iOS 11.3 coming this spring with battery and performance settings, ARKit 1.5, new Animoji

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:
    "  ... including the ability to toggle the power management feature for iPhone models with aging batteries."  The toggle should say 'Sensible mode' and 'Idiot mode.'
    False. But kudos for the pretentious name calling. 

The insistence that the throttlling is only for old batteries is inaccurate. Unless you consider a one year old battery with no prior instances of performance issues to be fair game for a 50-66% CPU downclock. 
    Unless you performed 2-3 full cycles a day, a 1-year-old battery won’t be failing the impedance check (unless it’s defective). But previously you said your phone was fine on iOS 10 until you upgraded to 11, which is at odds with the peak power draw throttling being introduced in 10.2.1 almost a year ago. 
    I agree. The battery should be and likely still is fine. But yet I'm seeing (In benchmarks, device status apps) and feeling (lag, stutters, long loading, etc) significant slowdown in the clock.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I suspect Apple's implementation of the throttling is very aggressive and might be flagging devices based on a loose basis. If the throttling was intended to be a fix/patch for defective batteries in the iPhone 6 line of phones, it's possible that this implementation is done in a "better safe than sorry" fashion.  As in, "Your battery is probably fine, but since it's a year old and meets x or y condition, we'll apply the tweak just in case!". Makes sense from a liability standpoint I suppose, but the lack of disclosure backfired for the company in other ways. 

And yes, the tweak was first introduced in iOS 10.2.1, but has likely been expanded to other models in later releases. Remember, I have an iPhone SE, which was not the original target of the patch.... But has since been disclosed by Apple to be part of the throttling. 

Oh, and another thing.... I have a work iPhone SE that is only a few months old, running the same iOS and many of the same apps. Side by side, there's a palpable difference in performance. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 44
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Right, and if they want their 3-4 year old iPhone (that had a battery, in which EVERY DAY went from 100 to 0) to DIE in 60 minutes they can just flip that switch.  OR Buy a new battery for $29, let it run slower, or get a new iPhone...
  • Reply 23 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    atomic101 said:
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:
    "  ... including the ability to toggle the power management feature for iPhone models with aging batteries."  The toggle should say 'Sensible mode' and 'Idiot mode.'

The insistence that the throttlling is only for old batteries is inaccurate. Unless you consider a one year old battery with no prior instances of performance issues to be fair game for a 50-66% CPU downclock. 
    Unless you performed 2-3 full cycles a day, a 1-year-old battery won’t be failing the impedance check (unless it’s defective). But previously you said your phone was fine on iOS 10 until you upgraded to 11, which is at odds with the peak power draw throttling being introduced in 10.2.1 almost a year ago. 
    I agree. The battery should be and likely still is fine. But yet I'm seeing (In benchmarks, device status apps) and feeling (lag, stutters, long loading, etc) significant slowdown in the clock.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I suspect Apple's implementation of the throttling is very aggressive and might be flagging devices based on a loose basis. If the throttling was intended to be a fix/patch for defective batteries in the iPhone 6 line of phones, it's possible that this implementation is done in a "better safe than sorry" fashion.  As in, "Your battery is probably fine, but since it's a year old and meets x or y condition, we'll apply the tweak just in case!". Makes sense from a liability standpoint I suppose, but the lack of disclosure backfired for the company in other ways. 

And yes, the tweak was first introduced in iOS 10.2.1, but has likely been expanded to other models in later releases. Remember, I have an iPhone SE, which was not the original target of the patch.... But has since been disclosed by Apple to be part of the throttling. 

Oh, and another thing.... I have a work iPhone SE that is only a few months old, running the same iOS and many of the same apps. Side by side, there's a palpable difference in performance. 
    I recall you saying these same things about 3 weeks ago.

So what was the diagnosis from Apple when you took your phone in for a service check?
    edited January 2018 dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 44
    brucemc said:
    atomic101 said:
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

I recall you saying these same things about 3 weeks ago.

