Review: 2018 iPad with Apple Pencil support might replace your iPad Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    SiriLover said:
     Don’t be that person who parrots the 2016 meme of not using your iPad for iPad photography. We have moved on since then as have the cameras. Now we are aware that not everybody’s eyesight is the same and that the use of the larger view finder benefits and aids many with impaired vision or who simply prefer a larger view finder to take great photos. We are no more in the way then those people with those huge phones.  Please move into 2018 and stop trotting out that old offensive anti-iPad photography myth. Many of us who aren’t 20/20 would thank you for it.

And since Apple never did anything with the smart connector other than allow a few keyboards to connect to it, it doesn’t even count as a pro benefit. I think this 2018 iPad with pencil support  will definitely give the pros a run for their money.
    You can do it, but it's a dick move to the people behind you who are using their iPhones to capture the same thing -- and who also may be pushing somebody in a wheelchair who doesn't want to see your iPad.

So, I will continue to say it as I please. You want to use your iPad? Fine, be courteous to the others with disabilities around you-- but in my experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Wow, that is a very, very specific and detailed complaint. I mean, when I take iPad pictures, there’s usually nobody behind me because I’m on the beach or whatever.
    irelandalbegarc
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    SiriLover said:
     Don’t be that person who parrots the 2016 meme of not using your iPad for iPad photography. We have moved on since then as have the cameras. Now we are aware that not everybody’s eyesight is the same and that the use of the larger view finder benefits and aids many with impaired vision or who simply prefer a larger view finder to take great photos. We are no more in the way then those people with those huge phones.  Please move into 2018 and stop trotting out that old offensive anti-iPad photography myth. Many of us who aren’t 20/20 would thank you for it.

And since Apple never did anything with the smart connector other than allow a few keyboards to connect to it, it doesn’t even count as a pro benefit. I think this 2018 iPad with pencil support  will definitely give the pros a run for their money.
    You can do it, but it's a dick move to the people behind you who are using their iPhones to capture the same thing -- and who also may be pushing somebody in a wheelchair who doesn't want to see your iPad.

So, I will continue to say it as I please. You want to use your iPad? Fine, be courteous to the others with disabilities around you-- but in my experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Wow, that is a very, very specific and detailed complaint. I mean, when I take iPad pictures, there’s usually nobody behind me because I’m on the beach or whatever.
    It is indeed. I was not shy in another venue talking about disabilities that some of my family members have. It is not iPad photography in particular I have an issue with. It is when people are inconsiderate about it, which in what is apparently my anecdotal evidence, not all photographers.
    albegarc
  • Reply 23 of 35
    As a nearly 70-year-old grandmother, I am frequently unable to get my pictures because a hulking great big man with big hands has been in the way with his iPhone camera. You said it Mike, it is all about consideration. Usually I just ask the person to  please  move over so that I can get my picture. This really doesn’t have to be a big thing, if we just use our mouths and ask in courtesy if the person can help you get a good shot.  You said it Mike, it is all about consideration. But generalizing people who use iPads for photography when clearly they have paid for these good cameras  too is perhaps a little bit strong.   Perhaps losing that “don’t be that person“ expression and instead saying “be considerate” would sound a lot less 2016 and a lot more inclusive. 
    macplusplusirelandalbegarc
  • Reply 24 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    fallenjt said:
    JFC_PA said:
    My iPhone X has me convinced all my future mobile devices WILL have Face ID so I’ll be waiting for that shoe to drop for iPad. I’d guess in the next iPad Pro?
    iPad is not really a personal device but shared gadget within family. Face ID really defeats that purpose. Unless Apple allows multiple Face ID in iPad Pro (I think they may), Face ID in iPad is nothing more than a gimmick.
    For you, possibly, not for everybody. Personally, I would like Face ID on my iPad as long as it works in the horizontal position. 
  • Reply 25 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Honestly see not much wrong when I see older gents taking photos using an iPad.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 26 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    $329 9,7" iPad with pencil support is Go-To iPad which won't effect iPad Pro sale but stops people buying cheap android tablet. Apple needs to have similar GoTo Macbook,Macbook Pro version..
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    wood1208 said:
    $329 9,7" iPad with pencil support is Go-To iPad which won't effect iPad Pro sale but stops people buying cheap android tablet. Apple needs to have similar GoTo Macbook,Macbook Pro version..
    It will affect iPad Pro sales, but probably not by 50% or something crazy.

