Cupertino official warned Apple of potential Apple Park glass impacts 9 months ago

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Soli said:
    My company built a new HQ a few years ago, with an "open design" with lots of glass panels and glass doors.  During the first few weeks it was a bit confusing and awkward for everyone, and our building wasn't as radically transparent at the pictures included in this thread above.  The solution was--surprise, surprise--to etch some frosted lines on the doors and on various other panels and it hasn't been an issue since.  And no they didn't use stickers nor disassemble anything to edge the glass.

Seriously, look at those pictures above (which I am too lazy to insert here).  It's really hard to tell if where the darn walls are.  It's looks cool, but people shouldn't have to walk around with their hands out to avoid smacking into glass.  The only fix for walls you can see it to make them less invisible.
    You're not allowed to say that. You can only say that Apple never makes mistakes, and you better not say that company makes ridiculous or foolish decisions from time to time.
    Except it’s neither ridiculous nor foolish. In fact it’s so common of an issue Apple already solved it years ago at other locations. The solution here will be no different. 

Expecting them to halt a multi-billion dollar project to address it first is ridiculous and foolish. Order of operations are a thing. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 62 of 74
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    A glassGate after a batteryGate.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    My company built a new HQ a few years ago, with an "open design" with lots of glass panels and glass doors.  During the first few weeks it was a bit confusing and awkward for everyone, and our building wasn't as radically transparent at the pictures included in this thread above.  The solution was--surprise, surprise--to etch some frosted lines on the doors and on various other panels and it hasn't been an issue since.  And no they didn't use stickers nor disassemble anything to edge the glass.

Seriously, look at those pictures above (which I am too lazy to insert here).  It's really hard to tell if where the darn walls are.  It's looks cool, but people shouldn't have to walk around with their hands out to avoid smacking into glass.  The only fix for walls you can see it to make them less invisible.
    You're not allowed to say that. You can only say that Apple never makes mistakes, and you better not say that company makes ridiculous or foolish decisions from time to time.
    Except it’s neither ridiculous nor foolish. In fact it’s so common of an issue Apple already solved it years ago at other locations. The solution here will be no different. 

Expecting them to halt a multi-billion dollar project to address it first is ridiculous and foolish. Order of operations are a thing. 
    Halt? You think it would bring to stop a project this massive? Did it halt the entire project to spend more than a year discussing door handles? Of course not, so why make such a weak argument as to suggest Apple is so incompetent that they'd have to "halt a multi-billion dollar project to address" a basic safety and utility issue?

You're so bothered with calling out Apple for doing anything wrong (or any other company for doing anything right) that you inadvertently made them sound even more ridiculous with your defense. Apple doesn't need you to cheerlead for them, especially if you're going make ridiculous comments about stopping a multi-year, multi-billion dollar operation that included countless contractors and

It's an oversight and Apple made a mistake as evidenced by their decision to correct it. It's no different than their issue with stores that are too loud, except this has an easy and cheap solution. Apple makes mistakes. And why wouldn't they? They're a company made up of humans, not a mythical deity.
    edited March 2018 jasenj1cgWerks
  • Reply 64 of 74
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Remember... These are the smartest people in the world
  • Reply 65 of 74
    tyler82 said:
    Remember... These are the smartest people in the world
    Even if were to use some standardized test that was infallible and had a way of creating a verifiable measuring system that we can administer to all "people in the world" it still wouldn't mean that they're infallible.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    cgWerks said:
    Can one even parody this? :)

The closest I can think of is that episode of Simpsons where Sideshow Bob keeps getting hit by rakes.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 67 of 74

How much of an issue is this really? Is it just people being unfamiliar with a new office? If so, it should sort itself out pretty soon.

The way the story is being built up, you'd think Apple employees are Lemmings banging into each and every glass door and wall in there.

• Reply 68 of 74
    tangeytangey Posts: 31member
    I'm guessing bird strikes will be a big issue. It's very common for birds to not see large panes, especially when there is another large pane on the other side also opening into greenery.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 69 of 74
    tangey said:
    I'm guessing bird strikes will be a big issue. It's very common for birds to not see large panes, especially when there is another large pane on the other side also opening into greenery.
    There is glass that various bird species can detect.

I've seen no indication that Apple has incorporated this company's product, or taken incorporated other measures, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    hentaiboy said:
    People called 911 over a cut eyebrow? WTF???
    Why do you think healthcare costs in the US are so high? Idiots. The answer isn’t marxism, it’s fewer idiots.
    Totally agree. If we had fewer idiots Trump would not be in the White House. But I digress, healthcare should be free. Easily affordable if Trump didn't spend so much of our tax dollars on weekly vacations to Mar-a-Lago.
    Soli
  • Reply 71 of 74
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    tangey said:
    It's a test... only the birds that work it out get to enjoy the garden within.
    Like building windfarms where the annoying birds steal farmers crops.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 72 of 74
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    volcan said:
    Totally agree. If we had fewer idiots Trump would not be in the White House. But I digress, healthcare should be free. Easily affordable if Trump didn't spend so much of our tax dollars on weekly vacations to Mar-a-Lago.
    But, then Hillary would, which would be far, far worse. That said, I think they need to eliminate the health insurance industry and go single-payer (which, I think Trump is actually in favor of). And, Trump's trips aren't even a speck of sand in the universe compared to the hyper-inflated military spending... plans to rebuild the nuclear arsenal... finish overthrowing all the countries on the list, etc. And, unfortunately, it looks like Trump is being puppet'd much like Obama, but almost anything is better than 'we came, we saw, he died' Hillary tromping down on the war-accelerator pedal.

Trump may be a joke, but that's better than an evil warmonger... and not nearly the joke as the clown we have up here in Canada.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    cgWerks said:
    volcan said:
    But, then Hillary would, which would be far, far worse. That said, I think they need to eliminate the health insurance industry and go single-payer (which, I think Trump is actually in favor of). And, Trump's trips aren't even a speck of sand in the universe compared to the hyper-inflated military spending... plans to rebuild the nuclear arsenal... finish overthrowing all the countries on the list, etc. And, unfortunately, it looks like Trump is being puppet'd much like Obama, but almost anything is better than 'we came, we saw, he died' Hillary tromping down on the war-accelerator pedal.

Trump may be a joke, but that's better than an evil warmonger... and not nearly the joke as the clown we have up here in Canada.
    There are more wars going on under Donald Trump right now (legal or illegal) than any other president in American history.
    Solifastasleep
  • Reply 74 of 74
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    tyler82 said:
    There are more wars going on under Donald Trump right now (legal or illegal) than any other president in American history.
    While I'd like to see a reference for that, it's possible. And, the USA intends to expand on that in some really dangerous ways. It doesn't seem to matter who is in the President seat... though having a neoCon warmonger (i.e.: Hillary) in there certainly makes things easier. At least Trump *could* be a monkey wrench in the works.

Listen to the last couple episodes of the Congressional Dish podcast if you really want the crud scared out of you. (And, to get back a bit more towards reality if you've been influenced by the MSM BS.)