Samsung will debut 'Galaxy S9' at Mobile World Congress next month

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:
    The Galaxy S8 is a GREAT flagship for the money -- especially when one can pick one up on sale which is often.  If the S9 moves the fingerprint reader and includes a bigger battery, then that's even better.  I especially appreciate that Samsung still includes a headphone jack on their flagship phones.

The only knock on the S8 is Bixby, however, I'm not a big user of voice assistants so I can overlook that....
    I know it will never happen, but if Samsung were to make their flagship phone with a removable battery, game over.  If you could have a legit top end smart phone and swap the batteries they would gather users from all of their product lines under that one phone.  That's the only way they can differentiate from Apple at this time, and it would be a huge differentiation.  You could still maintain water resistance, even.
    You mean how Androids did years ago before they switched to copying Apple?
    edited January 2018 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    still waiting for AI to publish this headline about Huawei and chinese security concerns:

AT&T Drops Huawei’s New Smartphone Amid Security Worries

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/business/att-huawei-mate-smartphone.html

...kinda seems like a big deal in mobile. 
    Avon already wrote about it in one of the comments and asked few valid questions. The security worries did NOT prevent Huawei from selling the same phone via online channels in USA. Question is - why?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    glynh said:
    What's the betting it will be called Galaxy SX or Galaxy SX Plus or something else to indicate it is on par with the iPhone X.

Of course when I say X I actually mean 10 so maybe Galaxy S10/S10 Plus maybe? /s
    Agreed. There is no way it will be called the S9- it would make it look like it is one step behind the X.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    airnerd said:
    I know it will never happen, but if Samsung were to make their flagship phone with a removable battery, game over.  If you could have a legit top end smart phone and swap the batteries they would gather users from all of their product lines under that one phone.  That's the only way they can differentiate from Apple at this time, and it would be a huge differentiation.  You could still maintain water resistance, even.

But it DID happen.  Samsung did have their earlier phones with removable batteries.  Samsung and guys like you preached on your soapbox about that "feature" for what seemed like ages.  Have you forgotten that?

This is the problem with Fandroids.  Short-term memory.  

Even with all the criticism Apple got for not having removable batteries, Samsung quietly moved to non-removable batteries as well and hoped that people would be too ignorant to not notice.  Samsung realized that most users (MOST) couldn't care less about carrying extra batteries.  They never did, so you are in a very small, vocal minority.  

No manufacturer is going to invest the time, energy, and resources on what is essentially a dead feature.  They cannot have the kind of structural integrity and water resistance with removable panels.  Not going to happen.  

This "removable battery" horse has been beaten to death.  Let it go.
    fastasleepStrangeDayscornchipRayz2016brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    I bet Samsung will copy Animoji in the Galaxy S9. 
    Even if they do, which I don't think they will, it won't be half as good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    still waiting for AI to publish this headline about Huawei and chinese security concerns:

Avon already wrote about it in one of the comments and asked few valid questions. The security worries did NOT prevent Huawei from selling the same phone via online channels in USA. Question is - why?
    If they were selling directly online to US customers vs selling via ATT the difference seems obvious. If they have connections to the Chinese spy apparatus what do they care if they sell via online channels? But if ATT sells them and a problem arises in the future, it’s ATT’s liability and reputation at stake. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member

If they were selling directly online to US customers vs selling via ATT the difference seems obvious. If they have connections to the Chinese spy apparatus what do they care if they sell via online channels? But if ATT sells them and a problem arises in the future, it’s ATT’s liability and reputation at stake. 
    That is clearly not the case.

AT&T references were popping up in Huawei firmware at the beginning of 2017. Then there were reports of extensive testing of the Kirin SoC with AT&T, followed by more and more rumours right up to Huawei when officials actually confirmed a deal days before CES.

Are you saying AT&T hadn't even considered the possibility of privacy/security in all that time?

AT&T and Huawei didn't get together for a Christmas lunch and  agree to partner and then sign an agreement on a napkin over a toast.

This was negotiated, planned and finalised and it would be ridiculous to even contemplate that discussions on the kind of problems you are pointing to didn't crop up in the earliest stage of negotiations, which were likely even before 2017.

You can bet your grandmother that AT&T had every eventuality covered and had ample protection hardwired into any agreement.

They would never have reached the situation that eventually played out if they could have held even remotely accountable for any problems.

Alternative theories? There are many, but your proposal isn't one of them.

In fact, it is absolutely impossible that spying, back doors or whatever were the cause. Simply because AT&T can't even use Huawei backbone equipment precisely because the government wouldn't allow it. And we know why even though no evidence was ever presented and Huawei has always defended itself. So implying they reached an agreement only to discover that something nasty had been discovered at the last minute is a case of barking up the wrong tree. Let me insist. That issue was probably one of the first things that got dealt with.

Ironically, and we can thank Snowden for this, if there is a risk of discovering something nasty on Huawei gear, it's probably more likely to be from the NSA. 

