Editorial: Will Apple's 1990's "Golden Age" collapse repeat itself?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    The biggest 'Apple Killer' could be free speech. I've been the worlds biggest Apple fan since the early 1990's, but if they dictate what apps or content I can view to any greater extent to what they are already doing, I'll jump ship to whatever free speech alternative arrises (which sure as hell won't be anything to do with Google, they are even worse)
    Privacy should matter, but the simple fact is, most people could care less about the privacy they relinquish when they go online or use social networking apps.  

Free speech isn’t really what you’re taking about.  That has very specific meaning, between a government and its citizens.  You’re speaking about censorship, which Apple certainly does practice.  But like privacy, most people just live their lives and take advantage of all the many conveniences that technology provides, not taking time out to take a stand about such things, or about the practice of boiling dogs alive in China, or any other of a myriad array of horrors both major and minor.  

Point is, you aren’t the market.  Folks who think deeply about such issues are vastly outnumbered by people who seem to have an innate sense that there’s 60 years in a lifespan (developing world) or maybe 80
    years (developed world) and fewer when you consider the number where you’re adult but not senescent; active years to build and enjoy the time given.  Apple’s fall will not come from a few people boycotting due to their censorship practices, much of which can be defended on one or another grounds anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 108
    tzeshan said:
    The biggest blunder Cook made regarding iPhone X is the price. He cannot see that iPhone is beleaguered. The estimated cost of iPhone X parts is $370. He is so obsessed with profit margin that iPhone X price is set to $999. Even at $799, the profit margin is 46%. Apple is giving many buyers an impression of greedy. If you want to sell a product to mass of people, the first thing you should not do is greedy. 

Unless Apple has a breakthrough mass product, its future is really not very bright. Cook has wasted the goodwill Jobs created for Apple. 
    This is false. The profit margin for iPhone X is actually much lower than historical profits because it is so expensive to develope and build. The cost number you cite is total BS.

Apple today is far larger and more successful than when Jobs was alive. Part of that success is directly following Jobs vision. Part comes from trying new things that Jobs would have opposed.

But to suggest that the most successful company in the world is in dire trouble because it hasn’t reinvented the PC over and over again (and has “only” created and launched personal mobility in Apple Watch, AirPods) is really myopic and ignorant. 
    tmayradarthekatbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 108
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    saltyzip said:
    mwhite said:
    saltyzip said:
    Why do apple peeps keep thinking android manufacturers are copying the notch? 

To get a phone with next to zero bezel you have to have a notch, unless you have a pop up camera, so it's a natural progression manufacturers will follow. The essential phone was the first with a notch that I remember and that released in August 17 before the iPhone X.

Also what are the iPhone X sales numbers, all I hear is it is certainly not selling as well as they had anticipated, but as the profit margin on the phone is absolutely ridiculous, apple are still making stupid profit.

If people think the phone is good value for money then fine, but I believe smartphones have become commodity devices and for the majority of the people living on the planet they would be more than happy with a device in the midrange bracket. So apples problem is how do they keep those ridiculous iPhone profits coming in, and the answer is they won't be able to for much longer.
    Why do Android jerks come on here go to you're own site stay away from here ahole......
    Some has to educate you.

There has NEVER been an Android user on AI that knew more about Android than I or numerous other members here do.... <egregious parts clipped out>
     We all have things to learn. No one should be dismissed out of hand. 
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 104 of 108
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Tone it down.

