Missouri school touts success with iPad Pro curriculum, saves nearly $600K annually on har...

Posted:
in iPad
Maryville University on Monday detailed its ongoing iPad Pro curriculum, a unique program that provides each incoming student a new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, saying Apple's educational hardware and software suites not only add value to classroom activities, but help save money.




In a joint statement with Apple device management firm Jamf, Maryville estimates Apple's education discount and in-classroom software saves the school up to $590,000 on computing hardware per year compared to desktop solutions. Additionally, the St. Louis, Mo., university saves at least $50,000 on apps per semester.

Doling out a new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil to every incoming full-time student, Maryville now administers some 3,600 iPads, 350 Macs and 110 iPhones with Jamf Pro, a third-party mobile device management solution marketed by Jamf. The MDM software is used to synchronize data from Maryville's internal learning management system with Apple School Manager, information that subsequently makes its way into classrooms.

Maryville University President, Mark Lombardi, points out iPad Pro lets students access content in a way that suits their personal learning style.

"And really, that's been the great tragedy of education, not just higher ed, but K-12 historically," Lombardi said. "So many people fall through the cracks. Not because they're dumb. Not because they're lazy. Not because of any of those things. Because the way they're being taught doesn't fit their learning style."

Alongside Jamf's toolset, Maryville relies on Apple Classroom to remotely monitor, manage and interact with student iPads in the classroom.

Apple last month highlighted a slew of new education-centric technology at a special event in Chicago, including a low-cost 9.7-inch iPad with Apple Pencil support and new software like the Schoolwork app and ClassKit API. The company also announced a macOS version of Classroom would debut in June.

The update comes on the heels of news that iOS 11.3 causes issues with Jamf Pro 10.3, with users reporting a "failed loop" cycle on devices running the Jamf software.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    pscooter63anton zuykovbshankmacxpresstmayjbdragonmagman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 35
    The only problem is that one school out of a hundred are going to choose the iPad Pro for their curriculum. I'm guessing most schools are focused on the initial cost only. I could be wrong and maybe it's because the iPad doesn't come with a physical keyboard. Maybe it's a combination of factors but Apple is still going to lose based on price matching. I can only hope Apple will be able to convince foreign schools that the iPad is the better choice to inspire students. I can understand that Chromebooks are probably good enough for students, so I'm not going to say schools are making a big mistake by choosing Chromebooks. Apple will never be the popular choice in any price sensitive market.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 1,968member
    Apple can create IOS chromebook and offer with typical iPad to education segment. Same Apps run on both.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 4 of 35
    FranculesFrancules Posts: 110member
    Very nice! 💪🙂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    KITAKITA Posts: 187member
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    Why the hate for Chromebooks? They seem to be very successful for K12.

    I think the implementation this school has done with their iPads is interesting, but in university, an actual macOS or Windows laptop would still be required.

    I can't imagine an engineering student at this school using an iPad Pro as their only device. This is one area a 2-in-1 computer, such as Microsoft's Surface, would be very well suited for (take notes in OneNote, type on a real keyboard in Word, open up a model in SolidWorks, etc.).
  • Reply 6 of 35
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    It sounds like Apple needs to purchase jamf... and rename it something I can remember.

    Chromebooks currently get the love because of superior MDM.

    If Apple’s current solution (under development) doesn’t work out, time to get out the check book.
    chasmmuthuk_vanalingamstanthemanjony0
  • Reply 7 of 35
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    It sounds like Apple needs to purchase jamf... and rename it something I can remember.

    I've heard Jamf mentioned so many times that I'll never, ever forget it.
    magman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 35
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Happy fingering, but please stop thinking that an iPad can replace a Mac in higher education.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 1,593member
    KITA said:
    I can't imagine an engineering student at this school using an iPad Pro as their only device. This is one area a 2-in-1 computer, such as Microsoft's Surface, would be very well suited for (take notes in OneNote, type on a real keyboard in Word, open up a model in SolidWorks, etc.).
    I was in a coffeeshop yesterday where I literally met some university engineering students (3) doing their homework on Surface Pros (2) and a 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1). The fellow with the iPad Pro was doing the same work the Surface people were doing, apparently equally well. The funny thing (and I meant to ask them about it but I was on the way out when I said hello to them) was why all three of them ALSO had a scientific calculator next to them ... like those computers aren't also scientific calculators ...
    watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 10 of 35
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,039member
    I'm guessing most schools are focused on the initial cost only.
    A very small number of americans can do maths. And out of that number, even a smaller number works as school "managers". In fact, quite often they are in personal debt up to their ears, so it is no wonder they apply the same principle to managing a school.
    magman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,631member
    KITA said:
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    Why the hate for Chromebooks? They seem to be very successful for K12.

