Second class action suit surrounding Apple's throttling of iPhones with depleted batteries...

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jcs2305 said:
    bitmod said:
    Nobody and no jury is going to believe this styeaming pile of bullshit from Apple, and rightly so. They would be well served to state the truth from here on - rather than keep feeding this bullshit narrative.

They throttled performance to encourage upgrading. They wrote this code as a narrative in case they were ever found out. Never because they wanted to prolong the period of people buying new phones and hurting profits. 
    They deceived everyone because they wanted a better customer experience???
    What kind of drooling morons do they take us for?

They are going to get absolutely destroyed in courts all over the globe and in the US congress.

If that were the case than why would performance return to normal after a battery replacement? The only bullshit narrative is the one you are trying so hard to create. The shutting down and battery drain are the same symptoms that the batteries that were replaced under Apple's replacement program showed. My GF's son's iPhone 6 had the same issue recently 79.00 + tax for a new battery and the phone runs like new again. Took an hour we had lunch next door while we waited...

So you are saying that if someone takes their device into the apple store and it is displaying this behavior ( random shut downs and battery drain and shutting down with 30 % etc..)  the only fix they offer is to replace the phone? If anything is bullshit it's the belief by yourself and others that are apparently afraid to speak up on an issue when in the Apple store and believe that a device needs to be replaced because the battery has gone bad..

It's nonsense like this that disappoints me with how Apple handled this.. People have been chomping at the bit for years trying to prove the forced obsolescence narrative and they pull this? Apple had to know that this had been a rumor circulating for years prior to this leak coming out.

I recently replaced a screen on an IPhone 6s at a Apple Store.  They were professional and helpful. When I walked out, I was thinking “dam this phone looks amazing”. It was in pristine condition and was totally worth the $150!

Now I’m wondering “how’s my battery looking” I know they ran a diagnostics...

If Apple recommended a battery replacement I would have spent the additional $79 without another thought.  It might have saved me an additional trip next year (etc.).  

My battery is probably fine, but I would have liked know for sure.  Apple could have handled this easily, instead they made the absolute worst decision.  This was a non issue until Apple made it a big problem.
    In a situation like that replacing the battery should be less than $79. The phone is already being opened to replace the glass. How about a $200 deal to replace the glass and the battery? 
  • Reply 102 of 140
    vonbrick said:
    Well, Apple doesn't design its devices and operating systems for really dumbs. There are Android and Windoze for thoze. Apple designs for the most sophisticated users.
    Uh, whether you want to admit it or not, most Apple operating systems are to computing devices what America Online was to the Internet.  Whether the user is "sophisticated" enough to use the device has nothing to do with it.  Apple users don't want computers; they want toasters.  They want simple.  That simplicity is part of their appeal.  If you can't admit that, then you're gonna have a real hard time keeping up in a discussion about what makes Apple successful or not.
    What discussion? The one that you try to initiate with your dumb assertion "most Apple operating systems are to computing devices what America Online was to the Internet"? You know nothing about operating systems. For the sake of your good Xmas wishes above I kindly deny your invitation to discussion.
    edited December 2017 magman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 103 of 140
    vonbrick said:
    Nothing is as mesmerizing as watching some die-hard Apple users attempt to prop up the company's lack of transparency knowing that if this had been Alphabet or Microsoft (or anyone else that ISN'T Apple), those same people would be verbally slicing and dicing their way to holiday bliss in this forum.

Oh...and before you claim I'm a Windows plant or a Google apologist...I typed this while wearing an Apple Watch and posted it from a Mac mini sitting inches from an iPhone 7 Plus in a home with a 2015 MacBook Pro, three Apple TV's with a bunch of old, spent Apple boxes in the corner of the basement.  I love the company...but I HATE that a third party and customers ALWAYS have to drag out of them an admission of being too secretive, of producing a substandard product or of being just plain wrong.

May you have a Merry Christmas and the happiest 2018 possible.
    Maybe Apple should be transparent about how they’re actually extending battery life and helping people use their old iPhones even longer by doing this.
  • Reply 104 of 140
    At one time in my life I would have said that there was no way Apple would never do such a thing as use an updated OS to cause battery problems on older phones. There is also a time not so long ago that I would have thought the American people would never elect a person like Donald Trump to be President. I really feel like this thing needs to be investigated throughly, and if found guilty, be punished severely.
  • Reply 105 of 140
    gatorguy said:

seankill said:
    jb510 said:
    Where do I sign on?  

