Android Xiaomi Mi 8 shamelessly copies iPhone X

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei has just announced what it is calling a major breakthrough in smartphone technology claiming X2 graphics performance over the Mi 8 and up to 30% energy savings.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/06/honor-play-announced-with-gpu-turbo-4d-gaming-kirin-970.html

Over  the coming days I suppose we'll find out what has really changed and if the numbers hold up.

So far, some are claiming that certain games are performing better on mid range Honor (Huawei's sub brand) phones than on iPhone X. Others are claiming that Mali over clocking is involved. Either way, it's clear the devil will be in the details.

You make me laugh...a lot...
    Laugh all you want but if the numbers play out, this is very newsworthy.

A phone that is retailing for just $310 with a Kirin 970 SoC and turbo GPU.

Put another way, a cheap, large screen phone that has managed to squeeze out more gaming performance in some games than an iPhone X, capable of real time detection of scenes in games (to apply on-the-fly effects), histen audio, far better modem and far better battery tech.

That is for the Honor Play alone and for just $310. If you lean towards gaming it might pique your interest at the very least.

Beyond that, the turbo GPU improvements will be available to other, already released phones, including the Honor 7X. That is a $199 phone and although the release information stated up to 60% gains with less power consumption, at least one Honor phone has shown a 77% gain.

If the numbers stand up to independent scrutiny, this will be a major advance.

Huawei has already put a value on this achievement: 10 billion dollars.

They obviously think it has legs and have stated that it will move beyond gaming applications into AR, VR and other applications.

It isn't what you think it is.

It's likely just Huawei's equivalent of Apple's Metal or MS's Direct X, which is something newsworthy, but not groundbreaking by any stretch.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei has just announced what it is calling a major breakthrough in smartphone technology claiming X2 graphics performance over the Mi 8 and up to 30% energy savings.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/06/honor-play-announced-with-gpu-turbo-4d-gaming-kirin-970.html

Over  the coming days I suppose we'll find out what has really changed and if the numbers hold up.

So far, some are claiming that certain games are performing better on mid range Honor (Huawei's sub brand) phones than on iPhone X. Others are claiming that Mali over clocking is involved. Either way, it's clear the devil will be in the details.

Put another way, a cheap, large screen phone that has managed to squeeze out more gaming performance in some games than an iPhone X, capable of real time detection of scenes in games (to apply on-the-fly effects), histen audio, far better modem and far better battery tech.

That is for the Honor Play alone and for just $310. If you lean towards gaming it might pique your interest at the very least.

Beyond that, the turbo GPU improvements will be available to other, already released phones, including the Honor 7X. That is a $199 phone and although the release information stated up to 60% gains with less power consumption, at least one Honor phone has shown a 77% gain.

They obviously think it has legs and have stated that it will move beyond gaming applications into AR, VR and other applications.

It's likely just Huawei's equivalent of Apple's Metal or MS's Direct X, which is something newsworthy, but not groundbreaking by any stretch.
    Strange that the first line of your reply categorically states that it isn't what I think it is (leading me to believe you somehow do know what it is) but then you quickly state what it likely is.

I can categorically state that neither of us knows what it is and I have made no attempt to say exactly what it is anyway. I have simply passed on the news, virtually as is.

As for Metal or Direct X, yes it is possible but how it is done isn't really the issue for the user. The user is only interested in the results.

So far, I have seen comments claiming that the $310 Honor Play is squeezing more out of some games than an iPhone X.

I have read that the system is analysing game play to detect actions such as shots and explosions and apply effects in real time and consuming less power while doing all this.

That, IMO is very newsworthy for varying reasons, not least because this 'cheap' phone is besting an iPhone X in some key areas.

As I clearly stated. This must be scrutinised independently to verify the claims but as of today the claims are pretty impressive.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Strange that the first line of your reply categorically states that it isn't what I think it is (leading me to believe you somehow do know what it is) but then you quickly state what it likely is.

I can categorically state that neither of us knows what it is and I have made no attempt to say exactly what it is anyway. I have simply passed on the news, virtually as is.

