15-inch MacBook Pro refresh could have Intel's new six-core i9 processor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    linkman said:
    We will still have people blaming Apple for not supporting > 16 GB RAM on the MBP. Yes, Apple could do it with a larger form factor/greatly reduced battery run time. If you really need that much RAM in a laptop, go get yourself something like an Alienware from Dell (prices start at $2300) which weighs 7.69 pounds and gets around 4 hours on battery.
    It's inexcusable for Intel to not get its act together to go beyond 16GB on mobile chips.  This, and other blunders is why Apple is dumping Intel I think.  

In my opinion, 16GB is/should-be the defacto start for "pro" notebooks like the MBP.  In my case, I got rid of my 8GB machine simply because of virtual machines.  Personally, if Apple offered a 32GB, I would have taken that.  16GB suffices, but I can see myself hitting even that limit.  My iMac at home has 64GB in it and I run it to the max for all the various processes.  
  • Reply 22 of 58
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Sam123 said:
    Macxpress, read the PC reviews on the Dell XPS with the 8th generation processors and you see that both battery life and processing power have increased both on the Intel i-5 and i-7 processors. Your just plan wrong or misinformed.  
    Oh sorry...they increased to 5hrs. My fault...
    StrangeDaysRayz2016
  • Reply 23 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Sam123 said:
    Intel 8 generation processors for laptops have been on the market since last fall. Its Apple who has decided to stay one and two generations behind. On the PC side all major laptop producers have 8 generation models for sale for months now. 
    There a many different types of chips released over a long period of time within each “generation”. Xeons might arrive a year after the first low power chips within a line of chipsets. Did you miss the part where these were just announced today?
    Apple CPU's will never have the number crunching power of Intels processors.
    The only advantage Apple will have is extracting better battery life with their CPU's but never better raw power. Intel has been in this business for decades. 
    "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."
    osmartormenajrStrangeDayscgWerks
  • Reply 24 of 58
    LOl one day the A13, the next day the I9 but Apple has proven incapable of even realising mac models. Years go by and ain't noting happening so hooey with the chip gossip.
    Time for little timmy cookie and his loser minions to ride out of town!
    Bring back the Guy and let the good times roll again...
    There were 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros released. This article is about the likely 2018 MacBook Pro. I’m no mathematician but I’m pretty sure we didn’t skip any years in there. 

Who is “the Guy”? Jobs? I think he retired. 
  • Reply 25 of 58
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    LOl one day the A13, the next day the I9 but Apple has proven incapable of even realising mac models. Years go by and ain't noting happening so hooey with the chip gossip.
    There were 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros released. This article is about the likely 2018 MacBook Pro. I’m no mathematician but I’m pretty sure we didn’t skip any years in there. 

Some people like to believe the 2016 and 2017 MBPs didn't actually happen. Not sure why, I like mine.

Maybe "the Guy" he's talking about is Guy Kawasaki, but not sure what he thinks Guy would be able to do about it.

fastasleepStrangeDayscgWerks
  • Reply 26 of 58
    night9hawknight9hawk Posts: 103member
    anome said:

Some people like to believe the 2016 and 2017 MBPs didn't actually happen. Not sure why, I like mine.

Maybe "the Guy" he's talking about is Guy Kawasaki, but not sure what he thinks Guy would be able to do about it.

Talk about how smart and cool he is. I met him at a MacWorld conference and wasn't impressed. Onto the next "guy"...
  • Reply 27 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    emoeller said:
    All gen8 Intel processors now have access to both types (SSD & ram) of Optane memory developed by Intel.  I would suspect that Intel will provide an Optane solution for laptops to resolve the 16Gb limit on RAM.  In fact the i9 specifically notes that it can access 32Gb RAM in laptop configurations.
    Yes, with DDR4 RAM. NOT LPDDR3, and there is no LPDDR4 support at all.
    It does make you wonder what is wrong with Intel these days.     AMD could easily blow them out of the water with a Ryzen mobile with built in High Bandwidth Memory, I wouold not be surprised at all if AMD delivers something like this before 2019.

As for Intel it does make you wonder where their engineering priorities are.   The lack of LPDDR$ memory support is seemingly hard to explain to a 3rd party observer.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Sam123 said:
    Intel 8 generation processors for laptops have been on the market since last fall. Its Apple who has decided to stay one and two generations behind.
    On the PC side all major laptop producers have 8 generation models for sale for months now. Apple CPU's will never have the number crunching power of Intels processors.
    The only advantage Apple will have is extracting better battery life with their CPU's but never better raw power. Intel has been in this business for decades. 
    Why would you say this?   Apple has plenty of talent and money to drive processor performance to any level they want.    Plus there are industry teams trying to extend ARM to drive high performance computing with one member being Fujitsu.   If Apple where to team up with Fujitsu they would end up with a vector processor that makes Alt-Vec look like something from the era of the 6502.  

