iPhone and Apple Watch Emergency SOS feature save woman, child after collision

Posted:
in Apple Watch
After a horrifying collision with a drunk driver at a stoplight, a woman saved her life by calling for help with her Apple Watch with its SOS feature.

Kacie Anderson was stopped at a red light in late 2017 when her car was hit from the rear by a drunk driver. The car was launched by the force of the crash, and the occupants were buffeted until the vehicle came to a stop.

"The moment he hit us everything inside the car went airborne. My face took a horrible blow to the steering wheel, headrest, back to the steering wheel, and then to the window. I blacked out for about a minute and could not see. My eyes were wide open but all I saw was black," Anderson told Shape on Friday. "My hands flew around to feel for my phone and then I realized I had my watch on and commanded it to call 911."

The child in the car had only minor bruising and scrapes, presumably protected by the car seat. After extraction by paramedics, Anderson was discovered to have a severe concussion, brain swelling, and bulging disks from the accident -- with repercussions from the accident still being dealt with.

Apple's watchOS 3 brought with it the Emergency SOS feature. Anderson probably invoked it by holding the side button for six seconds, which then attempts to call emergency services either through the wireless connection on a Series 3 Apple Watch with LTE, or through a linked iPhone.
brian green

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Great Apple Watch success story.  Although I'm sure other nearby drivers would have also called 911 given the severity of the accident and injuries of occupants.
    airnerdbrian greenwatto_cobrasaltyzip
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Excellent use of apple watch and Siri. Surprised she hit the steering wheel though - surely an airbag would have went off in such a new car (Nissan Rogue/Qashqai) and the seatbelt would have tightened instantly (was she wearing one?). Airbags are not only for frontal impacts, I remember my old 2003 Renault Laguna deploying various airbags including the steering wheel when I was hit from the side.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    adm1 said:
    Excellent use of apple watch and Siri. Surprised she hit the steering wheel though - surely an airbag would have went off in such a new car (Nissan Rogue/Qashqai) and the seatbelt would have tightened instantly (was she wearing one?). Airbags are not only for frontal impacts, I remember my old 2003 Renault Laguna deploying various airbags including the steering wheel when I was hit from the side.
    We’re missing something...  she probably wasn’t wearing her seatbelt.
    zroger73airnerd
  • Reply 4 of 28
    "Watch, I command thee!"
    kuduStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    adm1 said:
    Airbags don't always deploy. It depends on the sensors that are tripped and other factors. I was hit in a severe side impact in a 2008 Jeep with front and side impact airbags. None of them deployed. Upon independent investigation that I required, the sensors were not tripped and it was deemed that it worked properly as designed.  In my case  the force of the impact pushed me against the door, resulting in significant bruising and neck injury. My son broke his finger and my daughter had back injury. All of us were wearing seat belts and we weren't moving at the time when the driver hit us by running a red light at full traffic speed. 
    pascal007ronnlarryjwbrian greenStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Great Apple Watch success story.  Although I'm sure other nearby drivers would have also called 911 given the severity of the accident and injuries of occupants.
    If there were any nearby drivers. Depending upon time of day or night, how much traffic there was and how far the car was sent after impact, might not have been anybody around to call for help. Certainly can't count on the drunk.
    arthurbabonobobwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    adm1 said:
    Why would you say that?
    arthurbaStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 28
    adm1 said:
    I too am glad she is safe and this is a good story.  But she suffered all that damage but took a photo w/her watch without any facial wounds in the hospital, which I assume is shortly after the accident (based on hospital garb and ID bracelet)?  I would think that many hits to the head that caused severe concussion and blackouts to do more damage.  I had a head injury with just a slight concussion that grew a lump the size of a baseball on my forehead.  

Not saying the accident wasn't severe, but thinking it might be a bit embellished.  
    zroger73tylersdad
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It's amazing he number of people on these forums who dismissed the need for adding a cellular radio to the Apple Watch.

However, in this case the reality is, unless her phone was destroyed in the accident, or buried under something blocking it's microphones, she could have likely just as easily "commanded" the phone to call 911 and it would have been just as effective, even if she couldn't actually locate it. That said, it wouldn't be that unreasonable for the phone to have been thrown from the vehicle, or thrown to the flow and buried under a backpack or something.

So yeah, for all those who said there was no need for a cellular radio in an Apple Watch, welcome to the real world.
    arthurbaSoliwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 28
    airnerd said:
    adm1 said:
    I too am glad she is safe and this is a good story.  But she suffered all that damage but took a photo w/her watch without any facial wounds in the hospital, which I assume is shortly after the accident (based on hospital garb and ID bracelet)?  I would think that many hits to the head that caused severe concussion and blackouts to do more damage.  I had a head injury with just a slight concussion that grew a lump the size of a baseball on my forehead.  

Not saying the accident wasn't severe, but thinking it might be a bit embellished.  
    Fortunately for her, you were not her doctor.
    tjwolfronnarthurbaStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 28
    mike1 said:
    adm1 said:
    Why would you say that?
    If she was wearing her seatbelt, the airbags should have been more effective in preventing serious injuries.

It sounds like the steering wheel airbag didn’t deploy or failed to deploy effectively.  Since the vehicle is relatively new, that suggests the later...

Airbags are designed to work in conjunction with the seatbelt.  They’re not nearly as effective without it...

