Advanced TrueDepth camera, Face ID "major drivers" of iPhone X user satisfaction

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    So let me get this straight, iPhone upgraders that purchased iPhone X found the TrueDepth camera and Face ID authentication more attractive than the missing Home button and Touch ID?  If this is news, then you may be shocked to learn that the Earth is round.  :open_mouth:

Meanwhile, persisting iPhone 6/7 users and iPhone upgraders that purchased iPhone 8 remain disinterested in iPhone X's TrueDepth camera and Face ID as they are turned off by the missing Home button and Touch ID which they find are primary drivers of "extremely negative" sentiment.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gwanberg said:
    So let me get this straight, iPhone upgraders that purchased iPhone X found the TrueDepth camera and Face ID authentication more attractive than the missing Home button and Touch ID?  If this is news, then you may be shocked to learn that the Earth is round.  :open_mouth:

Meanwhile, persisting iPhone 6/7 users and iPhone upgraders that purchased iPhone 8 remain disinterested in iPhone X's TrueDepth camera and Face ID as they are turned off by the missing Home button and Touch ID which they find are primary drivers of "extremely negative" sentiment.
    Nope. You've got it completely wrong. The only people with “extremely negative sentiment” are the trolls and haters that infest Apple centric forums. They insisted that the iPhone X would be an  abject failure because of the features you mention. As usual they were stupidly wrong.
    watto_cobrachiatmay
  • Reply 43 of 63
    duel said:
    After using iPhone X for about 1 month:

To me Touch ID is superior to Face ID. Face ID fails more often and requires me to type in a passcode. Especially in a car, using Apple Pay"

You are using Apple Pay in wrong way If you fail with that! What you do right before when you need it, you double tap sleep wake button, you scan your face BEFORE and now you are ready to use it! You know it works everytime when you get close to reader and it takes under second and you are done (you don't do the scanning now).

For me it sounds that you are using Apple Pay like this: When you got the price from reader you take your phone close to scanner and try to scan your face, yeah NO!

I used Apple Pay with touch ID like you try to use face ID, with face ID i changed the way for the way i just explained to you and now i know every single time that it works because i scanned my face upfront. The face ID pass stays on 30 or 60 seconds, don't remember which one it was.
    Hey, that’s not how I use Apple Pay. I use it as you described and Apple advertised. Touch ID was both more elegant (authenticate with finger while holding at terminal), speedy and accurate.
    tango81
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Bacillus3 said:
    A limited survey probably made under a few customers that need to justify their purchase. With solutions for issues that didn't exist or were made up by Apple themselves. Clever marketing - but for me it is just too much hype only to get rid of a few bezels (that is, hardly...) Hopefully animojis bring customers in higher atmospheres to distract them from the intolerable design issues remaining (shatter prone glass housing, limited battery, protruding camera) 2018: Time to switch to a manufacturer that gets it right instead of those throttlers from Cupertino - mimicking the Steve that once was
    Oh look, we have a new one in our midsts. It just kills you that people actually enjoy products from the #1 brand, the most successful public firm in human history. Your pain compels you to troll on an apple site, attempting to express the neurosis by stating and restating how much you don’t like it that other people enjoy their products and tools. 

Several familiar troll tropes, but in the end your execution is poor. Troll Score: 0 of 10. 
    Now that any less than stellar iPhX experiences here are structurally being denied and met with hate - also ref. Rem.Koolhaas personal experience - that says more about the misanthrope nature of "defenders" than anyting else.
    Sadly for them, people retain the right to dislike a product (whether a BMW, Ferrari, or iPhone X) because of it characteristics or price/performance ratio.
    This all proves their ability to handle criticism as well as some narcists on the Apple Board.
    And for some, the need to justify an over $1k-purchase
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    As I get more used to this phone, I realize how much I love it. When I pick up my iPhone 7 or iPad mini 4, they seem odd and old, suddenly. 
    Yet according to a Bloomberg report today these feature apparently are not the big draw many thought they would be.   Thus we will see a big cut in demand next quarter.   
  • Reply 46 of 63
    tango81 said:

Scroll bar blocked in landscape. Super annoying for me who surfs the web. 