    I think the implementation this school has done with their iPads is interesting, but in university, an actual macOS or Windows laptop would still be required.

    I can't imagine an engineering student at this school using an iPad Pro as their only device. This is one area a 2-in-1 computer, such as Microsoft's Surface, would be very well suited for (take notes in OneNote, type on a real keyboard in Word, open up a model in SolidWorks, etc.).

    Even if this were the case (and I’m not sure it is), the real problem is that you seem to think that universities only run engineering courses. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,896member
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    It sounds like Apple needs to purchase jamf... and rename it something I can remember.

    Chromebooks currently get the love because of superior MDM.

    If Apple’s current solution (under development) doesn’t work out, time to get out the check book.
    If you do a search for Apple MDM its the first result. Crapbooks get love because they're cheap and thats the only reason they get love. If the Crapbook was $499 people would think sucked. Apple doesn't need to buy Jamf. Jamf is incredibly successful as it is. Its just that people don't want to do this thing called "research" before making purchases. They just want to play follow everyone else. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,742member
    macxpress said:
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    It sounds like Apple needs to purchase jamf... and rename it something I can remember.

    Chromebooks currently get the love because of superior MDM.

    If Apple’s current solution (under development) doesn’t work out, time to get out the check book.
    If you do a search for Apple MDM its the first result. Crapbooks get love because they're cheap and thats the only reason they get love. If the Crapbook was $499 people would think sucked. Apple doesn't need to buy Jamf. Jamf is incredibly successful as it is. Its just that people don't want to do this thing called "research" before making purchases. They just want to play follow everyone else. 
    https://teach.com/blog/the-classroom-tech-choice-chromebooks-or-ipads/
     and the secondary link explaining why: https://chromebook.net/classroom-ipads-to-chromebooks.htm
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 35
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,020member
    This entire article is based on a press release by Jamf. just putting that out there. 

    The savings can’t be accurately quantified. 


    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 35
    KITA said:
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    Why the hate for Chromebooks? They seem to be very successful for K12.

    I think the implementation this school has done with their iPads is interesting, but in university, an actual macOS or Windows laptop would still be required.

    I can't imagine an engineering student at this school using an iPad Pro as their only device. This is one area a 2-in-1 computer, such as Microsoft's Surface, would be very well suited for (take notes in OneNote, type on a real keyboard in Word, open up a model in SolidWorks, etc.).
    Because they are crap 💩 just like the netbooks they replaced. There are hundreds of better accessory keyboards available for and IPad than  a Surface. There is a reason these devices with all the ads and heavy placement do not sell on any real scale after 6 years of trying. For instance Microsoft is estimated to have sold a whopping 1.5 million it’s first year, topping out at 6 million 2 years ago. For a little perspective, the original IPad sold its first million in 28 days, bettering the original IPhone’s 74 days. So, basically Microsoft may finally pass the 20 million mark in 6 years of estimated cumulative sales that the IPad achieved in its first year on the market. While Apple was already at 360 million reported sakes in March of last year. It is just not selling because it is a niche product. 

    macxpressLukeCagemagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,896member
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    It sounds like Apple needs to purchase jamf... and rename it something I can remember.

    Chromebooks currently get the love because of superior MDM.

    If Apple’s current solution (under development) doesn’t work out, time to get out the check book.
    If you do a search for Apple MDM its the first result. Crapbooks get love because they're cheap and thats the only reason they get love. If the Crapbook was $499 people would think sucked. Apple doesn't need to buy Jamf. Jamf is incredibly successful as it is. Its just that people don't want to do this thing called "research" before making purchases. They just want to play follow everyone else. 
    https://teach.com/blog/the-classroom-tech-choice-chromebooks-or-ipads/
     and the secondary link explaining why: https://chromebook.net/classroom-ipads-to-chromebooks.htm
    So districts decided to become beancounters and give the students shitty Crapbooks and staff figured out how to make them work, but can't be as creative as they once were. Thanks for the waste of time articles that prove nothing. You can't ever prove to me that Crapbooks are better than iPads for education (or in general) so you might give it up. 

