Apple hit with lawsuit after admitting to slowing down iPhones with depleted batteries

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    nht said:
    jume said:
    ZooMigo said:
    mavemufc said:
    Does anyone think this is a big deal? Apple choose to preserve battery life over power in older models, they continually update iOS and bring new phones out every year, the way technology advances I don't see this as a big deal but thats maybe cause I'm more than happy to pay whatever for the latest phones, I certainly wouldn't expect my old iPhone 6 to work at the same speed as my new iPhone 10, regardless of how old the device is.
    This is a big deal for me. Apple crippled my device, without my consent. It is MY choice to decide when to buy a new one, not this forced obsolescence. I also wouldn't expect my iPhone 6 to perform as fast as an X, but I damn sure don't expect for the manufacturer to cripple a device I paid for either.
    Exactly. Give me a god damn option and I will decide if I want crippled iPhone.
    My iPhone 6 is showing only 80% capacity left and a wear level of high.  I’m still playing games on it without noticeable lag.

If your 6 is crippled then there’s likely something else going on.
    How did you find that information? Is it something I can check my own phone?
  • Reply 122 of 126
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    nht said:
    jume said:
    ZooMigo said:
    mavemufc said:
    Does anyone think this is a big deal? Apple choose to preserve battery life over power in older models, they continually update iOS and bring new phones out every year, the way technology advances I don't see this as a big deal but thats maybe cause I'm more than happy to pay whatever for the latest phones, I certainly wouldn't expect my old iPhone 6 to work at the same speed as my new iPhone 10, regardless of how old the device is.
    This is a big deal for me. Apple crippled my device, without my consent. It is MY choice to decide when to buy a new one, not this forced obsolescence. I also wouldn't expect my iPhone 6 to perform as fast as an X, but I damn sure don't expect for the manufacturer to cripple a device I paid for either.
    My iPhone 6 is showing only 80% capacity left and a wear level of high.  I’m still playing games on it without noticeable lag.

• Reply 123 of 126
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    The case has no merit. Once Apple references a bona fide safety issue in connection with this the lawsuit is dead in the water.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/apple-iphone-battery-slow

The most they can be nailed on is a lack of transparency, but that would depend on whether the user experience might be impacted drastically notwithstanding the safety component, which I suspect is negligible given other factors that would contribute to slower performance of older phones anyway. 
    There has been no user safety issue in connection to this upgrade. If there were a "bona fide" safety issue everyone would have been warned and told they have to run the update and why. Even the link you provided has no mention of a safety issue - none. The case has many reasons why it could succeed.  
  • Reply 124 of 126
    My problem isn't that they wrote iOS to throttle the phone when the battery starts to deplete, my problem is with the fact that they didn't disclose that fact.  Protecting the phone and the battery are reasonable things to do.  Keeping it secret, and letting people believe that they should replace the phone instead of the battery, probably isn't.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 125 of 126
    Soli said:
    nht said:
    jume said:
    ZooMigo said:
    mavemufc said:

Thank you @Soli ! Somehow I missed this response when you posted it. Either the forum software is glitchy and failed to show your reply, or I'm getting old and inattentive. It must be the former, because my mind is still as sharp as
    Soli