There is no need to go on personal attacks, and this is no place for a political manifesto.
    radarthekatgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 108
    I love Apple to the point I want to go to college and learn programming & technology so I can hopefully work at Apple. That does not mean I like everything they are doing. This is my humble opinion only so don’t think I know best. First off I had a iPhone X, really like it but could not ignore the notch. It was intrusive to to me & felt like a lazy design flaw. So I returned it & got a iPhone 8 Plus. I love it even the physically it looked & felt like my iPhone 6 Plus, but that works for me. Second I feel that Apple lost site of the Mac side. Not the MacOS which is solid with always room for improvement, but way better then Windows 10. Only Windows I ever liked was Windows XP & maybe Windows 7, but then again I would take MacOS any day. Back to the Mac Hardware, I know that there computer side probably only makes up very small percentage of their revenues, but it would still be nice if they create a new classification with their hardware. You have the Mac Pro which should be upgradable & universal without having to by expensive Apple only graphic cards, ram, memory so on so forth. Then the iMac Pro, could be a great device even though it is expensive as heck. Problems I have with it is I don’t understand why for this kind of cost that they could not make it from the beginning with a opening in the back to assess the ram & ssd hard drive while still not effecting the cooling of the system. Speak of cooling the iMac Pro has such serious hardware, but Apple throttles the hardware instead of increasing the fan speed all for the sake of quietness. I don’t know about others, but if I am going to spend serious large sum of money for the iMac Pro then I want computing power I can get & could care less about the fan being a bit more noisy. Things like that I don’t understand about Apple. Then there is MacBook line up. People will argue all day long what a Pro should mean for a Apple laptop. My take is that have a MacBook (A Netbook Class) which is fine with the hardware that is in it. Here is when it gets tricky, I feel the 13” MacBook Pro should have all the top of the line specks options of 15” MacBook Pro. Then move the 15” MacBook Pro to be at least at the level of hardware technology of a PC Gaming laptop. Not worrying about the thickness of the design, but within reason or throttling the hardware because of slowing fan speed to keep it quiet or worry about battery having to last 10 hours. Plus many more ideas to long to mention calling it the 15” MacBook Pro X (Extreme). Do away with the stupid Touch Bar by giving us back real function & esc keys. Personally I don’t want a touchscreen on on my MacBook Line Up because we have a iPad for that area. Plus keeping MacOS & iOS separate is why they are successful. Remember Microsoft tried the all in one OS with touchscreen, major flop & still is in touchscreen setup. Anyway this is all my personal opinions & I do not in anyway think it is the right or wrong way for Apple to go. It is just getting harder & harder to see myself cofe up money for 15” MacBook Pro that cost over $4,000.00 when I can get a very powerful Windows Laptop or even a desktop for around the same price. Again I love Apple, but of late their prices don’t equal to what you get in hardware or it does not justify it for me. Which makes me very sad. I hate using Windows, but feel I have to go that route because Apple products are just way to expensive for what I get. 
  • Reply 106 of 108
    Alex KAlex K Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    IL1 was not built by or for Apple; nor were they the first tenant. 
    Do you know what year Apple moved into the Four-Phase complex? Its HQ was only about half the size of today's Infinite Loop.  
    I worked on the opening of IL1 and the building was built for Apple. (by Gensler) The old Motorola/Four Phase building was completely torn down and rebuilt with Apple's Infinite Loop campus. The DeAnza buildings across the street are original Motorola buildings though that haven't changed much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 108
    vmarks said:
    Actually Mac OS Classic had a very good memory management within the limits of its capabilities. It was just not a true operating system.
    Is that like the
    "No True Scotsman" fallacy? It was software that initialized the hardware, handled input from the keyboard, output to a display, read and wrote to storage media, and ran software on top of that software. In every definition, it was a true operating system. It was modern for the time, even if we've since moved past it.
    If you want to go pedantic, all the forum is yours. Of course everyone here knows what CP/M is. We're talking about something booting from a 400K diskette, just a System file and a Finder file along with the ImageWriter driver and a few other files. Yes that was an achievement but an achievement that shaped all the future evolution. When OS/2, Windows NT and others opened the path to modern PC operating systems it would have no chance of survival. Even Amiga's Tramiel OS was ahead of Mac OS with its true multitasking.
    Apparently I am the less then 1% because I don’t know what CP/M is. LOL!!!
    watto_cobra