California police turn to decoys & undercover agents to trap person shooting at Apple & Go...

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Californa Highway Patrol is now using decoy buses to try and locate the shooter -- or shooters -- firing pellet guns at shuttles carrying workers to Apple and Google campuses.




The FBI is also involved, and local police are putting undercover officers on the real shuttles, the CHP's John Fransen told Business Insider. Those people will "take appropriate action" if a bus is shot at, Fransen said, though he declined to explain what that might entail.

The charter bus operator, Storer, is further incentivizing capture by offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

Since January, there have been 20 or more shootings at charter buses in the San Francisco Bay Area, among them five used by Apple and Google workers. Apple decided to start re-routing shuttles as a safety precaution, even while it was still unclear whether guns were involved.

The weapons used have been shattering glass and causing dents, but without any injuries.

One possibility is that resentment against tech industry shuttles has come to a boiling point. Residents have accused the buses of driving up already high rents along their routes, since engineers with companies like Apple, Google, and Facebook often command large salaries and are willing to relocate for the convenience.

At the same time, the buses could simply be an easy target for people wanting to take potshots or sow chaos, which may make investigations that much more difficult.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 55
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 1,875member
    Yay guns! 
    viclauyycchristopher126GeorgeBMaclostkiwiEsquireCatsjony0[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 55
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 554member
    Sounds like bored/stupid people doing stupid stuff.  Boeing had this issue, I think they still do.  As they would move their fuselages via rail, they would end up at the end of the line with .22 holes in them.  People were shooting at the trains as they rolled by.  
  • Reply 3 of 55
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,578member
    Why do people have to be fucking idiots? What the hell is wrong with our country!? People can't even go to work and work all day without some asshole just being a 100% dipshit and shooting everyone up. This has to stop! 

    Sorry for the language...but this shit is just pissing me off. 
    edited March 2 MuntztokyojimumwhiteEsquireCats
  • Reply 4 of 55
    The solution is simple.

    Start arming the bus drivers.
    dws-2SpamSandwich2old4funcharlesgresracerhomie3singularitySoliMacsplosionviclauyycGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 55
    The solution is simple.

    Start arming the bus drivers.
    Then everyone who ever cut off a bus would be dead. 
    2old4fun
  • Reply 6 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,403member
    airnerd said:
    Sounds like bored/stupid people doing stupid stuff.  Boeing had this issue, I think they still do.  As they would move their fuselages via rail, they would end up at the end of the line with .22 holes in them.  People were shooting at the trains as they rolled by.  
    This is not the same issue. There has been a long running battle between social activists wanting affordable housing and big tech companies who’s highly paid employees they blame for the rising cost of housing. Apple, Google, and other have been busing their employees to work from San Francisco and surrounding area. So this is likely some unhinged activist who has taken things too far.
    MuntzStrangeDaysbonobob
  • Reply 7 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,403member

    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    So ban pellet rifles too? How about rocks?
    Muntzchristophbanton zuykovbloggerblogtallest skilpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 55
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 196member
    lkrupp said:

    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    So ban pellet rifles too? How about rocks?
    Those are not equal in the amount of damage they can do. You might have heard the old saw, "Don't take a pellet rifle to an assault rifle fight."
    christophbEsquireCatsjony0wlym
  • Reply 9 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,896member
    Retrofit with bulletproof glass. Voila!
  • Reply 10 of 55
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 605member
    Did any of you read the part about the economic class disruption these buses are assisting? Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. Why must taxpayers subsidize companies like Apple and Google. I live in NYC and hyper gentrification has pretty much ruined the city I love. Google, Facebook and other tech companies are invading my residential neighborhood and lobbying city hall to change zoning laws which will allow for glass and steel offices building in our low rise, historic neighborhood. Community grass roots efforts are working to prevent this from happening but money usually wins in our capitalist society. Employees of Facebook are now living in newly built one bedroom apartments which sell for $1.5 million. A Catholic school, rectory and circa 1900 church were all demolished to make way for this condo. Meanwhile prices have soared as landlords know they can charge any price to get chain stores (something unheard of in NY until recent years) in commercial spaces, rent stabilized long term residents are either being bought out of their leases, or illegally forced out by gas and heating shut offs which extends for months. If you do not live in a major city you might not be experiencing this dramatic attack on how you live but I know that citizens of cities like San Francisco has suffered dearly from the tech boom. I pity the city which Amazon decides to gut. 

    Finally, I do not condone shooting buses, however someone needs to disrupt the disruptors and bringing the fight more public is the first step. 
    edited March 2 dws-2frankielostkiwiStrangeDaysmmatz
  • Reply 11 of 55
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 198member
    Targeting success. Priceless. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 12 of 55
    eideardeideard Posts: 351member
    lkrupp said:
    airnerd said:
    This is not the same issue. There has been a long running battle between social activists wanting affordable housing and big tech companies who’s highly paid employees they blame for the rising cost of housing. Apple, Google, and other have been busing their employees to work from San Francisco and surrounding area. So this is likely some unhinged activist who has taken things too far.
    Anarchists calling themselves social activists even lose what "respectability" they have among social historians. Among legitimate activists, women and men striving for social and economic change, anarchy is nothing more than dimwits trying to justify political masturbation.
    Muntzairnerdanton zuykovtallest skil
  • Reply 13 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,422member
    I'm not a fan of announcing methods.  It makes it that much easier for the perps to adapt.  

