Apple 2017 year in review: Apple Watch gains further independence from iPhone

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,953member
    Getting a first gen from a friend tomorrow. Will be my first Apple Watch experience. Every time i ask someone how they like theirs they say they love it. Not heard one first hand negative review yet.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 30
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    I have the cellular AW3 but am not going to pay the $10/mo for the rare occasions where it might be nice to make a 30-second phone call or send a two-word text. What a rip off.
    Me neither. I will cancel the $10 plan on my AW when the trial is up. I simply always have my phone available.  My wife will probably keep it. She occasionally runs off without her phone. I have used my AW for a phone call exactly twice, both just a test call. It works fine. But not worth $10 to me.  OTOH, I love the watch and very glad I upgraded from the series 0.  
  • Reply 23 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    cornchip said:
    Getting a first gen from a friend tomorrow. Will be my first Apple Watch experience. Every time i ask someone how they like theirs they say they love it. Not heard one first hand negative review yet.
    Just four months shy from being 3 years since it hit the market and I still people it's unnecessary, yet indispensable. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MacPro said:
    I love knowing when my wife rushes out and forgets her iPhone she is still covered with her Apple Watch 3.  $10 a month is a pittance for knowing she has communications abilities not least of which in case of an emergency.
    THIS!
    All those complaining about $10 a month are looking at LTE on the watch as a minor trinket.
    For others it can be, quite literally, a lifesaver.

    As a grandpa, I am looking forward to getting one for my grandson who is just now getting old enough to become independent and starting to roam.  AW w/ LTE would enable parents to track him or contact him as needed -- and he could call for help anytime and anywhere.

    And, as a grandpa, I am looking forward to getting one for myself for that "I've fallen and I can't get up" moment.

    $10/month?   C H E A P at twice the cost.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mauijoe said:
    I just got the 3 with no cellular and it seems to me that no matter how good it gets you are going to want to use it in conjunction with a phone. The wife did get the wifi+LTE however so we will see how useful it turns out in comparison. Just a side note I have always felt a little awkward talking to Siri or 'talk to text' in public on my phone but with the watch I don't feel awkward talking to it at all. So I actually prefer messaging on the watch because I am not tempted to type the text.
    There are two ways to look at the LTE feature of the watch:  As a convenience for making/taking the occasional phone call -- or as a safety measure to ALWAYS be contactable or able to contact someone (even 911) for help.

    people bought the original "Car Phone" for its safety features rather than its convenience features.  Apple has yet to market that aspect of it, but I see that driving its ultimate success.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    foggyhill said:
    arthurba said:
    Better battery life on cellular - then AW4 may be my first.  I've had every iPhone since the first -  I'm really disappointed with the latest trend to offer iPhones in "Enormous", "Gigantic" and "OMG it's huge!".   I currently use an SE - but I'm dissapointed that it's spec'd and targeted as a budget device. Smaller is better people.  Maybe the AW is just the smallest phone Apple make - I could pair it with their cheapest phone and after setup just leave the phone in the drawer.  But for this to work the AW needs better cellular battery life. 
    The SE was barely slower than the 6s when it came out in a smaller package, so not sure why you'd be disapointed.
    It's faster than most current Android flagship at half the price too.
    It will probably get an upgrade soon.
    Yes, the SE is a great product at a great price.  But some desire that form factor in a high-end performance model with, say,  an A11 processor, OLED unbezeled screen with FaceID.  But that, obviously, would double or triple its price.  
  • Reply 27 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    cornchip said:
    Getting a first gen from a friend tomorrow. Will be my first Apple Watch experience. Every time i ask someone how they like theirs they say they love it. Not heard one first hand negative review yet.
    Just four months shy from being 3 years since it hit the market and I still people it's unnecessary, yet indispensable. 
    THIS!!!
    This is THE best description of the Apple Watch yet!
    And, I think LTE will only make that even more true.
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 30
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    i haven’t found a use for the sharing feature yet, but i am loving the absolute speed of the Series 3. my 0 now lags on common operations so it’s like day & night. the only things that still lag for me are the Home app which gets stuck when rendering my list of scenes & devices, and sometimes HK siri commands. 
    I also upgraded from the original to the Series 3 only last week and I agree that it is quicker speed wise with none of the lag especially when double-pressing the button to bring up Apple Pay. On my original watch sometimes it took a while to register or I got fed up of waiting and I pressed it again or pressed the Digital Crown only to end up with a screen full of icons!

    The Series 3 just responds instantly...so far anyway.

    However the big thing for me is the battery life...staggering! I only took it off my wrist this morning to charge as it was showing 21% and I was off to Birmingham on the train.

    The thing hasn't been off my wrist in 3 days and I have worn it in bed the last 3 nights consecutively without charging and it still had 21% showing this morning! Amazing!!

    Not sure if this will last but in my experience most new devices start out with mediocre battery life initially because;

    1. I tend to use it a lot more (novelty factor)

    2. There are usually many things going on in the background such as indexing etc.

    I took it off the stand at 6:00am this morning and here we are 10 hours later and it is showing 91% and I must have had @50 alerts so far.

    Admittedly I haven't used it to stream music (and am unlikely to do so as I still use wired earbuds on my 6S) and have only made one short cellular call just to see if it works - see novelty factor above! :)

    The other big difference is the display. Seems much clearer, brighter and is laced with colour where my original watch was mainly just white on black.

    All in all very pleased and a worthwhile upgrade.

    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 30
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,094member
    MacPro said:
    I love knowing when my wife rushes out and forgets her iPhone she is still covered with her Apple Watch 3.  $10 a month is a pittance for knowing she has communications abilities not least of which in case of an emergency.
    THIS!
    All those complaining about $10 a month are looking at LTE on the watch as a minor trinket.
    For others it can be, quite literally, a lifesaver.

    As a grandpa, I am looking forward to getting one for my grandson who is just now getting old enough to become independent and starting to roam.  AW w/ LTE would enable parents to track him or contact him as needed -- and he could call for help anytime and anywhere.

    And, as a grandpa, I am looking forward to getting one for myself for that "I've fallen and I can't get up" moment.

    $10/month?   C H E A P at twice the cost.
    There are many use cases like this. I can see that Apple could market the standalone LTE AW as something of a lojack for kids. Maybe there are already some apps for this. I would think this a big seller (as you point out.) "Put this on your kid, and let him/her know if they take it off, you'll get notified. And tell him/her 'press here to get help.' " Lots of options here.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 30
    I hope an SE hardware update is coming soon! I want to replace my iPhone 6 but it still works perfectly and it's paid off. So I'm holding out till they bump the specs. 📱
    GeorgeBMac
Sign In or Register to comment.