Apple Watch heart rate monitor saves Florida teen's life

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    When the Apple Watch gets a little more medically aware and stories like this one spread Apple won't be able to make enough of them. They will be flying off the shelves. So much for the negative blathering here about how the Watch doesn't do anything more than the iPhone and is therefore useless and redundant and won't sell and is a fail for Apple. Millions will be wearing them. Oh wait, they already are!
    You think so? There were monitors like that 10-15 years ago for half price. In fact I bought one and sent overseas for family member with terminal ilness. Nothing new. Yes they will be sold because of hype - not because of some special features that are new on the market.
    Can these monitors that were cheaper to detect multiple things, other than just heart issues? Or, do I have to purchase a monitor for this and a monitor for that? If so, how is it cheaper then? There are folks in this world unfortunately that have multiple issues. 

Also, can this monitor make you get out an exercise (close your rings)? Can it do things like ApplePay? Email? iMessage? Apple Music? I don't think you're seeing the big picture. 
    Nah he won’t see it, he’s just a troll. 
    axcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

wozwoz said:
    Nice save. Pity about the thousands maimed/killed walking across roads whilst texting on their phones
    Pity that has jack shit to do with a discussion on a watch.
    brucemcaxcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    lkrupp said:
    When the Apple Watch gets a little more medically aware and stories like this one spread Apple won't be able to make enough of them. They will be flying off the shelves. So much for the negative blathering here about how the Watch doesn't do anything more than the iPhone and is therefore useless and redundant and won't sell and is a fail for Apple. Millions will be wearing them. Oh wait, they already are!
    You think so? There were monitors like that 10-15 years ago for half price. In fact I bought one and sent overseas for family member with terminal ilness. Nothing new. Yes they will be sold because of hype - not because of some special features that are new on the market. Thise hear rate monitors were not cool at the time - Apple watch is cool and in fashion. That is it. Nothing more.
    LOL there’s always a you in every crowd.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    lkrupp said:
    You think so? There were monitors like that 10-15 years ago for half price. In fact I bought one and sent overseas for family member with terminal ilness. Nothing new. Yes they will be sold because of hype - not because of some special features that are new on the market. Thise hear rate monitors were not cool at the time - Apple watch is cool and in fashion. That is it. Nothing more.
    Jesus what absolute bullshit. How do you come up with it every day? Too bad Apple doesn’t have an ulcer detecting device, you may have one. 

Show us what one of these half-priced HR monitors from 15 years ago looked like, please — I want to see whether it’s size was nearly as small and thus encouraging of use. Also, how many were in use? 
    The absolute stupidity of people like him is depressing at times...
    SoliStrangeDaysaxcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bikertwin said:
    Do you need a device to tell you that your resting heart rate is 190 beats per minute?
    Yes. Can you detect a difference between 130 bpm and 190 bpm? How many of us ignore warning signs? Sometimes you need a kick in the butt to take it serious enough to seek help. 
    edited May 2018 king editor the grateaxcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Blood glucose is the holy grail. I am not sure Apple is even looking at this, or letting others work this one out. Apple has certainly given certain companies special access to the watch in terms of direct communication, but a number of other watches like the Garmins can pretty much do the same thing. I am not even sure 'proper' glucose monitoring is anywhere near on the horizon. Interstitial fluid measurements that everybody uses is inaccurate and always 20 mins or so behind. Creating a non invasive device that can monitor actual blood glucose levels in real time will 'change everything'. There are 29 million people in the US alone have diabetes, and close to triple that have pre-diabetes. A proportion have type 1 (insulin dependent), but the vast majority have type 2, which is closely related to the insane ADA dietary guidelines, increased sedentary life styles, and junk food. An exact and real time monitoring device will not cure anybody of anything, but it will show people what happens when they eat crap day out and day in. 
  • Reply 27 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    paxman said:
    Blood glucose is the holy grail. I am not sure Apple is even looking at this, or letting others work this one out. Apple has certainly given certain companies special access to the watch in terms of direct communication, but a number of other watches like the Garmins can pretty much do the same thing. I am not even sure 'proper' glucose monitoring is anywhere near on the horizon. Interstitial fluid measurements that everybody uses is inaccurate and always 20 mins or so behind. Creating a non invasive device that can monitor actual blood glucose levels in real time will 'change everything'. There are 29 million people in the US alone have diabetes, and close to triple that have pre-diabetes. A proportion have type 1 (insulin dependent), but the vast majority have type 2, which is closely related to the insane ADA dietary guidelines, increased sedentary life styles, and junk food. An exact and real time monitoring device will not cure anybody of anything, but it will show people what happens when they eat crap day out and day in. 
    Haven’t we at least heard rumours that Apple is working on it?