    Apple is never going to come out with some magical device/computer that is $199 to race to the bottom. They never have and never will and they never needed to in the past. This "fad" will blow over eventually and schools will be out twice the money when they need to replace these shitbooks. 
    edited April 2018 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,742member
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    foggyhill said:
    But, but, but, but... I love crap, I love chromebooks,
    I love saving $50 bucks up front and paying $200 dollars off the back and getting less,
    were will we be without the craptastic in our lives.

    (yes, this is sarcasm).
    It sounds like Apple needs to purchase jamf... and rename it something I can remember.

    Chromebooks currently get the love because of superior MDM.

    If Apple’s current solution (under development) doesn’t work out, time to get out the check book.
    If you do a search for Apple MDM its the first result. Crapbooks get love because they're cheap and thats the only reason they get love. If the Crapbook was $499 people would think sucked. Apple doesn't need to buy Jamf. Jamf is incredibly successful as it is. Its just that people don't want to do this thing called "research" before making purchases. They just want to play follow everyone else. 
    https://teach.com/blog/the-classroom-tech-choice-chromebooks-or-ipads/
     and the secondary link explaining why: https://chromebook.net/classroom-ipads-to-chromebooks.htm
    So districts decided to become beancounters and give the students shitty Crapbooks and staff figured out how to make them work, but can't be as creative as they once were. Thanks for the waste of time articles that prove nothing. You can't ever prove to me that Crapbooks are better than iPads for education (or in general) so you might give it up. 

    Apple is never going to come out with some magical device/computer that is $199 to race to the bottom. They never have and never will and they never needed to in the past. This "fad" will blow over eventually and schools will be out twice the money when they need to replace these shitbooks. 
    I'm not trying to convince you that Chromebooks are "better". In some cases they are according to the educators who actually use them in their classrooms. Sometimes they're not, and apparently the grade level has some significance in the choice. Neither iPads nor Chromebooks nor Surface's are decidedly "better" for all use cases. Heck, there may be no need for them at all much of the times. Heck you and I and millions like us somehow ended up with a quality education despite the lack of a computing device at all beyond a pocket calculator if anything. If education has lost its way in recent years (I'm not claiming it has) it's for reasons an iPad/Chromebook isn't going to fix. 

    So the only thing I was attempting to do is show you there's reasons beyond money for some educators to choose Chromebooks over iPads.
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 35
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 612member
    I was in a coffeeshop yesterday where I literally met some university engineering students (3) doing their homework on Surface Pros (2) and a 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1). The fellow with the iPad Pro was doing the same work the Surface people were doing, apparently equally well. The funny thing (and I meant to ask them about it but I was on the way out when I said hello to them) was why all three of them ALSO had a scientific calculator next to them ... like those computers aren't also scientific calculators ...

    Alas, there are many curricula built on pressing a recipe of keys on a TI.  Desmos is wonderful, but not "TI" per se...
  • Reply 19 of 35
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 612member
    iPads + Logitech keyboard cases in our educational setting are failing at 3% over 3 years.  Chromebooks at half the price are failing at 10% over 1 year.  At home it's always been one $1K MacOS laptop every 5 years, vs three $300 Win laptops over the same span.  The cost to own over the longer term is not as wide a gap as initial purchase price would indicate.  And yes, Apple needs to buy JAMF, like three years ago.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,742member
    jpellino said:
    iPads + Logitech keyboard cases in our educational setting are failing at 3% over 3 years.  Chromebooks at half the price are failing at 10% over 1 year.  At home it's always been one $1K MacOS laptop every 5 years, vs three $300 Win laptops over the same span.  The cost to own over the longer term is not as wide a gap as initial purchase price would indicate.  And yes, Apple needs to buy JAMF, like three years ago.  
    Add in a $30 Chromebook replacement policy if the school-purchased device didn't come with an extended warranty which covers even water damage or accidental drops/screen cracks. Many of them do come with extra coverage. Kids are rough on stuff.
    edited April 2018
Sign In or Register to comment.