Oh yeah, technically, AT&T and Huawei never confirmed any deal so there is nothing to ponder. That's a little hard to swallow though.
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:
    The Galaxy S8 is a GREAT flagship for the money -- especially when one can pick one up on sale which is often.  If the S9 moves the fingerprint reader and includes a bigger battery, then that's even better.  I especially appreciate that Samsung still includes a headphone jack on their flagship phones.

The only knock on the S8 is Bixby, however, I'm not a big user of voice assistants so I can overlook that....
    This is borderline delusional. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

Well perhaps, but a new nano coating is coming to market this year and one of the things it can potentially remedy is water protection of phone internals, including the battery. If someone picks up that ball we'll have to see where they run. Samsung has used earlier versions of the product in the past.

https://www.p2i.com
  • Reply 30 of 35
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    foggyhill said:
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

The phone would be at least 30% bigger than an equivalent Apple phone (possibly more when you take into account shaped batteries in the Iphone X) and offer huge amount of constraints in placement of components (since the battery would need to be squarish and accessible and the door cannot have components on it).  if Apple keeps the battery swap at $30 (or even $50), there is little advantage to that. 

There is a reason Samsung switched to sealed, it is not just on a whim.

Apple will probably get the Iphone to be as water proof as the Apple Watch (50 meter) very soon (including speakers expelling water) and you'll not get that if you can open the battery compartment.

With wireless charging, Apple could just offer a battery sleeve (for women to put in their purse) and the battery would essentially always be charged to 100%. For everyone else, the presence everywhere of wireless mats now that the standard is now universal means people don't have to carry a useless big battery everywhere. Their phones could be charged essentially all day long at near 100% without having to carry a cable or break your insertion point by constantly plugging and unplugging.

Who needs 50m water proof for their phone?  Watch is one thing, but who takes their phone that deep?  Give me water resistance to 10' and anything more is so edge-case it's not worth even trying to make a selling point.  Make it safe to the deep end of a pool, nothing more.  I have cameras that are waterproof more than 50' and I can swap not only the battery but the card too.  It even has ports for plugging it in, still water proof.  So please don't pretend that they couldn't make a simple sealed door for a slide in battery.  I don't care if it is 30% thicker, the tradeoff is more than worth it.

Wireless charging is great, but as we have seen I hope you plan to have that "sleeve" with you at all times to recharge as the battery holds less and less charge over time.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 35
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    sflocal said:
    airnerd said:

But it DID happen.  Samsung did have their earlier phones with removable batteries.  Samsung and guys like you preached on your soapbox about that "feature" for what seemed like ages.  Have you forgotten that?

This is the problem with Fandroids.  Short-term memory.  

Even with all the criticism Apple got for not having removable batteries, Samsung quietly moved to non-removable batteries as well and hoped that people would be too ignorant to not notice.  Samsung realized that most users (MOST) couldn't care less about carrying extra batteries.  They never did, so you are in a very small, vocal minority.  

No manufacturer is going to invest the time, energy, and resources on what is essentially a dead feature.  They cannot have the kind of structural integrity and water resistance with removable panels.  Not going to happen.  

This "removable battery" horse has been beaten to death.  Let it go.
    lol, yeah I'm a fandroid. 

derp!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

I think removable batteries are actually more dangerous. Its more points of failure, and you have untrained people (customers) touching them. I hardly doubt this would make someone all of a sudden scrap all of their apps from the iOS App Store, make a major platform switch just to get a removable battery. This is just silly thinking beyond belief. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

Well perhaps, but a new nano coating is coming to market this year and one of the things it can potentially remedy is water protection of phone internals, including the battery. If someone picks up that ball we'll have to see where they run. Samsung has used earlier versions of the product in the past.

I’m not disputing that waterproof batteries can be done. 
    I’m disputing that enough people care about removable batteries to make a difference. 

• Reply 34 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

I’m not disputing that waterproof batteries can be done. 
    I’m disputing that enough people care about removable batteries to make a difference. 

That will depend on how things play out. Phones reached 'thin enough' years ago. Just as they reached 'big enough' not too long ago.

There are people who say some phones are already too thin. Adding some thickness back to bring capacities into reasonable up-times or removable batteries could be wins for some people.

Smart cities are also in their infancy. I'm relatively lucky to spend every day in one and there are lots of charging options. The problem is that some require adaptors and others just a cable and if you have to lug a cable and adaptor around its a little less inviting.

As of today, and with current usage patterns, I'd probably opt for a 4000MaH fast charging, quality battery with reverse charging and be happy. If something comes along (some killer app or feature) that starts consuming battery power like there's no tomorrow then perhaps a replaceable battery would be preferable.

The market and marketers will have their say but it would be interesting to see if someone offers a user replaceable battery this year and how it goes down.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    I bet Samsung will copy Animoji in the Galaxy S9. 
    "And we call this feature... 'Sammoji'!"