Final Cut Pro 10.4.1 update with ProRes RAW now available

Posted:
in Mac Software
Apple on Monday released its expected Final Cut Pro X 10.4.1 update, introducing a new video format -- ProRes RAW -- and improved closed captioning support.

ProRes RAW is said to offer the quality and workflow advantages of RAW coupled with the performance of Apple's ProRes. Under the combined format, editors can import, edit and grade footage with RAW data from the camera sensor, making it ideal for HDR workflows.

Editors can also play full-quality 4K ProRes RAW files on 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro or 2017 iMac systems in real time, without rendering. ProRes RAW files are even smaller than ProRes 4444 files, enabling better use of storage while providing an archival format.

Final Cut editors can work natively with ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ files created by Atomos recorders. The format will be available as a free update for owners of Atomos Sumo 19 and Shogun Inferno devices.

The format will likewise be available as part of a forthcoming upgrade package to users of the DJI Inspire 2 drone and Zenmuse X7 Super 35mm camera system designed for aerial cinematography.

Closed captioning

Users can import closed captioning files directly into a project, or build them from scratch. Captions appear in the viewer during playback and can be attached to video or audio clips in the timeline.

A new captions inspector makes it simple to adjust caption text, color, alignment, and location. Captions can be created in multiple languages within the same timeline, and users can easily share captioned videos to YouTube and Vimeo.

The 10.4 update to Final Cut Pro X was made available on Dec. 14, with new features including editing full-resolution 8K video, and the extension of 360-degree VR video support to Motion and Compressor. The latest version of Final Cut Pro X requires macOS 10.12.4.

Final Cut Pro 10.4.1 is free for existing users, and $299.99 for new users on the Mac App Store. Motion 5.4.1 and Compressor 4.4.1 are also available today as free updates or $49.99 each.

Apple's educational bundle containing Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor is $199.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    "The latest version of Final Cut Pro X requires macOS 10.12.4."

Actually, the latest version requires 10.13.2 according to the Mac App Store; Final Cut Pro 10.4.1 shows as "incompatible" on my Sierra 10.12.6 machine. I'm waiting for High Sierra not to suck before I update on my main rig.
    edited April 2018 h2pSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple update FCPro for free, meanwhile Adobe close down Muse.  Just saying ...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Actually, the latest version requires 10.13.2 according to the Mac App Store; Final Cut Pro 10.4.1 shows as "incompatible" on my Sierra 10.12.6 machine. I'm waiting for High Sierra not to suck before I update on my main rig.
    Good spot. Updated the article.

High Sierra hasn't "sucked" for at least two point updates. What are you waiting for, specifically?
  • Reply 4 of 5

Good spot. Updated the article.

High Sierra hasn't "sucked" for at least two point updates. What are you waiting for, specifically?
    Thanks Mike!

I have High Sierra loaded and updated on my MacBook Pro (but not my Mac Pro) and experience plenty of anomalies on an almost daily basis, such as screen flickers, longer load times, APFS drives that do not eject and eventually require a "hard" shut down of the whole system, GUI issues when resizing windows and dragging files and icons, Wi-Fi drop-outs, and random other things. I'm consistent with the way I use my machines, and where. Combined with the timing of when I updated that machine to High Sierra, that is what leads me to believe the software is at fault. If I boot to Sierra loaded on an external drive, it functions as it always did. Agreed, it has gotten better with updates, but to me it is not solid enough to risk loading it on my main, work-dependent machine. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 5
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    MacPro said:
    Apple update FCPro for free, meanwhile Adobe close down Muse.  Just saying ...
    Muse is a website builder, FCPX is a video editor. What ARE you saying?