Apple has new dark mode, Apple News app planned for macOS 10.14 [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Does dark mode mean that MacBooks will soon be sporting OLED or microLED screens?
    ..There's no net loss for setting it up for LCDs at this time.
    Except for battery life.
    Unless Apple is switching its displays to OLED (Which I highly doubt for cost reasons) then a dark interface wouldn't save any battery life. Only OLED turns off the pixels to make black which is what makes the blacks blacker on an OLED screen. LED screens used on Macs today don't do this. Maybe you're thinking it uses less power to make black? I still don't see any significant gains in battery life there if this happened to be true. 
    Alex1Nuraharadysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,334member
    I’m gonna go ahead and confirm (or, you know, whatever) that 10.14 is called Mojave. Look at the desktop image. Dunes and rock formations. How much do you want to bet that it’s a nighttime shot of the Mojave Desert (expressly chosen to highlight dark mode)?
    I can’t make out enough of the image to tell ... but it bears some resemblance to dusk photos I’ve taken from the mountains overlooking Lake Tahoe. 
    tallest skilAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 62

entropys said:
    I reallly don’t understand why people use news apps.  You are letting someone else curate and decide what information you get.  The road to serfdom indeed.
    I can pick the sites I want to read the news from and the types of articles I want to read news about and get it all in one app instead of sorting through 10 websites manually. Essentially, I'm reading the same news I'd be reading anyways from the same website without having to go to each individual website to get it. 
    Rayz2016StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 62
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Does dark mode mean that MacBooks will soon be sporting OLED or microLED screens?
    Except for battery life.
    Unless Apple is switching its displays to OLED (Which I highly doubt for cost reasons) then a dark interface wouldn't save any battery life. Only OLED turns off the pixels to make black which is what makes the blacks blacker on an OLED screen. LED screens used on Macs today don't do this. Maybe you're thinking it uses less power to make black? I still don't see any significant gains in battery life there if this happened to be true. 
    I might be wrong but I think he was referring to microLED displays, which work the same as OLED.
    ireland
  • Reply 25 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    I might be wrong but I think he was referring to microLED displays, which work the same as OLED.
    If you're referring to me, I thought my comment was clear. There's no net loss for Apple setting up Dark Mode today for microLED in some future release. Your comment, which says "except for battery life" reads that there is a net loss in battery life for having Dark Mode enabled on a LCD display.

PS: Can we really say OLED work the same as microLED? The reason why microLED is a step up from OLED are because of how it works differently from OLED.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 62
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    If you're referring to me, I thought my comment was clear. There's no net loss for Apple setting up Dark Mode today for microLED in some future release. Your comment, which says "except for battery life" reads that there is a net loss in battery life for having Dark Mode enabled on a LCD display.
    haha, yes I was. LCD displays do use more power when displaying dark colors, which in turn uses more battery cycles thus reducing battery life.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Does anyone use the news app?

it seems very contrived in terms of the articles available and promotion. Like big brother trying to steer your views. 

Guess ill I’ll stick with my daily 5 staples and leave the narrative spinning to those who don’t mind. 

I know of no no one who uses it as an actual source of news. 
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    haha, yes I was. LCD displays do use more power when displaying dark colors, which in turn uses more battery cycles thus reducing battery life.
    I thought the major power draw with LCD displays is the backlight. What's the power usage range for a pixels to display colors between white and black?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 62
    I do. I see trending headlines on my lockscreen and will go into the app that way. I can't say I ever go into the app directly without first using the lockscreen "widget," but I'd say that's still the app.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 30 of 62

it seems very contrived in terms of the articles available and promotion. Like big brother trying to steer your views. 

Guess ill I’ll stick with my daily 5 staples and leave the narrative spinning to those who don’t mind. 

I use it everyday...I think it works great. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Existing MacBook LCD displays are backlit with LEDs. The power dissipated is not dependent on what is displayed, white, black, or in between. OLED and microLED display technology is not backlit--the individual pixels light up to create the display. The whiter and brighter the image, the more power required. Therefore, darker displays conserve power. If this dark scheme is available in the new release I suspect it is foreshadowing new display technology now or in the not too distant future.

I think it's inevitable that Apple will eventually migrate MacBook displays to OLED and/or microLED to conserve display power. This will probably start at the same time that they switch to an ARM based CPU to conserve even more power. Since the display and CPU are the primary power consumers, these changes will allow a significantly smaller battery. This will result in a new line of MacBooks that are even thinner than the existing models. I also wouldn't be surprised if they ran Mac OS as well as enabled iOS apps on a touchscreen display to create a hybrid MacBook/iPad.

Personally, I would love a MacBook that's the size of an iPad Pro with a real keyboard and touchscreen that runs Mac OS and also runs iOS apps. One machine for all laptop and iPad uses. Remember, you read it here first.
    evilutionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 62
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    entropys said:
    I reallly don’t understand why people use news apps.  You are letting someone else curate and decide what information you get.  The road to serfdom indeed.
    I don’t use Apple news that much but what I’ve found is I can pretty much follow all the news sources I’m interested in so the majority of the curation is done by me,
    matrix077Alex1N
  • Reply 33 of 62
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    entropys said:
    It’s like RSS but much better (visually & everything else). It collects all the news it thinks you’ll love in one place, easily access to video news, plus highlight news from Apple editors are always top notch. What’s not to like?

Using it everyday & it’s now my most news consumption app, dethroning Twitter. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 62
    matrix077 said:
    entropys said:
    It’s like RSS but much better (visually & everything else). It collects all the news it thinks you’ll love in one place, easily access to video news, plus highlight news from Apple editors are always top notch. What’s not to like?

Using it everyday & it’s now my most news consumption app, dethroning Twitter. 
    I understand where @entropys is coming from, but I get news from all sides and sources in their widget.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    Hey! Back to the old CGA/VGA colour-scheme screens of yore! In higher resolution, for course...
  • Reply 36 of 62
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    hexclock said:
    mattinoz said:
    I just don’t get the hype about dark mode UI.
    Still I did read Apple to release dark mode news and thought well that’s fitting of the times. 
    It’s not hype, just a preference that many people, including me, would lke to see implemented. 
    I also want MacOS to give me Window Shade back, but I’m not holding my breath. 
    It looks cool and has been popular in developer IDE's for many years (which why I think this leak might be about xcode only), but from an ergonomical and usability  point of view it is a really bad idea (unless your in a dark room - again, it may make sense in an IDE or a TV HMI).
  • Reply 37 of 62
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    entropys said:
    As opposed to newspapers who curate the news that you see? Or the TV news which curate the news you see?

I’d much rather one news app that curates news from a number of sources but at the moment I’ve literally got 6 apps one of which is Flipboard which curates the news I see but does a poor job that I need 5 other apps. It might work well if you’re in America but south of the Equator it seems to be lacking.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

First thing I check when I wake up in the morning. If you can’t figure out how to use it properly then it’s best you avoid it. 
    edited June 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 39 of 62
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Except for battery life.
    Nope, try again.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    This is not clear. Depending on the kind of LCD display (not including area dimming displays) an LCD computer monitor may use slightly less or more power when showing black. It’s not clear here, but it’s not significant either way. We will have to wait for micro-LED notebook displays to consume less power—while spending more money ;-)
    dysamoria