YouTube TV increasing subscription cost for new users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Google's YouTube will start implementing its pre-announced price increases for YouTube TV on Tuesday, one that will increase the monthly subscription price for the online streaming television service by $5 to $40 for all new subscribers.

Originally announced on February 14, the increase to $40 will take place on March 13 for anyone signing up for YouTube TV from that date onward. Existing subscribers and those who sign up before the subscription bump will continue to pay at the $35 rate for exactly the same package.

The U.S.-only service is separate to YouTube's main user-generated content offering, instead providing live streams for a wide variety of channels from major broadcast networks, including ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, along with some sports and cable channels. As well as the basic package, subscribers can also pay extra for add-ons that include networks like Showtime and Fox Soccer Plus.

At the time of the original price rise announcement, YouTube confirmed it was adding Turner network broadcasts to the service, adding CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, and other channels. NBA TV and MLB Network were also touted for addition to the base package, with add-on passes offering more sporting content on the way as well.

Still absent from the roster is Viacom channels including Comedy Central and MTV, but despite Viacom's reported intention to create its own streaming service by September this year, it may still license its channels to YouTube TV in the future.

YouTube TV is currently available on a wide number of platforms, including the iPhone and iPad since launch, followed later by support for the Apple TV. Other platform options include Android, Roku, the Xbox One, and some non-Android TVs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LOL!
    jbdragoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 531member
    So YouTube is the new Comcast? And when do they start adding additional fees to the advertised price?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Your first line says $5 to $40, read that and originally thought wow that’s a bit of a increase!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    appneckappneck Posts: 14member
    Mistake!

• Reply 5 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    Fine by me. Just another service I have zero need to sign up to. I get most of my TV from the Antenna when was one of the first things I installed when I got my house. I get most of my TV that way and record to a TIVO with Tivo Mini's in the bedrooms. That costs me ZERO per month and 100% legal. in HD and 5.1 surround for most of the channels. Tons of content. Throw in Netflix, and what else do you really need? Maybe they don't get this, but what you can't see you can't miss. I already have to much content to watch.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 18
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,460member
    AppleTV's new YouTube app is awful, and its laggy UI is nauseating.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    I will gladly pay them....zerooooo!

And man, yeah that new youtube app is a crime against humanity. it is absolute proof google is a collection of engineers with no taste or appreciation of users and the user experience. what a complete joke. it’s sad when you prefer to use your ipad over the giant TV to watch youtube videos. 

If this is an indicator then Apple has little to fear from “Google getting better at design faster than Apple gets better at cloud”. 
    edited March 2018 SpamSandwichcornchipwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Why can’t companies just be happy to the one thing they do, well. Remember when YouTube was the video sharing app for regular people? Why not just BE that instead of just another media monster? Bigger is not always better. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    nope
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    seen so many people saying this but since the update mines been perfect, also prefer the new layout as well!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,106member
    I agree 100%. I can’t imagine what they were thinking. It been driving me nuts, although the upside is that I’ve been much less inclined to watch clips on YouTube, which is probably just as well, I suppose. 
    bloggerblogStrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Geez!   $40!   For THAT?
    It's not like people have no other options.  Actually most people have a LOT of other options.
    I guess Google isn't used to charging for their junk...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    mavemufc said:
    seen so many people saying this but since the update mines been perfect, also prefer the new layout as well!
    Did you ever use the old one? They removed swipe-scrubbing. In no way is the new method of skipping thru a video remotely the same or better than swipe-scrubbing. It’s much worse. 
    edited March 2018 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Har har har har. 

Looks like Google wants to squeeze more money out of you. 

Sooner or later, they will cost the same as Cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18

Yup, I just don't like the new app.

I also don't like Netflix blaring a trailer when I'm scrolling the content and am on a program for more than a couple of seconds.

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Wow this is a terrible move on YouTube's part.

I'm definitely not gonna use YouTube to stream, but I'm also not a fan of Netflix. I've been trying to figure out what the best streaming alternative would be. This article compares some of the options and lays them out in a useful way: https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/netflix-alternatives-amazon-itunes-co-reviewed/

Based on what it says, i'm leaning toward Amazon Prime, since that comes with other advantages for Amazon too. Anyone have any recommendations/tips?

• Reply 17 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wow this is a terrible move on YouTube's part.

I'm definitely not gonna use YouTube to stream, but I'm also not a fan of Netflix. I've been trying to figure out what the best streaming alternative would be. This article compares some of the options and lays them out in a useful way: https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/netflix-alternatives-amazon-itunes-co-reviewed/

Based on what it says, i'm leaning toward Amazon Prime, since that comes with other advantages for Amazon too. Anyone have any recommendations/tips?

Amazon Prime has pretty good rotating selection of movies. Maybe not as much as Netflix, but the other advantage is the free shipping.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    SpamSandwich said: Amazon Prime has pretty good rotating selection of movies. Maybe not as much as Netflix, but the other advantage is the free shipping.
    Yeah that's true. Amazon Prime really is looking like the best option...