The article should have mentioned seatbelt use, the fact that it didn’t suggests it was written with a motivation.  I.e.  hey look at this smart lady who owns an Apple Watch.  Rather than, hey look at this idiot who didn’t wear her seatbelt, suffered a bunch of unnecessary injuries, but at least the watch came in handy.
    airnerd
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    mike1 said:
    adm1 said:
    Why would you say that?
    If she was wearing her seatbelt, the airbags should have been more effective in preventing serious injuries.

It sounds like the steering wheel airbag didn’t deploy or failed to deploy effectively.  Since the vehicle is relatively new, that suggests the later...

Airbags are designed to work in conjunction with the seatbelt.  They’re not nearly as effective without it...

The article should have mentioned seatbelt use, the fact that it didn’t suggests it was written with a motivation.  I.e.  hey look at this smart lady who owns an Apple Watch.  Rather than, hey look at this idiot who didn’t wear her seatbelt, suffered a bunch of unnecessary injuries, but at least the watch came in handy.
    We have no data regarding seatbelt use or airbag deployment one way or another, despite trying to find out. 

So, we didn't talk about it. The facts at hand are: she got rear-ended by a drunk driver, and used her Apple Watch to call for help.
    edited February 2018 king editor the grateairnerdStrangeDayswatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 28
    mike1 said:
    adm1 said:
    Why would you say that?

Not sure if you realize this, but front airbags won't deploy if you are rear ended. Front air bags are designed for head on collisions. There aren't airbag sensors in the rear of the vehicle. 
    ronnzroger73Anilu_777
  • Reply 14 of 28
    adm1 said:
    Airbags are not commonly deployed in a rear end collision.
    As someone who suffered through a Nissan Rogue as a loaner last year, I hope show bought something better.
    zroger73
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I've worked in EMS for many years and from the photo it looks like a minor impact. Story seems a bit embellished. I'm glad she's okay, but lucky for her it wasn't a serious accident.
    zroger73airnerdtylersdad
  • Reply 16 of 28
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    mike1 said:
    adm1 said:
    Why would you say that?

A lot of assumptions by someone who wasn't there.  FWIW, I was hit from behind at a traffic light once.  My air bags didn't deploy either.  Police officer said he didn't expect it to be in a rear collision.  But this was some time ago (15 years).  Are you saying that, by law, they're now supposed to?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ronnronn Posts: 652member
    How are people concluding this was a minor accident?!

"After extraction by paramedics, Anderson was discovered to have a severe concussion, brain swelling, and bulging disks from the accident -- with repercussions from the accident still being dealt with."

This was a serious accident that Anderson is still dealing with months after. The other car looks even worse than hers:

king editor the grateStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    This seems like an awfully big stretch. 

My wife and I were hit 22 years ago. We were stopped at a stop light and were rear-ended by a woman doing 30 MPH who didn't even both to brake. We were hit so hard that there was in impression of her license plate in our bumper. We were both wearing seat belts. Neither of us even suffered a bruise. 

The damage to her car isn't even remotely as bad as our damage. And our car had far fewer safety features that modern cars (like hers) now have. 

I don't doubt the importance of having a way of contacting help in case of emergency. I just doubt if, in this instance, her life was truly saved by having an Apple Watch.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    It's amazing he number of people on these forums who dismissed the need for adding a cellular radio to the Apple Watch.

However, in this case the reality is, unless her phone was destroyed in the accident, or buried under something blocking it's microphones, she could have likely just as easily "commanded" the phone to call 911 and it would have been just as effective, even if she couldn't actually locate it. That said, it wouldn't be that unreasonable for the phone to have been thrown from the vehicle, or thrown to the flow and buried under a backpack or something.

So yeah, for all those who said there was no need for a cellular radio in an Apple Watch, welcome to the real world.
    One benefit of a non-cellular Apple Watch is that if you can't get to your iPhone, whether it's in your pocket or went flying off onto the floor somewhere, you can still use your Watch on your first for the SOS feature or say "Hey Siri call 9-1-1." I've had my iPhone fly onto the floor into places that were hard to get to and locate just because some one cut me off (no accident). Even then it's nice to have the Watch to ping the iPhone.

adm1 said:
    She was hit from behind so her body wouldn't been pressed back into the seat first. Would the airbag then go off when she went forward? I've heard "experts" say yes and no to that question since this story first came to light over the weekend.

Even if it did prevent her from hitting the steering wheel on the rebound forward, the airbag is a one-time use device that deploys in milliseconds and is deflated immediately by design so it doesn't work like a bouncy castle, as I've read. If the car that hit here lunged forward again she could've still hit the steering wheel.

adm1 said:
    I don't know if she was wearing a seatbelt or not, but wearing one doesn't mean you won't hit the steering wheel. There are simply too many factors involved to make that assumption.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    It sounds like she actually was wearing a seat belt from this line in the article:

My face took a horrible blow to the steering wheel, headrest, back to the steering wheel, and then to the window
    If she hadn't been wearing a seatbelt then her head would have kept trying to go through the steering wheel thus propelling her through the windscreen.

As bad as her injuries sound she is a good reason why you MUST ALWAYS wear your seatbelt. You'll still get smashed around but you'll still end up better off than if you didn't wear it.

Now if we can only get those idiot motorcyclists who refuse to wear the proper protective motorcycle gear to understand how much better off they are with it on then we'd start to see some real progress on the roads. I had a low speed (30km/h) crash and walked away from it with just a broken wrist. Having seen the impact to my full face helmet I concluded if I had been wearing an open faced helmet my face would have been exactly that - open.
    watto_cobra