China's Smartisan says Apple has 'lost its soul' in pitch for new smartphone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    spice-boy said:
    Nobody stays on top forever. Apple's most significant days of innovation and cultural significance may be or soon be past only time will tell. Those here which focus on a product like the iPhone please don't forget that the desktop computer was once the star of technology and now a pc is a mere appliance. The next great invention may not come from a company like Apple, Google or well.....  We may not know it when it arrives at first but I can assure you it won't be a phone. 
    Apple has the cash to buy up new innovative companies - and they do it frequently. We may not see products from those acquisitions for years - if ever, but the current environment is that MS, Google, Amazon, Apple, etc. are constantly on the look out for what may be the hot new thing and gobble up the company when it becomes interesting enough. I think only someone like GE, HP, or some other large but not rockstar popular company could dethrone Apple with a surprise hit.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    *Yawn* Apple could make iPhones with 1 TB, too, but only if the demand was as puny as it will be for Smartass phones.  Otherwise we'd all live in a world of hurt trying to manufacture each year additional hundreds of millions of TB of solid state storage.
    Samsung already makes a docking station for its flagship phone--and who hasn't pondered this possibility for smartphones for years already?
    Apple will do it if/when the time and technology are right.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 58
    If I had a nickel for every " Apple is doomed" statement over the past 30 + years........... I'd be able to retire now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Known for treating product launches as variety shows, even selling tickets to such events, Chinese device maker Smartisan cast doubt on Apple's prospects in recently announcing its new R1 smartphone in front of a crowd of about 37,000 people.

Smartisan's Luo Yonghao

The goal is to "make Smartisan a great company like in the [Apple] era of [Steve] Jobs," founder Luo Yonghao said at the May 15 event, which occupied the 80,000-seat National Stadium in Beijing, according to the South China Morning Post. Luo argued that Apple has "lost its soul" since Jobs' death in 2011, in turn resulting in the decline of its designs and performance.

He further claimed that Apple would copy Smartisan "like crazy" after the launch of the Android-based R1, which has up to 1 terabyte of storage. Available alongside it is the TNT Station, a 27-inch 4K display which the R1 docks with to make it an Android-based desktop.

Many smartphone makers -- Chinese or otherwise -- often target Apple's iPhone in their marketing and designs, but it's relatively uncommon for them to simultaneously praise and damn the company, much less in front an audience of tens of thousands.

The most prominent company to chase Apple is typically Korean multinational Samsung. The two companies regularly leapfrog each other in features, but the latter is known for ads directly referring to Apple. One recent spot depicts a woman becoming frustrated with her throttled iPhone 6, visiting an Apple store, and eventually buying a Samsung Galaxy S9 instead.
    I like the below comments. It deepens my opinion that Apple is sinking and more isolated from the more opening world-Apple fans still lives in their dominant world dreams.

For example,some people list Apple 40 years history while forgetting Nokia's 150 years' history. Some people think Smartisan fans show up for free lauch while ignoring the fact that Smartisan's ticket revenue is over USD700,000 for this show though all donating to the open source foundations like Openssl. 

The most funny part is that this piece mix Smartisan's R1 and TNT system. What Luo claimed that Apple will copy Smartisan is because of TNT isystem. Obviously this reports try to misleading people using skilled language such the stadium has 80,000 seat while the audience is 37,000. But the fact is, It's a speech in front of people not a Marathon around the stadium,so It's not good to have more people watching his speech on spot. 

If you want to see one of the TNT function, take a look at this link.

Actually i am more crazy abt the Pocket Dealer function. It's an multi - task tool. I doubt Apple will crazy copy Smartisan. lol.
    muthuk_vanalingamTom99
  • Reply 45 of 58
    If I had a nickel for every " Apple is doomed" statement over the past 30 + years........... I'd be able to retire now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    lkrupp said:
    tomasulu said:
    I’m a huge fan of Apple. I’ve pretty much all of their products from watches to desktops and everything in between. But I also agreed that Apple is in a general state of decline in terms of their ability to innovate and to think big. I see companies like Tesla, Google and even Amazon leading the way and going out of their comfort zone. Apple seems to be stuck in trying to do thing so perfectly and with craftsmanship that they’re not trying hard enough. Yeah having a biometric authentication method that’s 2 years ahead of your competitor is wonderful. But it’s not denting the universe. I don’t see anything from Apple that is going to fundamentally changed our lives. Like how it was when Steve disrupted so many industries. Even the secretive Apple car is simply a me-too trying to catch up to Google and tesla.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. My opinion is that your opinion is nonsense.
    Not exactly a kind response to someone voicing their opinion. Are you trying to intimidate them from leaving comments? If you want to call someone's statement "nonsense" you should explain why as in back it up with facts. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 47 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    jasenj1 said:
    spice-boy said:
    Nobody stays on top forever. Apple's most significant days of innovation and cultural significance may be or soon be past only time will tell. Those here which focus on a product like the iPhone please don't forget that the desktop computer was once the star of technology and now a pc is a mere appliance. The next great invention may not come from a company like Apple, Google or well.....  We may not know it when it arrives at first but I can assure you it won't be a phone. 
    Apple has the cash to buy up new innovative companies - and they do it frequently. We may not see products from those acquisitions for years - if ever, but the current environment is that MS, Google, Amazon, Apple, etc. are constantly on the look out for what may be the hot new thing and gobble up the company when it becomes interesting enough. I think only someone like GE, HP, or some other large but not rockstar popular company could dethrone Apple with a surprise hit.
    Sometimes corporations buy a technology to "kill it". Ever wonder why it took so long to get an electric car?  
  • Reply 48 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Known for treating product launches as variety shows, even selling tickets to such events, Chinese device maker Smartisan cast doubt on Apple's prospects in recently announcing its new R1 smartphone in front of a crowd of about 37,000 people.