When my iPhome 6 was 18 months old and still under AppleCare it started spontaneously dying when the battery remaining was 40% and I did something like shoot a video.  Apple wouldn’t replace the battery because I wasn’t on the current OS and because the battery did not “test” out of spec according to the Genius Bar. Sure enough months later when I finally gave up my jailbreak and updated iOS the sudden shutdowns stopped too, but now the phone was slow as heck....  so... I replaced it.  

This is the key thing people are missing. Is this isn’t just 4 year old phones. Let’s talk about what an old battery is...  in my case it should have been a manufactures defect under warranty replacement at 18 months and wasn’t because the software crippled it instead.  .

Phones should operate normally, full power, for at least their warranty duration, don’t you think?
    So my thought on your last question is: my car doesn’t throttle my engine when I am low on gas. To my knowledge, my MacBook doesn’t throttle my chips as the battery is aging. What makes the iPhone so special?

I bought a device that is expected to produce a certain level of preformance, I expect it to continue that level at all times unless otherwise told. Why cover up a failing battery? If it’s a serious problem, I will replace it, as most consumers would once it’s condition is poor. There is no defending Apple on this one. 

Not sure how big of a deal this is but the iOS versions here lately have been horrid on my iPhone 7. So bad, I am restarting or hard restarting my phone at least once per day, often multiple times per day. It’s like using a beta iOS or a Samsung. Really annoying. Generally it happens when using built in Apple apps too. Anyone else having a similar experience?
    No, but it may have a "limp home" mode in the event of some kind of problem. That's what this is. And, in the case of a depleted battery in at least the white plastic MacBooks, and MacBook Pros before 2010 for sure, and possibly more models, if it isn't capable of delivering enough power, or is not installed, the machine clocks itself down to properly operate.

I'm certainly not defending Apple's lack of response to the situation. However, there are chemical and physical realities associated with batteries, and the throttling in response to a depleted one is fine. Just not the lack of disclosure.

Again, the choices here are a crashing phone that shuts off randomly, or one that is slower and still works.
    Where exactly those disclosures should be would be my question.  There might be numerous fairly arcane situations that would need to be disclosed, if such disclosure is truly required.  

In the previous article, about the first lawsuit, a commenter pointed out that the OS throttles the clock speed to prevent thermal issues.  Should that be disclosed?  Where, and when?  

What about other issues that affect performance?  Running 32-bit apps, back before they were culled?  Should that have been disclosed at the time of a sale of an iPhone 5S, 6, 6S?  

How about the minor difference in processor performance between the Samsung and TMSC A10’s?  Should that have been printed on the back of each iPhone, like the P, (Philadelphia), D (Denver) or S (San Francisco) mint marks on old pennies?  

Then there’s the Intel versus Qualcomm modem speeds.  Again, print that on the back of the iPhone too?  Let users make a choice?  

The fact is, Apple doesn’t sell their iPhones on those specs.  They don’t promise or represent that the CPU will always run at a certain clock speed.  They do represent that each new CPU is faster than the previous generations, but that’s a relative comparison.  If two generations of CPU are each downclocked under similar conditions (to prevent a thermal issue, for example), then the relative performance claims will remain true.  The fact Apple doesn’t make a claim about absolute performance is, in my opinion, why these lawsuits will fail.  

Where is it that Apple should be so transparent regarding all these esoteric device management issues?  
    Dialog box, the first time it happens.

"Your battery is depleted and is affecting device performance. Make an appointment at a Genius Bar for testing and possible replacement."

Done.
    It already says that in the Settings app: Your battery need to be serviced. Better than a one time dialog since it is permanently there in the Settings app.

And once that notice appears, what you need is service, not transparency.
    Yeah, I know, but as this issue is proving that some users can be really dumb about it, I think the main screen without delving into a menu is appropriate.

