Honda teases 2019 Insight hybrid with optional Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda on Thursday previewed the 2019 Insight, which will optionally support Apple's CarPlay interface for connected iPhones.

With the appropriate package, CarPlay and Android Auto will be displayed on an 8-inch touchscreen, Honda said. The new Insight -- currently being shown off in prototype form -- is being positioned as a "premium" compact hybrid, a step above Honda's flagship Civic.

The car is expected to offer over 50 miles per gallon, and a variety of standard driver-assist technologies such as adaptive cruise control and traffic sign recognition. Honda will launch the vehicle later this year.

The company was initially slow to support CarPlay, which debuted in 2014, but now offers it on a range of models such as the Accord, Civic, CR-V, and Fit. For a while the Fit was a conspicuous gap, unsupported until last year despite the car's popularity.

Most major auto brands now offer CarPlay-ready models, some other examples being BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, and Volkswagen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The greed of carmakers really needs to come back and bite them. Think of the Cadillac commercial where a group of women are caught out in the rain as the announcer says ‘with Available CarPlay”, so I guess paying $60K for a dressed up Chevy SUV does not rate CarPlay.

My 2016 VW Golf TSI that is pretty much stock hs it because it was made standard- 2 years ago on all VWs. Cannot imagine anyone charging for it in 2018.

There is a current article in the NYT about how much of the Japanese car industry is clinging  to hydrogen powered cars and are only reluctantly moving on EVs because of competition and how they fear being run out of the business like happened with TVs. Honda needs to get with the program and stop nickel and diming customers
  • Reply 2 of 6

"Honda teases 2019 Insight hybrid with optional Apple CarPlay"

That's just mean.  Zero tolerance for bullying.

cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I always love AFTERMARKET Products. Funny how the car makers integrate their crap to the point it makes it almost impossible to install an aftermarket that would better serve our needs. 

I have a 2015 Nissan Altima, I still have the ability to install an aftermarket, thinking of getting a Kenwood with both Apple CarPlay and Android so I do have to plan on all my eggs in one basket. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I am after a head unit for my Mazda. I won’t get Kenwood though because it has decided to include wireless android auto on a stack of options but USB CarPlay in all of them. Nonsensical. So Kenwood can get stuffed.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member

"Honda teases 2019 Insight hybrid with optional Apple CarPlay"

That's just mean.  Zero tolerance for bullying.

No - they’re teasing Toyota, so it’s ok!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    For the last few years, Honda (and most other manufactures except for a few holdouts like Toyota) have been including or offering Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility in every new model. It's become so common that it's like a headline that reads, "All-new 2022 BMW 7-series includes power windows". Well, of course it does!