Apple said to be cutting iPhone X production in half due to slow sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    I’ll wait for the quarterly numbers, thanks. 
    Apple doesn't typically break-out individual model sales numbers, tho I think there have been exceptions when it serves the purpose.  We'll probably still be left with at best semi-educated guesses.
    You can compute average selling price to get an idea though.
    Yes, which is the semi-educated guess I referred to. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 73
    No one has a clue. 

End of story. 
    And yet everyone treats them as fact. 🙄
    If I weren't already overweighted in AAPL, I'd buy more.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    kitatit said:

my fiancé just bought an Apple Watch and the plain silicone band is $79 Australia..... I work in 
    engineering and know how much injection molded  parts like this cost. Like $0.30 tops in materials plus packaging, tooling, marketing ect. $2 at most, that’s around 4000% profit margin.
    I used to have similar complaints about a tool or gadget or gizmo until I realized that it would cost me more than $79 to make one of the same quality myself - if it were even possible.

Is it ridiculous to pay $9.95 for a plastic soda can dispenser that cost only pennies to make? Well, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than I could go buy a 3-D printer for and make one myself.

StrangeDaysstarwars
  • Reply 44 of 73
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    So Apple is going to sell about 50 million iPhones combined, which is typical of Q2 in recent years. There is nothing to suggest that this is LOWER than usual numbers. The so-called Analysts imagined it to be 40 million iPhone X out of 50 million overall, which was never the expectation. Yet another FUD, aimed at reducing the Apple's share price, just before the FACTs come out in couple of days.
    I am not reading it the same. It is suggesting out of the Apple projected 80M unit this quarter, 40M is iPhone X. And next quarter will be slashed to 20M. While the other iPhone volume aren't changing. Which means there are 40M iPhone 8/8 Plus / 7 / 7Plus this quarter and next quarter.

And those are very decent numbers.  An Unit increase in YoY, and likely higher ASP as well.

You can argue it sort of disappoint as some expect the iPhone X to be constantly sold out through the first 2Q. Which didn't happen.

And it is worth point out in a tweet ( I cant find it now ) by Aysmco's Horace Dediu, the higher ASP now might means Apple are preparing to have higher off set in the middle / bottom of the market.  

• Reply 45 of 73
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    jbdragon said:
    macapfel said:
    The price is steep. I was quite keen on replacing my 6. But the price put me off, and I thought I wait for the iPhone X 2, with all the usual refinements, and then might buy one without looking at my account balance for a while – and get a new battery for my 6 while waiting.
    The other thing that pissed me off with the iPhone X is the starting with 64 GIG's. So that's really forcing me to spend the extra money to get the 256 gig version. My iPhone 6 is 128 Gig's. Get a new phone, downgrade my storage? It's yet another Apple scam. People are only going to put up with these ridiculous prices for so long.
    How is upping the base level a scam? Not long along iPhones started at 16gm and the X has four times that. You've got more in your 6 -- but that's not a base configuration, so not sure how you can expect to get the same in the base X. 

Just what we said would happen tho -- after raising the base from 16gb it didn't take long for people to whine about the new base.
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 46 of 73
    ksec said:
    So Apple is going to sell about 50 million iPhones combined, which is typical of Q2 in recent years. There is nothing to suggest that this is LOWER than usual numbers. The so-called Analysts imagined it to be 40 million iPhone X out of 50 million overall, which was never the expectation. Yet another FUD, aimed at reducing the Apple's share price, just before the FACTs come out in couple of days.
    I am not reading it the same. It is suggesting out of the Apple projected 80M unit this quarter, 40M is iPhone X. And next quarter will be slashed to 20M. While the other iPhone volume aren't changing. Which means there are 40M iPhone 8/8 Plus / 7 / 7Plus this quarter and next quarter.

And those are very decent numbers.  An Unit increase in YoY, and likely higher ASP as well.

You can argue it sort of disappoint as some expect the iPhone X to be constantly sold out through the first 2Q. Which didn't happen.

And it is worth point out in a tweet ( I cant find it now ) by Aysmco's Horace Dediu, the higher ASP now might means Apple are preparing to have higher off set in the middle / bottom of the market.  

