Apple HomePod competitor Sonos lays off 96 employees ahead of expected IPO

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    So many smart speakers out there now and many more to come over the next few months. With some of them from the long-time audio companies like B&O and Bose and Sony and Pioneer and Sonos and JBL, there's no shortage of very good to great small speakers with assistant capabilities. Options like truly portable 360 sound smart speakers (ie JBL, Bose, Ultimate Ears and others) put them in a space where they aren't even competing directly with the must-be-plugged-in HomePod. 

Apple will of course be successful with the HomePod (who has their kind of fanbase?) but with a single non-portable relatively high-priced speaker that has zero usefulness to an otherwise non-Apple owner they certainly have marketplace limits.
    I would use "user base" rather than "fan base" but the context comes out much different than what you intended.
    Well of course he had to be demeaning, his full time job it seems is to subtly knock apple 24/7.  He doesn't even own Apple product (or didn't according to his own writing on AI a while back) but do keep calling him out.  Maybe one day Google will move him to another blog.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:

tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    So many smart speakers out there now and many more to come over the next few months. With some of them from the long-time audio companies like B&O and Bose and Sony and Pioneer and Sonos and JBL, there's no shortage of very good to great small speakers with assistant capabilities. Options like truly portable 360 sound smart speakers (ie JBL, Bose, Ultimate Ears and others) put them in a space where they aren't even competing directly with the must-be-plugged-in HomePod. 

Apple will of course be successful with the HomePod (who has their kind of fanbase?) but with a single non-portable relatively high-priced speaker that has zero usefulness to an otherwise non-Apple owner they certainly have marketplace limits.
    I would use "user base" rather than "fan base" but the context comes out much different than what you intended.
    Well of course he had to be demeaning, his full time job it seems is to subtly knock apple 24/7.  He doesn't even own Apple product (or didn't according to his own writing on AI a while back) but do keep calling him out.  Maybe one day Google will move him to another blog.
    Deja vu? I swear we had that discussion, I think more than once, so you already knew better.

Why would you feel so driven to troll me with the silly personal stuff on a regular basis? You rarely dispute what was actually written. If the post was accurate but you "just don't like it" why not ignore it if you have nothing to add but silly ad-homs, and from an adult! Weird stuff sometimes...
    edited May 2018 crowleymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    k2kw said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Up to your usual tricks. Trying to confine a HomePod to the category of “smart speaker” so you can claim there are many competitors.

Name any speaker that adjusts to your room like the HomePod. And no, I don’t mean lame-ass adjustments that only involve EQ (like Sonos or Home Max). I mean speakers that can adjust bass in real-time using a dedicated feedback microphone to precisely control driver excursion. Or speakers that can make adjustments in the time domain (phase). Or any speaker (even just one) that can accurately locate its position in a room. Then you’ll have found a HomePod competitor. 
    In essence, Apple dropped the most sophisticated wireless speaker on the market in its price class, which is almost universally panned for its poor "smart speaker" performance, is tested and found wanting in a number of "unbiased listener tests", and yet, the revenue based on the numbers appears to match the revenues, more or less, for Sonos' entire product line.

Looking at revenues for the HomePod in the neighborhood of $800 m for the year, and would note that is on its first attempt at a speaker in many, many, years.

Pretty sure that describes disruption.
    I’m sure HomePod has sold in the $billions.   

Not if they've sold 600,000.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Deja vu? I swear we had that discussion, I think more than once, so you already knew better.

Why would you feel so driven to troll me with the silly personal stuff on a regular basis? You rarely dispute what was actually written. If the post was accurate but you "just don't like it" why not ignore it if you have nothing to add but silly ad-homs, and from an adult! Weird stuff sometimes...
    Off topic, but I thought that you would be interested;

https://www.japanautomotivedaily.com/2018/05/21/ntt-docomo-transmits-5g-data-with-car-traveling-300-km-h/

AFAIK, you can't read the full story without logging in, but the lede says it all.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 45 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Off topic, but I thought that you would be interested;

https://www.japanautomotivedaily.com/2018/05/21/ntt-docomo-transmits-5g-data-with-car-traveling-300-km-h/

AFAIK, you can't read the full story without logging in, but the lede says it all.
    I noticed yesterday they were doing that testing. Japan is often (and sometimes not) up at the forefront of tech advances.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Lab4UsLab4Us Posts: 32member
    crowley said:
    k2kw said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Up to your usual tricks. Trying to confine a HomePod to the category of “smart speaker” so you can claim there are many competitors.

Name any speaker that adjusts to your room like the HomePod. And no, I don’t mean lame-ass adjustments that only involve EQ (like Sonos or Home Max). I mean speakers that can adjust bass in real-time using a dedicated feedback microphone to precisely control driver excursion. Or speakers that can make adjustments in the time domain (phase). Or any speaker (even just one) that can accurately locate its position in a room. Then you’ll have found a HomePod competitor. 
    In essence, Apple dropped the most sophisticated wireless speaker on the market in its price class, which is almost universally panned for its poor "smart speaker" performance, is tested and found wanting in a number of "unbiased listener tests", and yet, the revenue based on the numbers appears to match the revenues, more or less, for Sonos' entire product line.

Looking at revenues for the HomePod in the neighborhood of $800 m for the year, and would note that is on its first attempt at a speaker in many, many, years.

Pretty sure that describes disruption.
    I’m sure HomePod has sold in the $billions.   

Not if they've sold 600,000.
    Yep, at $349, that equals $209,400,000.  Not too shabby for less than a quarter with features not yet 100%.