NYT reporter uses megaphone to decry 'slow death' of 5-year-old iPad mini running iOS 9, a...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cgWerks said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    But Apple's goal has never been to sell "the best".  It has always been to sell "Great products that change people's lives" -- that leaves a lot of leeway...

(BTW, Corvette is a bad example.   The original cost $3,500 -- which was only $500 more than my Dad's Buick (which I still have the receipt for!).)
    Fair enough, but that, IMO, is problematic as well. The Mac changed people's lives, the iPhone/iPad have as well. But, Karpool karaoke, emojicons, even HomePods? Maybe we have a different definition of what changing people's lives entails, then.

My comment wasn't about the cost of a Corvette, but quantity. GM hasn't ditched the Corvette because the pie-slice on the chart is insanely small (much smaller than the Mac on Apple's pie-chart, I'd imagine). With Apple's thinking, wouldn't it make sense to just cancel the Corvette and put the resources into their trucks? Maybe even only update car models every 4 or 5 years, as they aren't the most important product either?
    I don't think Apple has that thinking...  The sell a $329 iPad as well as a $13,000 iMac Pro.  Which actually sounds a bit like your Chevy analogy.

The Karpool kakaoke:  That's an extension of the music that Apple entered into in order to make the iPod a Great Product.  Since then, music has always been one of their major products.
    Emojicons: Although not at the top of my list, are a unique feature that will enhance the experience of the masses who use emojis in messages...
    HomePods:  I suspect that that was just necessary if Apple wasn't going to get pushed out of the home automation industry...  Sort of a place holder with more to come.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    I don't think Apple has that thinking...  The sell a $329 iPad as well as a $13,000 iMac Pro.  Which actually sounds a bit like your Chevy analogy.

The Karpool kakaoke:  That's an extension of the music that Apple entered into in order to make the iPod a Great Product.  Since then, music has always been one of their major products.
    Emojicons: Although not at the top of my list, are a unique feature that will enhance the experience of the masses who use emojis in messages...
    HomePods:  I suspect that that was just necessary if Apple wasn't going to get pushed out of the home automation industry...  Sort of a place holder with more to come.
    Yes, so long as they are taking the Mac seriously. I'm guessing the Corvette gets as much, if not more attention than the Colbalt, even though they sell way less. The Corvette is a brand and technology driver. I'd agree that the iMac Pro is a bit like that..... **IF** it is an indication of a revival of the Mac... the first of great things to come... vs a hold-over until they can phase the Mac out.

I also have nothing in particular against emojicons and HomePods (I might buy one of the latter), but I don't like to see resources going to flowing into those things when the Mac is so neglected. To me, it's a another sign that the priority is consumer frivolities (as services are now a big pie slice).

I think my biggest fear (besides my own needs) is that it would super-sad to see Apple go from a world-changer, to just another mass consumer-products company. The world really doesn't need anymore of those.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    bsenka said:
    jbdragon said:
    bsenka said:
    My first-gen iPad mini still works great, and runs as fast as it did when new. The secret is to never update the OS. As long as it's running on the operating system it shipped with, it will continue to run as fast as it was when new.
    Except it's getting none of the many security updates, bug fixes, and newer features.

Small price to pay to have a device that actually works as designed, instead of being crippled by "updates".  I have newer iOS devices running the newest OS, there's nothing that my iPad is missing that is worth caring about.
    So how is losing security a "small price to pay?"
    Apple keeps its reputation as building the most secure systems by being willing and able to keep them up to date with security updates.
    I'm not even remotely concerned about it. It's a small price to pay because my iPad works better without them. I've never had any security issues whatsoever on any Apple device, but I have had many of them slow down after updates. I'm not doing those updates anymore, and my user experience is better for it.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    SarahJ18SarahJ18 Posts: 1member
    I think people give up too easily on their old Apple stuff.

I turned my old iPhone into a security cam with Manything, and my old iPad Mini and iPad 2 are now photo frames at my mother and father's houses with Framee. Even if input is a pain on that gen of devices, output is actually fine (provides the screen's not cracked, etc).