Apple HomePod competitor Sonos lays off 96 employees ahead of expected IPO

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,269member
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    So many smart speakers out there now and many more to come over the next few months. With some of them from the long-time audio companies like B&O and Bose and Sony and Pioneer and Sonos and JBL, there's no shortage of very good to great small speakers with assistant capabilities. Options like truly portable 360 sound smart speakers (ie JBL, Bose, Ultimate Ears and others) put them in a space where they aren't even competing directly with the must-be-plugged-in HomePod. 

Apple will of course be successful with the HomePod (who has their kind of fanbase?) but with a single non-portable relatively high-priced speaker that has zero usefulness to an otherwise non-Apple owner they certainly have marketplace limits.
    I would use "user base" rather than "fan base" but the context comes out much different than what you intended.
    Yeah I noticed the same. “But it’s a cult!” and "Mindless Sheeple fans!" is the subtext here. 
    He’s crafty that in that way. Just another take on the “only stupid people buy Apple products” meme. Trolls have given up on the “doomed to bankruptcy” narrative. Too much egg on their faces. Now it’s the “Apple will succeed but only because stupid people buy their junk” backhanded slap in the face. Troll evolution and innovation at it’s finest. Somebody should write a book.
    When did fan base take on negative connotations? Not anywhere but here among some tiny subset of the "fan base" with ulterior reasons for complaining AFAIK.  So which one of you aren't fans of Apple? Speak up, don't be shy....
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 22 of 46
    When Sonos first appeared on the market, the iPod was king. There were many emerging solutions for network music: Squeezebox (later acquired by Logitech) and Roku among the most popular. While its competitors had terrible growing pains and ended up fading into the sunset, Sonos managed to not only thrive, but also maintain compatibility with first generation hardware while reinventing itself. Kudos to its leadership team. Great product, smart people. They deserve their success.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    So many smart speakers out there now and many more to come over the next few months. With some of them from the long-time audio companies like B&O and Bose and Sony and Pioneer and Sonos and JBL, there's no shortage of very good to great small speakers with assistant capabilities. Options like truly portable 360 sound smart speakers (ie JBL, Bose, Ultimate Ears and others) put them in a space where they aren't even competing directly with the must-be-plugged-in HomePod. 

Apple will of course be successful with the HomePod (who has their kind of fanbase?) but with a single non-portable relatively high-priced speaker that has zero usefulness to an otherwise non-Apple owner they certainly have marketplace limits.

Up to your usual tricks. Trying to confine a HomePod to the category of “smart speaker” so you can claim there are many competitors.

Name any speaker that adjusts to your room like the HomePod. And no, I don’t mean lame-ass adjustments that only involve EQ (like Sonos or Home Max). I mean speakers that can adjust bass in real-time using a dedicated feedback microphone to precisely control driver excursion. Or speakers that can make adjustments in the time domain (phase). Or any speaker (even just one) that can accurately locate its position in a room. Then you’ll have found a HomePod competitor. 
    When did sound stop mattering? You know full-well that some audioheads find the Home Max sounds better than HomePod. Some find Sonos to have better sound than the HomeMax. Some find the HomePod to have better sound than Sonos. The HomePod is not simply "best". Maybe on your checkbox spec chart.

As an example surely you know that like the HomePod the Google HomeMax is constantly monitoring and adjusting bass in real-time using a mike dedicated to that, exactly as the HomePod does. Exactly. It even has a negligibly higher excursion woofer than the HomePod, pair of 'em as a matter of fact. The HomePod might (or might not) more efficiently craft the sound to a particular room using the additional tweeter array for mapping, but it doesn't continue to do so in real-time contrary to popular belief. No it does not know where you are standing in the room. It's a one-off adjustment that isn't repeated unless the unit registers it has been moved to a new location. Otherwise it does NOT adjust to new obstructions, a person standing in front of it, a room now filled with pillows or 25 guests or whatever etc. except with the woofer. Same. As. HomeMax.