Smartisan's Luo Yonghao

The goal is to "make Smartisan a great company like in the [Apple] era of [Steve] Jobs," founder Luo Yonghao said at the May 15 event, which occupied the 80,000-seat National Stadium in Beijing, according to the South China Morning Post. Luo argued that Apple has "lost its soul" since Jobs' death in 2011, in turn resulting in the decline of its designs and performance.

He further claimed that Apple would copy Smartisan "like crazy" after the launch of the Android-based R1, which has up to 1 terabyte of storage. Available alongside it is the TNT Station, a 27-inch 4K display which the R1 docks with to make it an Android-based desktop.

Many smartphone makers -- Chinese or otherwise -- often target Apple's iPhone in their marketing and designs, but it's relatively uncommon for them to simultaneously praise and damn the company, much less in front an audience of tens of thousands.

The most prominent company to chase Apple is typically Korean multinational Samsung. The two companies regularly leapfrog each other in features, but the latter is known for ads directly referring to Apple. One recent spot depicts a woman becoming frustrated with her throttled iPhone 6, visiting an Apple store, and eventually buying a Samsung Galaxy S9 instead.
    I like the below comments. It deepens my opinion that Apple is sinking and more isolated from the more opening world-Apple fans still lives in their dominant world dreams.

For example,some people list Apple 40 years history while forgetting Nokia's 150 years' history. Some people think Smartisan fans show up for free lauch while ignoring the fact that Smartisan's ticket revenue is over USD700,000 for this show though all donating to the open source foundations like Openssl. 

The most funny part is that this piece mix Smartisan's R1 and TNT system. What Luo claimed that Apple will copy Smartisan is because of TNT isystem. Obviously this reports try to misleading people using skilled language such the stadium has 80,000 seat while the audience is 37,000. But the fact is, It's a speech in front of people not a Marathon around the stadium,so It's not good to have more people watching his speech on spot. 

Actually i am more crazy abt the Pocket Dealer function. It's an multi - task tool. I doubt Apple will crazy copy Smartisan. lol.

Hate to tell you this, this demo is not new, multi-touch demos like this have been around for a long time. Apple bought the company who pioneer much of this. Multi-touch in a desktop space does not work ie people do not want to use it day in and day out, the use case do not support people wanting to use it. It is just another neat thing to see and use but people are not buying and using it everyday. It like putting a Hammer and Drill together, yes neat idea and some people will like using it but a Hammer and Drill have very specific use cases. People have stop confusing a neat idea with something people will buy and use. Lots of neat ideas have come to market very few actual made companies money.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Eric_in_CTEric_in_CT Posts: 105member
    These "challenges" can be cute and funny in real time, but years later they end up looking pretty bad.

See the Palm CEO who said Apple wasn't going to just walk-in and be better, or the horrible "funeral" ?MS? had for the iPhone when Windows phone came out.

Amateur-Hour indeed.

So enjoy the cute-ness when it happens, and really enjoy the whatever-you-call-it five years later.

E.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 58
    maestro64 said:

Smartisan's Luo Yonghao

Hate to tell you this, this demo is not new, multi-touch demos like this have been around for a long time. Apple bought the company who pioneer much of this. Multi-touch in a desktop space does not work ie people do not want to use it day in and day out, the use case do not support people wanting to use it. It is just another neat thing to see and use but people are not buying and using it everyday. It like putting a Hammer and Drill together, yes neat idea and some people will like using it but a Hammer and Drill have very specific use cases. People have stop confusing a neat idea with something people will buy and use. Lots of neat ideas have come to market very few actual made companies money.
    i don't think you understand this video. You can take a one more time to look at it. What they demonstrate is not the multi touch function. If you still don't understand what they have already made it,maybe It's your time to say Smartisan copied Apple's under table idea.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    spice-boy said:
    Can’t wait to bury Apple? It’s still breathing LOL.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 52 of 58
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    These marketing people aren't exactly forming this idea all on their own. They're getting it from actual users of Apple product, reviewers of Apple product, and commentary by people on forums like this. Because, yes, I think Apple has lost itself, post-Jobs. I'm not the first, the only, or the last Apple customer to feel this way, and there's no need to credit these marketing people for the thought. They're just repeating something they've see others discuss.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:

Smartisan's Luo Yonghao

i don't think you understand this video. You can take a one more time to look at it. What they demonstrate is not the multi touch function. If you still don't understand what they have already made it,maybe It's your time to say Smartisan copied Apple's under table idea.