I have to assume they’d love to make this a reality for the reasons you mention.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    I used this on Duck Duck go to find images from 2005.
    ”images of heart rate monitors from 2005”. Some real good looking ones.  Lol
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    Haven’t we at least heard rumours that Apple is working on it?

I have to assume they’d love to make this a reality for the reasons you mention.
    I believe rumor had it they were trying to make it work via a watch band?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    maciekskontakt said:

Well you don't need an Apple Watch to spot a clueless troll.
    jony0StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    napmannapman Posts: 25member
    milleron said:
    The thrust of this article is so exaggerated that I'd go so far as to label it "fake news." It's true that the Watch is capable of alerting people to cardiac arrhythmias, but to say that it "saved the life" of the teenage girl or the first poster who had previously undiagnosed atrial fibrillation is simply preposterous. It's virtually certain that the girl's illness would soon have become clinically obvious and unlikely (but not impossible) that the gentleman with a. fib. would have actually died without the Apple Watch.

I hope that my comments won't be taken to mean that the Watch's heart-monitoring function is flawed or not worthwhile. I don't mean to imply that at all. It's very worthwhile; I wish everyone had one on his or her wrist. It's just that we've been so sensitized to the evils of "fake news," that it feels irresponsible not to call it out when one sees it. Gross exaggeration simply opens up Apple (or whoever is peddling it) to charges of intentionally misleading the public, even when that's not the case. It's unwise and unfair inasmuch as it can create unrealistic expectations.

R.M, MD
    The watch is simply a tool. What you posted can be said about any number of devices. Can you really say a smoke detector saved someone's life? In a house fire it's entirely possible that someone in the family would wake up and get everyone out safely without a smoke detector.
    Solijony0StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    milleron said:
    The thrust of this article is so exaggerated that I'd go so far as to label it "fake news." It's true that the Watch is capable of alerting people to cardiac arrhythmias, but to say that it "saved the life" of the teenage girl or the first poster who had previously undiagnosed atrial fibrillation is simply preposterous. It's virtually certain that the girl's illness would soon have become clinically obvious and unlikely (but not impossible) that the gentleman with a. fib. would have actually died without the Apple Watch.

I hope that my comments won't be taken to mean that the Watch's heart-monitoring function is flawed or not worthwhile. I don't mean to imply that at all. It's very worthwhile; I wish everyone had one on his or her wrist. It's just that we've been so sensitized to the evils of "fake news," that it feels irresponsible not to call it out when one sees it. Gross exaggeration simply opens up Apple (or whoever is peddling it) to charges of intentionally misleading the public, even when that's not the case. It's unwise and unfair inasmuch as it can create unrealistic expectations.

R.M, MD
    This is literally not "fake news." You may not like the headline -- but that doesn't make it so. She and her mother both said that the watch notification saved her life, and that's good enough for us.

This post stays because there's a point to make, but that said, re-read our commenting guidelines.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    milleron said:

R.M, MD
    I seriously believe you’ve missed the point. The girl in the article did not know about the condition. The Apple Watch simply alerted her to something being wrong but did not diagnose the condition. Her mother, being a nurse took action. That action based on the information given was what saved her life. If left to waiting until the condition manifested itself it more than likely would have been too late.

The first poster had a similar situation. Instead of waiting until the condition manifested itself he sought the proper care BEFORE irreversible damage was done.

Now please tell me exactly how this is not life saving? Forewarned is forearmed and the fact that the Apple Watch had information that was not available to the patients beforehand made it possible for them to act quickly.
    Solifastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Not even a shout out to the real hero of the story - the manufacturer of the car that got her to the hospital. Without Ford, Chevy, Toyota? she'd have died walking to the hospital. Oh and the medically trained people at the hospital i guess deserve a mention
    Soliking editor the grate
  • Reply 35 of 46
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    For several years I had been diagnosed with tachycardia. This required several ER visits to bring down episodes of rapid heart rate. 
    - Under doctor’s instructions, 10 years ago, I kept a cuff heart rate monitor near me at all times. 
    It was bulky, and could not be worn continuously. 
    - Later, when smartwatches began their mass popularity, I bought a Pebble which had a HR monitor. But that device quickly broke down and Pebble’s customer service was email only, taking weeks to resolve problems. I returned it. 
    - I researched Fitbit’s offerings and they also had a high rate of customer returns. 

