Fast Company ranks Apple as world's 'Most Innovative' for 2018

Posted:
in General Discussion
Business magazine Fast Company on Tuesday selected Apple as its "Most Innovative" company of 2018, spanning 350 enterprises and 36 categories.

The magazine noted that "for a company slagged for not having had a hit since the iPad in 2010," the company did pretty well in 2017, reaping high sales of AirPods and the Apple Watch Series 3, and praise for offerings like ARKit and the iPhone X.

Although people tend to judge companies on their latest products, "creativity is more than skin deep," Fast Company continued.

"Apple's approach to the hardware and software engineering that creates its experiences has never been more ambitious," it said. "Other makers of phones and tablets buy the same off-the-shelf chips as their competitors. Apple, by contrast, designs its own chips -- so an iPhone packs a processor designed specifically optimized for Apple's operating system, apps, display, camera, and touch sensor."

The magazine also cited things like CareKit, Apple Music, and "major inroads" in artificial intelligence, the last including examples like optimizing battery performance and favoring on-device processing instead of the cloud.

AI has actually been one of the sharpest criticisms of the HomePod, Apple's first smartspeaker, since Siri doesn't offer as many functions -- or as much flexibility -- as voice assistants from Amazon and Google.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    And yet you have traditional trolls saying that Apple has innovated in years and then all the new-age trolls saying that Apples doesn't care about "real" pros anymore.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Link is here for those curious souls. Didn't see the proper one within the AI article. 
    https://www.fastcompany.com/most-innovative-companies/2018
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    And yet you have traditional trolls saying that Apple has innovated in years and then all the new-age trolls saying that Apples doesn't care about "real" pros anymore.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What's important is what their customers say.

I guess the problem is that you have to look under the surface to see where the real innovation is going on. Most folk can't do that.
    edited February 2018 lkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Apples efforts on the lower level stuff, while not so headline grabbing as an OLED screen or new form factor, is putting them leaps and bounds ahead of their competitors. SSD custom controller (I forget the exact name), APFS, A-series chips, various continuity features. My new iMac unlocks with my watch, calls and messages come up on screen ... no configuration, no third party software to install or keep updated ... it all just works. In particular the ability for new devices to just be configured automatically with my wireless network and icloud account is extremely posh feeling. I think a few years down the road other tech companies are going to all the sudden realize they are so far behind the curve there will be no real way to level the playing field no matter how many dollars they are willing to burn trying. All this is to say it is nice to see Apple getting it's dues for once, instead of the ever spouted narrative of analysts and the tech media, in general, that Apple isn't innovating and therefore doomed!!!
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 49
    But I thought they were doomed.... maybe next quarter 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 49
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I guess the problem is that you have to look under the surface to see where the real innovation is going on. Most folk can't do that.
    I suppose younger folks are interested in the latest and greatest new iPhone, but for many older people, innovation on or even under the surface just doesn't matter anymore. I find myself in that group. I still use an iPhone 6 and it does everything I need, although I may have to get a new one soon because the screen is starting to become detached on one side. Worldwide there is probably still a lot of upside potential, but in the US I think the demand is starting to level off. For many people like myself there is just no good reason to upgrade. Any innovation they make now simply does not create a motivation to replace a perfectly good iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I guess Wall Street doesn't give the shit about Nikki's report based on the AAPL price today:
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/OLED-panel-glut-looms-as-Apple-slashes-iPhone-X-production

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 49
    If they were the most innovative last year, that’s not saying a whole lot about the industry.
    78Banditmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 49
    While I don't really see any innovation at Apple (not award-winning anyways), I can't say that anyone else is either. The bar must be set very low if Apple is the best they can come up with.
    78Bandit
  • Reply 10 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    CobraGuy said:
    If they were the most innovative last year, that’s not saying a whole lot about the industry.
    deminsd said:
    While I don't really see any innovation at Apple (not award-winning anyways), I can't say that anyone else is either. The bar must be set very low if Apple is the best they can come up with.
    2017 was an amazing year for Apple and innovation. You two not seeing it or understanding it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Even after a plethora of examples you still say "I can't say that anyone else is either," which means you're simply not paying attention.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Apples efforts on the lower level stuff, while not so headline grabbing as an OLED screen or new form factor, is putting them leaps and bounds ahead of their competitors. SSD custom controller (I forget the exact name), APFS, A-series chips, various continuity features. My new iMac unlocks with my watch, calls and messages come up on screen ... no configuration, no third party software to install or keep updated ... it all just works. In particular the ability for new devices to just be configured automatically with my wireless network and icloud account is extremely posh feeling. I think a few years down the road other tech companies are going to all the sudden realize they are so far behind the curve there will be no real way to level the playing field no matter how many dollars they are willing to burn trying. All this is to say it is nice to see Apple getting it's dues for once, instead of the ever spouted narrative of analysts and the tech media, in general, that Apple isn't innovating and therefore doomed!!!
    Well said. The Apple Watch is a perfect example of Apple's 'lower level stuff' (as you call it) showing just how far ahead of its competitors Apple truly is. Apple basically completely owns the 'smartwatch' market, and now, increasingly, the entire wearables market. Apple's lead is only going to be more and more apparent over time. A very clever strategy not to overplay their core strengths, letting their competitors grasp at straws/gimmicks while Apple just keeps adding onto its foundation. I've been admiring Apple's strategy for years now.

