Apple's Federighi promises APFS boot support for Mac Fusion Drives 'very soon'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    leicamanleicaman Posts: 29member
    MacPro said:
    I am curious as to what Apple is fine tuning, anyone here know?  The Disk Utility (Version 17.0 (1606)) that came with the first developer beta of High Sierra did and still does format anything you want as APFS including FusionDrives, HDD and RAIDs.  I only played around with non essential drives and data obviously but never had a single problem.
    You can format anything APFS. You just can't use spinning metal as a boot drive.

I've just clarified the language in the story a bit.
    No, actually you cannot format anything APFS. If you put a Time Machine backup on a drive that is formatted APFS, then Time Machine will fail. It won't work with APFS yet. It will, just like Fusion Drives will. But who chooses Fusion Drive any more? With big SSDs available, I would never go that route.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    leicaman said:
    MacPro said:
    I am curious as to what Apple is fine tuning, anyone here know?  The Disk Utility (Version 17.0 (1606)) that came with the first developer beta of High Sierra did and still does format anything you want as APFS including FusionDrives, HDD and RAIDs.  I only played around with non essential drives and data obviously but never had a single problem.
    You can format anything APFS. You just can't use spinning metal as a boot drive.

No, actually you cannot format anything APFS. If you put a Time Machine backup on a drive that is formatted APFS, then Time Machine will fail. It won't work with APFS yet. It will, just like Fusion Drives will. But who chooses Fusion Drive any more? With big SSDs available, I would never go that route.
    People who don't have hundreds of dollars (thousands?) to spend on an SSD upgrade BTO Mac? I'd say most cannot afford a 2TB Flash Storage BTO Mac, but they could maybe just get a Mac that has a 2TB Fusion Drive, or spend a little more for a 2TB Fusion Drive. 
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    leicaman said:
    MacPro said:

No, you can format anything APFS. 

You're right that Time Machine on an APFS drive doesn't work, but that doesn't mean that you can't format the drive to APFS.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    BgfBgf Posts: 3member
    emoeller said:
    This is good news.  My issues have been with DAS (direct access storage) units (such as the Akitio Thunder3 Quad Mini) whereby a drive sometimes disconnecst and the only way to reconnect them is to unplug either the power or the Thunderbolt3 cable (thus affecting all of the drive units).  Neither Finder nor Disk Utility will allow reconnection via the operating system.
    ... hum ... i'm using the Akitio TB3 Quad Mini (1TbSSD, 2TbSSD, 5TBSegate, 5TBSeagte ... no mirroring/raid configuration, JBOD) ... all drives formatted APFS ... no issues ... no drops (and i would know cause i run ALL my VM's from it) ... no disconnects ... no issues/problems ... roughly 3 months of continuous rock-solid uptime ...

imac 27" 5k, 64gb, 3tb fusion hfs+ ...