Apple said to be cutting iPhone X production in half due to slow sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    jarredkm said:
    As a huge Apple fan, I was incredibly excited about the X. It was hard for me to justify the increase in monthly payments though, so I wasn’t planning on upgrading any time soon. My face lit up when my husband “bought” me one for Christmas by forgoing his upgrade and taking my year old 7 in exchange. That’s true love right there. As much as I was excited for it, and do love almost every aspect of it, I will say that FaceID is incredibly frustrating. It does not work as advertised for a lot of people. Especially for those like me who have narrow eyes. My husband works for a major wireless carrier and said that he takes more calls from people wanting to return the X than any other device. A common complaint he hears is that FaceID doesn’t work. It usually takes me 2-3 tries to make my phone unlock, which makes me warn friends thinking about upgrading. My work phone still has TouchID, and comparing unlocking the two phones throughout the day makes me wish I still had TouchID. I can’t help but to think that the word of mouth from all of these disgruntled users could possibly have a measurable impact on sales. I know I’ve talked a couple of friends out of upgrading, and I highly doubt I’m the only one.
    We were recently on vacation, and talked with several people with the iPhone X, and every single one of them said it is the best iPhone ever, and would highly recommend an upgrade. Different strokes, I guess.
    magman1979
  • Reply 22 of 73
    The Nikkei post has no sources.  None!

Meanwhile AMS, in Australia, which is the supplier of the face recognition chips reported today that orders continue to rise spectacularly, including going forward.  Did Apple forget to tell them?

Why doesn’t Apple Inside contain any report on that?
    RonnnieO
  • Reply 24 of 73
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    Well the stock is down about 1.5% this morning so mission accomplished for someone.
    Bingo! Same as last week how one day Apple has disappointed and less than 48 hours later it's oh, we were wrong. As sh*tty as this is, it is a good buying opportunity.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I’ll wait for the quarterly numbers, thanks. 
  • Reply 26 of 73
    I’d be all over that iPhone X if my 7+ wasn’t still in perfect condition. 
  • Reply 27 of 73
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    No one has a clue. 

End of story. 
    And yet everyone treats them as fact. 🙄
    Well because its a headline...it gets talked about. Apple's failing!
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    brindze said:
    We know.

We're confirming some details, because AMS didn't name Apple specifically as the cause of their expansion during the earnings report.
    edited January 2018 gatorguyronnRonnnieO
  • Reply 29 of 73
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Who knows if the reports are true. But what I do know is that as an avid Apple fan, the is the first year since the introduction of the original iPhone where I didn't "wish" I had a new iPhone (from my current iPhone 7) when they were released. It's a combination of my iPhone 7 just being so good, the iPhone 8 providing little additional improvements, and the higher price points of the iPhone 8 and iPhone X seemingly providing poor value. I expect I'll hold onto my iPhone 7 through next year...don't anticipate anything in the pipeline at a reasonable price point (<$750 w/ 128GB or more) that will change my mind (unless Apple surprises).
    edited January 2018 MplsP
  • Reply 30 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    brindze said:
    The Nikkei post has no sources.  None!

Meanwhile AMS, in Australia, which is the supplier of the face recognition chips reported today that orders continue to rise spectacularly, including going forward.  Did Apple forget to tell them?

Why doesn’t Apple Inside contain any report on that?
    Apple likely drove most of the 4th quarter improvement for them IMHO tho they are also a Samsung supplier and a new Galaxy flagship is shipping in a month or so. I'd guess AMS probably has a number of new customers now with the high-profile iPhone X all over the news the past few months. Apple isn't the only revenue driver for them and a whole lotta companies are now wanting to include face unlock in their new product. 

edited January 2018
  • Reply 31 of 73
    No one has a clue. 

End of story. 
    But those with weak investment conviction are ready to sell at the first hint of something. It doesn’t matter that the “reports” come from firms/analysts not subject to SEC oversight (Ming Chi Kuo, Nikkei) or from analysts with long track records of being wrong. 

Has as it occurred to anyone that the most severe of these rumors have been published during Apple’s SEC required quiet period?  Apple can’t refute these rumors until earnings, so the idiots can say what they want with impunity. 
    ronnpalomineanantksundaram
  • Reply 32 of 73
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    For me Apple will not sell less phones than normal in Q2, but It might be be that the split between iPhone X and iPhone 8 might be different then the assumptions made be Apple.  And the price could be an issue.  But I think  price/feature ratio is much more the issue.

Apple has realized a remarkable technical break through with the face recognition, but I still fail to see that the user experience improved a lot  compared to the fingerprint scan.   Secure authentication is important, but it is only a supporting function of a phone, not a main feature.