So what was the diagnosis from Apple when you took your phone in for a service check?
    Nothing yet. I am contemplating waiting for the ios update before having the battery replaced. Chicken or the egg scenario here as replacing the battery now will eliminate the option of evaluating Apple's software solution to the issue. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    mjtomlin said:
    dysamoria said:
    I'm glad the CPU throttling/battery thing is being handled. This is how it should've been done on day one of that "feature" (which was, of course, just a way for Apple to avoid replacing batteries under warranty). Seems the only way to get Apple to do what's best for their customers is to shame Apple into doing it via media circuses. Typical corporate arrogance.

Typical corporate arrogance!? How about typical ignorant user entitlement?

You obviously have no idea what the actual issue is. The batteries are not defective in any way and not subject to a warranty replacement. The devices that slowed down are older devices that have been heavily used by their owners. Overtime all batteries lose the capacity to hold a charge and it begins to dwindle - unable to provide adequate voltage to sustain demanding performance. When that happens it could cause the device to shutdown, and possibly even damage sensitive components. The advanced power management in the iPhone 6 and newer allows the CPU to be throttled to prevent it from demanding too much from a depleted battery. MOST people would never notice this. Just those that tax their devices. In fact, this issue was only original discovered during a benchmark test which does push the system as high as it can go.

Any and every device that runs off batteries will eventually need those batteries replaced. The more you use that device (and the more you recharge it), the quicker that battery dies. This is common knowledge. Apple has always balanced performance with efficiency in their devices. This whole "battery gate" issue was nothing more than that, and as you said became a media circus by the technology ignorant masses.

----------- Edit ---------

Also wanted to add, that Apple RARELY adds "a feature" that allows users to make low level adjustments to devices. Especially a toggle switch that could potentially damage and shorten the life of a device.
    Congratulations on swallowing Apple's PR claims. We know they'd never be dishonest about the reasoning for something they did in secret and had to get a PR bloody nose in order to address openly. Accepting Apple's techy-sounding justification of silently throttling our devices does not elevate you above the "technology ignorant masses".

It's amazing the loyalty Apple still receive, in spite of everything they've done over the last five years to soil their rightfully earned reputation. It was frustratingly slow to happen, but it finally got out to the masses that Apple made superior products due to care and attention to details... the iPhone kicked butt and people jumped on board, buying into Apple's computers too... only for Apple to get drunk on the success and abandon the very same qualities that made the company special. Now it's taking a long time to get out to the Apple fans that Apple have lost their way. Some are catching on, but there will always be the extreme cases of misplaced loyalty aggressively fighting against legitimate criticism in public discourse.

Often these extreme loyalty cases are the people who are self-styled as knowledgeable tech people, charged with all the tools of logical fallacy (like special pleading and appeal to authority) which has been protecting the entire computer industry since someone started the myth that software is special and exempt from the same accountability we expect in other industries... poisoning those other industries along the way as they computerize.

It's a known fact: There were defective batteries, and possibly defective phones. Apple even did a silent battery recall program, but only on a limited run of phones (not all of those that were affected). This throttling "feature" is to avoid more battery returns at Apple's expense because throttling is less overt to users than power loss.

Once someone revealed the issue, people started replacing batteries to get their phones to have the advertised CPU performance. Some Apple stores refused to let people pay to replace their batteries on relatively young phones, despite the throttling being done on phones the software detects as worn out, mostly to maintain the silence on being discovered throttling people's phones, probably to avoid uncomfortable questions about how many batteries needed to be replaced in order for the products to function as marketed.

It's not like the way this was done (secretly) encourages trust in their motives. Only AFTER the public outcry did Apple start being all "generous" with battery replacements.

They've been caught SILENTLY throttling people's [sometimes one-year-old or less] phones to avoid dealing head on with continuing problems with batteries, and yet the media still doesn't catch on to the real problems, and people STILL buy the Apple PR-response that this was all just a "customer convenience feature"... when, like psych drugs, it's really just to obscure a symptom of an underlying problem with batteries. And here we have customers in the forums helping redefine and defend Apple's actions because... what? They don't have this particular problem themselves?

