Review: Apple's powerhouse iMac Pro wows with stellar performance and design

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

wozwoz said:

macxpress said:
    As Steve would say, this iMac is "dead on arrival".
    Who gives a shit? Steve is dead...he's not running Apple anymore. Its not his company, this is a fucking pointless post. Get the fuck over it. Stop it with this Steve this, Steve that shit!
    While he physical embodiment of Steve may be gone, ... his ideas, work, and inspiration live on in the Mac, OS X and Apple ... they are Apple. If you don't understand this, or why people 'create' in the first place, then you understand nothing. Apple is his company.  

[ macxpress, you should also try find more polite ways to express your opinions, such as they are. ] 
    Trolls don’t need politeness.  They need a banhammer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    wozwoz said:

Use a hub. There, it is modular now.
    Lol - funny.
    So your point is ... Get rid of all the unnecessary ports on the rear stuck up half way with wires drooping from them, and use a hub. I agree. But that also means - as others keep on saying - that this is an inherently confused machine. It is a consumer design, with lots of ports added (pretending to make it Pro) that make no sense. As you say: less ports, and get a hub.
    Nope, the machine isn’t confused, it’s you that is confused. This is an iMac Pro. By definition it’s a mix between the popular iMac which has been serving a prosumer market, and a Mac Pro. The AIO form factor, including ports on back, is par for the course. You are not forced to use them if they offend you for some bizarre reason. Others will. 

If you have some philosophical problem with an AIO, or the very real fact that many pros (software devs in particular) have been using them, then just relax and wait for the modular Pro. i’m sure there will be tons to whine about there too, so you’ll win either way, right!?
    edited January 2018 williamlondonchiaorthiconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    macwill said:
    Sure it "wows"...until you experience a power failure in the middle of a software update (or other "certain circumstances" that Apple does not specify), and it becomes a paperweight until you have another Mac with High Sierra to perform the reset required by the T2 chip. I can't believe that didn't at least make the "con" list. It's a deal-breaker for me, even if I could afford it.
    What  ... you run your Mac without a UPS?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Marvin said:
    xzu said:
    sflocal said:
    wozwoz said:
    Nice review

>  iMac Pro now has four (Thunderbolt 3) ports

And there immediately is the first problem with the iMac all-in-one design:  if you have four Thunderbolt 3 connections + USB thingies in and out ... + ethernet etc ...  the wires going into this thing will start looking mayhem on your desk, elevated from the back of the monitor. That's another reason why a modular design, like the R2D2 Mac Pro is just a better design for the pro market. You can have all the wires either on the floor, or at desk level to the side ... and just a single cable running to your monitor.
    Your ignorance really shows here.  Not even worth the effort.

Come back when your business depends on doing real work instead of playing "Candy Crush".
    wozwoz is not wrong. I have done more 6 million dollars worth of architectural fees on Macs. Your crass comment and insult adds nothing to the discussion. https://imgur.com/JbwHSSM

The iMac Pro is great AIO, but doesn't fulfill every pros needs, even Apple has stated that.
    Those pictures showing the back of the Mac Pro never make sense. The same bunch of cables would be there on any Mac Pro. It has a power cable (same), two display cables (same), two audio cables (same), ethernet cable (same).

The only difference could come from 1 USB/TB cable for internal vs external storage. How does 1 cable make the difference? If it's about the machine sitting on the floor, put it on the floor and it still takes up less space. Here's a typical Mac Pro setup and you can see the same mess of cables coming out the back:

Both these images demonstrate why the iMac Pro is better. It has built-in speakers so no audio or speaker power cables, built-in webcam so no extra camera cable, power cable is shared with the display and no display cable needed at all. If you want to be clutter-free, this is the best solution:

First look Apples powerful iMac Pro
    To be fair my trash can Mac Pro doesn't have much in the way of a camera, speakers or amp but the Apple LCD proved the exact same camera, speakers and amp the iMac does with little in the way of extra wiring.  Don't get me wrong I like the iMac Pro but I love the ergonomics of my Mac Pro and vastly prefer it over my previous (and many) Cheese Graters. That all said,  I am really excited about what Apple may have in store with the next gen Mac Pro.  I look forward to reading the upcoming rumors on AI. :)
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I’d love to buy one and I can afford one but it’s more powerful than I need so in real world usage for me, it’d be no better than a well specced standard 5k iMac. I just wish they’d used a larger screen, 32”, 34”, 36”, super wide screen like 21:9 etc.

