Our biggest gripes with Apple's 2018 iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    If I want to read anti-Apple propaganda I'll read the Verge. 
    Alex1Nracerhomie3BluntGeorgeBMacbrucemclkruppStrangeDayschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 76
    Each of the complaints brought up could easily be addressed. Just take the 2018 entry level (budget) iPad and give it the display of the iPad Pro, TouchID 2 like the iPad Pro, and the front camera of the iPad Pro. 

The problem with doing that is you’d have an entry level iPad that would barely be different from the iPad  Pro—and it would cost $599 instead of $329.
    Alex1NchasmGeorgeBMacchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 76
    dewme said:
    In some ways Apple may have benefited more if it had packaged the 2018 iPad in a polycarbonate case (or some variation thereof) and sold it for slightly lower price, say $299.
    Given that this device is designed to be used in schools I think a polycarbonate case would be a tragic mistake-- especially since it will require more cost to design and produce than the rehash of the previous case that is currently used.  I would wager that a polycarbonate case might be too flimsy and bendable for a tablet-sized device, which means a need for internal stiffeners that will ALSO consume development time.  Since the aluminum case is already designed and in mass production, it probably is the cheaper alternative and more appropriate for the environment the devices will be used in.

This device is designed for use in the classroom, and all of its compromises are actually benefits for the classroom environment.

1) non-laminated screen-- much cheaper to replace
    2) low-res selfie camera-- probably not going too much use in a student environment, so a low-res camera that saves money is a feature.
    3) slow touch id sensor-- again, probably not going to be used in a student environment given its inability to be used with more than one user.
    4) no anti-glare screen-- anti-glare screens tend to be more fragile than glossy screens-- and 90% of the usage of these devices will be indoors.

edited April 2018 Alex1NchasmGeorgeBMacchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    >snip<

...But then, normal people (and schools) can afford it where most cannot afford an iPad Pro.

>snip<

I agree thoroughly with George: I cannot afford a Pro, especially if I wanted a pencil. And a lot of the review's minuses seemed to be 'First World' complaints, at least at first reading, especially regarding the FaceTime camera. If your internet speed is slower than that of an average Third World country (as it is in our spot in Australia at least), then a camera with HD or higher doesn't work (my wife had to switch to audio only for a work meeting, on a MacBook using Skype, the other day because of the (merely 720p) video lag).
    edited April 2018 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 76
    jozsefhorjozsefhor Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    wizard69 said:
    Apparently Apple Insider doesn't grasp the concept of low cost.
    Yeah. This is a good nominee for Most Asinine AI Post of the Year.
    StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 26 of 76
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    wizard69 said:

Yes, there is a reason that Apple positioned the new iPad as targeting the education market... because it's good enough for that market while still making plenty of money until next year's model comes out.

But one must wonder.... is Apple disappointed in itself for not being able to keep their hardware fully leading-edge with each release? Or are they just after the dollars after all?
  • Reply 27 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wizard69 said:
    Did you even read the article?
    spheric
  • Reply 28 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't understand why anyone is upset by an article that details why this education-focused iPad is able to be considerably less expensive than their other models. I appreciate the research into how this seemingly identical looking iPad is able to undercut their other models so drastically despite including a digitizer. For those that are butt hurt by this article you really should try to look things objectively. Prior to this article I thought that the 2018 model would be a great replacement for many people that I know with iPads, but now I see that there are limitations that will likely lead me to suggest Apple's more expensive options to get that improved user experience.

But one must wonder.... is Apple disappointed in itself for not being able to keep their hardware fully leading-edge with each release? Or are they just after the dollars after all?
    1) That's like saying Apple is disappointed with MacBook and Mac mini updates because they're not using all the same leading-edge technology as the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro.

2) Of course they're after a profit.
    edited April 2018 bestkeptsecretAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 76
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I mean I also hate the air gap.
    But I also understand, it is $320 less than the 10.5 Pro
    SolichasmGeorgeBMac1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 76
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I could easily live with these trade-offs, except for the non-laminated display. I know this has durability benefits, but it makes the whole thing so much thicker and heavier, which would be fine If I hadn't been using an Air 2 daily for the last few years.

1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 76
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    dunks said:
    I could easily live with these trade-offs, except for the non-laminated display. I know this has durability benefits, but it makes the whole thing so much thicker and heavier, which would be fine If I hadn't been using an Air 2 daily for the last few years.