Sigh. Why would I expect people to hold Apple accountable in an Apple fan forum...? Especially a forum with people who like to claim superiority to the MacRumors forum users, because "all they do is complain about Apple over there"...

It's annoying enough that the media latched on to this CPU throttling behavior as "proof that Apple slows down your phone to make you buy a new one". This throttling thing is new and in addition to the real problem: iOS bloat and Apple's insistance that everyone update to the newest poorly tested, poorly optimized, bloated version ASAP... all the way up until the a final version that leaves the device a slow and buggy clunker, which they cannot downgrade back to a better performing prior version once they've been pushed into the update (and then Apple stops supporting that device entirely).
    atomic101muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    atomic101 said:
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

False, the throttling is far from 55% let alone 66%!!! Mine was less than 12% before the battery replacement. 30% when on high usage activities.

And IT IS idiotic choosing constant random resets and app crashes over a small decrease in performance.

If it bothers you so much just change the old depleted battery for cheap with Apple.

Very worth it!
    Thanks for letting me know your experiences.  Please be aware that your experiences do not speak for everyone else. You are lucky that your unannounced throttling is/was less than what I and others have been saddled with.

My 1 year old SE downclocks anywhere from 1500MHz to 600MHz. This is a very perceptible slowdown, with many apps becoming a stuttery chore to use. Miraculously, at full battery charge, the CPU comes back to near or full speed and everything works like a charm again. 

Never experienced random shutdowns prior to the ios update. 

I suspect that while Apple may have had good intentions with the feature, the implementation is too aggressive or perhaps too much of a blanket solution.  Such that, even  healthy batteries are given the downclock treatment when a more elegant solution would have excepted them. 

Informing the consumer of this tweak and offering a choice would have been the right thing to do. I applaud the fact seekers who unearthed this issue and forced Apple's hand to come forward. 
    And when your phone crashes, forcing you to reinstall you and others that did it will likely whne about it... But hey, you had the choice so hopefully it will be a quiet whine.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

Yeah, I think the power management issue should already have existed so this is obviously NOT RELATED UNLESS the battery passed the treshold of use around the same time as the update (which seems unlikely for a 1 year old phone unless the usage is totally atypical with 2-3 full charge cycles a day).
    The SE is very close to my 6S and I didn't have any issues at all except the normal small slowdown in early major IOS versions.

A constant phone slowdown is not this power management issue, if the phone while just manipulating the UI has a very slow clock, there are some other issues involved (even a defective battery wouldn't give that  unless it is near dead (say 25%) which needs 5-6 years typically of usage to get there)..

edited January 2018
  • Reply 28 of 44
    dysamoria said:
    mjtomlin said:
    dysamoria said:
    I'm glad the CPU throttling/battery thing is being handled. This is how it should've been done on day one of that "feature" (which was, of course, just a way for Apple to avoid replacing batteries under warranty). Seems the only way to get Apple to do what's best for their customers is to shame Apple into doing it via media circuses. Typical corporate arrogance.

Typical corporate arrogance!? How about typical ignorant user entitlement?

You obviously have no idea what the actual issue is. The batteries are not defective in any way and not subject to a warranty replacement. The devices that slowed down are older devices that have been heavily used by their owners. Overtime all batteries lose the capacity to hold a charge and it begins to dwindle - unable to provide adequate voltage to sustain demanding performance. When that happens it could cause the device to shutdown, and possibly even damage sensitive components. The advanced power management in the iPhone 6 and newer allows the CPU to be throttled to prevent it from demanding too much from a depleted battery. MOST people would never notice this. Just those that tax their devices. In fact, this issue was only original discovered during a benchmark test which does push the system as high as it can go.