And, let's be perfectly clear about this. This isn't a binary on/off toggle. This isn't a "Well, your battery is X depleted, so we're going to constantly cripple it." This is a transient situation, and only happens when the phone is under heavy load, and the battery can't keep up the voltage.
    Well, Apple doesn't design its devices and operating systems for really dumbs. There are Android and Windoze for thoze. Apple designs for the most sophisticated users.
    Of course Apple's iPhones are designed for dummies. That's part of the attraction, they are supposed to be simple to use that any Grandma or 8 year old can use 'em straight oughta the box. It's those Android techies with the rootable phones with the supposedly hard to understand devices. 
    When Douglas Engelbart invented the mouse in the 60s, that was not for dummies. That was for the most sophisticated scientists burning with the need to be the most productive within their mainframe timeshare. The simplicity called the mouse was born from the most sophisticated computer uses.

Edit:
    Similarly, the iPhone was born from the most sophisticated phone uses. The phone designed for dummies was the Blackberry at this time, with its physical keyboard. You know the story, the boss (one of them) thought that the physical keyboard was essential for ease of use.
    edited December 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 106 of 140
    damburke said:
    At one time in my life I would have said that there was no way Apple would never do such a thing as use an updated OS to cause battery problems on older phones. There is also a time not so long ago that I would have thought the American people would never elect a person like Donald Trump to be President. I really feel like this thing needs to be investigated throughly, and if found guilty, be punished severely.
    The performance is being slightly deprecated because the battery is old. You have the chain of events completely reversed.
    magman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 107 of 140
    johnbear said:
    daven said:
    johnbear said:
    dewme said:
    The problem is that we no longer live in a society where facts, reason, or rational explanations matter. Personal beliefs and perceptions, no matter how naive or subjective, are the only reality. Apple can try to explain this with sound engineering, scientific, and customer value principles and logic but it will not change the minds of those who have already decided that this incident fully confirms everything negative they already believe about Apple. There are many commenters who now attribute every perceived performance degradation on their device to be an intentional act by Apple to trick them into buying a new device, regardless of the health of their battery. Unfortunately it all starts at the top and there is no cure in sight.
    Here are my facts: My wife iPhone 5S on iOS 7 after 4 years runs as smooth as my iPhone 7 on iOS 10! I was very close to update the software on her 5S recently but glad I didn't. Based on my experience I'm inclined to believe what I suspected of apple for a while: they are shameless lying hypocrites and charlatans like most if not all large corporations!  
    And you just proved dewme's original point. Even though you suspect that your wife's phone performance would be degraded if the OS was upgraded, it hasn't been and still performs well. Based on this non-event and some unspecified previous experience, you conclude Apple is full of 'shameless lying hypocrites and charlatans'. I suggest that you look in the mirror.
    amigo, they are unscrupulous based on what they do by shamlesly slowing down older devices to make people upgrade. my wife phone wasnt upgraded because of the solid untheterd jailbreak that makes the phone usable. It alllows her to do a lot of other things including downloading youtube videos and music for offline use. As I was telling dewme, next time when you take your car to dealer hope they stuck it for you in the first gear to make you buy a newer model and tell you what roards to drive it on and who you can have as passengers. enjoy the apple philosophy..
    johnbear said:
    dewme said:
    Another very unfortunate aspect of the battery wear compensation workaround is the sudden proclamation by many that ALL system slowdown issues that have ever occurred with an iPhone are now attributable to this specific condition. Therefore, when this wildfire is finally quenched and some sort of workaround to the workaround is deployed by Apple (not sure what exactly will ever fully extinguish all the flamers), some users will absolutely still see occasional and intermittent slowdowns on their devices. What then? More backlash, did Apple lie about the "fix" or are they still engaged in nefarious plots to still trick current users into upgrading to a $1000 phone?

Nobody who's already made up their mind about Apple is going to allow themselves to look at these devices for what they really are. The iPhone is an incredibly complex integration of hardware, firmware, software, chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, physics, electromagnetics, and human factors. In other words, it's an engineered product. The performance of the iPhone at any given instant depends on a very deep stack of engineered design, integration, and trade offs all working together to deliver the greatest utility to the greatest number of users for the longest product lifetime.

When performance slowdowns, i.e., non-peak performance, occur any number of dependent processes, functions, or components anywhere in the engineered stack can be the cause. Overheating, overcooling, battery wear out, solid state memory wear out, excessive background processes/threads, stack/heap/freespace fragmentation, hung processes/threads, hot spinning processes/threads, poor cellular/wifi reception, degraded power components, physical damage, firmware bugs, kernel mode software bugs, user mode software bugs, badly implemented interprocess communication (IPC) strategies (inefficient use of locks, mutexes, semaphores, etc.), reference counting bugs, memory leaks, buffer overruns/underruns, and any one of a plethora of software implementations that is clearly "crap code" while not technically being a bug.