People will have personal opinion & agenda but this information is just plain wrong. 

And btw, I still haven’t found any video that got blocked by notches. All I found is all video are more enjoyable, especially in dark scenes. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 47 of 63
    tango81 said:
    tango81 said:
    I don’t own an X, I have used one first hand.
    I set two up for close relatives. 
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:
    TouchID (2nd gen) is faster
    TouchID is one step to unlock
    Notch blocks video, super annoying for me who enjoying watching videos in landscape
    Aspect ratio is all wrong. iPhone 6 & 6 Plus can be used in full screen to watch video. 

For £1,000, that’s too many compromises. Hopefully next year the iPhone 9 should eliminate many if not all of these. 
    Another guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The notch does not block video, unless you willfully choose to zoom-in on your video, which I never did even on pre-X models because doing so chops off the sides of the video content. 

Face ID is the same number of steps as Touch ID — one. Swipe up. That’s it. And it's even fewer steps than Touch ID if you want to view notification details (ex: iMessage contents) -- simply look at screen, no need to perform any action.

No idea what you’re talking about with scrolling in safari in landscape, works fine here, with scroll bars no identical to vertical. But I actually have one, so...
    Does this happen to you when browsing the web in landscape:

https://twitter.com/BenPackard/status/907785129829036033

If not, comment.
    Oh.. the internet.. lol.

No, it doesn’t happen to me. 

(That’s from September. Beta software clearly?)
    edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 48 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I suspect what many of you seem to mis here is that features (good or bad) are not good enough to overcome iPhones high price for a good segment of the market.  The question of a feature being liked by current buyers does not indicate that demand will remain high.   I can see Apple needing to selling the X at a significant discount next quarter to drive sales.   2018 could be the first year ever where Apple has to discount a 4 month old phone.   
  • Reply 49 of 63
    wizard69 said:
    I suspect what many of you seem to mis here is that features (good or bad) are not good enough to overcome iPhones high price for a good segment of the market.  The question of a feature being liked by current buyers does not indicate that demand will remain high.   I can see Apple needing to selling the X at a significant discount next quarter to drive sales.   2018 could be the first year ever where Apple has to discount a 4 month old phone.   
    I would agree with this opinion except for the fact that I work in cell phone sales. I’m amazed at how many people, even non techy people, are purchasing the X. I would have guessed early adopters would go with the X and the masses would’ve gone with the 8 or 8 Plus, but that has not been the case in my store. Maybe now that Christmas is over the story will be different but so far the demand, even among average users, for the iPhone X has been sky high 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Bacillus3 said:

Now that any less than stellar iPhX experiences here are structurally being denied and met with hate - also ref. Rem.Koolhaas personal experience - that says more about the misanthrope nature of "defenders" than anyting else.
    Sadly for them, people retain the right to dislike a product (whether a BMW, Ferrari, or iPhone X) because of it characteristics or price/performance ratio.
    This all proves their ability to handle criticism as well as some narcists on the Apple Board.
    It’s not about hate or anything else you just mentioned. I don’t care if someone says hey I don’t think the iPhone X is worth the price. Heck I own one and I’m not sure if it is. What I can tell you is that it’s easily the best phone I’ve ever owned and a lot of fun to use. I do have an issue with trolls spreading false information about the way the phone works. The amount of FUD about this phone is off the charts. People who obviously have never used the phone complaining about things that aren’t really issues with the phone for people who actually own the phone. Maybe, just maybe, the people that own and use the phone know more about it than those that read something in twitter or Facebook 
    edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 51 of 63
    tango81 said:
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:
    Notch blocks video, super annoying for me who enjoying watching videos in landscape
    Aspect ratio is all wrong. iPhone 6 & 6 Plus can be used in full screen to watch video. 