Any and every device that runs off batteries will eventually need those batteries replaced. The more you use that device (and the more you recharge it), the quicker that battery dies. This is common knowledge. Apple has always balanced performance with efficiency in their devices. This whole "battery gate" issue was nothing more than that, and as you said became a media circus by the technology ignorant masses.

----------- Edit ---------

Also wanted to add, that Apple RARELY adds "a feature" that allows users to make low level adjustments to devices. Especially a toggle switch that could potentially damage and shorten the life of a device.
    Congratulations on swallowing Apple's PR claims. We know they'd never be dishonest about the reasoning for something they did in secret and had to get a PR bloody nose in order to address openly. Accepting Apple's techy-sounding justification of silently throttling our devices does not elevate you above the "technology ignorant masses".

It's amazing the loyalty Apple still receive, in spite of everything they've done over the last five years to soil their rightfully earned reputation. It was frustratingly slow to happen, but it finally got out to the masses that Apple made superior products due to care and attention to details... the iPhone kicked butt and people jumped on board, buying into Apple's computers too... only for Apple to get drunk on the success and abandon the very same qualities that made the company special. Now it's taking a long time to get out to the Apple fans that Apple have lost their way. Some are catching on, but there will always be the extreme cases of misplaced loyalty aggressively fighting against legitimate criticism in public discourse.

Often these extreme loyalty cases are the people who are self-styled as knowledgeable tech people, charged with all the tools of logical fallacy (like special pleading and appeal to authority) which has been protecting the entire computer industry since someone started the myth that software is special and exempt from the same accountability we expect in other industries... poisoning those other industries along the way as they computerize.

It's a known fact: There were defective batteries, and possibly defective phones. Apple even did a silent battery recall program, but only on a limited run of phones (not all of those that were affected). This throttling "feature" is to avoid more battery returns at Apple's expense because throttling is less overt to users than power loss.

Once someone revealed the issue, people started replacing batteries to get their phones to have the advertised CPU performance. Some Apple stores refused to let people pay to replace their batteries on relatively young phones, despite the throttling being done on phones the software detects as worn out, mostly to maintain the silence on being discovered throttling people's phones, probably to avoid uncomfortable questions about how many batteries needed to be replaced in order for the products to function as marketed.

It's not like the way this was done (secretly) encourages trust in their motives. Only AFTER the public outcry did Apple start being all "generous" with battery replacements.

They've been caught SILENTLY throttling people's [sometimes one-year-old or less] phones to avoid dealing head on with continuing problems with batteries, and yet the media still doesn't catch on to the real problems, and people STILL buy the Apple PR-response that this was all just a "customer convenience feature"... when, like psych drugs, it's really just to obscure a symptom of an underlying problem with batteries. And here we have customers in the forums helping redefine and defend Apple's actions because... what? They don't have this particular problem themselves?

Sigh. Why would I expect people to hold Apple accountable in an Apple fan forum...? Especially a forum with people who like to claim superiority to the MacRumors forum users, because "all they do is complain about Apple over there"...

It's annoying enough that the media latched on to this CPU throttling behavior as "proof that Apple slows down your phone to make you buy a new one". This throttling thing is new and in addition to the real problem: iOS bloat and Apple's insistance that everyone update to the newest poorly tested, poorly optimized, bloated version ASAP... all the way up until the a final version that leaves the device a slow and buggy clunker, which they cannot downgrade back to a better performing prior version once they've been pushed into the update (and then Apple stops supporting that device entirely).
    All the narrative I hear is the turd you just laid there and I've owned enough devices (many many Iphones, Ipods, Apple Watch, Airpod), Macs of all vintages to know that is a very big turd too.

The only thing that rings true is that early major versions X.0 and X.1 are underoptimized for previous devices and always have some major bug (and that is why I never update right away).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 44
    foggyhill said:
    atomic101 said:
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

False, the throttling is far from 55% let alone 66%!!! Mine was less than 12% before the battery replacement. 30% when on high usage activities.

And IT IS idiotic choosing constant random resets and app crashes over a small decrease in performance.