As for Metal or Direct X, yes it is possible but how it is done isn't really the issue for the user. The user is only interested in the results.

So far, I have seen comments claiming that the $310 Honor Play is squeezing more out of some games than an iPhone X.

I have read that the system is analysing game play to detect actions such as shots and explosions and apply effects in real time and consuming less power while doing all this.

That, IMO is very newsworthy for varying reasons, not least because this 'cheap' phone is besting an iPhone X in some key areas.

As I clearly stated. This must be scrutinised independently to verify the claims but as of today the claims are pretty impressive.
    "Honor Play is basically a gaming centric phone and GPU Turbo technology makes it very special in the market. The revolutionary GPU Turbo technology increases graphic processing efficiency to 60% with 30% reduction in power consumption.

As claimed by the company*, Honor Play beats other flagship phones like iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi8 and even Mi Mix 2S in better gaming experience. So this new device will let you enjoy better and enhanced gaming with GPU Turbo technology and 4D gaming.Honor Play is basically a gaming centric phone and GPU Turbo technology makes it very special in the market. The revolutionary GPU Turbo technology increases graphic processing efficiency to 60% with 30% reduction in power consumption.

As claimed by the company, Honor Play beats other flagship phones like iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi8 and even Mi Mix 2S in better gaming experience. So this new device will let you enjoy better and enhanced gaming with GPU Turbo technology and 4D gaming."

It's just a phone tweaked to a gaming rig, very light on details, and heavy on marketing. It would make a poor daily driver for most people.

Nothing to see here.

*claims that likely require a program customized for the Honor Play.

edited June 2018
  • Reply 104 of 111
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

"Honor Play is basically a gaming centric phone and GPU Turbo technology makes it very special in the market. The revolutionary GPU Turbo technology increases graphic processing efficiency to 60% with 30% reduction in power consumption.

As claimed by the company*, Honor Play beats other flagship phones like iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi8 and even Mi Mix 2S in better gaming experience. So this new device will let you enjoy better and enhanced gaming with GPU Turbo technology and 4D gaming.Honor Play is basically a gaming centric phone and GPU Turbo technology makes it very special in the market. The revolutionary GPU Turbo technology increases graphic processing efficiency to 60% with 30% reduction in power consumption.

As claimed by the company, Honor Play beats other flagship phones like iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi8 and even Mi Mix 2S in better gaming experience. So this new device will let you enjoy better and enhanced gaming with GPU Turbo technology and 4D gaming."

It's just a phone tweaked to a gaming rig, very light on details, and heavy on marketing. It would make a poor daily driver for most people.

Nothing to see here.

No. The Kirin 970 SoC has little to do with gaming per se. In spite of leaning towards gaming from one perspective, the Honor Play still brings with it the NPU, one of the best modems available and a great battery with fast charging.

That makes it an amazing option for the bargain price, whether you like gaming or not and the technology will be made available on a slew of older phones too that have no gaming leanings at all. That means even occasional gamers will (theoretically) see the benefits too

I agree that the proof is in the pudding but I made that clear from the outset. In fact 90% of your post was presenting exactly what I have already posted.

The main difference is the 'nothing to see' comment and the suggestion that the games had been tuned to the phone.

Given that the Play (a low cost phone) is already pushing Apple's (Metal laden) flagship phone on some games while including the Kirin 970, I'd say there is a lot to see here.

Add on to that, that this tech is going to propagate up and down the lines of both Honor and Huawei and that it will also be applied to other, non-gaming, areas in the future, and you should see that it is a potential big deal.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

No. The Kirin 970 SoC has little to do with gaming per se. In spite of leaning towards gaming from one perspective, the Honor Play still brings with it the NPU, one of the best modems available and a great battery with fast charging.

That makes it an amazing option for the bargain price, whether you like gaming or not and the technology will be made available on a slew of older phones too that have no gaming leanings at all. That means even occasional gamers will (theoretically) see the benefits too

I agree that the proof is in the pudding but I made that clear from the outset. In fact 90% of your post was presenting exactly what I have already posted.

