Apple looking to simplify iPhone branding for 2018 releases, analyst predicts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Just do like the car business and others, use the calendar year appended to the product range and be done with it, either 2 or 4 digits, such as iPhone 19           ( or iPhone 2019 )
    iPhone Plus 19
    iPhone Pro 19.
    No need to remember when it came out and simple arithmetic to know how old it is.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    iPhone. iPhone. Just call it fucking iPhone. We would know it as iPhone (2018) or iPhone (2009). Comes in sizes and colors. JUST LIKE ALL THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS. Am I finally going to be vindicated this year?
    Solimattinoz
  • Reply 43 of 46
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    All 2018 models will just be marketed as 'the new iPhone'. That ought to simplify things significantly.  :D
  • Reply 44 of 46
    asdasd said:

MotionMan said:
    Not giving models a unique name makes no sense.  Literally everyone has to refer to the products in some way that differentiates one model from the other.  If Apple does not name the models, they receive unofficial names (which, BTW, kinda become the official names and, in my experience, are even used without hesitation by employees at Apple Stores).

"The third-generation iPad (marketed as The new iPad, colloquially referred to as the iPad 3)" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_(3rd_generation))

"iPad 6 Teardown" (https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+6+Teardown/105416)

Whatever artistic reason Apple may have for not wanting to name the models needs to take a backseat to the reality of models needing names.

MotionMan
    As someone above said that doesnt work like that for the Mac. Who can count Mac releases?

The Mac is referenced by year. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro.
    But even Apple had to give in to people who wanted to be able to identify their Mac model.  With each further release of OSX/MacOS, the 'About this Mac" became more and more detailed.  Now you can see that, in addition to being a MacBook, it is the 'Early 2012' or 'Late 2015.'  And when you ask people who know about computers, they don't just say 'I have a MacBook,' they say 'I have an Early 2011 MacBook Pro.' Thus, in effect, every Mac has a name that tech journalist and techies (and some not-so-techies) end up using out of necessity.

The same is true for iPhones (Maybe iOS should give the real name of the iPhone in General/About instead of the unhelpful model numbers like MG4W2LL/A!!!)

Also, people replace their iPhones every year or two but not their Macs.  iPhones need to be identified better.

And, finally, just because they do it with the Macs does not make it right.

MotionMan
  • Reply 45 of 46
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    iPhone. iPhone. Just call it fucking iPhone. We would know it as iPhone (2018) or iPhone (2009). Comes in sizes and colors. JUST LIKE ALL THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS. Am I finally going to be vindicated this year?
    I think it will still be more complicated than that but would be nice and most people I know know by years anyway.

I think best we can hope for is iPhone, iPhoneX(orPro) and iPhone something like SE could be just S standing for streamlined version of previous top end phones.
    Still then it gets complicated but it would be nice if each came in a standard and plus size. Oh and storage size options.

Yes streamlining would be good and so would more colours.
    I've always thought Apple would leverage more of the fashion aspect of the phone and change the colourways options on a regular basis. If they did streamline they could have the standard 3 colours then a unique seasonally colour for each model.