Even in the x86 world Intel hasn't always been in the lead performance wise.   AMD has stumbled badly but these days they are far more competitive.  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 58
    macxpress said:
    Sam123 said:
    Intel 8 generation processors for laptops have been on the market since last fall. Its Apple who has decided to stay one and two generations behind.
    On the PC side all major laptop producers have 8 generation models for sale for months now. Apple CPU's will never have the number crunching power of Intels processors.
    If you only get 4hrs of battery life out of a more powerful processor than the power is useless in the end. Honestly, if you're doing so much work on your MacBook Pro that its putting you behind because of the CPU generation then you bought the wrong Mac to begin with. The PC side as always, just cares about specs, not usage. Having the latest and greatest in everything isn't always the best idea. 
    While I agree to an extent the reality is it becomes very foolish to pay Apple prices for hardware that is extremely dated.    In this regard machines like the Mac Mini simply are not worth the price tag Apple has on them.  
    cgWerksavon b7
  • Reply 30 of 58
    macxpress said:
    cropr said:
    linkman said:
    We will still have people blaming Apple for not supporting > 16 GB RAM on the MBP. Yes, Apple could do it with a larger form factor/greatly reduced battery run time. If you really need that much RAM in a laptop, go get yourself something like an Alienware from Dell (prices start at $2300) which weighs 7.69 pounds and gets around 4 hours on battery.
    A Dell XPS 15 also support 32 GB RAM and has s better battery life than the Macbook Pro.  (I have both running in my company)
    But it still runs Windows....
    Or Linux which by the way is very similar to Mac OS.   I'm so pissed with Apples Mac Lineup tha tI purchased an HP Envy with the new Ryzen Mobile processor and frankly it is a huge value compared to Apple and even Intel based machines.   This machine will likely have one of the Linux distros installed as the primary OS soon, It looks like they wrapped up most of the bugs specific to this machine.   Considering how I used the Mac this should work out just as well as a Mac OS based machine and be faster than anythign Apple can deliver at nearly twice the price.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Whatever the hell you smoke dude!

Are stoned bots a thing now, on AI forums?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 58
    anome said:

Yeah, I thought maybe that was it, but he was a marketing person not a designer or engineer. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
  • Reply 33 of 58
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:

Yeah, I thought maybe that was it, but he was a marketing person not a designer or engineer. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    Exactly. I mean establishing the Evangelist Network was important to the early stages of the Macintosh, but had little to do with building the product. Maybe he thinks he'd be able to get everyone excited about the new MBPs, but it sounds like he thinks there's a more fundamental problem with them than that.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    linkman said:
    Bingo. No thanks...as a pro I like a lightweight yet very capable machine in my satchel to work on when remote. I won’t come close to making out it’s capabilties as a dev machine. 
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Sam123 said:
    Macxpress, read the PC reviews on the Dell XPS with the 8th generation processors and you see that both battery life and processing power have increased both on the Intel i-5 and i-7 processors. Your just plan wrong or misinformed.  
    I can’t say about that, but all I know is every single Dell and HP my enterprise clients have given me to use is a POS compared to my MBPs. The current Dell POS has a SSD yet its fans kickoff like hairdryers throughout the day for no reason. Dell simply doesn’t understand thermal design the way Apple does. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 36 of 58
    lightvox said:
    Bought a loaded used 2014 Macbook Pro to wait until the 16GB ram limit is resolved.
    So how much RAM does your 2014 model have? Oh, yeah. Hmm strange logic — buy a less capable machine than a more capable one as a form of protest?
    curtis hannahfastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 58
    netrox said:
    Unbelievable that there's no support for more than 16 GB of RAM for those who need ultra high speed access for large datasets.
    So what is this guy doing wrong?

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/07/zdziarski-mbp-ram

• Reply 38 of 58
    What on earth is that barely comprehensible gibberish supposed to mean?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    netrox said:
    Unbelievable that there's no support for more than 16 GB of RAM for those who need ultra high speed access for large datasets.
    So what is this guy doing wrong?

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/07/zdziarski-mbp-ram

Yes, the mistake he’s making is actually trying the machine, rather than bleating about it based on stuff he’s read from fellow bleaters who also haven’t tried the machine. 
    anomeStrangeDays