Apple said to be upgrading AirPods with 'Hey Siri' & better water resistance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Kudos to @gatorguy predicting this development (in the comments about the smart speaker satisfaction survey) 3 hours after this article was published!
    3 hours before or after???
    Before Appleinsider. But after Bloomberg about an hour earlier had mentioned there was a rumor about it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 48
    AdambombAdambomb Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Please include an option to MUTE during a call on the ear pieces and not the case, Please and Thank You 
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Kudos to @gatorguy predicting this development (in the comments about the smart speaker satisfaction survey) 3 hours after this article was published!
    After.  So perhaps not so impressive :-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Post 23.... ;)
  • Reply 25 of 48
    lmac said:
    I bought a set but I don't use them much. The double-tap to play/pause is useful but I'd like to control volume without digging out the phone. Hey Siri is unreliable.
    Get an Apple Watch.  Wireless AirPod remote control on your wrist.  I didn't buy either device specifically because of that synergy, but it's very nice to have (especially since the latest watch OS revision that puts the Now Playing screen front and center when appropriate).
    watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 26 of 48
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    Great. love the AirPods, easily the best thing I bought in 2017. painted mine black though so would love a black pair or white pair. have left for playpause and right for skips track so hey Siri would be useful for volume controls. fully waterproof would the ultimate feature. the thought of wearing them in the shower getting ready for work is awesome ha
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    schlack said:
    When these were announced I thought they looked absurd. I've done a 180 and now I want some! But I can't buy until Apple makes a case that closes with silicone hooks on the AirPods because they don't stay in my ear without them (and I don't want to take them off and store them separately every time I put them away)
    Have you actually tried them?  I always have trouble getting headphones to fit my ears as well.  But my AirPods are great.  They don't fully seal, but they have never fallen out, either.  

I love my set.  I discovered that my EarPods would fall out because of the wire, not the shape.  I'm a musician, so I can speak to sound quality.  Granted, they are not reference headphones.  But they sound very good for casual listening, especially when I most of what I listen to is spoken podcasts.  The music that I have listened to sounds great, considering they are wireless earbuds. 

I couldn't be happier.  Only think would maybe be longer battery life in between case charges.  
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    sdw2001 said:
    schlack said:
    When these were announced I thought they looked absurd. I've done a 180 and now I want some! But I can't buy until Apple makes a case that closes with silicone hooks on the AirPods because they don't stay in my ear without them (and I don't want to take them off and store them separately every time I put them away)
    Have you actually tried them?  I always have trouble getting headphones to fit my ears as well.  But my AirPods are great.  They don't fully seal, but they have never fallen out, either.  

I love my set.  I discovered that my EarPods would fall out because of the wire, not the shape.  I'm a musician, so I can speak to sound quality.  Granted, they are not reference headphones.  But they sound very good for casual listening, especially when I most of what I listen to is spoken podcasts.  The music that I have listened to sounds great, considering they are wireless earbuds. 

I couldn't be happier.  Only think would maybe be longer battery life in between case charges.  
    "Good enough" sound is what some here are bringing up as negative about the Echo's and cheaper Homes.
    muthuk_vanalingamspliff monkey
  • Reply 29 of 48
    gatorguy said:
    sdw2001 said:
    schlack said:

"Good enough" sound is what some here are bringing up as negative about the Echo's and cheaper Homes.
    Lol EarPods are not for premium audio.
    but AAC is quite awesome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    I love mine so much , I cannot explain it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    lmac said:
    I bought a set but I don't use them much. The double-tap to play/pause is useful but I'd like to control volume without digging out the phone. Hey Siri is unreliable.
    Sell them off on eBay or Craigslist.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    gatorguy said:
    Post 23.... ;)
    I'm just saying, this story has a timestamp of 5am and your comment was posted at 8am.  

But in all seriousness, I do believe that you posted your comment before you saw the story here.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    gatorguy said:
    sdw2001 said:
    schlack said:

I have a pair of Bose in-ear headphones that sound better than Apple wired and wireless buds (probably only because they are sound isolating).  Having said that, I haven't use the Bose ones in a year or so because I can only wear then for a few hours comfortably.  I can literally wear my AirPods all day and forget that I even have them in.  Sound isolation would be a plus, but not a must-have feature for me--especially if it changes the fit/comfort.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    We want a “durable” product. Not something “aged” in just a year.

These look quite durable. Try eBay.
    And you think this joke is on the level. Right. Try something better. Actually I use Sennheisers that outperforms and outlasts Apple and while "old" it still has timless style. You may want to stick out your nose from Apple Store and go visit Sennheisser or Bang & Olufsen. Then we can talk.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 48
    I love my AirPods but it would be great if Apple could make them “impossibly thin”.  While they’re at it I think they should remove the headphone part of the AirPods anyway...this is 2018 after all.  Who needs legacy technology??  
  • Reply 36 of 48
    They have been terrific and sounds for me is exceptional for the price. Now you can forward and rewind with a tap they are even better. Agreed, i like the fact I can hear traffic around me.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    We want a “durable” product. Not something “aged” in just a year.

These look quite durable. Try eBay.
    And you think this joke is on the level. Right. Try something better. Actually I use Sennheisers that outperforms and outlasts Apple and while "old" it still has timless style. You may want to stick out your nose from Apple Store and go visit Sennheisser or Bang & Olufsen. Then we can talk.
    In what way your pile of equipment is comparable to this product, the specs and features are totally different, maybe you could stay on point buddy.

That's like saying the fracking Porsche RS GT2 is also a better car than the airpods.., but so what, WTF is the point you are making!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    I am rather skeptical of this report for two reasons:

First, the AirPods are already exactly as waterproof (actually, more so) right now as the future ones described in this article. Evidence: http://www.redmondpie.com/are-apple-airpods-waterproof-find-out-in-this-water-and-drop-test/

Second, there is flatly no way Apple is going to bring out new AirPods with new features every year like they do the iPhone. I should think they'd get updated about as often as the Apple TV or the Apple Watch, about every two-to-three years. IMO, Apple will update the AirPods only when some notable technological change offers a real advantage over the current ones. At present there is zero threat to AirPods from truly-wireless earbuds from anyone else, so bringing some new ones out (with the described incredibly minor-to-nonexistant improvements) in the near future would simply anger those who made the investment in the first set. Certainly there will be some new AirPods at some point ... but the source article gets one major prediction obviously wrong, and seems highly speculative on the second prediction. To quote the Magic 8-ball "my sources say no."
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    I love my AirPods but it would be great if Apple could make them “impossibly thin”.  While they’re at it I think they should remove the headphone part of the AirPods anyway...this is 2018 after all.  Who needs legacy technology??  
    Is this a joke?  I don't get it.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    lightvox said:
    Useless to me until they implement passive noise cancelling.  Every Apple headphone (not including Beats) has sounded horrible (weak bass and mids) because the earbuds don't properly seal.  Clear example of design over function.
    Then get a pair of in ear canal buds and not ear buds that produce the exaggerated bass you're looking for. The AirPods and EarPods produce a fairly balanced sound for what they are. 

I have headphones and IEC buds that I use inside. But when moving around or out and about, I used EarPods and now AirPods because they don't seal. I want to hear ambient sounds and those are significantly attenuated by any sealing of the ear canal.

Apple had demo AirPods to try, and try as I might I couldn't shake them out, so I order some. I'm in the market for a second pair to keep in the car. Hey Siri would be handy there, when my phone isn't on ship's power.
    watto_cobra