I don't necessarily agree with your interpretation. In this article, it is mentioned "The company is allegedly keeping a combined production target of 30 million for all other current iPhone models, such as the 7 and 8". So 30 million for Non-X models for Q2. For X, it is 20 million for Q2. Combined, it is 50 million, which is what I mentioned.

The way I read the rumor is - Apple was "originally" planning to sell 40 million iPhone X units in Q2 in their "imagination" (because Apple never mentioned these numbers in reality) but cut it to 20 million iPhone X units in Q2, due to lack of demand (again, in their wild imagination). The so-called Analysts also don't mention what was the "original" plan of Apple for all other models combined for Q2. Their "new projection" is 30 million. Assuming the "old projection" is also 30 million, they were IMAGINING Apple to sell 70 million iPhones in Q2, but cut it to JUST 50 million in their IMAGINATION now. You have to ask them why they imagined only 70 million instead of 70 billion - It is imagination only right, what is the big deal about few extra zeros. Hence Apple is doomed because they are going to sell 20 million less devices (that too of the high cost iPhone X variety) than their original plan in the imaginations of analysts. And there are many people "buying" this "analysis" and selling their shares in real world!!!!

Note: I am strictly talking about Q2 (i.e. Jan-Mar quarter). There are also numbers thrown around previous (Oct-Dec) quarter, which I have not touched upon even for comparison purposes.

ronn
  • Reply 47 of 73
    I thought it might be appropriate to mention this:

One way businesses manage inventory against uncertain demand is to require their suppliers accept adjustable POs (within mutually agreed-upon parameters). So Apple could have placed a PO for UP TO 40 million phones and simply revised it as agreed. This aligns inventory with demand very quickly. 
    Note that these types of agreements do not actually cancel the products ordered on early POs. Inventoried parts and manufacturing time are simply moved to later in the year. It's not rocket science...

-Mike
    wlym
  • Reply 48 of 73
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    I’d be all over that iPhone X if my 7+ wasn’t still in perfect condition. 
    I was thinking the same way but the combination of similar screen size with a smaller body, combined with the flexibility of the Apple upgrade program encouraged me into upgrading. 

Am loving my X!
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Let’s be honest, the iPhone X is not that great. I mean, it has a fantastic camera and it’s super speedy, but “FaceID” is an overpriced solution in search of a problem.
    After having used my iPhoneX for a couple of months, the conclusion is that it fails more often to recognize my face compared to touchID’s success rate. It doesn’t recognize my face in landscape mode. I need to take the phone from my car mount and stick my face in front of it when it gets locked (or type in my code after it failed to recognize my face again).

The phone interaction is a step back. A tiny spot to invoke control center is harder to do, closing apps is a weird combination of gestures, and so forth. All these changes to support a 3D face recognition camera nobody asked for. Yes, the edge to edge display is nice but after all these years, couldn’t Apple have waited for a touch ID solution under the screen? 

Truth is, after the initial hype, reality kicked in and everyone realized it’s not that exciting. The phone is still cool and all - I’m not unhappy - but it’s definitely not that special either.
    AI_liashenrybaymuthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Sounds like fake news.

not totally fake. they likely did reduce shipments. the fake part is ignoring that they do this every year because the hot season for iPhones is launch to holidays. sales always drop after the first of the year. that its the X is not the issue
  • Reply 51 of 73
    People just don't want to pay $1000 for a cell phone. Especially when a lot of people replace it every year or every other year. 

I think Apple over anticipated the number of people who would drop $1000+ on a phone. 
  • Reply 52 of 73
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I thought it a bit slow in sales based on what I saw people using in my everyday existence, but I recently spent time in Singapore and it seemed like everyone had one. 

