Apple Music reaches 38M subscribers, gained 2M in last month

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    kudu said:
    Apple Music rocks! I have a tip that readers might find super useful. And I wonder if this is well known... When I hear a song I like while out and about, I ask Siri to identify the song. About once a week I go to the iTunes Store app, tap on the 3 lines top right, and select Siri. From there I tell Siri to play them and add them to My Library. It’s a great way to grow a collection :) 
    Hmmmm, interesting... I’ve just been using Shazam for that, and didn’t even think to use Siri. Thanks!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I’d be curious to know the demographics of the typical AppleMusic user. I have feeling that it probably skews much older compared to Spotify, and not the coveted 15- 34 segment. For example, not one of my son’s or daughter’s friends (late teens to early 20s) — to whom I’ve pointedly asked the question about AM v. Spotify — uses AM.

You might say that’s just two data points, but between the two of them, I’ve asked more than a dozen kids. Maybe my sample is atypical, but I doubt it.
    A survey came out a few (several?) months ago, and it turns out that young people are actually more likely to subscribe to Apple Music (which only has paid tiers) than pay for Spotify. And then just in the last few days, another survey pointed to the fact that Millenials are very attached to Apple as a platform. After doing a quick search, I found this survey that backs up both of those claims and shows that young people pay for Apple Music more often than they pay for Spotify.

http://www.fluentco.com/insight/disrupting-music-consumption/

But you could be correct that more young people use Spotify because of the free tier it offers.
    ted13watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    cropr said:
    ted13 said:
    I find the idea that Spotify is better than Apple Music because “it works everywhere” hilarious. Before Apple Music ever existed I kept wanting to try Spotify, but never did, because it required Adobe Flash to run on the Mac, which I had gotten rid of a long time ago due to security and horrible Flash based web advertising. Now that Flash has officially been discontinued I'm guessing they've finally figured out how to support a Flash free Mac/PC version of Spotify (have they?). So, yes, I ended up getting Apple Music instead of Spotify, because it actually does work everywhere. That and it had a wide music video selection which Spotify didn’t (has that changed?). And to this day Spotify doesn’t support AppleTV (which I use for Apple Music constantly). So no, Spotify doesn’t come remotely close to working “everywhere”
    Are you aware that George W. Bush is no longer president of the US?
    So which one of my questions is hopelessly out of date to the pre 2008 era? Did Spotify suddenly come out with an AppleTV app or for that matter Apple Watch app?  Or do you think nobody uses them?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Suraj PadmasaliSuraj Padmasali Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    May this is because of the Apple’s new smart speaker-HomePod. Well, for sure people would like to play songs on HomePod. But, it uses Apple Music. So, people have started to subscribe Apple Music, and they gained great 2M users in a month.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I’d be curious to know the demographics of the typical AppleMusic user. I have feeling that it probably skews much older compared to Spotify, and not the coveted 15- 34 segment. For example, not one of my son’s or daughter’s friends (late teens to early 20s) — to whom I’ve pointedly asked the question about AM v. Spotify — uses AM.

You might say that’s just two data points, but between the two of them, I’ve asked more than a dozen kids. Maybe my sample is atypical, but I doubt it.
    Yes, a survey sample size of twelve (12) is certainly too small to draw any conclusions from. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27

Yes, a survey sample size of twelve (12) is certainly too small to draw any conclusions from. 
    No one claimed was remotely scientific. N = 12 is the least of the reasons for why it’s not, for heavens’ sake, if you knew some basic statistical inference.

Give it a rest.
    edited March 2018 gatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 27
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    kkqd1337 said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    If Apple made Apple Music more platform agnostic I would give it a go. Probably like a lot of people I use Spotify just because I know it will work everywhere, could easily be convinced to switch, but I don't trust Apple to make my life easy on Apple Music.  
    It works on iOS with the Music app, Android with its own version of the Music app, plus macOS and Windows with iTunes.

I'm not sure how much more platform agnostic you want.
    Its not just OS's. Its all the IOT devices, cars etc and a web app too. 
    Why? Who really needs more than a phone? I plug my phone into my car and have access through Car Play. If you're listening at work, etc. why wouldn't you use your phone anyway?