The main difference is the 'nothing to see' comment and the suggestion that the games had been tuned to the phone.

Given that the Play (a low cost phone) is already pushing Apple's (Metal laden) flagship phone on some games while including the Kirin 970, I'd say there is a lot to see here.

Add on to that, that this tech is going to propagate up and down the lines of both Honor and Huawei and that it will also be applied to other, non-gaming, areas in the future, and you should see that it is a potential big deal.
    Your post above is a perfect case of FUD.

"Given that the Play is already pushing Apple's (Metal laden" flagship phone on some games"

Links please. 
  • Reply 106 of 111
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

"Given that the Play is already pushing Apple's (Metal laden" flagship phone on some games"

Links please. 
    Links?

How about a link to what you yourself quoted?

"As claimed by the company, Honor Play beats other flagship phones like iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi8 and even Mi Mix 2S in better gaming experience. So this new device will let you enjoy better and enhanced gaming with GPU Turbo technology and 4D gaming."

Wherever you took that from would  suffice. No?

The Metal reference was taken from your post too. You said the Turbo feature was likely something similar to Metal. My point is that Metal isn't the question here but rather that a low end phone was performing so well in some games against Apple's highest end device (even with metal onboard) and throwing a Kirin 970 into the bargain and that the technology would eventually reach all Kirin 970 devices and extend into other areas. In fact it would even reach some $199 phones with other Kirin SoCs.

That's why I said it was newsworthy.

As you can see, no FUD anywhere to be seen.

• Reply 107 of 111
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

Links please. 
    Links?

"As claimed by the company, Honor Play beats other flagship phones like iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi8 and even Mi Mix 2S in better gaming experience. So this new device will let you enjoy better and enhanced gaming with GPU Turbo technology and 4D gaming."

The Metal reference was taken from your post too. You said the Turbo feature was likely something similar to Metal. My point is that Metal isn't the question here but rather that a low end phone was performing so well in some games against Apple's highest end device (even with metal onboard) and throwing a Kirin 970 into the bargain and that the technology would eventually reach all Kirin 970 devices and extend into other areas. In fact it would even reach some $199 phones with other Kirin SoCs.

What a great independent source! 
    Huawei itself! 
    Nobody could possibly imagine that Huawei would be the final arbitrator of benchmarks.

"Honor was able to achieve this by restructuring the traditional graphics framework at a lower level than simple software features. GPU Turbo relies on hardware-software integrated GPU acceleration to change how the GPU handles graphics processing. In turn, this not only improves the overall performance of the GPU, but it also improves power efficiency to a certain extent."

Essentially, Huawei's version of Metal tightly coupled with an A series processor. No word on how one develops for it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/honor-play-gpu-turbo-honor-9i/

edited June 2018
  • Reply 108 of 111
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

Links please. 
    Links?

Huawei itself! 
    Nobody could possibly imagine that Huawei would be the final arbitrator of benchmarks.

Ehem. You do realise that the technology was only announced yesterday.

Where do you think I could get such official information?

Why do you think I filled my posts with phrases like "if it stands up to independent scrutiny"?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 109 of 111
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

Links please. 
    Links?

Huawei itself! 

Why do you think I filled my posts with phrases like "if it stands up to independent scrutiny"?
    Only announced yesterday, and already you were posting, as you always do on AI, the marketing of Huawei.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

Links please. 
    Links?

Huawei itself! 

Only announced yesterday, and already you were posting, as you always do on AI, the marketing of Huawei.
    I mentioned it because it was newsworthy. I mentioned it because both Xiaomi and Apple popped up in the comparisons. From there I have simply responded to your very ill-informed comments and usual accusations.
    singularity
  • Reply 111 of 111
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Nothing to see here.

Links please. 
    Links?

Huawei itself! 

I mentioned it because it was newsworthy. I mentioned it because both Xiaomi and Apple popped up in the comparisons. From there I have simply responded to your very ill-informed comments and usual accusations.
    I'll stop commenting until I see some third party analysis.

anandtech would be a good place to have this settled. 
    edited June 2018