macOS 10.13.4 update breaks Duet Display, Air Display & USB DisplayLink drivers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member

Yeah. This is on the vendors in this case.
    Sure - Apple has no fault for not providing means other than unsupported workarounds; it's all those lazy/stupid/incompetent third party developers who are trying to meet users needs that Apple are not fulfilling.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    docno42 said:
     Best I can do is unplug one of those monitors and plug it in to my DisplayPort with a DVI adapter. 
    If they are recent Dell monitors, there's a good chance they have native Display Ports on them and a few even have two.  If so, you can chain monitors with Display Port.  

Also the recent generations of MacBook Pro's should be able to drive two monitors directly.  If you have two Thunderbolt ports you have two Display Ports too.  
    Sadly these are fairly low-end monitors that have VGA and DVI inputs only. Also, I'm still rocking an early-2011 MBP, so I'm only able to drive a single monitor. Next year I'll finally upgrade my aging machine and then I'll be able to take advantage of multiple external displays, although I am hoping there will be a fix for this issue long before then.

This year is the year my mid-2011 Mac Mini is finally replaced (with an iMac) since it's my more heavily used machine.
    docno42
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    docno42 said:

Yeah. This is on the vendors in this case.
    Sure - Apple has no fault for not providing means other than unsupported workarounds; it's all those lazy/stupid/incompetent third party developers who are trying to meet users needs that Apple are not fulfilling.

Sheesh.
    I didn't say anything about lazy or incompetent. But, basing your business model on an unsupported workaround seems like a bad plan.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Rupp25Rupp25 Posts: 1member
    My main CPU is a New Mac Pro, about 4 years old. I have dual NEC monitors attached. The only third party software I use is SpectraView, which is a NEC product used to calibrate the monitors. Will they no longer work on the new OS? 

I did manage to get in and turn "automatic OS updates off" before it updated.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Rupp25 said:
    My main CPU is a New Mac Pro, about 4 years old. I have dual NEC monitors attached. The only third party software I use is SpectraView, which is a NEC product used to calibrate the monitors. Will they no longer work on the new OS? 

I did manage to get in and turn "automatic OS updates off" before it updated.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you
    Unaffected. You're not using the DisplayLink drivers.

The problem is only in iOS display extenders like Duet, and the USB DisplayLink drivers. If you have neither, you're fine.
    edited April 2018 Rupp25Rupp25
  • Reply 26 of 31
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    'Ok team, we're redesigning this Chevy engine for better performance and economy, so here are some changes...'

'Uh don't you think we should check with aftermarket manufacturers to what we're going to do, first?'

Homeowner: 'I'm remodeling the garage to make access easier and more efficient.

Neighbor: 'Let me know what the changes are. I get in and borrow your tools when you're not here so I don't have to wait to ask if it's ok. OK?' 

LOL, I don't think so.

Apple should ensure Macs can use standard monitors in traditional roles, of course. (BTW- what's 'clone' mode for a second monitor? I know mirroring and extended desktop, but 'clone'?)

But that Apple owes developers something because devs want to use devices in a manner they weren't intended to be used, in an unsupported workaround? Yeah, stop your OS development and do something for some of us devs.

• Reply 27 of 31
    tarekadamtarekadam Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "Apple doesn't owe developers"

I hope Apple doesn't think that way.  Partly because they charge a $99 annual fee to developers on their platform & take 30% of the developers sales, and also because ... the community of developers are creating new capabilities for Apple devices every day.  It's why the devices are so useful.
    docno42
  • Reply 28 of 31
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I didn't say anything about lazy or incompetent. But, basing your business model on an unsupported workaround seems like a bad plan.
    Seriously?  Entire cottage industries (rather successful ones too!) have been built around plugging gaps that others don't. 

It's not like display port or the concepts around it are some Uber-geek only capability here.  Being able to add more displays via USB is VERY useful and extremely common.  It doesn't surprise me Apple shit on them; it's just disappointing they don't seem to care about something that is actually pretty reasonable and far from some extreme niche desire.  

The few machines I have that rely on display link we kept on Sierra anyway - the new window manager made me nervous.  Apparently concern about it was more than justified. 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    docno42 said:
    Seriously?  Entire cottage industries (rather successful ones too!) have been built around plugging gaps that others don't. 

It's not like display port or the concepts around it are some Uber-geek only capability here.  Being able to add more displays via USB is VERY useful and extremely common.  It doesn't surprise me Apple shit on them; it's just disappointing they don't seem to care about something that is actually pretty reasonable and far from some extreme niche desire.  

The few machines I have that rely on display link we kept on Sierra anyway - the new window manager made me nervous.  Apparently concern about it was more than justified. 
    You mis-read my comment. I'm not referring to filling gaps. I don't challenge the utility of adding more displays through USB.

I'm referring to using an unsupported workaround in code to get something done. Sooner or later, "unsupported" means "doesn't work."
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 30 of 31
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Today Apple introduced a MacOS security update and Duet released both Mac and iOS updates which (at least on my 2017 iMac running MacOS 10.13,4) resolves the Duet problems introduced in the last MacOS update.    I've tested it on videos, apps, and finder and all works well as both a mirrored and extended second display.

Time to update my laptop, which I had to revert back to MacOS  10.`3.3 as the last update broke Duet and some other programs I use.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    RomeynRomeyn Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    emoeller said:
    Today Apple introduced a MacOS security update and Duet released both Mac and iOS updates which (at least on my 2017 iMac running MacOS 10.13,4) resolves the Duet problems introduced in the last MacOS update.   
    Not all of them!  I still can't use my iPad in full-screen, portrait mode.  Duet support says:

"The resolutions are basically hard coded by Apple for this method.  We’re trying to see what we can do to best resolve the issue of the aspect ratios not matching. After latest Apple updates, Duet is supported in landscape orientation only not in portrait right now."