NYT reporter uses megaphone to decry 'slow death' of 5-year-old iPad mini running iOS 9, a...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Where's his comparison to the Samsung Tab 7? ;)

I still use my Mini (first Retina model) near-daily. The lag between Safari pages is annoying, but it works perfectly otherwise. I know there is no business case to update it, but if Apple can update the SE every few years, maybe they can update the Mini similarly.
    edited February 2018 racerhomie3GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 22 of 64
    This will be less of an issue over time. The problem is, it’s a 32bit CPU. 
    2013 brought the A7 family to the iPhone 5s and the original iPad Air. The A7 contained the first 64bit ARM CPUs to ship in consumer devices. They will run the current software (with some limits) made with current developer tools. 

Goodbye, old mini. 
  • Reply 23 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cincytee said:
    randyl said:
    I wiped my older iPad and now I can't even download the last version of the apps that worked with 9.x.
    The App Store does allow you to install the last version that works on the installed operating system. I mentioned this in the article.
    I, too, have come across apps that insist they must have iOS 10 to install. In addition, I've encountered news apps whose developers brick their old versions to encourage updating. That's fine ... for those who can update. I've worked in the content management systems, and nothing has changed on the back end; they just want to force users to update. Instead, they make my device less useful, cost me content and them users. When enough places do that, they force devices into obsolescence that has no technical (hardware or system software) foundation.
    blah blah blah, pay for it and then we'll talk, or do you actually want to go beyond "meme" level analysis.
    magman1979netmage
  • Reply 24 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Read this the other day (I subscribe to the Times) and wondered why it had not landed on the Apple sites.

Apple needs to show some love to the iPad mini. If Apple and the carriers would allow iPads to function as phones I would gladly keep my Apple LTE watch and drop the iPhone. An up to date iPad Mini with LTE would be a great WiFi phone base via the watch or Bluetooth headphones as it is not too big to bring around.

it would be interesting to see a breakdown of communication between traditional phones (including cell phones), app based communication like FaceTime and Skype, text messaging, apps like Apple’s messages and Facebook messenger, and email. The whole concept of a phone is probably on borrowed time. 
    They don't need to show you anything.
    Most need of the Ipad mini were served by going to much bigger phones (and it is likely why it was launched at that time).

racerhomie3
  • Reply 25 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I still have an original iPad Mini and it works well for music streaming to an original Bose SoundLink, email, Photos, and e-book reading. I love its light weight and ease of travel and it's still more comfortable to read on than any plus sized phone. It's kind of slow but tolerable. The biggest complaint I have is that the version of Safari on it does not have any content blockers and using a browser without any blocking these days is like shoving your hand in a whirling blender.

With old PCs I've been able to extend their useful lifetime by installing lightweight 32-bit versions of Linux like MATE or Manjaro LXDE. Even there the 32-bit versions of Linux are quickly drying up or moving to community support. There's no easy way to get anything lighter weight on an iPad than the last OS version that Apple casts in concrete for older devices. Unfortunately, the need for security updates and configuration management limitations (imposed through code signing) seems to always result in all iOS devices eventually getting frozen on the very last OS version that they could barely handle from a performance standpoint. From a performance standpoint the old iOS products would probably be faster running versions of iOS that are about as old as the iOS device itself, but this would be impractical for Apple to support and would sacrifice security and functionality.  But if someone else was to step in and fill this gap like Linux does for PCs, who knows? Mobile devices just don't have the shelf life of larger computing platforms so it may be a waste of time and resources, even for volunteers.