Everyone who contributes to the engineered stack in the iPhone, including Apple, app developers, and component suppliers, has an opportunity to upset the performance apple cart so to speak. When Apple releases a new version of iOS they often make changes in the stack to surface a new feature on the new SOC or to change existing behaviors, for example how apps behave in the background. Apple also exposes new and updated services to app developers that create additional performance related dependencies. Despite the fact that Apple takes a very stringent and engineered approach they don't always foresee every possible consequence and its impact on performance in every conceivable operational and environmental scenario. Oh, and it's a constantly moving target because everyone expects a Big New Wow every September. Plus, performance is not the only quality factor they have to be concerned with. All of the "ilities" like reliability, maintainability, modifiability, field serviceability, portability, and usability matter just as much as performance. 

I know, I know, nobody wants to hear about rational technical details and complexity when the only thing that matters is that they've been cruelly and personally victimized by Apple and its evil intentions. If being a victim and seeking justice for their suffering is all that matters then they'd best enjoy the wallowing because it's never going to end. As soon as Apple figures out a way to soothe the dying battery victim's suffering some other Apple induced product flaw will undoubtedly rear its ugly head, a slowdown will occur, and once again convince them that the unrequited perfection they demand in all things and entities, outside of themselves of course, is continuing to make their own lives miserable, and for that, nothing short of a class action suit will suffice. Even if the class action ends in bitter defeat, the communal sharing of cyber grief and phony outrage has brought them all a little closer together in body and spirit, thanks to Apple.
    you have a lot of free time I guess with these lengthy posts. nice apologetic try but it's all BS. this will not hold water in court 
    And thus you have just proven Dewme’s point... He presented a level-headed, factual post, that actually establishes why Apple did what they did, albeit the PR was handled poorly, no doubt. And here you come running your ignorant, uninformed mouth off, like you’ve been doing all thru this thread, like someone frothing at the mouth with a pitch fork in hand, so fucking pathetic.

Lawyers in this thread have already chimed in to state the obvious, common sense fact that these BS lawsuits, the actual BS here mind you, won’t be able to stand up and will likely get thrown out.

I’m a person who likes to be informed in full about a situation before making an opinion, and definitely appreciate posts like those from Dewme who are obviously thoughtful and insightful, and not the stupid BS being perpetrated by mainstream media.

If anything, this situation has demonstrated to me, once and for all, not to believe ANYTHING coming from those news outlets, because seeing this, I now believe it’s all BS, just like your idiotic pitchfork and tinfoil hat commentary.
    edited December 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 108 of 140
    vonbrick said:
    Uh, whether you want to admit it or not, most Apple operating systems are to computing devices what America Online was to the Internet.  Whether the user is "sophisticated" enough to use the device has nothing to do with it.  Apple users don't want computers; they want toasters.  They want simple.  That simplicity is part of their appeal.  If you can't admit that, then you're gonna have a real hard time keeping up in a discussion about what makes Apple successful or not.
    What discussion? The one that you try to initiate with your dumb assertion "most Apple operating systems are to computing devices what America Online was to the Internet"? You know nothing about operating systems. For the sake of your good Xmas wishes above I kindly deny your invitation to discussion.
    I know “nothing” about operating systems?  Well, damn.  I guess that’s it, then.  Crud.
  • Reply 109 of 140
    seankill said:
    jb510 said:
    Where do I sign on?  

When my iPhome 6 was 18 months old and still under AppleCare it started spontaneously dying when the battery remaining was 40% and I did something like shoot a video.  Apple wouldn’t replace the battery because I wasn’t on the current OS and because the battery did not “test” out of spec according to the Genius Bar. Sure enough months later when I finally gave up my jailbreak and updated iOS the sudden shutdowns stopped too, but now the phone was slow as heck....  so... I replaced it.  

This is the key thing people are missing. Is this isn’t just 4 year old phones. Let’s talk about what an old battery is...  in my case it should have been a manufactures defect under warranty replacement at 18 months and wasn’t because the software crippled it instead.  .

