Apple clamps down on changes to 'What's New' text & URLs in App Store listings

Posted:
in iPhone
As of April, iPhone and iPad developers will no longer be able to make on-the-fly changes to the "What's New in This Version" text in App Store listings, or even those pages' support and marketing URLs.

Altering any of those fields will now require submitting an app update, according to Apple. The change was announced via iTunes Connect, the portal developers use to manage their App Store content.

Apple hasn't said why the change was necessary, but presumably the company caught some developers abusing the system. Conceivably, for instance, a developer could submit a legitimate-seeming app but then change text and URLs to promote a scam.

The new arrangement could prove inconvenient for honest app makers, preventing them from correcting/updating information that's separate from new binaries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good. Lots of devs apply tasteless use of said feature.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Not a big fan of restriction everyone due to the actions of a tiny minority.  Seems like the Democratic way.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    roake said:
    Not a big fan of restriction everyone due to the actions of a tiny minority.  Seems like the Democratic way.
    With this decision, at least everyone is on the same playing field. It's the way life goes...a couple of people always ruin things for everyone else. 
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Ah, the rules we must make to curb the 1%.  I say shoot 'em and they won't lie, cheat, steal anymore.  :wink:  :wink:   :wink: 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    roake said:
    The Apple App Store isn't a democracy.

i guess developers will just have to actually PROOFREAD. Everyone should proofread before posting commercial content.
    pbone15
  • Reply 6 of 7
    What they really should restrict is devs using the exact same release notes for every single update. 
    cornchipairnerdaricb
  • Reply 7 of 7
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    pbone15 said:
    What they really should restrict is devs using the exact same release notes for every single update. 
    YES!  It's annoying to always see "We update monthly to provide the best experience" or the dreaded and generic "bug fixes".  let me know what you are fixing, because it may have been affecting me and I might take the update as opposed to just delete your broken junk. 
    jony0pbone15