markaceto
  • Reply 46 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    I would love one of these, but happy with my new MacBook Pro. Just waiting for Apple to release a large hi- res flat display to hook it up to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I had hoped the Vega running at 83% a slotted ones core and memory speed (13.5 vs 11Tflops, 483GB/s vs 400, for the 64) would mean at least absolutely 0 dips past that point even on extended combined load. Looks like there's another 10% drop over time even beyond that. I'd like to see that combined load performance looked into more, particularly with the 64 version. And curious if ramping up the fans manually can prevent it (but it sounds like it was at 100% at that point anyways, so probably not). 
    xzu
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MacPro said:

Marvin said:
    xzu said:
    sflocal said:
    wozwoz said:
    Nice review

And there immediately is the first problem with the iMac all-in-one design:  if you have four Thunderbolt 3 connections + USB thingies in and out ... + ethernet etc ...  the wires going into this thing will start looking mayhem on your desk, elevated from the back of the monitor. That's another reason why a modular design, like the R2D2 Mac Pro is just a better design for the pro market. You can have all the wires either on the floor, or at desk level to the side ... and just a single cable running to your monitor.

Come back when your business depends on doing real work instead of playing "Candy Crush".
    wozwoz is not wrong. I have done more 6 million dollars worth of architectural fees on Macs. Your crass comment and insult adds nothing to the discussion. https://imgur.com/JbwHSSM

The iMac Pro is great AIO, but doesn't fulfill every pros needs, even Apple has stated that.
    Those pictures showing the back of the Mac Pro never make sense. The same bunch of cables would be there on any Mac Pro. It has a power cable (same), two display cables (same), two audio cables (same), ethernet cable (same).

The only difference could come from 1 USB/TB cable for internal vs external storage. How does 1 cable make the difference? If it's about the machine sitting on the floor, put it on the floor and it still takes up less space. Here's a typical Mac Pro setup and you can see the same mess of cables coming out the back:

Both these images demonstrate why the iMac Pro is better. It has built-in speakers so no audio or speaker power cables, built-in webcam so no extra camera cable, power cable is shared with the display and no display cable needed at all. If you want to be clutter-free, this is the best solution:

First look Apples powerful iMac Pro
    To be fair my trash can Mac Pro doesn't have much in the way of a camera, speakers or amp but the Apple LCD proved the exact same camera, speakers and amp the iMac does with little in the way of extra wiring.  Don't get me wrong I like the iMac Pro but I love the ergonomics of my Mac Pro and vastly prefer it over my previous (and many) Cheese Graters. That all said,  I am really excited about what Apple may have in store with the next gen Mac Pro.  I look forward to reading the upcoming rumors on AI. :)
    So are we.

Right now, we've got nothing. The summer before the MBP refresh we had a picture of the case, with the USB-C ports. 

A full year before the cylindrical MBP, we had discussions that it would be that form factor, or similar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 53
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Marvin said:

One nice feature about the AIO design is it will be on top of the desk not on the floor such as the computer shown in the image. Putting the cheese grater on the floor is an awful idea, especially on carpet. I leave my machines running all day and night in the office so I can log in while traveling or from home. If the machine is running on the floor when housekeeping comes in with their vacuums, the Mac fans will suck in a lot of dust from the floor. Not a good situation.

BTW excellent article. There is one mistake that I noticed. In the Premiere Pro section, the second paragraph mentions the iMac is faster than the iMac. I think I know what is what but it is not immediately clear.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    volcan said:
    Marvin said:

30" antiglare monitors, fully upgradable workstation, nothing throttled, no dongles, fans that fully cool the ventilated box... this is the future!

Wait...
  • Reply 51 of 53
    dtb200dtb200 Posts: 47member
    sflocal said:
    wozwoz said:
    Nice review

Other than 'freedom of speech' which I get, please may I ask why you feel the need to respond to another comment in such an unnecessary (IMO), unpleasant and aggressive way? Surely most of us are here to find out the latest about xyz and to have an informed debate and to help each other understand. I'm genuinely interested in your response as I just 'don't get it'. Thank you
  • Reply 52 of 53
    dtb200dtb200 Posts: 47member
    Great article (and video) thanks, although I think a few of your % improvement calculations might be incorrect? e.g. "Our 5-minute H.264 1080P project with 2 LUT's and film grain applied took 2 minutes and 3 seconds on the iMac Pro, and 2 min 27 seconds with the standard iMac, roughly 35 percent faster." I make that a 20% improvement, still good but..