Phones should operate normally, full power, for at least their warranty duration, don’t you think?
    So my thought on your last question is: my car doesn’t throttle my engine when I am low on gas. To my knowledge, my MacBook doesn’t throttle my chips as the battery is aging. What makes the iPhone so special?

I bought a device that is expected to produce a certain level of preformance, I expect it to continue that level at all times unless otherwise told. Why cover up a failing battery? If it’s a serious problem, I will replace it, as most consumers would once it’s condition is poor. There is no defending Apple on this one. 

Not sure how big of a deal this is but the iOS versions here lately have been horrid on my iPhone 7. So bad, I am restarting or hard restarting my phone at least once per day, often multiple times per day. It’s like using a beta iOS or a Samsung. Really annoying. Generally it happens when using built in Apple apps too. Anyone else having a similar experience?
    No, but it may have a "limp home" mode in the event of some kind of problem. That's what this is. And, in the case of a depleted battery in at least the white plastic MacBooks, and MacBook Pros before 2010 for sure, and possibly more models, if it isn't capable of delivering enough power, or is not installed, the machine clocks itself down to properly operate.

I'm certainly not defending Apple's lack of response to the situation. However, there are chemical and physical realities associated with batteries, and the throttling in response to a depleted one is fine. Just not the lack of disclosure.

Again, the choices here are a crashing phone that shuts off randomly, or one that is slower and still works.
    Exactly Apple could have handled this 100% better but most of this is Apple haters getting what they want. Even if Apple didnt do this and the phones shut down half of yall would be like why didnt Apple do anything to stop my phone from shutting down.Just like he stated its basically the slow down to match battery or a phone that does not work AT ALL. Also dont forget you can get the battery replaced. $79 is cheaper than an upgrade if its that serious. Like I said Apple should have disclosed it better but most people are over reacting wayyyy to much. Chemistry 101 folks batteries  don't last forever and function the same over time, but technology always advances.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 110 of 140
    bluefire1 said:
    I thought transparency was one of their key beliefs.
    They lied.
  • Reply 111 of 140
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    MicDorsey said:
    Well duh, your battery is going to lose potency after a few years, and that will affect your iPhone's performance. But wait, since Apple has tons of cash and you can't scrape together $79 for a battery replacement, the obvious answer is to sue. And of course, Apple is in a no-win situation regardless of what it does. Scenario 1: Apple does not slow down performance on a 5-year-old battery, and your iPhone shuts down periodically. LAWSUIT! Scenario 2: Apple does slow down performance so your iPhone does not shut down. LAWSUIT! Scenario 3: Users apply some common sense (so you know already this ain't gonna happen) and replace their old battery. Problem solved.

You forgot Scenario 4:  Apple issues the software fix to slow down batteries with low voltage issues.  Apple discloses such a fix in advance  and gives the user an option to turn it off.  

There.  Fixed that for you.  
    [Deleted User]muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 112 of 140
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,860member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I think Apple just has to be transparent about the battery lifespan and tell users that on one hand they can expect updates for up to 5 years and on the other hand to expect the device to slow down as the battery gets older and the OS acts to maximize battery life. Being up front about it would have helped. Now Apple has to do damage control and the haters out there will just say that Apple wants people to buy a new phone. Offering battery replacement more obviously would help. 
    Battery replacement has been available for some time for $79.

Agree about more transparency, though.
    Apple should do what they did with the Mac OS on the MacBook Pro where it monitors the battery cycle and apply that to the iOS. Have a software that is integrated into the iOS where it can monitor the health, cycle of charge and discharge of the battery. I think a class action law suit is a bit extreme, but Apple could have made more aware of the matter before people found out on their own, where as then Apple had to confessed to the situation when it was to late and made them look bad even though that may have not been their attention. Technology is expensive for anyone so I personally feel that whatever the hardware is that it should have software that can tell us the health of the device and give as warnings when something is wrong. 
    Apple does monitor the life of a devices battery. You can go into any Apple Store and they'll run a diagnostic on it which will tell them (and you) how far depleted the battery is inside your device. They can also tell you the cycle count on your battery as well. Mine for example is 39 as I happen to have access to AST2 so I can run the diagnostics on an iOS device. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 113 of 140
    sdw2001 said:
    MicDorsey said:
    Well duh, your battery is going to lose potency after a few years, and that will affect your iPhone's performance. But wait, since Apple has tons of cash and you can't scrape together $79 for a battery replacement, the obvious answer is to sue. And of course, Apple is in a no-win situation regardless of what it does. Scenario 1: Apple does not slow down performance on a 5-year-old battery, and your iPhone shuts down periodically. LAWSUIT! Scenario 2: Apple does slow down performance so your iPhone does not shut down. LAWSUIT! Scenario 3: Users apply some common sense (so you know already this ain't gonna happen) and replace their old battery. Problem solved.