Most listeners would grant the HomePod sounds great for its size, but the same is said about the Sonos line and the Home Max. Fancy names and scientific explanations does not prove the sound you hear from a HomePod (or HomeMax or Sonos One or Five or...) is decidedly "better". Don't be that spec guy who thinks filling in more boxes means automatically "I win!".

So yeah, the HomePod has competitors. You may be one of the few who would claim otherwise while keeping a straight-face. By the way, do you own any smart-speakers? I don't recall you mentioning which ones if you do.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,362member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

I would use "user base" rather than "fan base" but the context comes out much different than what you intended.
    Yeah I noticed the same. “But it’s a cult!” and "Mindless Sheeple fans!" is the subtext here. 
    He’s crafty that in that way. Just another take on the “only stupid people buy Apple products” meme. Trolls have given up on the “doomed to bankruptcy” narrative. Too much egg on their faces. Now it’s the “Apple will succeed but only because stupid people buy their junk” backhanded slap in the face. Troll evolution and innovation at it’s finest. Somebody should write a book.
    When did fan base take on negative connotations? Not anywhere but here among some tiny subset of the "fan base" with ulterior reasons for complaining AFAIK.  So which one of you aren't fans of Apple? Speak up, don't be shy....
    Your previous statement reeked of "damning with faint praise", but more along the lines of, "HomePod is something only its own mother would love".

Still, I'm guessing that you feel much better with a rant about your teams's product being superior to another team's product, and all of the competition to the HomePod.

Oh, and I don't own any smart speakers either.

Your mileage varied.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Your previous statement reeked of "damning with faint praise", but more along the lines of, "HomePod is something only its own mother would love".

Still, I'm guessing that you feel much better with a rant about your teams's product being superior to another team's product...
    You already know better and it's disappointing that you of all members here would make up claims about what someone said (easy enough to find exactly what I said) just to support an IMO very silly and very petty agenda. I've had more respect for you.

BTW, fan base is not a term that would upset anyone... normally. My college has a fan base, as does my Lightning hockey team, and I doubt any of them would appreciate that being called "mindless" for being fans. 

Try spending more time discussing what is actually said and how valid the points are rather than using letting your imagination run wild for possible hidden meanings.

Does Apple have a massive fanbase? Yes
    Does that fanbase help give Apple products more immediate traction and a better chance at success than some less historically reputable companies? Yes
    Are there good sounding smart speakers that Apple does not offer competition for? Yes
    Does Apple have current competition in the ac-tethered "great-sounding" smart-speaker space?  Yes
    Are the traditional audio companies moving into that market too? Yes
    Is a HomePod generally unfit for purpose to someone not using other Apple products? Yes

So where's the disagreement. Well gosh if you can't argue the facts maybe standing on one leg and squinting real hard there might be some word in there that you can make up some negative connotation for. 

Next....
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Lab4UsLab4Us Posts: 32member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Up to your usual tricks. Trying to confine a HomePod to the category of “smart speaker” so you can claim there are many competitors.

Name any speaker that adjusts to your room like the HomePod. And no, I don’t mean lame-ass adjustments that only involve EQ (like Sonos or Home Max). I mean speakers that can adjust bass in real-time using a dedicated feedback microphone to precisely control driver excursion. Or speakers that can make adjustments in the time domain (phase). Or any speaker (even just one) that can accurately locate its position in a room. Then you’ll have found a HomePod competitor. 
    When did sound stop mattering? You know full-well that some audioheads find the Home Max sounds better than HomePod. Some find Sonos to have better sound than the HomeMax. Some find the HomePod to have better sound than Sonos. The HomePod is not simply "best". Maybe on your checkbox spec chart.

