China's Smartisan says Apple has 'lost its soul' in pitch for new smartphone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Well, we'll see what they can do, I guess. But the reactions from some of the Apple fanboys here sound a bit eerily like comments from Palm and a certain Canadian phone maker before the iPhone showed up.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,341member
    cgWerks said:
    Well, we'll see what they can do, I guess. But the reactions from some of the Apple fanboys here sound a bit eerily like comments from Palm and a certain Canadian phone maker before the iPhone showed up.
    Never understood why Palm tanked. They had a great product transitioning in to great product in WebOS. They really should still be around really pushing the agenda if it wasn't for HP.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 23 of 58
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    mattinoz said:
    Never understood why Palm tanked. They had a great product transitioning in to great product in WebOS. They really should still be around really pushing the agenda if it wasn't for HP. 
    My impression... the iPhone was such a leap ahead of them, and they thought they were untouchable.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,268member
    The idea of leveraging a phone's CPU, memory, and connectivity to make a plug-in workstation is very appealing. People keep trying to make it work (https://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/; https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-dex-pad-galaxy-s9-touchpad-pc-mwc-2018-b2b/) but don't seem to get it right (I haven't actually tried any of the past experiments). Which is all a long of way of saying Apple would have the best chance of getting this to work given their software/hardware integration. MacMini on an iPhone!

I realise it's not the same as a desktop, but  didn't Asus have a tablet-cum-phone thingy? The Padfone, or something?

• Reply 25 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    The idea of leveraging a phone's CPU, memory, and connectivity to make a plug-in workstation is very appealing. People keep trying to make it work (https://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/; https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-dex-pad-galaxy-s9-touchpad-pc-mwc-2018-b2b/) but don't seem to get it right (I haven't actually tried any of the past experiments). Which is all a long of way of saying Apple would have the best chance of getting this to work given their software/hardware integration. MacMini on an iPhone!

I realise it's not the same as a desktop, but  didn't Asus have a tablet-cum-phone thingy? The Padfone, or something?

LOL I forgot about that monstrosity. I actually like Asus as I have had a lot of success with their products, but that burns the retinas just to look at it.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 58
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    "Apple lost it's soul, now check out our revolutionary imitation Apple products". This guy reminds me of a fake Steve Jobs(turtleneck and jeans) who was the figure of a Chinese iKnockoff company. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gb4acQemy1c/T_0fl7yWBdI/AAAAAAAAAg4/GydEKg6PTYQ/s1600/AsianSteveJobs.jpg
    edited May 2018 racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 58
    T-TRXT-TRX Posts: 1member
    this guy, Luo Yonghao. who is actually a descendant of Korean immigrants now living in China, who spiritually believe himself is a Japanese. He admires Japanese culture and Japanese-militarism and really hates his Korean-Chinese identity. He always makes very controversial statements like “Chink are helpless if they don't study hard”,“ Japan is my motherland” things like that, basically everyone in China hates him but he still has some maniac fans. The market share of him Smartisan phone is actually negligible, nowadays he just makes a scene to make himself famous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Smartasstisan, you are soul.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 29 of 58
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
     Which is all a long of way of saying Apple would have the best chance of getting this to work given their software/hardware integration. MacMini on an iPhone!
    If it so transpired that this really was an idea that people wanted, you can be certain that once it was proved true Apple would very quickly release a product that can do it and they'd nail it first go and end up dominating the profits.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    A phone that doubles as a computer might be quite popular in China where people are more budget conscious.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    xbitxbit Posts: 391member
    cgWerks said:
    mattinoz said:
    My impression... the iPhone was such a leap ahead of them, and they thought they were untouchable.
    Palm never had global reach. Phones like the Treo 650 sold relatively well domestically but were never picked up by international carriers. They were a small fish in a big pond and never had the resources to compete against global players.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 58
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    kevin kee said:
    bitmod said:
    tomasulu said:
    I’m a huge fan of Apple. I’ve pretty much all of their products from watches to desktops and everything in between. But I also agreed that Apple is in a general state of decline in terms of their ability to innovate and to think big. I see companies like Tesla, Google and even Amazon leading the way and going out of their comfort zone. Apple seems to be stuck in trying to do thing so perfectly and with craftsmanship that they’re not trying hard enough. Yeah having a biometric authentication method that’s 2 years ahead of your competitor is wonderful. But it’s not denting the universe. I don’t see anything from Apple that is going to fundamentally changed our lives. Like how it was when Steve disrupted so many industries. Even the secretive Apple car is simply a me-too trying to catch up to Google and tesla.
    Apple is sorely missing a visionary. 
    They have the numbers guy, the have some designers and capable engineers, they have a good marketing team. 
    They are missing the visionary. 