You forgot Scenario 4:  Apple issues the software fix to slow down batteries with low voltage issues.  Apple discloses such a fix in advance  and gives the user an option to turn it off.  

There.  Fixed that for you.  
    As far as I’m concerned, @sdw2001 just finished this.  All Apple had to do was come out from behind the tired reality distortion field and tell it’s users what it was about to do and what it would mean for them. They didn’t do that.  Period.  Nice work, @sdw2001. ;) 
  • Reply 114 of 140

And thus you have just proven Dewme’s point... He presented a level-headed, factual post, that actually establishes why Apple did what they did, albeit the PR was handled poorly, no doubt. And here you come running your ignorant, uninformed mouth off, like you’ve been doing all thru this thread, like someone frothing at the mouth with a pitch fork in hand, so fucking pathetic.

Lawyers in this thread have already chimed in to state the obvious, common sense fact that these BS lawsuits, the actual BS here mind you, won’t be able to stand up and will likely get thrown out.

I’m a person who likes to be informed in full about a situation before making an opinion, and definitely appreciate posts like those from Dewme who are obviously thoughtful and insightful, and not the stupid BS being perpetrated by mainstream media.

If anything, this situation has demonstrated to me, once and for all, not to believe ANYTHING coming from those news outlets, because seeing this, I now believe it’s all BS, just like your idiotic pitchfork and tinfoil hat commentary.
    will see magman who's ignorant. apple won't get away with this easly and the 'lawyers' on this thread know that 
  • Reply 115 of 140
    johnbear said:
    amigo, they are unscrupulous based on what they do by shamlesly slowing down older devices to make people upgrade.
    Try again with what is actually happening instead of your fantasies.
    oh, you're hurt? isn't that cute? it hurts but it's true 
  • Reply 116 of 140
    johnbear said:
    oh, you're hurt? isn't that cute? it hurts but it's true 
    And therein lies the rub.  Truth != fact.

(I hope AI is happy with all the lowest-common-denominator clicks they've attracted.)
  • Reply 117 of 140
    macxpress said:
    Apple dropped the ball, big time.

Apple deceived millions into buying new phones when the problem could have been fixed at the Apple store for $79.

All Apple needed to do is inform users with degrading batteries, and give them options.

The coverup at Apple should absolutely result in damages awarded, and whoever ordered this being fired.

That said, the Class Action mentioned isn’t going to succeed.  But one that is crafted properly (by someone that understands the situation) likely will.

This isn’t likely to be a big hit to Apple financially, but it is a PR problem.

If I was Apple, I’d admit a mistake was made.  Throw someone under the bus for the decision.  And give owners something to make them happy.

I suggest a $10 App Store gift card to all owners, and a $10 rebate on a battery replacement is appropriate.

Apple makes back $3 on the gift cards, and it’s unlikely Apple would lose money on the $69 (79-10) battery replacements.

Apple would restore the good will, and probably profit from letting people know that it’s time to replace their batteries.

It would also ensure that when people do upgrade it’s to another Apple device.

Two words for this entire post...Bull shit! 

Apple owes customers nothing. If a customer suspects an issue with their phone, all they have to do is take it to a service center to get it looked at. Why is it Apple's responsibility to ask every customer "Hey how is your phone running today"? This isn't an issue with the phone. Its just something that happens naturally over time which is exactly the same thing that happens with ALL batteries. They eventually lose their ability to fully charge and they will also deplete quicker as well. 

Why should Apple give out gift cards? I don't get this. Should they have been more transparent about this, yes, but this doesn't mean the customer is owed anything in the end. 
    Re: “Why is it Apple’s responsibly to ask every customer, Hey how is your phone running today?”

But that’s exactly what Apple did.  When updating the OS they ran a diagnostic that identified a problem with some batteries.  They then arbitrarily throttled those phones performance causing them to run slower.

Re: “Apple owes customers nothing.”