As an example surely you know that like the HomePod the Google HomeMax is constantly monitoring and adjusting bass in real-time using a mike dedicated to that, exactly as the HomePod does. Exactly. It even has a negligibly higher excursion woofer than the HomePod, pair of 'em as a matter of fact. The HomePod might (or might not) more efficiently craft the sound to a particular room using the additional tweeter array for mapping, but it doesn't continue to do so in real-time contrary to popular belief. No it does not know where you are standing in the room. It's a one-off adjustment that isn't repeated unless the unit registers it has been moved to a new location. Otherwise it does NOT adjust to new obstructions, a person standing in front of it, a room now filled with pillows or 25 guests or whatever etc. except with the woofer. Same. As. HomeMax.

Most listeners would grant the HomePod sounds great for its size, but the same is said about the Sonos line and the Home Max. Fancy names and scientific explanations does not prove the sound you hear from a HomePod (or HomeMax or Sonos One or Five or...) is decidedly "better". Don't be that spec guy who thinks filling in more boxes means automatically "I win!".

So yeah, the HomePod has competitors. You may be one of the few who would claim otherwise while keeping a straight-face. By the way, do you own any smart-speakers? I don't recall you mentioning which ones if you do.
    So if I stand behind, or to the side, of a Google Max or a Sonos speaker, I’ll get the same listening experience as standing directly centered in front of it?  Rhetorical, as I own Sonos and Homepod(s).  I know which provides a proper soundfield no matter where it is relative to the listener.  You are correct on point one - sound matters.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Lab4Us said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

So if I stand behind, or to the side, of a Google Max or a Sonos speaker, I’ll get the same listening experience as standing directly centered in front of it?  Rhetorical, as I own Sonos and Homepod(s).  I know which provides a proper soundfield no matter where it is relative to the listener.  You are correct on point one - sound matters.
    Sure there will be places where a single 360 speaker can sound better than a single front-firing one, and standing behind it would be one of those. There are places a 2-speaker front-firing stereo setup such as Sonos offers (for the same price as a single HomePod) can sound better than two 360 degree HomePods sitting left and right. 
    ;)
    There is no "best".
  • Reply 28 of 46
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    gatorguy said:
    Lab4Us said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Sure there will be places where a single 360 speaker can sound better than a single front-firing one, and standing behind it would be one of those. There are places a 2-speaker front-firing stereo setup such as Sonos offers for the same price will sound better than two 360 degree HomePods on opposite sides of the room. 
    ;)
    There is no "best".
    I love how people argue over these crappy low-end speakers when, in reality, none of them sound that great compared to a dedicated home audio setup. I tried HomePod. It’s ok. Too bass-y, cold, and over processed to my ear. Room filling sound?  Not quite. My Sonos Play5 sounds much better. Neither HomePod nor the Play5 compares to my in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, but considering they cost 5x what a HomePod costs, thats no surprise. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 29 of 46
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Fan base is a subset of user base. 
  • Reply 30 of 46
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    The thinG about layoffs is it sends a message to the remaining employees that their jobs are less secure. This results in additional employees quiting their jobs. The end result is Sonos will loose some of the employees they wanted to keep. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Still, I'm guessing that you feel much better with a rant about your teams's product being superior to another team's product...
    You already know better and it's disappointing that you of all members here would make up claims about what someone said (easy enough to find exactly what I said) just to support an IMO very silly and very petty agenda. I've had more respect for you.

BTW, fan base is not a term that would upset anyone... normally. My college has a fan base, as does my Lightning hockey team, and I doubt any of them would appreciate that being called "mindless" for being fans. 

Try spending more time discussing what is actually said and how valid the points are rather than using letting your imagination run wild for possible hidden meanings.

Does that fanbase help give Apple products more immediate traction and a better chance at success than some less historically reputable companies? Yes
    Are there good sounding smart speakers that Apple does not offer competition for? Yes
    Does Apple have current competition in the ac-tethered "great-sounding" smart-speaker space?  Yes
    Is a HomePod generally unfit for purpose to someone not using other Apple products? Yes

So where's the disagreement. Well gosh if you can't argue the facts maybe standing on one leg and squinting real hard there might be some word in there that you can make up some negative connotation for. 

