iPhone X tops smartphone charts in slumping European smartphone market

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
While smartphone shipments overall dropped 6.3 percent in Europe in first quarter, Apple shipped 10.2 million units to the region representing a 5.4 percent year-over-year decline.

Canalys Q1 2018 Europe smartphone sales chart

Overall smartphone sales dropped 6.3 percent year over year in Europe in the first quarter, according to research firm Canalys, which described it as "the biggest ever drop in a single quarter." Apple was the #2 smartphone vendor in Europe for the quarter, with a 22 percent market share. While the iPhone X dropped 25 percent in shipments from the previous quarter, Canalys called it "the best-shipping smartphone in the region." And Canalys also said that 25 percent of iPhone shipments in the quarter are of models that are over two years old.

Samsung was tops in overall sales with 15.2 million and a 33.1 percent market share, although Samsung shipments plunged 15.4 percent. Huawei was third, followed by Xiaomi and Nokia. Canalys also said that in the last four years, the top three of the iPhone, all Samsung devices and Huawei's phones has gone from 61 percent of the market to 71.4 percent, as Sony, LG and other established brands have trailed off.

"A new era"

Canalys worldwide smartphone chart

"This is a new era for smartphones in Europe," Ben Stanton, Analyst at Canalys, said as part of the release. "The few remaining growth markets are not enough to offset the saturated ones. We are moving from a growth era to a cyclical era. This presents a brand-new challenge to the incumbents, and we expect several smaller brands to leave the market in the coming years."

The shipments were down especially in Western Europe, with double-digit declines in the U.K., France and Germany, although shipments surged by more than 25 percent in Russia.

Apple, according to its earnings last week, sold 52.2 million iPhones in the March quarter. Assuming Canalys is using the same three-month period, that means about one-tenth of the worldwide iPhone market was in Europe.
feudalist

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Apple's larger spread seems to be finding takers at every entry point. 25% went to SE, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s. That's a lot of demand for cheaper options as well as the higher options. The larger spread may be paying off.

Huawei up over 30% and without including P20 series phones or next week's Honor 10 launch. They look good for the current quarter.

More worrying are the sharp drops in three of Apple's major European markets.
    edited May 2018 elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 69
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's larger spread seems to be finding takers at every entry point. 25% went to SE, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s. That's a lot of demand for cheaper options as well as the higher options. The larger spread may be paying off.

Huawei up over 30% and without including P20 series phones or next week's Honor 10 launch. They look good for the current quarter.

Yet the iPhone X was "the best-shipping smartphone in the region". Your concern troll is showing. Going to have another day of pushing FUD to make Huawei look good?
    edited May 2018 radarthekatracerhomie3pscooter63jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    avon b7 said:

You sound like you copied and pasted this from one of those analysts who were predicting Apple’s demise last quarter. Like them do you ever get tired of being wrong? I suppose not.
    radarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 69
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

.Going to have another day of pushing FUD to make Huawei look good?
    Read the report yourself and see how wrong you are.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamelijahg[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I believe why X is apparently so popular is because many iPhone owners are upgrading to it from older iPhone, such as 5, 5s, 6 and 6s. And perhaps a number of Plus owners longed for a large screened iPhone in a smaller form factor. I will be interesting this year to see when all new iPhones are full screen devices and we see a slightly cheaper LCD model and a larger X Plus model how popular iPhone becomes relative to recent years. I suspect this year will be a popular iPhone year, eps. when those devices launch.

I'd also like to see a full screen SE-sized iPhone launch at some point. In addition to a somewhat updated home button style SE.
    h2p[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 69
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Yet the iPhone X was "the best-shipping smartphone in the region". Your concern troll is showing. Going to have another day of pushing FUD to make Huawei look good?
    Oh no, he wasn't 100% overpraising Apple, he must be a troll. Trolling goes both ways, incessant and blind praise of Apple is as much trolling as is constant bashing. By that metric, you're a troll. 

I think iPhones are still too expensive. Everyone I've spoken to about the X says it's way too expensive, and people already think the non-flagships are pretty steep. I have plenty Apple-toting friends, and I am a self-confessed fanboy. But even I can see Apple gear really is getting very expensive. Cook's Apple seems to be all about raising prices, I don't know any product that's gone down in price in Cook's reign. The increasing service revenue should be offsetting the phone prices, not adding to them. Unfortunately this is reminiscent of the early 90's Apple; ballooning SKU numbers, not giving people what they want, software and hardware bugs creeping in whilst prices edge up. Apple's obviously in a much better position now, but even so. I don't want history to repeat itself.
    edited May 2018 perpetual3singularityjbdragon[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 69
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Thinking a decrease of over 15% is a significant drop is hardly trolling.  It's big.

On the other hand, Russia is interesting.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 8 of 69
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Still looking for the doom and gloom aren't we...does it ever stop? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 69
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:

You sound like you copied and pasted this from one of those analysts who were predicting Apple’s demise last quarter. Like them do you ever get tired of being wrong? I suppose not.
    Perhaps you interpret 'decline' differently to me. No new product till the end of the year. IPhone X sales dropping (quite logically) every quarter. That 25% of two year old phones propping up the bottom end but weighing negatively against iPhone X. Take a look at the report.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    elijahg said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Oh no, he wasn't 100% overpraising Apple, he must be a troll. Trolling goes both ways, incessant and blind praise of Apple as equal a troll as constant bashing. By that metric, you're a troll. 