* I bought an Apple Watch. It is reliable, it’s HR monitor is accurate enough to be very close to my experience with ER HR devices. I still use my AW to monitor my HR. 
    - Are there now other wearables as good/reliable/with the same level of customer support as the AW for 1/2 the price? Maybe. Good luck finding them.  

* As for milleron’s claim that it is preposterous for the girl and other patient to die from undiagnosed atrial fibrillation; 
    First let’s establish that atrial fibrillation can lead to death beginning with this article. (While many of the patients studied were elderly, such a condition should lead to concern.)
    “Sudden cardiac death is the most common cause of death in atrial fibrillation patients... The report, published in the current issue of the Journal of the American Heart Association...”
    https://cardiacrhythmnews.com/sudden-cardiac-death-is-the-most-common-cause-of-death-in-atrial-fibrillation-patients-engage-af-timi-48-shows/ 

- This article states that atrial fibrillation can remain undiagnosed;
    Studies suggest that, when screening is performed, undiagnosed atrial fibrillation is present in around 1% of the screened population”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24281348

* So, was the reporting of patients who believe that their Apple Watches saved their lives “fake news” (because these Apple Watches helped lead to the diagnosis of atrial fibrillation?). 

No. Atrial fibrillation can remain undiagnosed and atrial fibrillation can be associated with sudden cardiac death. 

edited May 2018 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Not even a shout out to the real hero of the story - the manufacturer of the car that got her to the hospital. Without Ford, Chevy, Toyota? she'd have died walking to the hospital. Oh and the medically trained people at the hospital i guess deserve a mention
    The story is about the original detection of symptoms which lead to these people getting medical care to get a proper diagnosis. 
    - The car did not detect the symptoms. And there is nothing special about one particular car. No car available? Call an ambulance. 
    - The medical people at the hospital cannot do any good if the patient is not in the hospital because the patient does not realize there is something seriously wrong. 

* The initial detection of the rapid heart rate was done by the Apple Watch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    bb-15 said:
    The story is about the original detection of symptoms which lead to these people getting medical care to get a proper diagnosis. 
    - The car did not detect the symptoms. And there is nothing special about one particular car. No car available? Call an ambulance. 
    - The medical people at the hospital cannot do any good if the patient is not in the hospital because the patient does not realize there is something seriously wrong. 

* The initial detection of the rapid heart rate was done by the Apple Watch. 
    If they'd called an ambulance we'd need to know who manufactured the ambulance I guess to give full credit

• Reply 38 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bikertwin said:
    Do you need a device to tell you that your resting heart rate is 190 beats per minute?
    Her heart must've been beating outta her chest. 
  • Reply 39 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Soli said:

Atheists on other sites are making nasty comments and asking why god didn't step in to save the girl. But maybe he did. Maybe he helped the ambulance navigate traffic to get to her faster. Remember, god works in mysterious Waze.

Who's to say that her buying the Apple Watch wasn't providence? 
  • Reply 40 of 46
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    The girl is 18. It's entirely possible she may have felt odd or not if this were something she experienced in the past without any trauma, and simply ignored it. Here resting HR apparently wasn't 190bpm 24/7. So the Watch alerts her and Mom acts.

The MD mentioned the kidney disease symptoms would have become clinically obvious without the Apple Watch. Uh, duh. So he's saying early detection is— unnecessary? To just wait until there's a major cardiac incident or renal failure, or maybe one kidney, probably? Wow.

I grant that some of these 'saves' could be exaggerations to some degree, but that still falls far short of 'fake news'. I don't know the detailed diagnosis or the degree of disease she suffered. So I don't know 'saved her life' isn't correct or that it is. 

But to not credit the Watch with early detection is just stupid. Saying the the symptoms would have become clinically obvious eventually is unconscionable. Assuming R.M. is even a doctor, I'm glad he's not my doctor, and should probably have his bedside manner adjusted by getting a rectal-stethoscope suppository.

Soliwatto_cobra