Kudos to Mike for pointing out the TCO data for the iPad Mini. That's a fact that cannot be ignored. 
  • Reply 26 of 64
    a new iPad Mini only has an A8 processor, though :(
    netmage
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Eric_WVGG said:
    a new iPad Mini only has an A8 processor, though :(
    Still faster than most Androids tablets.
    magman1979dewme
  • Reply 28 of 64
    I'm still rocking an Iphone 5 and an Ipad 2 and I don't care what anyone thinks. They still do what I need 'em to do. ( and they still do a lot A ton more than most average Android users for sure.) I have  CarPlay in my old 2001 CRV (I installed a pioneer AppRadio4 myself) I have a second gen Apple TV, and the last Gen AppleTV .  A  PC and HP laptop, one running Maverick, the other Sierra and dual booting Win10. I still haven't found a good reason to upgrade my phone or ipad for what I need them to do.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 29 of 64
    AppleZulu said:
    People have unrealistic expectations about technology. Everyone demands the advances in speed and performance, but somehow resent that a purchased item gets left behind as the newer versions bring on those advances in speed and performance. Computers, cars and other tech gear are consumable items.
    People do have an unrealistic attitude, but it is that they should be handed something revolutionary every 18 months. My 50-year-old waffle iron (it was my mother's) works just fine, as does our 20-year-old television (with a digital adapter, of course). For a company that's often dubbed the BMW of technology, Apple ought to notice how long BMWs last and work a bit harder to keep their products, which otherwise last far longer than their competitors, relevant longer.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Haters gonna Hate! PLUS it creates clicks/views on his Opinion, …..which in the end, Is The Most Important Reason Of All, For Writing The Opinion
    Why can't I give you 100 "Like" clicks?

Bloggers don't have to hate to write something negative about the most respected/loved technology firm in the world, although it helps when trying to generate clicks.
    magman1979
  • Reply 31 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    foggyhill said:
    Read this the other day (I subscribe to the Times) and wondered why it had not landed on the Apple sites.

Apple needs to show some love to the iPad mini. If Apple and the carriers would allow iPads to function as phones I would gladly keep my Apple LTE watch and drop the iPhone. An up to date iPad Mini with LTE would be a great WiFi phone base via the watch or Bluetooth headphones as it is not too big to bring around.

it would be interesting to see a breakdown of communication between traditional phones (including cell phones), app based communication like FaceTime and Skype, text messaging, apps like Apple’s messages and Facebook messenger, and email. The whole concept of a phone is probably on borrowed time. 
    They don't need to show you anything.
    Most need of the Ipad mini were served by going to much bigger phones (and it is likely why it was launched at that time).

Yeh, bigger phones met the needs of many.   But in no way all....  We still need the Mini...

Actually, I have an iPhone 6+ and a Mini...   While I'm home I prefer the Mini...
    Or, many will not want a + sized phone, so the Mini may be the perfect size for them.
    netmagedewme
  • Reply 32 of 64
    cincytee said:
    AppleZulu said:
    People have unrealistic expectations about technology. Everyone demands the advances in speed and performance, but somehow resent that a purchased item gets left behind as the newer versions bring on those advances in speed and performance. Computers, cars and other tech gear are consumable items.
    People do have an unrealistic attitude, but it is that they should be handed something revolutionary every 18 months. My 50-year-old waffle iron (it was my mother's) works just fine, as does our 20-year-old television (with a digital adapter, of course). For a company that's often dubbed the BMW of technology, Apple ought to notice how long BMWs last and work a bit harder to keep their products, which otherwise last far longer than their competitors, relevant longer.
    Yeah except they already do that — iOS devices have the longest useful lifespans and the highest resale values in mobile. So you got your wish! Happy dance. 
    edited February 2018 netmage
  • Reply 33 of 64
    I’m more than half afraid that I’m jinxing myself by posting this, but we have a 1st Gen iPad that we still use every day. Yes, that’s what I said. Every day.

Of course it hasn’t seen an update in I don’t know how long, but it still works for email, surfing the web, and a few apps that still work (Netflix still works!). It is a noticeably slow performer these days, but I just can’t see replacing it if it’s still working!
    bsenkamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    randyl said:
    I think the NYT article is fair.  I have no issue with older hardware becoming laggy.  The issue for me is that many app developers certify their apps to work with the most recent or two major iOS versions (e.g. 10.x and 11.x).  I have purchased new iPads and generally use my older ones to browse the web or for basic functions (control Sonos in the kitchen, control insteon lights in the basement, etc...).  I wiped my older iPad and now I can't even download the last version of the apps that worked with 9.x.  I understand that app developers are adding new functionality to each release, and that in some cases cloud components might not be compatible with older versions of apps, but Apple could at least let me download the latest compatible version of an app so I have the opportunity to use it if it still works for basic functionality.