The one one thing that did catch my attention was how quickly supply caught with demand. It seemed that three week waits because 3 days waits within a matter of days. 
  • Reply 53 of 73
    zroger73 said:
    kitatit said:

my fiancé just bought an Apple Watch and the plain silicone band is $79 Australia..... I work in 
    engineering and know how much injection molded  parts like this cost. Like $0.30 tops in materials plus packaging, tooling, marketing ect. $2 at most, that’s around 4000% profit margin.
    I used to have similar complaints about a tool or gadget or gizmo until I realized that it would cost me more than $79 to make one of the same quality myself - if it were even possible.

Is it ridiculous to pay $9.95 for a plastic soda can dispenser that cost only pennies to make? Well, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than I could go buy a 3-D printer for and make one myself.

• Reply 55 of 73
    Stock manipulation.  Same thing happened last year - just a month earlier. (X went on sale in nov this year).
  • Reply 56 of 73
    This BS report from Nikkei just shaved billions off of Apple's stock today. Jesus. Apple should sue the hell out of someone.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    After the novelty wore off, I switched my iPhone X for the iPhone 8 after 10 days, and could not be happier. Touch ID on the iPhone 8 is faster and easier to use than Face ID - and enables me to open my phone before it leaves my pocket. I was also worried about the impact of beaming infrared laser dots into my eyes 30 times a day (10,000 times a year). I prefer the rectangular screen of the 8 to the one on the X with its curved corners and weird inset. Best of all, I can orientate my phone simply by feeling the touch ID button - even in the dark or in a pocket. I can also see exactly how much battery percentage I have left, and closing apps is a snap compared to the X.

The iPhone 8 is brilliant - it's fast, simple and familiar to use. By comparison, the iPhone X feels gimmicky. Its so-called innovations make it harder to use.

It would not surprise me if sales of the X are not meeting expectations. It does not take the iPhone forward, but sideways, and in some respects, backwards.

CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Hi zroger73,

your reasoning is sound but that’s not what I’m talking about. You’re talking about opportunity cost. For sure, like you, I’d just buy it for the item in your example. 

Here’s another example of opportunity cost. 
    Pay to have the timing belt changed on my car for $850 or do it myself for $150 and half a day of my time. As I don’t get paid $1400 a day, the opportunity cost is worth it to me to do it myself.

Back to my point, Apple is just charging what the market will bear, who can blame them? But for people to automatically assume the news is false aren’t acknowledging that many people including me are tapping out and skipping several generations of phone as the value at these prices isn’t there for me and many others. 

Dont get me wrong, I’m not a hater but there has to be some resistance to these prices. Otherwise we’ll see $1500USD phones. 
  • Reply 59 of 73
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I don't think iPhone X is expensive. The price is really all the technologies it carries. I paid more than $1,000 for 256 GB SSD when it came out.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 60 of 73
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    epicurus said:
    If they bumped the storage in the units to 256 and 512 gig, and lowered the price by a $100 i think the X phone would be far more appealing 
    Why stop there? Why not 512 and 1024 and drop it another $100?  /s

The job of the X was to test the market by introducing new things at a smaller scale that would have been impossible to implement for the entire line. Mission accomplished. 
    Since when has Apple introduced a new iPhone model to ‘test the market at a smaller scale?’ That sounds more like an apologist’s excuse. It is possible that they pushed it out on the tails of the iPhone 8 to avoid being scooped by Samsung with faceID, 

The people I know who have an iPhone X are generally happy with it, and I haven’t heard of significant or widespread complaints about FaceID, so I don’t think that’s a major issue. No one knows for sure what sales are, but if they are falling short of expectations, I suspect what’s happening is exactly what several people have already commented on - the slowing pace of technological and iOS improvements means a large number of people are quite satisfied with their older iPhone 6s, 6 or even 5s models, so the number of people willing to fork out several hundred to a thousand dollars for a new phone is reduced. For most people, $1,000 - $1,150 is a steep price to pay for a phone that offers little advantage over an iPhone 8/8 Plus priced $2-300 less, and there’s the fact that the iPhone 8 is still new and there was questionable iPhone X availability for Christmas. Looking at this, it’s completely believable that sales have been slower than hoped for.

Add me to the ranks of people that have no way to justify shelling out $800 when I have a perfectly working 6s in my pocket. I have my kids’ college tuition to pay.

edited January 2018