I got it, it was phone docked into a display and the user were using Multi-touch. Phone dock to display, already done by Motorola, Mutli-touch already done, on a phone and computer. What I found interesting was their GUI mirror that of Apple OSX.  They are just doing what has already been done they just put it all together in a single use case. Back to the Hammer and Drill analogy.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dysamoria said:
    These marketing people aren't exactly forming this idea all on their own. They're getting it from actual users of Apple product, reviewers of Apple product, and commentary by people on forums like this. Because, yes, I think Apple has lost itself, post-Jobs. I'm not the first, the only, or the last Apple customer to feel this way, and there's no need to credit these marketing people for the thought. They're just repeating something they've see others discuss.
    If Apple does not release another breakthrough product in the next 5-8 years, I'd say they have become the new Microsoft. I'm not ready to shut the door on them yet. It's also possible Tim Cook retires and Jeff Williams becomes CEO next. Like I said, it's possible.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 55 of 58
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    lkrupp said:
    mattinoz said:
    cgWerks said:
    Well, we'll see what they can do, I guess. But the reactions from some of the Apple fanboys here sound a bit eerily like comments from Palm and a certain Canadian phone maker before the iPhone showed up.
    Never understood why Palm tanked. They had a great product transitioning in to great product in WebOS. They really should still be around really pushing the agenda if it wasn't for HP.
    Yeah, well, you know, that’s like... ah... your opinion, man. Some think the Amiga should still be around too if it weren’t for Commodore screwing it up. And, like, Xerox should have brought the first GUI computer to market... if it weren’t for Apple stealing it, man.
    Have you used a Xerox photocopier latterly? In my opinion they really just never understood what they had in the GUI. What it was capable of. If they hadn’t  licensed to Apple and let them poach the frustrated staff there might have been a slight delay but it wouldn’t be xerox who made it popular.  Sure just my opinion but what else do you get in forums.

muthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 56 of 58
    T-TRX said:
    this guy, Luo Yonghao. who is actually a descendant of Korean immigrants now living in China, who spiritually believe himself is a Japanese. He admires Japanese culture and Japanese-militarism and really hates his Korean-Chinese identity. He always makes very controversial statements like “Chink are helpless if they don't study hard”,“ Japan is my motherland” things like that, basically everyone in China hates him but he still has some maniac fans. The market share of him Smartisan phone is actually negligible, nowadays he just makes a scene to make himself famous.
    You are a pathetic populist. When someone said “it kills me” or “he's driving me crazy”, do you  really think you are killed or crazy by an evil? You said "Basically everyone in China hates him" while "he still has some maniac fans". You are a pathetic maniac anti-Smartisanist. Anyway pls tell the public the truth loudly: He has 14.7 million fans! Stop manipulating the ignorant.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    Some of Apple's recent innovations like the TouchBar and facial recognition ID are interesting but not moving for me. The HomePod seems a ho-hum first attempt product. I find the Apple Watch a great adjunct product, that I could no longer live without. But a lot of Apple OS tech these days is disruptive for me. I've gotten to the point where I don't want to upgrade it. Apple (and others) know very well how to subtly push you to toss older hardware and buy new by breaking the software. I've been an Apple user since 1985, and have earned much of my income via Apple products, but I think the company needs fresh vision as well. Being thin isn't everything. I miss a variety of ports. I wish Siri worked better. I wish Apple would make a killer WiFi product rather than killing the line. Ditto a printer. Ditto a large monitor. Apple products tend to like other Apple products. It's worth the extra cost to buy compatible and quality tech. Apple is big enough now that it should be able to offer a complete tech solution for people.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 58 of 58
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jasenj1 said:
    Apple was a relatively little company too (in comparison) before the iPhone. The overthrow didn't come from the other big giant players... it almost never does.

Yea, same here... and now I'm starting to finally agree. The *why* is what is important though. The 'Apple is doomed' from the past came out of ignorance. Now, the 'Apple is doomed' is coming from the loyal Apple 'evangelists' who actually understand what made Apple great (which we believe is now lost). That said, given Apple's $$$, brand-strength, etc. it will be a long, slow painful death (with opportunities to course-correct).

spice-boy said:
    Sometimes corporations buy a technology to "kill it". Ever wonder why it took so long to get an electric car?  
    It's called, battery technology. The electric car wasn't feasible until rather recently (still really isn't overall).

These "challenges" can be cute and funny in real time, but years later they end up looking pretty bad.
    See the Palm CEO who said Apple wasn't going to just walk-in and be better, or the horrible "funeral" ?MS? had for the iPhone when Windows phone came out.
    Except you got that a bit in reverse... in this case, Palm would be Apple and this guy is the 'new kid on the block' everyone laughs at.