The App Store does allow you to install the last version that works on the installed operating system. I mentioned this in the article.

Regarding the NYT article -- it is his opinion. Mine differs. We are using our platforms to say so.
    Not in my experience. I have an old iPad 2 that I'd love to use but the app store will only let me download the newest version of the app, which is not compatible with iOS 9 (?)

Like another commenter, the other problem is the fact that web pages are requiring more and more processing power - many of which have no clear need to do so.

I think a bigger issue is the fact that we are still on the uphill curve of tablet and tablet processor development. Just like with the iPhone, there were large incremental improvements in the first several generations of iPads and iOS. We are also expecting the devices to do more now than we did 5 years ago. The result is a more rapid obsolescence. The same was true in the PC industry - remember in the 90's and 2000's when every version of windows required a new computer to run it? (maybe that's still the case? I haven't owned a PC in 12 years.)

• Reply 35 of 64
    When asked by friends, family, or colleagues "should I buy the latest iPhone/iPad or last year's?", based on my experience I generally advise to buy the current one if you expect no less than 3 years of 'delightful' experience from it, last year's if you expect no less than 2 years, and not to buy anything older unless it's practically a steal or there's a singular use that the old hardware can likely still meet.

In other words I approach the question from how long the 'delightful experience' from the software can last, not how long the physical hardware can last.

Now sometimes a person can only afford what they can afford, so price is still a consideration.  That said, I show them a comparison between... cost of newest device divided by 36mo...vs. cost of last year's device divided by 24mo to drive the point home on the value.

I think all companies including Apple would gain a lot credibility by including an estimated longevity for their products, both from the hardware and 'delightful, software-based experience' perspective.
    bsenka
  • Reply 36 of 64
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    My first-gen iPad mini still works great, and runs as fast as it did when new. The secret is to never update the OS. As long as it's running on the operating system it shipped with, it will continue to run as fast as it was when new.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 64
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    randyl said:
    I think the NYT article is fair.  I have no issue with older hardware becoming laggy.  The issue for me is that many app developers certify their apps to work with the most recent or two major iOS versions (e.g. 10.x and 11.x).  I have purchased new iPads and generally use my older ones to browse the web or for basic functions (control Sonos in the kitchen, control insteon lights in the basement, etc...).  I wiped my older iPad and now I can't even download the last version of the apps that worked with 9.x.  I understand that app developers are adding new functionality to each release, and that in some cases cloud components might not be compatible with older versions of apps, but Apple could at least let me download the latest compatible version of an app so I have the opportunity to use it if it still works for basic functionality.

The problem is that the 32-bit apps are going away to be a 64 bit only store.  The app you HAD is not there no more.  Backup to your computer and then restore from the computer, NOT from the cloud as the 32-bit programs will be gone.

The other thing, if that was an Android Tablet, it may have never seen any new OS update, let alone last 5 years.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 64
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    bsenka said:
    My first-gen iPad mini still works great, and runs as fast as it did when new. The secret is to never update the OS. As long as it's running on the operating system it shipped with, it will continue to run as fast as it was when new.
    Except it's getting none of the many security updates, bug fixes, and newer features.

GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 39 of 64
    The iPad 2 was a wonder back in the day, and that trick magnetic cover was a game changer. Me despite having purchased the original iPad the year before had to get the iPad 2, which was the first “modern” iPad (future models were patterned after its design).

I recently got a chance to use the iPad 2 with iOS 9 and while it was pokey and laggy, it was still useable and had a terrific all day battery life, still! Many apps still ran fine, and plenty of (long lived) apps in the current App Store still supported it. It occurred to me that the question of usefulness of older hardware isn’t a simple binary answer, as the OCD power users in the forums will dramatically assert. Rather, it fades gracefully over the years.
    bsenkanetmage
  • Reply 40 of 64
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    jbdragon said:
    bsenka said:
    Except it's getting none of the many security updates, bug fixes, and newer features.

Small price to pay to have a device that actually works as designed, instead of being crippled by "updates".  I have newer iOS devices running the newest OS, there's nothing that my iPad is missing that is worth caring about.
    muthuk_vanalingam