Apple is still unparalleled in hardware and core software, in a league of their own. Now, if they can only get siri to do the basic tasks that they've been promising for the past 6 f&%$ing years...
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    volcan said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I suppose younger folks are interested in the latest and greatest new iPhone, but for many older people, innovation on or even under the surface just doesn't matter anymore. I find myself in that group. I still use an iPhone 6 and it does everything I need, although I may have to get a new one soon because the screen is starting to become detached on one side. Worldwide there is probably still a lot of upside potential, but in the US I think the demand is starting to level off. For many people like myself there is just no good reason to upgrade. Any innovation they make now simply does not create a motivation to replace a perfectly good iPhone.
    Shut it down, guys! He’s happy with his 6... Roll back all the processor, screen, graphics, touch, and optical improvements. Pinnacle of tech has been achieved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49

CobraGuy said:
    Nonsense. This stuff doesn’t design, engineer, improve, and build itself. It doesn’t fall off the tree fully formed. 
    LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 49

deminsd said:
    Who else came up with AirPods? Completely fixed the broke ass BT pairing model? Put two miniature computers literally in your ears?

Some of you “meh” moles need to get serious and see the day light out here. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Continual innovation is what distinguishes Apple from say BlackBerry and Nokia. But still analysts at Morningstar fail to give Apple a "wide moat," bringing up those ghosts. Not many companies can spend over $10 billion a year on R&D-- and be able to double it, if needed. Yes, it's more challenging given the widening array of products. But as DED has shown recently, they are also complementary or synergistic. Guess that's why they call it ecosystem.

What can bring down Apple? Not much. They have survived some balky software by fast fixes or improvements. (Maps ain't bad now; iOS 11 improving) From my view, they still seem hungry and responsive, not arrogant like IBM and Microsoft in their heyday. 

My hunch would be AI. This is a battleground to make your life easier, more cost-efficient, healthy, fun, and productive. Imagine several years from now, if google restricted its Top Performing generation of agent to each years Pixel and Google Home, then maybe Apple could witness defections if Siri has not had infusions of intelligence.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    StrangeDays said:
    Roll back all the processor, screen, graphics, touch, and optical improvements. Pinnacle of tech has been achieved. 
    Ha Ha! You know, I really don't need anything more than an iPhone 6, but some people do. To each their own. I spend most of my time working on a 30" or 27" monitor. An iPhone screen is too small to be very useful for me. I mostly just use it for calls and text when I am away from my desk. I rarely need to take it out of my pocket, even in the car, so all the improvements you mention are trivial as far as I'm concerned. I use my Watch for Apple Pay, but most of the time for calls, text and FaceTime, I do that on my Mac. I use the camera very infrequently. If I want to do any serious photography I have a $10K+ camera outfit.

I'm definitely not one of those people you see tripping on the sidewalk and walking into people because they are staring at their phone.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    deminsd said:
    Award winning? They have award shows for this type of thing?

best line in the article: creativity is more than skin deep. 

Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it's not there. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 49

AI has actually been one of the sharpest criticisms of the HomePod, Apple's first smartspeaker, since Siri doesn't offer as many functions -- or as much flexibility -- as voice assistants from Amazon and Google.
    APPLE ISN'T SELLING THE HOME POD AS A VOICE ASSISTANT LIKE AMAZON AND GOOGLE! It's called HomePod for a reason, to call out the iPod and music, if they wanted it to be considered a voice assistant, they would have called it SiriSpeaker, but, they didn't, did they?

To quote Apple's Phil Schiller on HomePod: "We Want to Create a New Kind of Music Experience in the Home That Sounds Incredible"

The HomePod is a speaker first and foremost, it is about music, and it is innovative, the innovation is in the sound and the adaptive audio tech (AI), to deliver consistent sound in any room, in nearly any location, can amazon or google do that? Do their speakers even sound any good to begin with? So, the problem is, people who have voice assistants that have a speaker in them, compare the homepod to those, but, the comparison should be to other speakers, not other voice assistants.

"Exhaustive acoustical analysis demonstrates HomePod is '100 percent an audiophile-grade speaker'" http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/12/exhaustive-acoustical-analysis-demonstrates-homepod-is-100-percent-an-audiophile-grade-speaker

"The developers have done an excellent job of having the HomePod adjust to the room; (it has) Impressive consistency in overall level and frequency response," said Brian MacMillan, associate general manager at NTi. "The HomePod automates spatial compensation that previously required a real audiophile's expertise, tools and time." from: http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/13/acoustic-testing-finds-homepods-adaptive-audio-tech-delivers-highly-consistent-sound

"Audiophile Review: HomePod 'Sounds Better' Than $999 KEF X300A Digital Hi-Fi Speakers" https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/12/homepod-audiophile-review-standing-ovation/

see also:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/08/homepod-first-impressions-regular-users/

As an audiophile, especially after reading ifixit's teardown, seeing how tightened down everything is and what they've done to prevent vibration noises or things falling apart on the longer term, if I could, I'd buy at least two right now, (I will in the future).

As far as Siri and voice assistant functions, those will surely be beefed up with software updates in the future, but, that's not it's main function.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 49

This was ten years ago. By that, I mean only ten years ago. People said it was an expensive toy, and without a keyboard or a stylus, no one was going to take it seriously. That was only ten years ago, and there is a long list of things the one in your pocket can do that was not yet available in the the one Steve’s holding in the picture. Of course Apple has been innovating, and at a furious pace. 
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    benji888 said:

APPLE ISN'T SELLING THE HOME POD AS A VOICE ASSISTANT LIKE AMAZON AND GOOGLE! It's called HomePod for a reason, to call out the iPod and music, if they wanted it to be considered a voice assistant, they would have called it SiriSpeaker, but, they didn't, did they?
    Have you ever looked at Apple's marketing of the HomePod on their product page? Simply reading the very first paragraph would tell you that Apple is promoting Siri as an important and even essential feature of the HomePod. https://www.apple.com/homepod/?afid=p238|sLYhJyuue-dc_mtid_20925u8r61652_pcrid_250416443481&cid=wwa-us-kwgo-aes-slid--
    Solimuthuk_vanalingam