If it bothers you so much just change the old depleted battery for cheap with Apple.

Very worth it!
    Thanks for letting me know your experiences.  Please be aware that your experiences do not speak for everyone else. You are lucky that your unannounced throttling is/was less than what I and others have been saddled with.

My 1 year old SE downclocks anywhere from 1500MHz to 600MHz. This is a very perceptible slowdown, with many apps becoming a stuttery chore to use. Miraculously, at full battery charge, the CPU comes back to near or full speed and everything works like a charm again. 

I suspect that while Apple may have had good intentions with the feature, the implementation is too aggressive or perhaps too much of a blanket solution.  Such that, even  healthy batteries are given the downclock treatment when a more elegant solution would have excepted them. 

Informing the consumer of this tweak and offering a choice would have been the right thing to do. I applaud the fact seekers who unearthed this issue and forced Apple's hand to come forward. 
    And when your phone crashes, forcing you to reinstall you and others that did it will likely whne about it... But hey, you had the choice so hopefully it will be a quiet whine.
    Sigh.... Yes. I'm sure that this silent throttling was done in the best interest of customers, and nothing more.  Even though Apple told me that my battery was fine when I tried to replace it mid December.  I guess I'm the fool for not buying into the PR. 🙄
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 44
    the update will add Advanced Mobile Location support, automatically sending a user's current location when making a call to emergency services. This functionality will work in countries where AML is available.

That's good to hear. I just read an article on Gizmodo from 2016, on AML in Australia being activated and it spoke about the networks using cell towers to triangulate the area. Using the cell phone to provide a location makes much more sense, I presume it's an option for the networks or upgrade to AML.

For many years phones have automatically used other networks for emergency calls, if you are out of range. That's why phones say "emergency calls only".  Does anyone know if it handles location in this situation?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    atomic101 said:
    Have you tried any of the battery utilities, and if so, what did they show? I've got a nearly 18 month old SE and the utilities show 98% heath, and I've noticed no slow-down. How could a battery be in such bad shape within a year?

dysamoria said:

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this... but it would seem to correlate well with the above. A battery shouldn't be having issues within a year, even two, to begin with. (Unless it were extremely abused with temperature or something.)
  • Reply 32 of 44
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    macxpress said:
    dysamoria said:
    What about bug fixes and performance improvements?

Do people actually care about animoji?

What iOS update didn't include some type of bug fixes along side new features?

If Apple were getting feedback about users not really caring about animojis, would they be focusing on it? We've been through this already with regular emojis. Just because you couldn't care less doesn't mean others don't too. If I remember correctly, emojis and I assume now animojis are huge in China. 

No word about Messages in the Cloud? I start to feel... impatient. 
    Then be impatient. Its not going to make happen any faster. I doubt something like this is easy to implement. 
    Thank you for pointing that out to that person. People are so damn impatient these days. And big on complaining. I’m looking forward to this update. 
  • Reply 33 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    atomic101 said:
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

Like I mentioned in my last post, I suspect Apple's implementation of the throttling is very aggressive and might be flagging devices based on a loose basis. If the throttling was intended to be a fix/patch for defective batteries in the iPhone 6 line of phones, it's possible that this implementation is done in a "better safe than sorry" fashion.  As in, "Your battery is probably fine, but since it's a year old and meets x or y condition, we'll apply the tweak just in case!". Makes sense from a liability standpoint I suppose, but the lack of disclosure backfired for the company in other ways. . 
    But it wasn’t. That’s just a made up story, evidence by the fact that later models are included. Apple never said anything of the sort, only the tinfoil hatters have said that. 

There goes your theory. 
  • Reply 34 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

atomic101 said:
    foggyhill said:
    atomic101 said:
    atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

Very worth it!