I think iPhones are still too expensive. Everyone I've spoken to about the X says it's way too expensive, and people already think the non-flagships are pretty steep. I have plenty Apple-toting friends, and I am a self-confessed fanboy. But even I can see Apple gear really is getting very expensive. Cook's Apple seems to be all about raising prices, I don't know any product that's gone down in price in Cook's reign. The increasing service revenue should be offsetting the phone prices, not adding to them. Unfortunately this is reminiscent of the early 90's Apple; ballooning SKU numbers, not giving people what they want, software and hardware bugs creeping in whilst prices edge up. Apple's obviously in a much better position now, but even so. I don't want history to repeat itself.
    Everybody that you talk to says that the X is way too expensive, but the data keeps demonstrating how popular the iPhone X is.

Hence, while Apple showed a 5% decrease in units, I'm guessing that their ASP actually increases. You do know that generating revenue is what companies do? Seems like a proper strategy for Apple.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 69

crowley said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Thinking a decrease of over 15% is a significant drop is hardly trolling.  It's big.

Gee, it would be a big deal if iPhone shipment decreased 15%, but it didn't happen. That was Samsung's decrease. Apple was only down 5% in sales, not even untypical for this quarter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 69

avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:

Perhaps you interpret 'decline' differently to me. No new product till the end of the year. IPhone X sales dropping (quite logically) every quarter. That 25% of two year old phones propping up the bottom end but weighing negatively against iPhone X. Take a look at the report.
    So, that means that 75% were new phones? I'm guessing those are X, 8, and 8 Plus. All very high ASP.

But you don't like to talk about ASP.  For you, it's all about Huawei share growth. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 69
    tmay said:
    elijahg said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Oh no, he wasn't 100% overpraising Apple, he must be a troll. Trolling goes both ways, incessant and blind praise of Apple as equal a troll as constant bashing. By that metric, you're a troll. 

Everybody that you talk to says that the X is way too expensive, but the data keeps demonstrating how popular the iPhone X is.

Hence, while Apple showed a 5% decrease in units, I'm guessing that their ASP actually increases. You do know that generating revenue is what companies do? Seems like a proper strategy for Apple.

You really should read the report summary.

The iPhone X has only been available for two full quarters. I think it's completely logical that it sold less in its second pop and even less in its third pop. Don't you see it that way or do you think it will somehow buck the trend in Q3? It definitely puts your 'popular' opinion into context.

That's not to take anything away from it. It's being realistic.

On the other hand, the two year old phones are still pulling in 25% of sales (in Europe, not underdeveloped areas).

That 25% will pull down on your ASP line though and probably overall industry profits if these numbers are representative.

It's basically what the report is saying.
    edited May 2018 sflocalelijahg
  • Reply 14 of 69
    cogitodextercogitodexter Posts: 196member
    One of the reasons for a decreasing market is likely to do with the increasing unit prices - people are naturally holding on to them for longer or tying themselves into longer contracts in order to keep the monthly cost down. I've had almost every iPhone generation that's been released, but as I detest tie in contracts with network-locked phones (as well as their increasing prices), I simply couldn't stomach the very high cost of buying into the latest model this year. I'll wait for the next one at the end of the year and, most likely, will have to wait for the beginning of 2019 for supply to equal demand and for cash to be available to spend.

Apple's quality is pretty much as good as it needs to be, but I'm concerned that the very high pricing is going to end up being reflected in reduced unit sales if they keep up the trend. Clearly that won't affect the profitability - at their volumes, that's not going to happen, but it will still reflect in overall market stats. 

Incidentally, the situation is the same with other manufacturers - the Samsung S9 is also hideously expensive as well. At some point the market is going to squeeze back.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 15 of 69
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tmay said:

crowley said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Gee, it would be a big deal if iPhone shipment decreased 15%, but it didn't happen. That was Samsung's decrease. Apple was only down 5% in sales, not even untypical for this quarter.
    Good point, I read the second chart incorrectly. You're incorrect too though, since the 5% is a year-on-year decline, not from the previous quarter.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    GaryGateGaryGate Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    "Apple, according to its earnings last week, sold 52.2 million iPhones in the March quarter. Assuming Canalys is using the same three-month period, that means about one-tenth of the worldwide iPhone market was in Europe.”

iPhone shipments in Europe were 10.2 million. That’s about one-fifth of the worldwide iPhone market. I think.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 69
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:

So, that means that 75% were new phones? I'm guessing those are X, 8, and 8 Plus. All very high ASP.

But you don't like to talk about ASP.  For you, it's all about Huawei share growth. 
    No. The 7 series line is in there too.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So I guess Apple is doomed and Tim should be fired....
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 69
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:

Why do you assume there's no NEW products until the end of the year? Sometimes Apple announces new products at the WWDC. Updated iPad Pro's? AirPods 2? Something else? I expect iPhone sales to drop off as the year goes on. Why buy a new phone when a updated phone is coming out in a few months. The closer to a launch of a new phone, the more people will hold out if they can. This is nothing new as it happens every year. I plan to get the iPhone XI or whatever Apple calls it this year when the new phones launch upgrading what will be a 4 year old iPhone 6. I like to keep my cell phones for 4 years.

Apple doesn't care what people people buy so long as it's a iPhone. Apple makes even more money from people in the services area. Apple is doing just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 69
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Europeans are far too sophisticated to prefer Android. That is why so many of them buy iPhone.