    These calls for banning air rifles are ridiculous.  Just raise the minimum purchase age to 65.  Can't take sport away from those who actually vote.
    edited March 2 mwhiteGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,403member
    dws-2 said:
    lkrupp said:

    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    So ban pellet rifles too? How about rocks?
    Those are not equal in the amount of damage they can do. You might have heard the old saw, "Don't take a pellet rifle to an assault rifle fight.”
    The original poster is equating a pellet gun with a firearm... or they didn't read the article and posted a knee-jerk reaction.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    In California, of all the states!...the state that is not pro-gun, but it is pro anti-fa, for example. Oh, the irony.
    edited March 2 tallest skilSpamSandwichmmatz
  • Reply 16 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,403member

    spice-boy said:
    Did any of you read the part about the economic class disruption these buses are assisting? Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. Why must taxpayers subsidize companies like Apple and Google. I live in NYC and hyper gentrification has pretty much ruined the city I love. Google, Facebook and other tech companies are invading my residential neighborhood and lobbying city hall to change zoning laws which will allow for glass and steel offices building in our low rise, historic neighborhood. Community grass roots efforts are working to prevent this from happening but money usually wins in our capitalist society. Employees of Facebook are now living in newly built one bedroom apartments which sell for $1.5 million. A Catholic school, rectory and circa 1900 church were all demolished to make way for this condo. Meanwhile prices have soared as landlords know they can charge any price to get chain stores (something unheard of in NY until recent years) in commercial spaces, rent stabilized long term residents are either being bought out of their leases, or illegally forced out by gas and heating shut offs which extends for months. If you do not live in a major city you might not be experiencing this dramatic attack on how you live but I know that citizens of cities like San Francisco has suffered dearly from the tech boom. I pity the city which Amazon decides to gut. 

    Finally, I do not condone shooting buses, however someone needs to disrupt the disruptors and bringing the fight more public is the first step. 
    I see you want to stop this but do you have a solution? What, force Apple and Google to locate elsewhere? Pay their employees less so housing prices drop? Make Apple and Google build rent-free dormitories in San Francisco (like Foxconn factories) so service workers don’t have to drive an hour to work? House the homeless at Apple’s and Google’s expense but disallow a tax deduction for doing so?

    Does the quiet traditional life trump jobs?
    edited March 2
  • Reply 17 of 55
    frankiefrankie Posts: 369member
    The solution is simple.

    Start arming the bus drivers.
    HAHA so true,.  That would be the NRA, and thus the GOP's response.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 55
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 554member
    spice-boy said:
    Did any of you read the part about the economic class disruption these buses are assisting? [b]Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. Why must taxpayers subsidize companies like Apple and Google.[/b] I live in NYC and hyper gentrification has pretty much ruined the city I love. Google, Facebook and other tech companies are invading my residential neighborhood and lobbying city hall to change zoning laws which will allow for glass and steel offices building in our low rise, historic neighborhood. Community grass roots efforts are working to prevent this from happening but money usually wins in our capitalist society. Employees of Facebook are now living in newly built one bedroom apartments which sell for $1.5 million. A Catholic school, rectory and circa 1900 church were all demolished to make way for this condo. Meanwhile prices have soared as landlords know they can charge any price to get chain stores (something unheard of in NY until recent years) in commercial spaces, rent stabilized long term residents are either being bought out of their leases, or illegally forced out by gas and heating shut offs which extends for months. If you do not live in a major city you might not be experiencing this dramatic attack on how you live but I know that citizens of cities like San Francisco has suffered dearly from the tech boom. I pity the city which Amazon decides to gut. 

    Finally, I do not condone shooting buses, however someone needs to disrupt the disruptors and bringing the fight more public is the first step. 
    Isn't a "public bus stop" just a location?  Maybe a covered awning?  is that really what this is about, tech companies using the same location to stop their buses and load passengers?  
    bonobob
  • Reply 19 of 55
    fred1fred1 Posts: 271member
    spice-boy said:
    Did any of you read the part about the economic class disruption these buses are assisting? Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. Why must taxpayers subsidize companies like Apple and Google. I live in NYC and hyper gentrification has pretty much ruined the city I love. Google, Facebook and other tech companies are invading my residential neighborhood and lobbying city hall to change zoning laws which will allow for glass and steel offices building in our low rise, historic neighborhood. Community grass roots efforts are working to prevent this from happening but money usually wins in our capitalist society. Employees of Facebook are now living in newly built one bedroom apartments which sell for $1.5 million. A Catholic school, rectory and circa 1900 church were all demolished to make way for this condo. Meanwhile prices have soared as landlords know they can charge any price to get chain stores (something unheard of in NY until recent years) in commercial spaces, rent stabilized long term residents are either being bought out of their leases, or illegally forced out by gas and heating shut offs which extends for months. If you do not live in a major city you might not be experiencing this dramatic attack on how you live but I know that citizens of cities like San Francisco has suffered dearly from the tech boom. I pity the city which Amazon decides to gut. 

    Finally, I do not condone shooting buses, however someone needs to disrupt the disruptors and bringing the fight more public is the first step. 
    These companies with buses are already being charged something like $1 per bus per stop to help relieve the economic strain on the city of San Francisco.  As for housing prices as a result of these people, I don't have a solution except that many cities require a percentage of new housing to be for low income people.  San Francisco is one.  And you can bet that the Catholic school, rectory and church building were bought for a pretty penny, more than enough for them to be rebuilt elsewhere.  
  • Reply 20 of 55
    fred1fred1 Posts: 271member

    The solution is simple.

    Start arming the bus drivers.
    There's an even better solution: disarm the perpetrators.  
    stevenoz
This discussion has been closed.