Florida police attempt to use dead man's finger to unlock his smartphone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I have no problem with this either legally or ethically. The SCOTUS has ruled that fingerprints are public information. You literally leave them everywhere. Ethically, this is a non issue for me as well. It just does not bother me at all.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Well...did it work? 
    "Not long after the death, police showed up at the funeral home where the body of Phillip was taken, and attempted to use the dead man's finger to unlock the device. The attempts were unsuccessful."
    Got it, thanks.

Isn't that a warrantless search of the funeral home?
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 23 of 35
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Well...did it work? 
    "Not long after the death, police showed up at the funeral home where the body of Phillip was taken, and attempted to use the dead man's finger to unlock the device. The attempts were unsuccessful."
    Got it, thanks.

Isn't that a warrantless search of the funeral home?
    Probably not since the funeral home was not a party to the case and no one insisted on a warrant.  Presumably if the family had the body locked away, the police would have been required to get a warrant to forcibly obtain access.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Remember when Touch ID was first unveiled as an anti-theft measure and people in these forums were hand wringing over the theives “cutting off you finger” to get into your stolen iPhone?

You know what happened?

iPhone thefts dropped. People didn’t fall victim to a mass wave of finger amputation.
    GG1macseekercornchip
  • Reply 25 of 35
    sflocal said:
    eightzero said:
    focher said:
    There no legal question here. The right to privacy has been clearly established as ending at death.

Have a citation for that, randominternetperson said:
    eightzero said:
    focher said:
    There no legal question here. The right to privacy has been clearly established as ending at death.

Have a citation for that, please? TIA.
    Here's a citation for exactly the opposite conclusion, coming from the Florida Supreme Court last year.

https://iapp.org/news/a/florida-court-rules-right-to-privacy-still-intact-after-death/

That court case was a judgement to "extend" the right of privacy for the widow due to a court case that was going on at the time.  It was not a sweeping, all-inclusive right to everyone.  Not the same thing.

There's plenty of write-ups out there that seems to have the general agreement that a deceased individual does not have a right to privacy.
    Right you are.  A little more research brought up that the Florida Constitution (unlike the US Constitution) has a specific privacy clause:

Article I, Section 23 of the Florida Constitution:

Right of privacy. — Every natural person has the right to be let alone and free from governmental intrusion into the person’s private life except as otherwise provided herein. This section shall not be construed to limit the public’s right of access to public records and meetings as provided by law.

In legal parlance, a "natural person" is a living human being. A dead person is not a natural person and therefore is not covered by this amendment (except that the Florida Supreme Court seems to disagree with this).
  • Reply 26 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    adm1 said:
    MacPro said:

buzdots said:
    Back on topic... Cops probably didn't guess that 'ol Linus was left handed.
    Yes back on topic ...  Ah but you can train several fingers ;). I admit I suspected (but could be wrong) Apple have built in the ability to distinguish a finger attached to a live body from basically in this case, an inanimate object.  Else a wax impression would work.
    As it's a capacitive sensor, it wouldn't work with a dead body/finger. Hook the body up to a car battery however and I'm not so sure :p
    Or wait for the lightening to strike the rods on top of the building ...
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 27 of 35
    MacPro said:
    adm1 said:
    MacPro said:

buzdots said:
    Back on topic... Cops probably didn't guess that 'ol Linus was left handed.
    Yes back on topic ...  Ah but you can train several fingers ;). I admit I suspected (but could be wrong) Apple have built in the ability to distinguish a finger attached to a live body from basically in this case, an inanimate object.  Else a wax impression would work.
    As it's a capacitive sensor, it wouldn't work with a dead body/finger. Hook the body up to a car battery however and I'm not so sure :p
    Or wait for the lightening to strike the rods on top of the building ...
    Suddenly have a vision of the iPhone unlocking and a guy in a lab coat screaming "It's Alive!, It's Alive!"
    buzdotsmacseeker
  • Reply 28 of 35
    FranculesFrancules Posts: 122member
    The Florida police in that area is scum. 
  • Reply 29 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not answered in the reporting... did the police also try to use the dead guy’s finger to buy extra gems for the Candy Crush app on the phone?
    randominternetpersonbuzdotscornchip
  • Reply 30 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I have no idea what Florida (or the U.S. Constitution) says about the right to privacy or search and seizure for a deceased person. Logically, I would assume that privacy rights end at death, but the law is seldom logical. If there were a true reason to search the phone, I would think getting a search warrant would be a fairly trivial exercise. While people may find it bothersome (certainly the family,) far more intrusive procedures like autopsies can be compelled after death, so this is really not an issue, IMO.

As far as the technical aspects go, capacitive sensing does not require a live body - look at the videos of the SawStop saw with a hotdog, or at the conductive rubber stylus  you can buy. The issue with a corpse becomes whether the finger retained its original geometry after death and/or embalming, and, as posted above, the fact that iOS has an expiration time on the fingerprint after which you need to enter the passcode. 

Guess they'll have to plunk down $15k for GreyKey.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    eightzero said:
    Corpses are, by law, property of the government. This is true in every Western nation, and most of the rest of the world that actually has a government. Your family has no rights to you (except to your likeness, apparently; thanks Hollywood).
  • Reply 32 of 35
    eightzero said:
    Corpses are, by law, property of the government. This is true in every Western nation, and most of the rest of the world that actually has a government. Your family has no rights to you (except to your likeness, apparently; thanks Hollywood).
    Really? Then why don't THEY pay for the funeral? 
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 33 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DAalseth said:
    eightzero said:
    I think it's in the Declaration of Independence under Habeas Corpses which is why corpses have to be detained to a coffin, casket, or urn¡

edited April 2018
  • Reply 34 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    DAalseth said:
    Does the slaughterhouse pay to bury its leftovers? You live to serve them. What do you think the estate tax is? One last pitchfork into the pile of shit that they consider your life to be, sifting for anything of value to them you may have “accidentally” swallowed while you were alive. :p

Tongue-stick-out emoticon chosen because there isn’t one which accurately describes how livid debt slavery makes me.
    edited April 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 35 of 35
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    DAalseth said:
    eightzero said:
    Well in the case of no next of kin, the state/local government takes care of a corpse. Usually in the form of a no frills burial in the closest potter's field. But the government does not own a corpse, the family does: from surviving spouse, to any children, then relatives in an order that may vary by state. But even then there is no absolute right to a corpse, that's why governments (state and local) can compel an autopsy and may restrict certain burials or post-mortem treatment (burying Gran'Ma in the front yard, freezing dad's head until a scientific solution to reanimate him in another body is available, etc)