I prefer my MBA to MB as a product. I prefer a 13.3" display over a 12". I prefer the additional battery life. I prefer to have MagSafe. I have soft spot for the aluminium frame around the display. I like being able to copy items to USB while I charge without needing the additional complexity and expense of needing a hub and a place to put and find it when I need it.

What the MacBook has that's better is Retina, but I'd do without Retina if it means giving up those things I've mentioned.

Apple won't release this product, but what they need is simply a more affordable MBA. Even if that means no Retina display I'd like to see them do it. $799 128 GB (optional 256 GB add-on).

MacBook should be 13.3" and have two USB ports (not one). And MacBook Pro should ship only with four USB ports, nixing the two port version.

So you'd have a choice between:
    • a budget MBA without Retina starting around $799 ($999 for 256 GB)
    • a full size 13.3" MB with Retina, decent battery life, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, 256 GB $1199
    • a much more powerful MBP, sold only with four Thunderbolt 3 ports. Starting at $1,499 and 256 GB, without compromises.
    I'd also consider, if updating the line, reversing the naming on the products giving the more budget notebook the name MacBook and giving the next one up the cooler sounding MBA name.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Stay on topic in the conversation. An iPad review is not the venue for a political manifesto.
    GeorgeBMacdewmealbegarc
  • Reply 29 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cpsro said:
    Anti-reflective coating? I don't believe the cheaper iPads have it.
    This is what I am interested to know as well. The iPad Air 2 has anti-reflective coating and that's what I would prefer. There is a noticeable difference between the Air 2 and the 2017 5th Gen.
    It doesn't.   But as the Apple store rep told me:  "Unless you're out in the sun a lot, it doesn't make a lot of difference."
    After buying the new iPad for my grandson, I agree....
  • Reply 30 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Thank you Mike!  That was an excellent review that incorporated the typical techy comparisons and benchmarks with real world common sense and experience.  I particularly liked your comment:
    "If you thought that an education-focused event was going to have a high-end and expensive iPad debut, we're not sure what to tell you. That just doesn't make any sense, and would have been profoundly tone-deaf."
    ... Well said!

On Friday (it's first day in stores) I bought a 128Gb with the Logictech keyboard for my grandson.   He loves it for the games it can play.   Unfortunately his mom loves it too -- but for the
    Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Powerpoint I loaded for her (they're free!).    So I may have created a family feud there.   So sorry!

But that shows the power and flexibility of this device!  Incredible!
    For me, I am astounded at how well this works with the keyboard.  I never, ever would have thought it till (like so many things Apple) I tried it.  Very simply, in addition to all the stuff iPads have been great at (browsing the web, games, and videos), this one functions very well as a laptop replacement.

True, the keyboard is not great -- but it is still VERY good.  While it can't compare to a Thinkpad keyboard, it is perfectly adequate for casual use.  My grandson can easily use it for his 5th grade homework and his mom can use it for occasional memos and such. Plus, the top row contains a lot of the iPad specific controls -- like the Home Button and volume controls....   Very convenient.  Very Sweet!

But what really surprised me about it was that I really didn't mind the absence of a cursor.  On those occasions when I had to reach up to touch the screen, everything was so compact and close that it was an easy, natural thing to do.   Admittedly I have not tried the cursor intensive stuff like spreadsheets & heavy word processing.  But, for general use, this combination worked just fine.