Tim needs to move to CFO and get a young visionary at the head of the Apple - before they deplete the iOS device innovation revolution that Steve set up for them. 
    Get rid of Ives. I used to like his work, but his time has passed. 
    They still do make visionary products - for example that product that can do space awareness intelligently. And what happened? It doesn't even make into top 5 in the market.
    Don’t quote from that ignorant AI article discussing sales of smart speakers for just ONE quarter!!! It discusses the entire category of smart speakers, of which probably 95% are low end / priced units, an area where Apple doesn’t play. When comparing HomePod to the other high end smart speakers I’m sure we’ll see Apple number one, or close to number one, in both units and profitability.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 33 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    "Why do people give these used-car salesmen any legitimacy?" Ask the America voter the same question.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Nobody stays on top forever. Apple's most significant days of innovation and cultural significance may be or soon be past only time will tell. Those here which focus on a product like the iPhone please don't forget that the desktop computer was once the star of technology and now a pc is a mere appliance. The next great invention may not come from a company like Apple, Google or well.....  We may not know it when it arrives at first but I can assure you it won't be a phone. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 35 of 58
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,332member
    Well.... I didn't know this company even existed, now I do. 

So I guess mission accomplished :-/ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    spice-boy said:
    Nobody stays on top forever. Apple's most significant days of innovation and cultural significance may be or soon be past only time will tell. Those here which focus on a product like the iPhone please don't forget that the desktop computer was once the star of technology and now a pc is a mere appliance. The next great invention may not come from a company like Apple, Google or well.....  We may not know it when it arrives at first but I can assure you it won't be a phone. 
    Four words: AR glasses, microLED screens.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Hahaha, lol lol lol, rofl rofl rofl
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tomasulu said:
    I’m a huge fan of Apple. I’ve pretty much all of their products from watches to desktops and everything in between. But I also agreed that Apple is in a general state of decline in terms of their ability to innovate and to think big. I see companies like Tesla, Google and even Amazon leading the way and going out of their comfort zone. Apple seems to be stuck in trying to do thing so perfectly and with craftsmanship that they’re not trying hard enough. Yeah having a biometric authentication method that’s 2 years ahead of your competitor is wonderful. But it’s not denting the universe. I don’t see anything from Apple that is going to fundamentally changed our lives. Like how it was when Steve disrupted so many industries. Even the secretive Apple car is simply a me-too trying to catch up to Google and tesla.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. My opinion is that your opinion is nonsense.
    ihatescreennameskiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mattinoz said:
    cgWerks said:
    Yeah, well, you know, that’s like... ah... your opinion, man. Some think the Amiga should still be around too if it weren’t for Commodore screwing it up. And, like, Xerox should have brought the first GUI computer to market... if it weren’t for Apple stealing it, man.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 58
    lkrupp said:
    tomasulu said:
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. My opinion is that your opinion is nonsense.
    I like the last sentence, “Even the secretive Apple car is simply a me-too trying to catch up to Google and tesla.“. Last I knew, I can go buy a Tesla but where can I get a car from Google? How come “the secretive Apple car” is playing catch-up but Google’s isn’t?

I agree, nonsense. 
    mattinozwatto_cobra