Tim Cook speaks out on Cambridge Analytica debacle, calls for stricter consumer privacy sa...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    The drop in AppleInsider users coincides with the recent overhanded moderation. Coincidence I think not.  
    tallest skilSpamSandwichwilliamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The drop in AppleInsider users coincides with the recent overhanded moderation. Coincidence I think not.  
    IMO the ones with something pertinent to say, interested in honest discussion, have stuck around. Those with nothing more than insults and attacks have moved on to easier targets in lesser fields. Who wants the members of a high profile Apple fan site to come out sounding like spoiled intolerant and undereducated brats? Better moderation has given us a better forum and certainly puts a better image of Apple fans front and center. 
    edited March 2018 Solibaconstangmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 64
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The part I found objectionable was that people that knowingly signed up with that app to share their information unknowingly (?) signed up to share all their friends information as well! Giving up your own privacy with informed consent is one thing: cascading that to imply consent for a member’s entire contact tree is absurd and clearly an abuse. It’s that violation/loophole that wildly inflated the dataset from the approximately 270,000 people to 50,000,000. Yet it’s hapoened (is happening) Before: didn’t Google assert the right to scan not only all Google mail accounts but also all the emails of anyone who SENT or RECEIVED a message to/from a Google email account?

As far as Facebook commoditizing my contributions on its free platform? TANSTAAFL 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 44 of 64
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    If you have not listen to the Apple insider pod cast on this subject, you should.

Everyone wants too blame Facebook since it is easier to blame someone else, but most need to look no further than their own mirror. I never bought in to the Facebook thing and always felt it would be bad. I also valued my privacy over getting free things. 

I learned a few things from the pod cast, basically anyone who is pissed off your own information may have been used against you, you have to remember you got something free and you gave facebook the right to use your information the way they like. They never had to ask you if it was okay to allow third parts to use your information, you gave up that right by creating that account.

If you want to protect your information. Then stop using free stuff, and pay for your services.
    Paying for something doesn't make the "selling you" issue go away.

Between retailers sharing your purchases, banks/credit card providers sharing your financial history, your cellular provider sharing your use data, the government sharing your driving, ownership, and legal history, pharmacy's sharing your prescription history, schools sharing your education history, and recent sharing issues even within Apple (China and likely Russia too, data sharing with publishers within Apple News and targeted ads within the App Store, and the new Apple supported Cloud Act that eases and simplifies the sharing of personal data with "friendlies") this whole conversation about "privacy" is little more than marketing fluff IMHO.

All those paid services don't "protect your privacy" if the provider sees value in sharing it, economically or politically, more so than in keeping it to themselves. Words are easy. Actions are just a tad more difficult. 

Please. The sum total of everything you listed pales in comparison to what Google or Facebook know about you. Also funny how you slip Apple into your list to imply they are somehow on the same level. They aren't.

This is going to come back to bite Google and Facebook in the ass. Hard. It was only a matter of time before something happened that would bring privacy issues and data collection out into the public eye. Apple is going to come out of this smelling like a rose while Google and Facebook will smell like the piles of horseshit they are.
    VAVOOM, Eric! I strictly avoid Goophabet and FB and use Better (by indie) tracker blocker on all my Apple devices.
    I hope you don’t avoid Google by using Duck Duck Go because The Goog provides the search data. Funnily enough The Goog provides the search function for Bing and Yahoo as well.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    If you have not listen to the Apple insider pod cast on this subject, you should.

Everyone wants too blame Facebook since it is easier to blame someone else, but most need to look no further than their own mirror. I never bought in to the Facebook thing and always felt it would be bad. I also valued my privacy over getting free things. 

I learned a few things from the pod cast, basically anyone who is pissed off your own information may have been used against you, you have to remember you got something free and you gave facebook the right to use your information the way they like. They never had to ask you if it was okay to allow third parts to use your information, you gave up that right by creating that account.

If you want to protect your information. Then stop using free stuff, and pay for your services.

Between retailers sharing your purchases, banks/credit card providers sharing your financial history, your cellular provider sharing your use data, the government sharing your driving, ownership, and legal history, pharmacy's sharing your prescription history, schools sharing your education history, and recent sharing issues even within Apple (China and likely Russia too, data sharing with publishers within Apple News and targeted ads within the App Store, and the new Apple supported Cloud Act that eases and simplifies the sharing of personal data with "friendlies") this whole conversation about "privacy" is little more than marketing fluff IMHO.

All those paid services don't "protect your privacy" if the provider sees value in sharing it, economically or politically, more so than in keeping it to themselves. Words are easy. Actions are just a tad more difficult. 

Please. The sum total of everything you listed pales in comparison to what Google or Facebook know about you. Also funny how you slip Apple into your list to imply they are somehow on the same level. They aren't.

This is going to come back to bite Google and Facebook in the ass. Hard. It was only a matter of time before something happened that would bring privacy issues and data collection out into the public eye. Apple is going to come out of this smelling like a rose while Google and Facebook will smell like the piles of horseshit they are.
    VAVOOM, Eric! I strictly avoid Goophabet and FB and use Better (by indie) tracker blocker on all my Apple devices.
    I hope you don’t avoid Google by using Duck Duck Go because The Goog provides the search data. Funnily enough The Goog provides the search function for Bing and Yahoo as well.
    DuckDuckGo searches are anonymized.
    baconstangwilliamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 46 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

It doesn't really matter if they can't track you. That's the important stuff.
    baconstangwilliamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 47 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Most people who dropped are few post users and reacting straight up to editoralized news .
    If that's needed for this site not to become a cesspool like MacRumor, so be it.