And too and amazingly:  my grandson does not mind the keyboard when he plays his games.  In fact, he uses it as a platform to help hold the device on those games that use on-screen thumb controls.  In fact, despite my encouragement, he has yet to remove it from the keyboard case for any reason -- including his favorite games.   My only "complaint" about the keyboard is that, compared to the slim & trim version available for the iPad Pro, this one is more bulky than it needs to be.  (But it still does its job very, very well!)

I didn't buy the pencil because neither me nor my grandson saw much use for it.  But I did pay the extra $100 for the extra memory from the 32Gb base model.  He has a 32Gb Mini2 (which he's graciously handed down to me!).  But since he uses a lot of games, videos and movies, we found that 32Gb to be way too restrictive. 

So, this is a really great, multi-purpose device that, with the Logitech keyboard, can and will satisfy a lot of user needs and is "One Giant Step" forward towards a laptop replacement without sacrificing any of the great functionality of a stand-alone iPad.

So Mike:  while I enjoyed reading your comparison to the iPad Pro, I look forward to your comparison to the MacBook. 
    ... My bet is that, in a head to head competition, the iPad with a LogiTech keyboard will win.
    .......  No, it won't do the high end video editing of a MBP, but for normal use -- my money is no the IPad.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    cpsro said:
    Anti-reflective coating? I don't believe the cheaper iPads have it.
    This is what I am interested to know as well. The iPad Air 2 has anti-reflective coating and that's what I would prefer. There is a noticeable difference between the Air 2 and the 2017 5th Gen.
    It doesn't.   But as the Apple store rep told me:  "Unless you're out in the sun a lot, it doesn't make a lot of difference."
    After buying the new iPad for my grandson, I agree....

I find that it does very well with the glare from windows as well, or if you are sitting in an area that has light above your head. Not just out in the sun as the Apple store rep mentioned.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mike1 said:
    fallenjt said:
    JFC_PA said:
    My iPhone X has me convinced all my future mobile devices WILL have Face ID so I’ll be waiting for that shoe to drop for iPad. I’d guess in the next iPad Pro?
    iPad is not really a personal device but shared gadget within family. Face ID really defeats that purpose. Unless Apple allows multiple Face ID in iPad Pro (I think they may), Face ID in iPad is nothing more than a gimmick.
    For you, possibly, not for everybody. Personally, I would like Face ID on my iPad as long as it works in the horizontal position. 
    You tell me how many people in American household don't share their iPad. Family of 4 will have 4 iPad cuz no share for Face ID? Oh, don't bring the PIN in here because it will confirm that the Face ID is really a gimmick for home iPad because you need to use PIN to share. iPad Pro is more personal device, but regular iPad. Don't see Apple ever moves there for regular iPad unless multiple Face IDs are possible.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 33 of 35
    tipoo said:
    Does it poll the pencil at 240Hz like the Pro (even the OG pre-ProMotion)? And by extension, finger input at 120? 

This page hasn't updated 

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/Displays/Displays.html
    And who cares? BTW ALL Macs support non-rechargible penns that work like fingertip and you can buy then from Amazon for less than $10. I use them on regular iPad Mini for business note. So what's polling for? The same argument as what CPU and memory device has? Who gives damn these days? It is about practicality and usability and not about technical metrics.Those days are gone.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    tipoo said:
    Does it poll the pencil at 240Hz like the Pro (even the OG pre-ProMotion)? And by extension, finger input at 120? 

This page hasn't updated 

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/Displays/Displays.html
    And who cares? BTW ALL Macs support non-rechargible penns that work like fingertip and you can buy then from Amazon for less than $10. I use them on regular iPad Mini for business note. So what's polling for? The same argument as what CPU and memory device has? Who gives damn these days? It is about practicality and usability and not about technical metrics.Those days are gone.
    One. More. Time.

A capacitive stylus is not the same as an Apple Pencil.