IRS digital tax filing systems mostly down as midnight deadline approaches [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Wow, just wow. I mean New Zealand's IRD system was taken down for a few days but that was to upgrade the system to implement machine learning to try and track down tax cheats who do cashies in order to not pay tax. Hell, this year sees the first year where we don't even have to fill in a tax return. If we owe they let us know what we need to pay back if they owe us then they automatically put money into our accounts.

There's something wrong when the most powerful financial system in the world is worse than a financial system of a country of farmers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Overloaded servers or (international) sabotage? Sounds like the part that is not functioning is to make a PAYMENT to the IRS. Each day that is delayed hurts the Fed financially.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Hell, this year sees the first year where we don't even have to fill in a tax return. If we owe they let us know what we need to pay back if they owe us then they automatically put money into our accounts.
    I heard that this year it was simplified to the following:

Please enter the amount of income you made this year on Line 1.

The amount you owe the government is the total on Line 1.
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Fatman said:
    Overloaded servers or (international) sabotage? Sounds like the part that is not functioning is to make a PAYMENT to the IRS. Each day that is delayed hurts the Fed financially.
    At the time, it was more than that. From what I'm hearing locally, apps and services like TurboTax were basically DDoSing the fed systems.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Wow, just wow. I mean New Zealand's IRD system was taken down for a few days but that was to upgrade the system to implement machine learning to try and track down tax cheats who do cashies in order to not pay tax. Hell, this year sees the first year where we don't even have to fill in a tax return. If we owe they let us know what we need to pay back if they owe us then they automatically put money into our accounts.

There's something wrong when the most powerful financial system in the world is worse than a financial system of a country of farmers.
    UK here, and have had the displeasure of filling in a income tax self-assessment for the past two years, though from what I hear it's a positive walk in the park compared to Tax Day in the USA.  Thankfully, I don't even have to do that any more thanks to robust PAYE and a sensible Revenue service.  The US system seems absolutely bonkers, even when the systems are up.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    glad I did not wait to the last minute this year, had it all done in March.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    DAalseth said:
    This is amusing and all, but it's a serious problem for a lot of people.
    I know. The IRS is unconstitutional and yet it exists, stealing our yearly work for over a century. This is a travesty.
    DAalseth said:
    You always will need an IRS.
    So how’d we get on before we had one, then? I’m certain we’ll be fine.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 28 of 28
    onepotato said:
    Hell, this year sees the first year where we don't even have to fill in a tax return. If we owe they let us know what we need to pay back if they owe us then they automatically put money into our accounts.
    I heard that this year it was simplified to the following:

Please enter the amount of income you made this year on Line 1.

The amount you owe the government is the total on Line 1.
    Nope. They have all that information so there's nothing we need to do unless there's extra circumstances such as extra income or student loans I believe. If you've only got one income then you sit back and watch the money roll in. I put myself a tax bracket above what I need to be so because I got stung one year when I left a company and the holiday payout put me into the next tax bracket but the company of dullards hadn't factored that one in and so I got stung for $1300 tax bill. Now that will never happen.
This discussion has been closed.