While I am perfectly happy with my 2017 iPad (which apparently, is now "old" and has "pretty serious" issues ...), I freely admit that the Air 2 was the pinnacle form factor for this device. Luckily, the portfolio case and bookbag I bought for the Air 2 fits the 2017 iPad even though it is a bit thicker, and since I'm only occasionally holding it aloft with my arm, the weight difference doesn't seem to be much an issue for me and so in truth the only thing I really notice in daily use is the improved speed. The Air 2 is a win on form factor though, and if someone reading this has one already I'd say there's no real compelling reason to upgrade to the 2018 iPad <b>unless</b> you need that sweet, sweet Pencil compatibility.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 76
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Off topic: on older iPads the fullscreen option in embeded YouTube videos does not work anymore. So annoying. Why Google!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Soli said:
    I don't understand why anyone is upset by an article that details why this education-focused iPad is able to be considerably less expensive than their other models. I appreciate the research into how this seemingly identical looking iPad is able to undercut their other models so drastically despite including a digitizer. For those that are butt hurt by this article you really should try to look things objectively. Prior to this article I thought that the 2018 model would be a great replacement for many people that I know with iPads, but now I see that there are limitations that will likely lead me to suggest Apple's more expensive options to get that improved user experience.

1) That's like saying Apple is disappointed with MacBook and Mac mini updates because they're not using all the same leading-edge technology as the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro.

Makes sense. Thanks for putting things in perspective.
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 34 of 76
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    No real trade-offs for me. I think it's a good deal and i do not need the pro options.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 76
    dewme said:
    In some ways Apple may have benefited more if it had packaged the 2018 iPad in a polycarbonate case (or some variation thereof) and sold it for slightly lower price, say $299.
    Given that this device is designed to be used in schools I think a polycarbonate case would be a tragic mistake-- especially since it will require more cost to design and produce than the rehash of the previous case that is currently used.  I would wager that a polycarbonate case might be too flimsy and bendable for a tablet-sized device, which means a need for internal stiffeners that will ALSO consume development time.  Since the aluminum case is already designed and in mass production, it probably is the cheaper alternative and more appropriate for the environment the devices will be used in.

This device is designed for use in the classroom, and all of its compromises are actually benefits for the classroom environment.

1) non-laminated screen-- much cheaper to replace
    2) low-res selfie camera-- probably not going too much use in a student environment, so a low-res camera that saves money is a feature.
    3) slow touch id sensor-- again, probably not going to be used in a student environment given its inability to be used with more than one user.
    4) no anti-glare screen-- anti-glare screens tend to be more fragile than glossy screens-- and 90% of the usage of these devices will be indoors.

Just because Apple launched this iPad 2018 in a educational event DOES NOT mean that ONLY education institutions will be buying this tablet. This is a mass market tablet. Period. And the limitations of this tablet are NOT deal-breakers for anyone (people like me) who intends to buy this one. Reality is this - the other tablets available in this price range are much more compromised, making this tablet the BEST value for money in this price range.

I have a feeling this AI article is NOT aimed at the potential buyers of this tablet (to tell them how much it sucks), rather to tell the iPad Pro owners how good their tablet is.

watto_cobraAlex1Nspheric
  • Reply 36 of 76
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:

Many have explained why VERY clearly.
    My own explanation was:
    Denigrating a Toyota Camry because it doesn't have the same features as a Lexus ES is, frankly, ridiculous.  If he had posed the title and the tone of the video as to why one might prefer a Lexus to a Toyota, it would have been fine.  But instead he chose to trash a very fine product.

Further, in today's world, things get twisted to serve a purpose.  I won't be surprised if I see an article or video coming out "Apple Insider trashes new iPad -- thinks its junk".

If I wasn't more knowledgeable of Apple products and I read this review from a supposed Apple loyalist, I would think was junk too.  But, having bought one (for my grandson) and used it, I know that this video is very misleading. 
    muthuk_vanalingambrucemcStrangeDayswatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 37 of 76
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If the 2018 iPad was offered for a little less...299 Dollars it would be considered a steal, despite its compromises. Anyway once the new iPad Pros with their Face ID and other enhancements come out later in the year. Next years basic iPad will likely finally incorporate a lot of the features mentioned in this article, that it currently doesn’t have.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 76
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    This is still the best value tablet on the market. In fact it is £10 cheaper than the iPad 2 I bought just after its release and still use today. My daughter just picked up the 32gb rose gold iPad on her trip to the USA and is very satisfied with it. I intend to get the 128gb with Apple Pencil soon. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraAlex1Nchasm
  • Reply 39 of 76
    This junk iPad needs a nickname
    iPad SE.

I get that it costs half as much as a Pro, and that’s exactly what they were going for, but non laminated display, really? Back when I had my iPad 2 and 4, I absolutely LOVED the feel of the solid glass display. You tapped on it with your fingernail and it sounded solid. When the first Air came out, I bought that one. Big mistake! Just the feel and hollow sound of that display was a huge disappointment. And if you pressed harder, you could actually see the cover glass bend. I hated that thing. I tried out an Air 2 when they came out and was so happy to see they went back to the solid cover glass display, I traded up right then and there. I believe the Mini or Mini 2 had that same hollow screen. It just sounds so cheap. Stick with the laminated screen. 
  • Reply 40 of 76
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    Really odd editorial on AppleInsider. Just below a header for a review proclaiming the new iPad an absolute steal, there is this article suggesting it's not worth the tradeoffs in 2018. It can't really be both. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacwatto_cobraAlex1Nchasm