Apple has new dark mode, Apple News app planned for macOS 10.14 [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Existing MacBook LCD displays are backlit with LEDs. The power dissipated is not dependent on what is displayed, white, black, or in between. OLED and microLED display technology is not backlit--the individual pixels light up to create the display. The whiter and brighter the image, the more power required. Therefore, darker displays conserve power. If this dark scheme is available in the new release I suspect it is foreshadowing new display technology now or in the not too distant future.

I think it's inevitable that Apple will eventually migrate MacBook displays to OLED and/or microLED to conserve display power. This will probably start at the same time that they switch to an ARM based CPU to conserve even more power. Since the display and CPU are the primary power consumers, these changes will allow a significantly smaller battery. This will result in a new line of MacBooks that are even thinner than the existing models. I also wouldn't be surprised if they ran Mac OS as well as enabled iOS apps on a touchscreen display to create a hybrid MacBook/iPad.

Personally, I would love a MacBook that's the size of an iPad Pro with a real keyboard and touchscreen that runs Mac OS and also runs iOS apps. One machine for all laptop and iPad uses. Remember, you read it here first.
    Yes because this comment was an original idea and you absolutely no basis for such a claim, like the rumored iOS App on Mac compatibility coming, lol.

I do hope myself though they keep the battery the current size for a while longer and use those CPU/display gains to increase battery life to 16+ hours.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Does dark mode mean that MacBooks will soon be sporting OLED or microLED screens?
    ..There's no net loss for setting it up for LCDs at this time.
    Except for battery life.
    Unless Apple is switching its displays to OLED (Which I highly doubt for cost reasons) then a dark interface wouldn't save any battery life. Only OLED turns off the pixels to make black which is what makes the blacks blacker on an OLED screen. LED screens used on Macs today don't do this. Maybe you're thinking it uses less power to make black? I still don't see any significant gains in battery life there if this happened to be true. 
    I might be wrong but I think he was referring to microLED displays, which work the same as OLED.
    If you're referring to me, I thought my comment was clear. There's no net loss for Apple setting up Dark Mode today for microLED in some future release. Your comment, which says "except for battery life" reads that there is a net loss in battery life for having Dark Mode enabled on a LCD display.
    haha, yes I was. LCD displays do use more power when displaying dark colors, which in turn uses more battery cycles thus reducing battery life.
    I thought the major power draw with LCD displays is the backlight. What's the power usage range for a pixels to display colors between white and black?
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Does dark mode mean that MacBooks will soon be sporting OLED or microLED screens?
    Except for battery life.
    Unless Apple is switching its displays to OLED (Which I highly doubt for cost reasons) then a dark interface wouldn't save any battery life. Only OLED turns off the pixels to make black which is what makes the blacks blacker on an OLED screen. LED screens used on Macs today don't do this. Maybe you're thinking it uses less power to make black? I still don't see any significant gains in battery life there if this happened to be true. 
    I might be wrong but I think he was referring to microLED displays, which work the same as OLED.
    If you're referring to me, I thought my comment was clear. There's no net loss for Apple setting up Dark Mode today for microLED in some future release. Your comment, which says "except for battery life" reads that there is a net loss in battery life for having Dark Mode enabled on a LCD display.
    haha, yes I was. LCD displays do use more power when displaying dark colors, which in turn uses more battery cycles thus reducing battery life.
    This is not clear. Depending on the kind of LCD display (not including area dimming displays) an LCD computer monitor may use slightly less or more power when showing black. It’s not clear here, but it’s not significant either way. We will have to wait for micro-LED notebook displays to consume less power—while spending more money ;-)
    The draw comes from supplying power to the electrodes that block the light. The stronger the polarizing crystals, the darker the blacks. As Ireland has noted, the power draw from the polarizing process is not as significant, between 5 and 10% of the total display draw. On TVs it is even lower between 3 and 4%.

Having said that, some LCD TVs do draw more power when displaying whites, but that's only because they dynamically increase the brightness for effect, or sometimes the brightness sensor is too close to the screen :smiley: 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 43 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    I thought the major power draw with LCD displays is the backlight. What's the power usage range for a pixels to display colors between white and black?
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    This is not clear. Depending on the kind of LCD display (not including area dimming displays) an LCD computer monitor may use slightly less or more power when showing black. It’s not clear here, but it’s not significant either way. We will have to wait for micro-LED notebook displays to consume less power—while spending more money ;-)
    The draw comes from supplying power to the electrodes that block the light. The stronger the polarizing crystals, the darker the blacks. As Ireland has noted, the power draw from the polarizing process is not as significant, between 5 and 10% of the total display draw. On TVs it is even lower between 3 and 4%.

Having said that, some LCD TVs do draw more power when displaying whites, but that's only because they dynamically increase the brightness for effect, or sometimes the brightness sensor is too close to the screen :smiley: 
    "5 and 10% of the total display draw" sounds significant to me. If we tested a 15" MBP with just displaying black on screen until it turned off and just displaying white until it turned off, I'd like to know how much time difference that is.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 44 of 62
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Assuming ‘dark mode’ is offered as a user preference, then yay for whoever wants it, but I find that light type on dark backgrounds is hard to read and that I experience a very uncomfortable lingering after-image. I don’t think my experience is unique. One might imagine that, in considering implementation of a ‘dark mode,’ Apple is looking at ways to address issues like that. Perhaps there are ways to minimize the negative effects. You know for a fact that, despite others already offering ‘dark mode,’ if Apple rolls it out and some people complain of the effects I experience, it will become a ‘scandal,’ with people calling for Tim Cook’s head and lamenting that Steve Jobs would never have done this.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    IreneW said:
    hexclock said:
    mattinoz said:
    I just don’t get the hype about dark mode UI.
    Still I did read Apple to release dark mode news and thought well that’s fitting of the times. 
    It’s not hype, just a preference that many people, including me, would lke to see implemented. 
    I also want MacOS to give me Window Shade back, but I’m not holding my breath. 
    It looks cool and has been popular in developer IDE's for many years (which why I think this leak might be about xcode only), but from an ergonomical and usability  point of view it is a really bad idea (unless your in a dark room - again, it may make sense in an IDE or a TV HMI).
    Yeah, I had not really considered the ergonomics angle, but I really liked when they darkened the Logic UI, and wouldn’t mind that option for Finder and such. A toggle and a slider to adjust things would be great and leave it to the individual to set it as they like. 
  • Reply 46 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I just want iOS to stop blinding me. iOS from version 7 and on have been stupid amounts of flat, blank, whitespace. When I am indoors, and especially when I get up in the middle of the night, or morning, I don't want my eyes blasted with bright white light. iOS 6 and earlier were fine (and nicer looking overall).