Sigh.... Yes. I'm sure that this silent throttling was done in the best interest of customers, and nothing more.  Even though Apple told me that my battery was fine when I tried to replace it mid December.  I guess I'm the fool for not buying into the PR. 🙄
    No, just for buying into paranoid nonsense conspiracy theories. 
  • Reply 35 of 44
    cgWerks said:
    atomic101 said:
    Have you tried any of the battery utilities, and if so, what did they show? I've got a nearly 18 month old SE and the utilities show 98% heath, and I've noticed no slow-down. How could a battery be in such bad shape within a year?

dysamoria said:

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this... but it would seem to correlate well with the above. A battery shouldn't be having issues within a year, even two, to begin with. (Unless it were extremely abused with temperature or something.)
    I've downloaded the "Battery Health" app which shows anywhere from 14-20% battery wear.. Irrespective of what level of charge it's at. 

Agreed that the battery shouldn't be an issue at this point.  There hasn't been any noticeable decrease in battery life nor random crashes or shutdowns.  I've owned three previous iPhones that, over the lifespan of use, have never experienced as dramatic a decrease in performance as my current SE. 
  • Reply 36 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    https://overcast.fm/+BaxZJzVc/18:01

atomic101 said:
    I've downloaded the "Battery Health" app which shows anywhere from 14-20% battery wear.. Irrespective of what level of charge it's at. 

Agreed that the battery shouldn't be an issue at this point.  There hasn't been any noticeable decrease in battery life nor random crashes or shutdowns.  I've owned three previous iPhones that, over the lifespan of use, have never experienced as dramatic a decrease in performance as my current SE. 
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks. I guess I got one of the good ones. I've still got it on my calendar to get a replacement in Nov/Dec before the program expires (no matter the state of the battery).
  • Reply 37 of 44
    atomic101 said:

atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

Very worth it!
    With replacing the battery, now that Apple will "let" me officially replace the battery, it is certainly in my agenda of things to do. I previously tried to have it replaced and was told that my battery was within tolerances of Apple's diagnostics and that they would not change it, but this was before Apple announced the battery program. Mind you, I went there with the full intent to pay the original $79 for the service - I wasn't asking for a free/warranty replacement. 

I am tempted to wait until this new iOS update is released to test the battery analysis options prior to changing it out.  Part of it is just curiousity and the techie in me, but then I can at least validate how much of an "idiot" I am. 😉
    It is SUPER worth it changing the battery! 

Now my iPhone lasts me a full day and it had been ages that it didn't manage to do that.

• Reply 38 of 44
    atomic101 said:

atomic101 said:
    MacPro said:

Very worth it!
    With replacing the battery, now that Apple will "let" me officially replace the battery, it is certainly in my agenda of things to do. I previously tried to have it replaced and was told that my battery was within tolerances of Apple's diagnostics and that they would not change it, but this was before Apple announced the battery program. Mind you, I went there with the full intent to pay the original $79 for the service - I wasn't asking for a free/warranty replacement. 

I am tempted to wait until this new iOS update is released to test the battery analysis options prior to changing it out.  Part of it is just curiousity and the techie in me, but then I can at least validate how much of an "idiot" I am. 😉
    It is SUPER worth it changing the battery! 

Now my iPhone lasts me a full day and it had been ages that it didn't manage to do that.

Thanks! I'm definitely on board with replacing the battery sooner rather than later. I don't really have battery life issues yet, but with the lower price, it seems like a reasonable maintenance/tune up upgrade. 
  • Reply 39 of 44
    macxpress said:

No word about Messages in the Cloud? I start to feel... impatient. 
    Then be impatient. Its not going to make happen any faster. I doubt something like this is easy to implement. 
    I know a thing or two about software development. My point is : Apple, a soon to be 1’000 billion $ worth company said it would provide us with the feature months ago. 

I am just a poor mortal paying premium for their products and... let’s say : I am (maybe a bit too much) eager to get this feature. :smile: 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    https://overcast.fm/+BaxZJzVc/18:01
    This isn't where I was getting my info so I wish I could get this to play. Is there something wrong with that website at the moment? (iOS 10.x, iPhone 6s)