The moderators even said that they probably would make the same amount of money with the comments closed,
    that we are even lucky this thing is open at all. so it's not a big loss for them anyway.

baconstangwilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 48 of 64
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    gave up information on millions of connections without their permission with an academic account, and not a commercial one.
    Does this mean that this harvesting of data would have been ok had CA had a commercial account?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

You seriously believe Google hasn’t got some means of tying that data to you?
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Post volume is up by about 11%. Visible posts are down by about 12%.

We don't make money on the forums. In fact, between moderation labor and other costs, they take a loss. I think they're important, though.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacSoligatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    we didn't make this political, and neither will you. This is about Facebook, Cambridge Analytica's misuse of the data, and Cook's response.
    It’s inherently political. Cook supported the CLOUD act, which abolishes the 4th amendment, and then has the gall to say he supports “privacy.”
    Well, let me clarify then, since it's apparently not obvious. Whataboutism, and "it's only a scandal because of candidate X" to make you feel better about any combination of X, Y, or Z, will be dealt with harshly. The alternative is a straight lock from the get-go.

How about that?
    Thank you!
  • Reply 52 of 64
    The CA "scandal" is not so much about them collecting 'our' data -- either with our permission or not -- either with our knowledge or not.   As most posts on this thread have already pointed out, collecting that data is now common, standard practice.

What sets CA apart is the misuse of that data.
    Well, not so much the misuse, but because they were so damn good at misusing it.

And, this isn't about selling toilet paper. 
    Their own ads brag about how they have turned elections in third world countries.
    The fear is that they MAY HAVE turned elections in both the UK and the U.S. 

They are one representative of a new way of doing things that democracies around the world have yet to come to grips with:  the expert analysis of people's innermost hopes, fears, weaknesses and biases to twist and manipulate their thinking with disinformation and propaganda.  And, while that has been done by most every politician since the start of democracy, CA has put it on a whole new level that leaves people defenseless to it.

I think the best analogy was back in the 60's when people feared that subliminal images in movies and TV were brainwashing viewers without their knowledge or consent.  CA may have made those fears real.

And, this isn't about Republican, Democrat or Russian.  It's about manipulation.   The UK hired this company years ago to influence foreign elections for them -- and I would bet that the U.S. has too (or something similar).   The manipulation can and has covered all sides... 
  • Reply 53 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

What an absurd world view. The ultimate in whataboutism, a logical fallacy. You know what those are, right? I have to believe you do. Then why deploy one here? 

Privacy is real. You can choose to support companies that build a business model around selling your data to marketeers (Google, Facebook), or you can buy products from companies who are more aligned with your own values and have a different business model. 

BTW several states closed the loophole on data mining prescription histories years ago. Without exposing it that privacy issue wouldn’t have been corrected. Hardly fluff as you claim. 
    edited March 2018 williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 54 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

If you can’t provide evidence or a compelling suggestion of evidence then you have nothing. 
    williamlondonsingularity
  • Reply 55 of 64
    StrangeDays said:
    Privacy is real. You can choose to support companies that build a business model around selling your data to marketeers (Google, Facebook), or you can buy products from companies who are more aligned with your own values and have a different business model.
    That’s what scares me. Because while I deleted my Facebook account years ago, everybody around me uses it and apparently fails to comprehend how much they’ve been productized.
    They don’t really understand the implications of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, and most of what I hear is “oh, but I only use it for cat videos” or “how am I going to keep up with my family and the grandkid pictures” and “but everybody uses it, if I don’t I’ll be shut out from my circle of friends.”
    And not a single one of them has deleted their FB account or changed their habits.
    I’m afraid it’s a fight we already lost.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    StrangeDays said:
    That’s what scares me. Because while I deleted my Facebook account years ago, everybody around me uses it and apparently fails to comprehend how much they’ve been productized.
    They don’t really understand the implications of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, and most of what I hear is “oh, but I only use it for cat videos” or “how am I going to keep up with my family and the grandkid pictures” and “but everybody uses it, if I don’t I’ll be shut out from my circle of friends.”
    And not a single one of them has deleted their FB account or changed their habits.
    I’m afraid it’s a fight we already lost.
    And what scares me is that people think CA simply productized/commercialized people.  Their goal was to brainwash them by identifying and then exploiting their innermost hopes, fears and biases. 
    ... This ain't about your favorite brand of toilet paper...
    edited March 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 64
    That is just a consequence of the productization, which facilitated targeting of specific groups for false narratives and brainwashing. And yes, it’s even more horrific obviously. Sadly, you were so busy writing an unnecessarily patronizing quip that you completely missed my point, which is that people don’t care.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

If you can’t provide evidence or a compelling suggestion of evidence then you have nothing. 
    Just don't mistake DDG for a browser, or click on any of the DDG proffered ads you see, and remember that once you follow a DDG link all bets are off. 
    https://duck.co/forum/thread/13178/i-thought-browsing-on-duckduckgo-was-private
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    We should view ourselves as invited guests in AppleInsider's home. They are not blocking anyone from participating in the many party conversations that swirl around in here on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. But like any guests, if you get loud, obnoxious, break the furniture, or pee in the aquarium you will be asked to leave and may not be invited back for the next party. Every one of us would act the same way if the party was in our own home. Be nice.
    gatorguysingularitySpamSandwich
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Probably, the most scary part of personal data mining/collection is not the knowledge itself, and not the ads you see, but a possibility to influence your decisions - exactly what was reportedly done by Cambrige Analytica.
    GeorgeBMac