Next....
    You seem to lack the self awareness to realize that you come across to myself and many others here at AI, most of the time, as a Google Fan, more so than the typical Google User, using your implied criteria.

Your casual use of "fan" as an pejorative for Apple's product successes rather than the obvious, large, and generally very satisfied user base, certainly colors any argument you make about comparative product features or advantages. Hence, why I noted that you damn the HomePod with faint praise, which you absolutely did.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 46
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Next....
    You seem to lack the self awareness to realize that you come across to myself and many others here at AI, most of the time, as a Google Fan, more so than the typical Google User, using your implied criteria.

Your casual use of "fan" as an pejorative for Apple's product successes rather than the obvious, large, and generally very satisfied user base, certainly colors any argument you make about comparative product features or advantages. Hence, why I noted that you damn the HomePod with faint praise, which you absolutely did.
    I see "I'm a fan " here at AI far more than "I'm a user". Still that seems to be the only objection you've been able to put together regarding the what-you-see-as-an-offensive post? One generally innocuous word....

FWIW i wasn't trying to do a comparative analysis anymore than any other poster was (with the possible exception of Eric who I replied to in more detail. )
    crowley
  • Reply 33 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,906member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Next....

I see "I'm a fan " here at AI far more than "I'm a user". Still that seems to be the only objection you've been able to put together regarding the what-you-see-as-an-offensive post? One generally innocuous word....
    Were you any other forum user that may be the case. But considering the constant agenda you push for Google, and your repeated admissions and clear lack of understanding about Apple products (won't go into again), it creates a pattern. You're often a FUD dispenser, so one can reasonably attach secondary meaning to your chosen language. You never seem to like being called out for it but the pattern speaks for itself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Next....

FWIW i wasn't trying to do a comparative analysis anymore than any other poster was (with the possible exception of Eric who I replied to in more detail. )
    So your okay with me calling you and anyone who buys a Google product, for whatever reason, a Google Fan? That's exactly what you stated about Apple users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Next....

Were you any other forum user that may be the case. But considering the constant agenda you push for Google, and your repeated admissions and clear lack of understanding about Apple products (won't go into again), it creates a pattern. You're often a FUD dispenser, so one can reasonably attach secondary meaning to your chosen language. You never seem to like being called out for it but the pattern speaks for itself.
    To you it apparently does speak for itself. I think your off-the-cuff dismissal of other AI members concerns re: Apple stuff and/or knee-jerk admonishment of even long-time Apple fans (there's that ugly word again) for questioning in the first place "speaks for itself". So what? Does what I think of your posts keep you awake at night? Ditto. Neither of us matter in the bigger scheme. Unless that was your dog I kicked during the bike ride you have no rational reason for your silly personal vendetta IMO. Apple didn't make a nickel from anything you wrote here today, nor lose a single sale from anything I had to say. Loving or hating Google also had zero effect on Apple's business. Why would hating Google be a requirement for admission to your club?

No I don't think I "push" for Google, recommend them over Apple, promote them in threads that have nothing to do with them and other trollish activities.  You find it more bothersome that I'm not a Google hater IMO. I can see the good stuff along with the (IMO) bad.

Yeah I am certainly a "fan" of many of Google's services, ie Photos, Search, Google Music, Maps and Drive come to mind. No dispute from me. But not so much a fan of Google WiFi escapades or their Safari disinformation tactics,or their develop it then drop it strategies, or their sometimes poor focus on the goal. or their siphoning of sooo much information, or their unexplainable failure to give Sun a little sumpin' sumpin' when developing Android.  I look forward to the day that giving me great personal services doesn't require keeping around great gobs of personal data to do so and to their credit they're slowly getting there, recognizing the scenery is changing. But I won't stoop to making stuff up to suit an agenda, pro or con. We should all be able to say the same. 