For £1,000, that’s too many compromises. Hopefully next year the iPhone 9 should eliminate many if not all of these. 
    Another guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The notch does not block video, unless you willfully choose to zoom-in on your video, which I never did even on pre-X models because doing so chops off the sides of the video content. 

Face ID is the same number of steps as Touch ID — one. Swipe up. That’s it. And it's even fewer steps than Touch ID if you want to view notification details (ex: iMessage contents) -- simply look at screen, no need to perform any action.

No idea what you’re talking about with scrolling in safari in landscape, works fine here, with scroll bars no identical to vertical. But I actually have one, so...
    Does this happen to you when browsing the web in landscape:

https://twitter.com/BenPackard/status/907785129829036033

If not, comment.

Are any of these user experience gripes relevant to you:

https://youtu.be/0V5_uU3NNpw

I personally, expect more from Apple (since they have set the bar so high) given the price tag, Have a nice day. 
    No, it does not. If I use landscape with the notch on the right (which I usually don't), iOS places the scrollbar to the left of it, not "behind" it. So again, no idea what you're talking about. 

As for the "IPHONE X USABILITY IS A NIGHTMARE!" video, I'm not going to watch some hyperbolic troll trash, sorry. Meanwhile, I have the product being discussed, used it extensively daily, and find it a delight.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    tango81 said:
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:

The notch does block video, unless you change the zoom setting. 
    TouchId is one click to unlock and get to home screen. FaceId you need to look at the phone, wait, then swipe up.

This covers some other issues with the user experience:
    https://youtu.be/0V5_uU3NNpw
    WRONG. Again dude, it's obvious you don't own or use the X.

1) Notch -- does NOT block video, unless you willfully choose to zoom-in on a video. 

2) Face ID -- you do NOT look at phone, wait, swipe up. You just swipe up, it scans your face as you're raising and swiping, so it's no added steps. Apple's own video (has a chick in glasses giving the basics) clearly states "You don't have to lift it to your face and wait". 

...you simply don't know what you're talking about, and are making things up in order to troll this board.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    duel said:
    After using iPhone X for about 1 month:

To me Touch ID is superior to Face ID. Face ID fails more often and requires me to type in a passcode. Especially in a car, using Apple Pay"

You are using Apple Pay in wrong way If you fail with that! What you do right before when you need it, you double tap sleep wake button, you scan your face BEFORE and now you are ready to use it! You know it works everytime when you get close to reader and it takes under second and you are done (you don't do the scanning now).

For me it sounds that you are using Apple Pay like this: When you got the price from reader you take your phone close to scanner and try to scan your face, yeah NO!

I used Apple Pay with touch ID like you try to use face ID, with face ID i changed the way for the way i just explained to you and now i know every single time that it works because i scanned my face upfront. The face ID pass stays on 30 or 60 seconds, don't remember which one it was.
    Hey, that’s not how I use Apple Pay. I use it as you described and Apple advertised. Touch ID was both more elegant (authenticate with finger while holding at terminal), speedy and accurate.
    Nope. Apple Pay with Face ID is exactly as speedy:

1) while taking phone out of pocket, double-tap side button
    2) place over POS terminal while looking at phone

....done. Touch ID:

1) while taking phone out of pocket, place finger on Touch ID sensor
    2) place over POS terminal (while also looking at it to see that it worked)

...two steps either way, and during either you're going to look at your phone. There is no additional step or barrier. You're just being silly.

