Apple rejects Steam Link app from App Store, cites breach of guidelines

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    “Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?” - Ripley

The App allowed people to purchase games through the App that would then download to your PC. This is obviously a violation of Apples in-App purchase policies.

But go ahead and keep believing your bullshit conspiracy theories about Apple being anti-competitive.
    guessing you missed this post on page 1 then...

Stephen Nellis (@StephenNellis)
    A small update in the conflict between @steam_games and Apple: Steam now confirms that they had disabled the ability to make purchases in the iOS app. Apple still has not commented on why they rejected Steam's app.

incidentally... Apple's Safari app allows me to purchase things that then download to my PC also; movies, steam games, even playstore apps! Do these rules not apply to apple's own apps too? Dangerous territory there.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 42 of 55
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,147member
    It's a real bummer we miss out on a high quality experience like this for Apples "business reasons". Hopefully enough consumer pushback changes their mind.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member

The App allowed people to purchase games through the App that would then download to your PC. This is obviously a violation of Apples in-App purchase policies.

But go ahead and keep believing your bullshit conspiracy theories about Apple being anti-competitive.
    Meanwhile, the Microsoft Remote Desktop iOS app allows you to open Steam and make a purchase.
    elijahg
  • Reply 44 of 55
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    For those whining, go use Android!
    I am! Apple's walled iOS garden is one of the reasons I do so for mobile and TV. I own my devices and what I want to install on them is my business, not Apple's.

macOS lets me do this (for now) which is why I'm still on the platform that I love since my first Mac Classic.

Only my opinion, but Apple should tier that wall a bit for known, "good" companies like: Steam. Adobe. Microsoft. should get a few more options for their platforms. This is a perfect example, Steam Link is awesome. Stream you favorite game from your high powered "gaming rig" in another room to a handheld in the living room while watching TV. iOS/Android games are nice, but those don't have the power that a computer has for some of them.
    elijahgKITA
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,879administrator
    majorsl said:

Only my opinion, but Apple should tier that wall a bit for known, "good" companies like: Steam. Adobe. Microsoft. should get a few more options for their platforms. This is a perfect example, Steam Link is awesome. Stream you favorite game from your high powered "gaming rig" in another room to a handheld in the living room while watching TV. iOS/Android games are nice, but those don't have the power that a computer has for some of them.
    I can't even fathom the shit-storm that would start, if Apple gave Steam, Adobe, and MS a break on fees.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 55
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    majorsl said:

I can't even fathom the shit-storm that would start, if Apple gave Steam, Adobe, and MS a break on fees.
    No no, not fees. IF this was blocked because they are doing something outside of technology rules, that's what I'm talking about for tiers. Technology ones that are vetted.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

One, Valve says that was disabled. Two, assuming for the sake of argument that Valve isn’t telling the truth how in the world did this app get approved in the first place if it was such an obvious violation of App Store policies? Apple has a bunch of low IQ employees working in app review?
  • Reply 48 of 55
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,487member
    adm1 said:

A small update in the conflict between @steam_games and Apple: Steam now confirms that they had disabled the ability to make purchases in the iOS app. Apple still has not commented on why they rejected Steam's app.

incidentally... Apple's Safari app allows me to purchase things that then download to my PC also; movies, steam games, even playstore apps! Do these rules not apply to apple's own apps too? Dangerous territory there.

No.

But I did see a bunch of others miss this and continue to spew their BS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 55
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,487member
    KITA said:

Meanwhile, the Microsoft Remote Desktop iOS app allows you to open Steam and make a purchase.

Not the same at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 55
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member
    KITA said:

Not the same at all.
    100% the same.

Both of them are just providing a video stream from your computer. None of the purchases made are done in the iOS app, it's literally a video stream from your computer. Once the connection is made, the entire UI is running on your computer.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,879administrator
    adm1 said:

No.

But I did see a bunch of others miss this and continue to spew their BS.
    It isn't completely disabled. We found two ways from within the app to buy games.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 52 of 55
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,280member
    cropr said:
    An end user can take that decision, but for an app development company things are more complicated. 

If you have customers who bought games from you and now you have to tell them: "hey mister customer, I am sorry to say but you are not able to play the games you bought from us on your iDevice, maybe you should move to Android".   Not a nice message to bring.

The main issue with the app approval process is not the technical requirements, but the related business restrictions, where Apple is judge and involved party.  For an app development company the iOS app store is a monopoly service (the mac app store is not), with all the business risks of dealing with a monopoly.

These are computer games. Why would you play them on small devices like iPhones?
    Not relevant.
  • Reply 53 of 55

Siri: doesn’t work with Spotify. Apple blocks them. No reason to do that except wanting to push the Apple Music product. People in cars have to operate their phone in an unsafe way because they can’t use Siri or an interface designed for car use.

Waze or Google Maps: similar issue; they can’t get on Carplay. It’s anti competitive behavior and I don’t like it a single bit. Arrogance.

Their App Store is so successful that it’s becoming an industry issue. It’s bigger than Apple and their customers. Industry issues come with industry responsibilities. It’s like the VOC from the past (East Indian company). They were basically the first trillion dollar company in the world. Essentially a country. That’s not a company anymore and therefore needs to be regulated differently. When companies greatly  affect elections, politics, digital culture it becomes a different matter.

What needs to happen - and this is a long way - is a decentralized, blockchain marketplace. No centralized owner. 

Where sellers can directly sell to buyers without having to pay 30% to Apple, a percentage that is insultingly high and worked 10 years ago, but not now. 

And if a buyer then resells the game to another user, the original author can benefit as well. A platform owner (Apple, google) could get a cut as well, within reason. E.g 3-5%.

Democratized governing to change the protocol.

Apps being memory/security locked inside smart contracts and provisioning models, maybe vetted by master nodes and fellow users of the store, ranking up in the list as the app is proving to be safe and of high quality.

The technology is there. Gaining traction is what’s hard.

And if this revolution needs to happen on Android because Apple doesn’t want it, then let it happen. It will be the moment I switch to Android for sure, as they are already catching up on many levels. With enough traction it’s either joining or come up with an answer.

• Reply 54 of 55
    KaylynGamingKaylynGaming Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    To be honest this makes me want to leave apple for something like the one plus six and maybe even a samsung tab I have been a big fan of apples for a while and I realize that these outperform apple now. This is just the icing on the cake making me want to leave them. I just might so don't say just do it.
    CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 55 of 55
    To be honest this makes me want to leave apple for something like the one plus six and maybe even a samsung tab I have been a big fan of apples for a while and I realize that these outperform apple now. This is just the icing on the cake making me want to leave them. I just might so don't say just do it.
    Thinking the same. Not to leave Apple, but lately I have been impressed with using Google Drive and their entire productivy suite our company moved to, as well as the latest Android version. The user experience isn’t still quite as good as Apple, but you can see they are improving faster as Apple is, polishing things and ‘de-bloating’ the operating system. It’s actually becoming a nice experience. Add better hardware on top of that and knowing Google is working on an entire new OS, makes me curious in using Android a second device.

A lot of people here are simply dismissing a Google (“Apple sells your data! They are evil!”) but the truth isn’t that simple. If you use their productivity suite for your business they are not selling your data. In fact a lot of enterprise companies like Airbus are moving to their suite and you bet they did their due dilligence prior to making such a huge decision.