If iPhone X demand is less than expected, analyst expects it to be 'end of life' when repl...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    And if it is the "end" of the line for that product it just means that we will see another iPhone that uses what worked in the X but without what didn't.  Be that price, functionality, or even market timing.  

No one thinks the X is a failure, at worst a market proof-of-value.   
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    brucemc said:
    Misleading headline.  And a bit of confusing logic by MCK.  An Apple decision to not continue selling the existing iPhone X after new models are announced could have nothing to do with how it has sold over the year.  With such an expansive iPhone lineup as they currently have - and likely would continue to have if introducing 3 new models again - it would make perfect sense to NOT sell it.  

Taking a few of the rumours around, Apple might introduce a single new iPhone LCD model (larger screen), as well as two iPhone X nextgen (5.8" and a larger model).  Such an Apple lineup could have
    - Two NEW iPhone X-like models
    - 1 NEW iPhone LCD (like an iPhone 9)
    - iPhone 8/8+
    - iPhone 7/7+
    - iPhone SE

Not a lot of room in there to keep the existing iPhone X.  They could of course, but equally logical (or more) to not do so.

Most articles I have read indicate the iPhone X selling very well - especially for a $1000+ phone.  The recent Kantar sales share data shows a huge increase in iPhone (no model breakdowns available) share in China in November.  I wonder what might have driven that...
    Yes, that’s a possibility, assuming ol’ Well-Connected sticks with the prediction of the day. He might, of course, change his mind tomorrow and blame some unforeseen failure inside Apple. That’s what he usually does. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Instead of notch, IPhone LCD 6.1 just puts across top black strip for underneath cameras/sensors. Many people would be happy with it as it gives them perception of complete rectangle full screen, top-down, edge to-edge. Will there be iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with TouchID ?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    What many of you are forgetting is that the iPhone X is the first time they ever manufactured devices with OLED screens. 
    If production of this type of screen still has issues then it may be reasonable to put all efforts in the new flagship models while continuing to offer the iPhone classic (7,8...) with LCD technology. 
    retrogustowatto_cobrabaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 25 of 53
    tshapi said:
    gatorguy said:
    So Apple is going to terminate production of an iPhone after it replaces it with a new model? 

Holy cow, somebody tell CNBC.
    Daniel, aren't iPhone 7's still in production even tho the 8's and X are out now?

Anyway AFAIK the editor of the AI article was accurate when stating "If this is the case, it would be the first time that Apple has not retained the previous year's model..." Is there a previous instance you can think of? You know far more about Apple than I do. 
    Actually the article is wrong.  Apple aced the 5. When they revealed the 5s instead they introduced the 5c. My guess has always been, the 5s’s only distinguishing feature was the Touch ID so they axed the 5 to keep people from severely cannablizing its sales.  
    That is not exactly accurate. You could argue that today the iPhone 5S has more distinguishing features in relation to the iPhone 5 than the iPhone X has compared with the iPhone 8. And don’t even get me started on the 6-6S-7-8 series. You see, the simple fact that the 5S has the first 64-bit A-series processor allows it to run versions of iOS that the 5 never will, so the chasm in features (and compatible third-party app availability!) between them will only grow bigger until the former inevitably reaches vintage status.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobrabaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 26 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Is Mr. Kuo taking over as Apple CEO?
    cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 53
    CSpace6CSpace6 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Both the iPhone and iPhone 5 were not retained beyond their year run. It happens apparently every six-ish years, if true.
    retrogustokpom
  • Reply 28 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mavemufc said:
    red oak said:
    I wish AI would keep a running side by side of what he (and other key analysts) predict and what actually happens.   Kuo seems right only about 50% of the time 
    He still gets more right than wrong, and he’s better than most others.
    Which is not saying much. 

The X may be completely discontinued when the X1 is released but not because of demand. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    It does make some sence if you think of the X as a special edition model, a special edition collector's model comes, then goes away, the X even has a price tag that suites this. It would make little sence for Apple to keep the X branding indefinitely if it's for a limited edition model. This flattery will also serve nicely to mollify any backlash when the X's prestigious Face ID and OLED dIsplay are lavishly gifted to cheaper more mass reaching devices. What I suspect is that the 8s will subsume the X form factor with the 8s+ serving as the larger version. This might explaine why Apple got the production pipeline of F- ID and OLED right and ready to pump last year for this year's models so that there are no problems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    If December 2017 was too early to rate its success, January 2018 is too early to rate its failure. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 31 of 53
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I’ve been surprised by how many iPhone Xs I’ve already seen in public—a whole lot of notches. Another benefit of the notch is that it makes it easy to tell who is using an iPhone X. I really doubt that sales have been poor.

But it wouldn’t surprise me too much if they didn’t want to sell the current model at a discount next year. It has a number of premium features that they might want to reserve for their most expensive model, like dual OIS, and they might want to reserve as much supply as possible of constrained components (like perhaps the screens, as Thedba mentioned above) for the phones with the highest margins. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 32 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    I expect that the X will end it's reign this fall with a replacement.

Apple will likely be building the replacement with manufacturing processes that are more finely tuned, to gain a cost reduction, so the replacement model should come in at a lower price point, with the Plus version picking up the high end. Both of those would be OLED models, with a third, at the lowest price point of the three, replacing the OLED for an LED.

All the new models will be FaceID, that's a given, and all likely will have Qi charging.

The question would be which models drop off, and I'd venture that it will be the 6 and 6s, with the SE getting a performance refresh, maybe this spring.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    The more likely scenario for the X being retired is that they won't have the OLED production capacity to handle two new 2018 OLED phones (2018 standard and 2018 plus) in addition to continuing to produce the 2017 X.  
    tmaywatto_cobrafreshmaker
  • Reply 34 of 53
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    So Apple is going to terminate production of an iPhone after it replaces it with a new model? 

Well, if Apple doesn't usually do that, and instead keeps older models around, then maybe somebody SHOULD tell CNBC.
    asdasdcornchip
  • Reply 35 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    The more likely scenario for the X being retired is that they won't have the OLED production capacity to handle two new 2018 OLED phones (2018 standard and 2018 plus) in addition to continuing to produce the 2017 X.  
    Well stated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53

Exactly.  That's not what "end of life" means in tech circles.  For example, one definition is "An end-of-life (EOL) product is a product that does not receive continuing support, either because existing marketing, support and other processes are terminated, or it is at the end of its useful life."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    macxpress said:
    You simply cannot predict sales based on supply chain data. This has never worked and never will. There are far too many variables.
    And Timmy has mentioned it enough time and have always proved them wrong. But they keep coming back for more punishment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    tshapi said:
    gatorguy said:

Daniel, aren't iPhone 7's still in production even tho the 8's and X are out now?

Anyway AFAIK the editor of the AI article was accurate when stating "If this is the case, it would be the first time that Apple has not retained the previous year's model..." Is there a previous instance you can think of? You know far more about Apple than I do. 
    Actually the article is wrong.  Apple aced the 5. When they revealed the 5s instead they introduced the 5c. My guess has always been, the 5s’s only distinguishing feature was the Touch ID so they axed the 5 to keep people from severely cannablizing its sales.  
    And the C was a flop. I still contend had the C been priced like the SE was and Apple offered a few more colors like black it would have been a huge hit.
    Wrong. The C was the second-best selling phone in the US per the carrier store reports and published right here on AI. You're just spreading the false narrative around. 
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 39 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wow! I had better sell my iPhone X to Gazelle quickly!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Right on cue a couple weeks before earnings. Somebody needs the stock to drop.
    The only time we'll ever hear "Right on Cue" from you.
    Rayz2016StrangeDays