• Reply 54 of 63

Bacillus3 said:
    Bacillus3 said:
    A limited survey probably made under a few customers that need to justify their purchase. With solutions for issues that didn't exist or were made up by Apple themselves. Clever marketing - but for me it is just too much hype only to get rid of a few bezels (that is, hardly...) Hopefully animojis bring customers in higher atmospheres to distract them from the intolerable design issues remaining (shatter prone glass housing, limited battery, protruding camera) 2018: Time to switch to a manufacturer that gets it right instead of those throttlers from Cupertino - mimicking the Steve that once was
    Oh look, we have a new one in our midsts. It just kills you that people actually enjoy products from the #1 brand, the most successful public firm in human history. Your pain compels you to troll on an apple site, attempting to express the neurosis by stating and restating how much you don’t like it that other people enjoy their products and tools. 

Several familiar troll tropes, but in the end your execution is poor. Troll Score: 0 of 10. 
    It's not about a need to justify -- I justified my purchase immediately because as a dev I work in technology and am using this tool constantly. A grand over two years is no different and in fact less than my various computers and laptops. It of course makes sense and is justified -- fifty bucks a month, give me a break. Most people spend triple that on cable TV for some reason. 

No, it's about identifying haters, liars, and trolls, and debunking their absurdly stupid claims. Maybe you're too cheap to spend a grand over two years, who knows. Who cares. The X is the future of iPhones, and this tech will be trickling down across the line. You can pick it up when the tech is cheaper and then you won't be able to whine about the price.
  • Reply 55 of 63

wizard69 said:
    As I get more used to this phone, I realize how much I love it. When I pick up my iPhone 7 or iPad mini 4, they seem odd and old, suddenly. 
    Yet according to a Bloomberg report today these feature apparently are not the big draw many thought they would be.   Thus we will see a big cut in demand next quarter.   
    Bloomberg = Mark Gurman, pro-troll. He has no idea, he just guesses like everybody else.
  • Reply 56 of 63

wizard69 said:
    Yes, and it could be the first year we see big foot. Who knows, anything's possible, right!?
  • Reply 57 of 63

Bacillus3 said:
    Bacillus3 said:

It's not about a need to justify -- I justified my purchase immediately because as a dev I work in technology and am using this tool constantly. A grand over two years is no different and in fact less than my various computers and laptops. It of course makes sense and is justified -- fifty bucks a month, give me a break. Most people spend triple that on cable TV for some reason. 

No, it's about identifying haters, liars, and trolls, and debunking their absurdly stupid claims. Maybe you're too cheap to spend a grand over two years, who knows. Who cares. The X is the future of iPhones, and this tech will be trickling down across the line. You can pick it up when the tech is cheaper and then you won't be able to whine about the price.
    Congrats on how easy you spend 1 grand ! Some other (billionaire) guy out there may spend it a 10 thousand times easier than you...
    But this self-affirmation adds more to the notion "Ask what any fool would pay" than to the competitive price/performance ratio or a really compelling device.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 58 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Bacillus3 said:

Bacillus3 said:
    Bacillus3 said:

Congrats on how easy you spend 1 grand !
    Gee, if only Apple and its agents had come up with a payment plan.../s
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 63
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    gwanberg said:

Nope. You've got it completely wrong. The only people with “extremely negative sentiment” are the trolls and haters that infest Apple centric forums. They insisted that the iPhone X would be an  abject failure because of the features you mention. As usual they were stupidly wrong.
    I guess I'm one of those Trollers as I bought an 8Plus at Thanksgiving as I like TouchID and don't think $200 extra for faceID is worthwhile.   Hope you enjoy it.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Once more it would appear as though Apple actually knows what they are doing - listen to this, armchair CEOs and nerds! ;)

My my wife has the X and we both love it. The one thing I clearly dislike, however, is the nickel and dimming, here e.g. by saving the practical plastic case for the wired headphones and replacing it with some one time paper thingy. 
    And yes, I do realize they like you to buy the AirPods (I have and love them, but still very short in supply so I’m not the only one it seems). 
    The plastic wired headphone case was never practical as it took too much effort to get them back into it. I don’t know a single person that uses it. Thus the “paper solution” is much more eco friendly.