How to see which applications on your Mac are 32-bit and won't be supported in the future

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    longpath said:
    Really appalled to see so much of Adobe's most recent Creative Suite with a No.... Just as shocked to see Maxon in the same camp....
    I just checked, and all my CC apps are 64 bit.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Thank goodness, Stickies is 64bit.

That said, I've got a huge pile of 32bit apps, some of which I fear won't be updated (classic games, even recent ones). Aside from those, I'm actually looking at bit forward to a big purge of junk. Might even start fresh with my next Mac and not do migration assistant at all, which sounds like a horrible process, but would get rid of 15 years of cruft buildup.
    I can’t live without the MacOS Stickies! 
    I just checked on my MacOS 10.13.4, and Stickies 10.1 is 64 bit.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    asciiascii Posts: 5,458member
    If anyone wants to test 64-bit only mode early, you can do it with the Terminal as of 10.13.4:
    sudo nvram boot-args="-no32exec"

and then allow 32-bit again with:
    sudo nvram boot-args=""

• Reply 44 of 46
    My consulting work, for good or bad, has been depending on Microsoft Office 2011, since I mostly have to share files with a company that without exception uses only locked-up Dell notebooks. I see that Office 2011 is 32-bit, and that's going to be a problem. i am not interested in MS's 365 or any of their other options, so I guess my mid-2012 Macbook Air with Office 2011 will not be updated. The Air is pretty old and I don't think updating to a newer OSX would improve anything anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 362member
    Haven’t and won’t upgrade to High Sierra. Not gonna happen.
    I had similar concerns because I have older versions of Photoshop and Illustrator that are 32-bit. 
    My solution was to create a small partition to install Sierra, plus whatever legacy apps onto. Since you can partition on the fly now it was painless and I didn’t loose any data. 
    Then I updated the main partition to High Sierra and haven’t had any problems since. 
  • Reply 46 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 1,212member
    My consulting work, for good or bad, has been depending on Microsoft Office 2011, since I mostly have to share files with a company that without exception uses only locked-up Dell notebooks. I see that Office 2011 is 32-bit, and that's going to be a problem. i am not interested in MS's 365 or any of their other options, so I guess my mid-2012 Macbook Air with Office 2011 will not be updated. The Air is pretty old and I don't think updating to a newer OSX would improve anything anyway.
    Why would you not just buy Office 2016?