My desktop needs are a bit different. I don't need a dark mode as often (though, when working with photography, it's absolutely a preference).
  • Reply 47 of 62
    dysamoria said:
    I just want iOS to stop blinding me. iOS from version 7 and on have been stupid amounts of flat, blank, whitespace. When I am indoors, and especially when I get up in the middle of the night, or morning, I don't want my eyes blasted with bright white light. iOS 6 and earlier were fine (and nicer looking overall).

My desktop needs are a bit different. I don't need a dark mode as often (though, when working with photography, it's absolutely a preference).
    I assume you have Night Mode set on a daily timer. How about setting up Smart Invert so that you can tap the Home Button 3x (not sure how to call it on the iPhone X) to get the option to enable that feature?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 48 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    entropys said:
    I reallly don’t understand why people use news apps.  You are letting someone else curate and decide what information you get.  The road to serfdom indeed.
    What do you think editors at your preferred news source do?

An app like News aggregates from many different sources into one reader. You can define the sources. Try it some time before criticizing it. 
  • Reply 49 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This person can pretty much guarantee his Developer Account will be suspended if that is in fact his developer account and not a screenshot from someone else's who had early access to macOS 10.14. 
  • Reply 50 of 62
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    Does anyone use the news app?

it seems very contrived in terms of the articles available and promotion. Like big brother trying to steer your views. 

Guess ill I’ll stick with my daily 5 staples and leave the narrative spinning to those who don’t mind. 

I know of no no one who uses it as an actual source of news. 
    The news app on the phone, every single day. In 2016 the app was used by 40 million people, according to Apple,  I’m sure that number has more than doubled by now 
  • Reply 51 of 62
    We have gathered the developer community together for our biggest developer conference, behold what the best engineers have inovated...... More Emoji, a change in color scheme and a news app. So basically no one has any news about anything relevant to a “DEVELOPER” conference. 

• Reply 52 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    We have gathered the developer community together for our biggest developer conference, behold what the best engineers have inovated...... More Emoji, a change in color scheme and a news app. So basically no one has any news about anything relevant to a “DEVELOPER” conference. 
    Apple does really well at keeping its developer content under wraps until the keynote. Expect Swift 5 (I think it’s 5), at least.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 53 of 62
    We have gathered the developer community together for our biggest developer conference, behold what the best engineers have inovated...... More Emoji, a change in color scheme and a news app.
    Does Apple "engineer" new emoji? I know it goes through Unicode's process and that Apple's a vendor, but anyone can propose a new pictograph.

Is that really what you expect from WWDC? I find it more revealing than any other event Apple has during the year. Sure, HW tends to be more flashy than code for the masses, but all the changes they demo take weeks to months for me to get through but the September event I can take in that day.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 54 of 62
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member

90% of the interesting stuff is not in the keynote and is more likely in the what’s new sessions. Very little of that gets coverage beyond a tweet, blog or tutorial.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 55 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple does really well at keeping its developer content under wraps until the keynote. Expect Swift 5 (I think it’s 5), at least.
    Much easier with software as you don't have 15 suppliers to leak all of the information. All we have now is some pissant developer (or someone who works inside Apple) who supposedly leaked macOS 10.14. 
  • Reply 56 of 62
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    AppleZulu said:
    Assuming ‘dark mode’ is offered as a user preference, then yay for whoever wants it, but I find that light type on dark backgrounds is hard to read and that I experience a very uncomfortable lingering after-image. I don’t think my experience is unique. One might imagine that, in considering implementation of a ‘dark mode,’ Apple is looking at ways to address issues like that. Perhaps there are ways to minimize the negative effects. You know for a fact that, despite others already offering ‘dark mode,’ if Apple rolls it out and some people complain of the effects I experience, it will become a ‘scandal,’ with people calling for Tim Cook’s head and lamenting that Steve Jobs would never have done this.
    That’s quite interesting because most people actually find black on white to be tiring.

A mate of mine has had issues reading his entire life. He took the Irlens test a couple of years ago and found a yellow tint fixed all that for him. His reading became noticably better.

It’s more common this phenomenon than you’d think as well.

Personally speaking white/light grey on black is much easier for me to read and I can read significantly longer like this.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Rumor has it all leakers working at Apple have been rounded up and executed.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    As long as 10.14 runs on the same machines as 10.13, I'll be happy.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    eightzero said:
    As long as 10.14 runs on the same machines as 10.13, I'll be happy.
    It’ll have to; they refuse to update most of their products.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    hexclock said:
    mattinoz said:
    I just don’t get the hype about dark mode UI.
    Still I did read Apple to release dark mode news and thought well that’s fitting of the times. 
    It’s not hype, just a preference that many people, including me, would like to see implemented. 
    I also want MacOS to give me Window Shade back, but I’m not holding my breath. 
    Still there in stickies.