That’s BS without customers continuing to buy Apple products, Apple would cease to exist.  Apple messed up, and needs to acknowledge the fact with an apology.  The gift cards would be a cheap PR move.

For example, years ago I purchased a Mitsubishi vehicle.  A month into owning it a bubble formed in the paint.  I took it in several times for them to fix, every time the manager happed to be “out” and they refused to fix it without his approval.  Eventually I gave up, and said F them.  I’ll never own another Mitsubishi again, and bad mouth them at every opportunity.  Another time, I had a old Honda.  A electrical problem in the AC was causing the car to stall.  They asked me what I wanted to do.  I didn’t need it (living in SOCAL) so they unplugged it and charged me nothing.  Little things like good customer service goes a long way.  I eventually bought another Honda.  

Companies spend a fortune on marketing, but a little customer service is a cheap investment to get later sales.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 118 of 140
  • Reply 119 of 140
    johnbear said:
    dewme said:
    The problem is that we no longer live in a society where facts, reason, or rational explanations matter. Personal beliefs and perceptions, no matter how naive or subjective, are the only reality. Apple can try to explain this with sound engineering, scientific, and customer value principles and logic but it will not change the minds of those who have already decided that this incident fully confirms everything negative they already believe about Apple. There are many commenters who now attribute every perceived performance degradation on their device to be an intentional act by Apple to trick them into buying a new device, regardless of the health of their battery. Unfortunately it all starts at the top and there is no cure in sight.
    Here are my facts: My wife iPhone 5S on iOS 7 after 4 years runs as smooth as my iPhone 7 on iOS 10! I was very close to update the software on her 5S recently but glad I didn't. Based on my experience I'm inclined to believe what I suspected of apple for a while: they are shameless lying hypocrites and charlatans like most if not all large corporations!  
    Dude, more new software ,means more complex code, with more features & animations.Your Hardware is not upgraded, like your software. So , generally your phone will slow down with the progression of time. But personally I found little difference between iOS 6 iPhone 5 & iOS 10.3.2 iPhone 5
    Why do so many older models get the latest software? So Apple can put up a slide showing most of the install base on the latest software and make fun of Google’s so-called fragmentation? What good is being on the latest software if it makes your phone experience not great? I know Apple says it’s worked on making the latest software better for older devices but every year Ars Technics tests this out and the experience is still not that great. 
    My iPad Mini 2 (A7) performs better under iOS 11 than your iPad Pro with almost no lag. I turned off many features, notably transparency, motion, many of background app refreshes; disabled recent apps on the dock, disabled video overlay, keeping only a couple of Safari tabs open... I always close unused apps via app switcher, closing them releases significant memory. I suggest to do the same on your iPad Pro.

What I mean, owners of older devices can optimize the operating system along with their usage patterns and can still benefit from the deeper enhancements brought by the latest versions and my iPad Mini 2 battery lasts longer under iOS 11. OS X Leopard 10.5.8 still keeps an iBook G4 (a 2005 PowerPC machine) functioning as a media server via iTunes Home Sharing. I am very glad Apple supports older devices with the new OS releases and this is one reason many people commits to Apple. And Apple doesn't force anyone to install the latest OS version. If the government would keep your five years old car out of traffic you would be enraged. That is the point.
    Who wants to have to do all that? No Apple doesn’t force OS upgrades but I’m sure like my 75 year old mother a lot of people do when they get the notification. They’re not thinking oh if I do this it will slow down my device. They’re thinking if Apple is telling me new software is available I better update.
    Do not bully your mother for updating, she does the right thing. Update is essential. Slowness and optimizations are secondary issues. Anyone can help your mother with optimizations, the neighbour's kid, the nearby PC dealer. Thanks to the update her device remains fully functional, without disrupting her Netflix, Facetime, WhatsApp or whatever.
    What happened to it just works? If I have to do all these optimizations then iOS has just become Android.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 120 of 140
    johnbear said:
    dewme said:
    Dude, more new software ,means more complex code, with more features & animations.Your Hardware is not upgraded, like your software. So , generally your phone will slow down with the progression of time. But personally I found little difference between iOS 6 iPhone 5 & iOS 10.3.2 iPhone 5
    Dude, what major life-changing differences have you found between the final version of of iOS 10 and the current version of iOS 11?
    muthuk_vanalingam