I get that some members might have no problem with letting FUD pass by (and often do) if it involves a perceived Apple competitor, maybe even post it themselves if they think no one will notice. make believe it's fact and "everyone knows". I don't roll like that which should be appreciated.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamcrowley
  • Reply 36 of 46
    WheresMyNikonWheresMyNikon Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I love my Sonos system and have speakers throughout our home.  Perhaps 9 units in all.  However, the redesign of the Controller App last year was a complete disaster and probably reduced our family usage by 80%.  Other than the TV whole room system which does not depend on the app, no other listening took place.  We would struggle with the App, music would play in the wrong place and we would give up and listen in the kitchen to our Alexa.  Far poorer sound, but who needs the battle.  

They recently brought back some control buttons on the bottom of the screen and this made a terrible interface at least usable and we now use it more.  How they could have released the App without getting tons of user feedback I don't know. Every person I know who has Sonos hated the app update.  This should have been picked up in UAT or frankly, even in design.  Thousands of dollars of speakers made less useful because of a poor App update. 

Hopefully - this does not hold them back in this new competitive landscape - the sound however - is great.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

In essence, Apple dropped the most sophisticated wireless speaker on the market in its price class, which is almost universally panned for its poor "smart speaker" performance, is tested and found wanting in a number of "unbiased listener tests", and yet, the revenue based on the numbers appears to match the revenues, more or less, for Sonos' entire product line.

Looking at revenues for the HomePod in the neighborhood of $800 m for the year, and would note that is on its first attempt at a speaker in many, many, years.

Pretty sure that describes disruption.
    I’m sure HomePod has sold in the $billions.   Christmas will add Billions more because stereo support will be out by then - I believe.

• Reply 38 of 46
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Next....

To you it apparently does speak for itself. I think your off-the-cuff dismissal of other AI members concerns re: Apple stuff and/or knee-jerk admonishment of even long-time Apple fans (there's that ugly word again) for questioning in the first place "speaks for itself". So what? Does what I think of your posts keep you awake at night? Ditto. Neither of us matter in the bigger scheme. Unless that was your dog I kicked during the bike ride you have no rational reason for your silly personal vendetta IMO. Apple didn't make a nickel from anything you wrote here today, nor lose a single sale from anything I had to say. Loving or hating Google also had zero effect on Apple's business. Why would hating Google be a requirement for admission to your club?

No I don't think I "push" for Google, recommend them over Apple, promote them in threads that have nothing to do with them and other trollish activities.  You find it more bothersome that I'm not a Google hater IMO. I can see the good stuff along with the (IMO) bad.

Yeah I am certainly a "fan" of many of Google's services, ie Photos, Search, Google Music, Maps and Drive come to mind. No dispute from me. But not so much a fan of Google WiFi escapades or their Safari disinformation tactics,or their develop it then drop it strategies, or their sometimes poor focus on the goal. or their siphoning of sooo much information, or their unexplainable failure to give Sun a little sumpin' sumpin' when developing Android.  I look forward to the day that giving me great personal services doesn't require keeping around great gobs of personal data to do so and to their credit they're slowly getting there, recognizing the scenery is changing. But I won't stoop to making stuff up to suit an agenda, pro or con. We should all be able to say the same. 

I get that some members might have no problem with letting FUD pass by (and often do) if it involves a perceived Apple competitor, maybe even post it themselves if they think no one will notice. make believe it's fact and "everyone knows". I don't roll like that which should be appreciated.
    OMG you guys are sooooo boring. 
    crowleyfranklinjackcon
  • Reply 39 of 46
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,323member
    If you don't want "a spy in your kitchen," as one reader put it, you'd be wise to avoid all Alexa-associated products, and of course Google generally. Oops, that only leaves HomePod and non-smart speakers (from Sonos or others). :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    gatorguy said:

Well you don't have to be a 'fan' to know superior sound quality / price. 
    tmay