April Fools: get ready for the worst jokes in the tech industry

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    foggyhill said:
    ascii said:
    foggyhill said:
    Welcome to the post truth "journalism" (most sites are as far from traditional journalism as can be so I'm using this term derisively for sure).,
    Doesn't Daniel's picture from 1894 make you think that maybe journalism has always been like that?

So, it just went for circle from

Some good info floating in a sea of shit  ---> Mostly Good info ---> Good info floating in a sea of crap.
    Maybe the cycle you talk about is due to changes in bandwidth to the consumer over time.

In the days when newspapers were the main way people got news, newsprint was extremely cheap to produce, so there were thousands of papers, and the easiest way to compete was to tell people what they wanted to hear.

Then TV became the main way people got their news but airwave bandwidth was limited, so only a few major stations, so it was possible to run an objective news service and still make money.

And then came the Internet which gave virtually unlimited bandwidth. So now we are back in the age of newsprint again, where the easiest way to compete is to cater to people's biases.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    Daniel needs to stick to tech.  He just doesn't understand marketing.  Or, more correctly, he pretends that it either doesn't exist or has no impact.

Yes Daniel, Google is cleaning house in education with their Chomebooks.
    No Daniel, they don't have to make money on them.

Google is accomplishing 2 of their goals:
    1)  Establishing a comfort level with school admins with their products as well as indoctrinating kids with their products and ecosystem.   How many grade schoolers now have Google IDs and familiarity with Google Docs and other ecosystem products -- but not with Apple?

2)  In education Google's product is the kid and his data.  And Google is cleaning house there...

Daniel assumes that superior technology will always win out over marketing strategies and proclaims that it is "proven".  Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.   If it were, everybody would be running either MacOS or OS2 instead of Windows today.  But, despite being superior technologies, both got beat and stayed beat. 
    The first one is OK. The second needs correction.

Google is not monetizing any school child's education data,  presenting any ads in a classroom setting, nor placing ads at home based on data connected to their Google for Education account.  They do not even permit a child to use their own personal Google account (if they have one) in a classroom setting in order get out ahead of privacy concerns. A personal Google account that a high schooler might have (they don't need one) and one assigned in Google Classroom for education use are entirely separate.

Google derives revenue from charging schools an administrative fee ($30 on every Chromebook purchased) along with GSuite for Education monthly per user fees for administration, faculty, and support staff. There may also be a licensing fee somewhere in there too but not certain. 
    Your faith in Google is admirable...
    Isn't that the same company that went around collecting everybody's WiFi data, stored it on their servers -- and then when they got busted said:  "Who?  What?  Did I do that?  Must have been a rogue programmer!"
    Yup, same company.  There's a difference in putting guarantees in writing. The FTC already has them under their watchful eye so there's very little chance they'd lie about it at this point. The Safari issue put them on thin ice. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 63 of 64
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    gatorguy said:
    Yup, same company.  There's a difference in putting guarantees in writing. The FTC already has them under their watchful eye so there's very little chance they'd lie about it at this point. The Safari issue put them on thin ice. 
    I lost faith in Google after they said for years that they did not mine GoogleDocs documents for data,
    and then last year said they wouldn't do it anymore.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    DAalseth said:
    gatorguy said:
    I lost faith in Google after they said for years that they did not mine GoogleDocs documents for data,
    and then last year said they wouldn't do it anymore.
    I missed that one. Where did you find that? Maybe you confused that with no longer ad scanning free Gmail accounts? Google never denied that they logged the free version of GMail for keywords in targeted ads some time back, but no longer do so. Paid accounts never were used in advertising keyword scanning AFAIK. 

EDIT: Nope, nary a mention about Google ever mining Google Docs for ad data. Maybe you can find it.
    edited April 2018