Animoji look nice, but in countries where the iPhone has a small marketshare (<20%), it is nothing but a gimmick, that cannot be seen by the large majority of the receivers of your iMessage.

ronn
  • Reply 33 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple doesn't typically break-out individual model sales numbers, tho I think there have been exceptions when it serves the purpose.  We'll probably still be left with at best semi-educated guesses.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 34 of 73
    No one has a clue. 

End of story. 
    I remember when the story was that Apple wouldn’t be able to make enough of them to meet demand, and everyone was hand-wringing over that.
    anantksundaramLukeCage
  • Reply 35 of 73
    goofy1958 said:
    jarredkm said:
    As a huge Apple fan, I was incredibly excited about the X. It was hard for me to justify the increase in monthly payments though, so I wasn’t planning on upgrading any time soon. My face lit up when my husband “bought” me one for Christmas by forgoing his upgrade and taking my year old 7 in exchange. That’s true love right there. As much as I was excited for it, and do love almost every aspect of it, I will say that FaceID is incredibly frustrating. It does not work as advertised for a lot of people. Especially for those like me who have narrow eyes. My husband works for a major wireless carrier and said that he takes more calls from people wanting to return the X than any other device. A common complaint he hears is that FaceID doesn’t work. It usually takes me 2-3 tries to make my phone unlock, which makes me warn friends thinking about upgrading. My work phone still has TouchID, and comparing unlocking the two phones throughout the day makes me wish I still had TouchID. I can’t help but to think that the word of mouth from all of these disgruntled users could possibly have a measurable impact on sales. I know I’ve talked a couple of friends out of upgrading, and I highly doubt I’m the only one.
    We were recently on vacation, and talked with several people with the iPhone X, and every single one of them said it is the best iPhone ever, and would highly recommend an upgrade. Different strokes, I guess.
    Several friends and family members of mine who purchased an iPhone X are elated with them as well. Some of them came iPhones before the 6, so most anything would be a significant upgrade to them. Some others wouldn't admit that they wasted $1,000 even if that's how they really felt. Some have no clue what "OLED" means - it's just the "latest and greatest" to them. I don't like how large my 6S Plus is to handle, but my aging eyes appreciate the screen over the iPhone X.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Personally I find the X to be unbelievably intuitive. After just a few days of use I have to really think to try to use my wife 6 or my iPad pro. Getting rid of the home button and face recognition are simply brilliant.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    jarredkm said:
    I had the X as soon as it was released. It is, by far, the best product ever. Face ID is flawless so i suspect you are ding something wrong.  What’s happening here is the quality and innovation of the product vs. the investment xommunity which is simply looking to make a quick buck.  I’ll bet on the company any day, over the price of the stock.  And i own shares for many years
    fastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    larrya said:
    epicurus said:
    If they bumped the storage in the units to 256 and 512 gig, and lowered the price by a $100 i think the X phone would be far more appealing 
    Why stop there? Why not 512 and 1024 and drop it another $100?  /s

The job of the X was to test the market by introducing new things at a smaller scale that would have been impossible to implement for the entire line. Mission accomplished. 
    Where are you getting this?  20 Million units is not a small scale market test. 
    For what time frame? For a quarter, yes 20MM is small for iPhone.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

Reader Gruber's thoughts on scale and how the sheer scale of iPhone prevents an experimental roll-out across the board. Thus the X, 8 and 8 Plus:

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing

The X is not scaled out to the entire market of of would-be new-phone buyers. The 8 and 8 Plus have the majority as it becomes cheaper to manufacture Face ID and OLED displays. 
    Why does this still need to be explained?

Look at the price of it, people! It was never intended to be a mass market device!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 39 of 73
    macapfel said:
    The price is steep. I was quite keen on replacing my 6. But the price put me off, and I thought I wait for the iPhone X 2, with all the usual refinements, and then might buy one without looking at my account balance for a while – and get a new battery for my 6 while waiting.
    I’m in exactly the same boat. IPhone 6, just changed the battery. I was really keen on the iPhone X but the price really is too much for me to swallow. 

I get it, they have expensive components but come on!

Hey, they are a public company and owe it to share holders to extract as much money as they can from consumers but their profit margins are getting pretty hard to accept.

my fiancé just bought an Apple Watch and the plain silicone band is $79 Australia..... I work in 
    engineering and know how much injection molded  parts like this cost. Like $0.30 tops in materials plus packaging, tooling, marketing ect. $2 at most, that’s around 4000% profit margin. 

$25-30 would have been OK  but I would have bitch slapped myself if I paid $79. Instead, eBay has plenty for only a few dollars.

No doubt, there is always a market for extortion arely priced products, I’m sure there are people who would pay $4000 but the pool of people where money is no object is surely getting smaller.

AI_lias
  • Reply 40 of 73
    gatorguy said:
    Apple doesn't typically break-out individual model sales numbers, tho I think there have been exceptions when it serves the purpose.  We'll probably still be left with at best semi-educated guesses.
    You can compute average selling price to get an idea though.
    anantksundaramronntmay