Benchmarks hint at MacBook Pro with Intel's powerful six-core Core i7-8750H

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,156administrator
    KITA said:
    Huh. Not sure why I read that as i9. Just the same, there are other things wrong with the benchmark, not the least of which is that processor on 10.13.4.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    KITA said:
    Huh. Not sure why I read that as i9. Just the same, there are other things wrong with the benchmark, not the least of which is that processor on 10.13.4.
    And would they really continue using identifier "MacBookPro14,3"? Don't even basic spec bumps get an extra integer added to the end?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 23 of 50
    chelinchelin Posts: 76member
    Nice last time I got a MacBook was back in 2013.. finally time for upgrade
  • Reply 24 of 50

    dempson said:
     If it is using DDR4 it must be desktop memory, since the Core i7-8750H doesn't support LPDDR4. That suggests a new motherboard and structural changes to cope with more heat produced by the memory." 
    -No, u mean they would be using either regular voltage laptop RAM, or two soldered modules of 16GB of Low Powered DDR4. 
    It is not a heat issue, but space for the battery issue in the latter possibility and slightly more power draw.

    LPDD4 is not supported by the current crop of i9 i7 processors. It would have to be regular DDR4, with all that entails.
    Oh, yeah I meant LPDDR3
  • Reply 25 of 50
    dawnofmeowdawnofmeow Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,073member
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 28 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    Intel mobile processors for the MBP that support LPDDR4 are now becoming available so why do you think Apple would not be using LPDDR4 in 4 years, or even with the next spec bump to applicable Intel processors?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 29 of 50
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,566member

    dempson said:
     If it is using DDR4 it must be desktop memory, since the Core i7-8750H doesn't support LPDDR4. That suggests a new motherboard and structural changes to cope with more heat produced by the memory." 
    -No, u mean they would be using either regular voltage laptop RAM, or two soldered modules of 16GB of Low Powered DDR4. 
    It is not a heat issue, but space for the battery issue in the latter possibility and slightly more power draw.

    LPDD4 is not supported by the current crop of i9 i7 processors. It would have to be regular DDR4, with all that entails.
    But could be Optane DDR4 if the machine isn't going to be released till much later in the year.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,073member
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    Intel mobile processors for the MBP that support LPDDR4 are now becoming available so why do you think Apple would not be using LPDDR4 in 4 years, or even with the next spec bump to applicable Intel processors?
    Which one?  Either i7-8750H, 8850H and 8950HK are not supporting LPDDR4.  Not even the low-power U and Xeon Mobile.  If you ask about the future, well they just announced that “14nm will be leading the next 12-18 month days ago, If you want to have a refresh then, that’s the fourth time.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 31 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    Intel mobile processors for the MBP that support LPDDR4 are now becoming available so why do you think Apple would not be using LPDDR4 in 4 years, or even with the next spec bump to applicable Intel processors?
    Which one?  Either i7-8750H, 8850H and 8950HK are not supporting LPDDR4.  Not even the low-power U and Xeon Mobile.
    As previously stated, Cannon Lake will support LPDDR4, which looks to be coming in about 6 months. I can't even imagine why you think that it would be delayed for 4 or more years.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 32 of 50
    readyplyrtrumpreadyplyrtrump Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Why are people saying it isn’t true? Don’t you guys want a new MBP? I really need one as my current 2015 model blew out its monitor this week. I *really* need them to do an update so I don’t have to buy the current line. What are the real chances of an update tomorrow? 60%? 70%
  • Reply 33 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    Why are people saying it isn’t true? Don’t you guys want a new MBP?
    Why assume that people questioning the validity of something also don't want something to be true? People that are open to the truth are willing to accept it regardless of what it is and actually look for answers regardless of their personal desires.

    I really need one as my current 2015 model blew out its monitor this week. I *really* need them to do an update so I don’t have to buy the current line. What are the real chances of an update tomorrow? 60%? 70%
    The good news is the latest shipping Mac will definitely be available tomorrow. 100% guaranteed.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 34 of 50
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,073member
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    Intel mobile processors for the MBP that support LPDDR4 are now becoming available so why do you think Apple would not be using LPDDR4 in 4 years, or even with the next spec bump to applicable Intel processors?
    Which one?  Either i7-8750H, 8850H and 8950HK are not supporting LPDDR4.  Not even the low-power U and Xeon Mobile.
    As previously stated, Cannon Lake will support LPDDR4, which looks to be coming in about 6 months. I can't even imagine why you think that it would be delayed for 4 or more years.
    Actually, 10nm volume production is delayed to next year at best.
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_discusses_10nm_future_14nm_plans_and_spectre/1

    And so, therefore we’re comfortable with the 14-nanometer roadmap that will give us leadership products in the next 12 to 18 months, as we seek to optimize the cost structure and yields of our 10-nanometer portfolio.”

    that suggests another 14nm refresh within the next 12-18 month, then finally with 10nm, which the latter will be another year and half.  We can see some core M and core i3 being produced, but then it’s not “volume production”.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 35 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    Intel mobile processors for the MBP that support LPDDR4 are now becoming available so why do you think Apple would not be using LPDDR4 in 4 years, or even with the next spec bump to applicable Intel processors?
    Which one?  Either i7-8750H, 8850H and 8950HK are not supporting LPDDR4.  Not even the low-power U and Xeon Mobile.
    As previously stated, Cannon Lake will support LPDDR4, which looks to be coming in about 6 months. I can't even imagine why you think that it would be delayed for 4 or more years.
    Actually, 10nm volume production is delayed to next year.
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_discusses_10nm_future_14nm_plans_and_spectre/1

    And so, therefore we’re comfortable with the 14-nanometer roadmap that will give us leadership products in the next 12 to 18 months, as we seek to optimize the cost structure and yields of our 10-nanometer portfolio.”
    I've read from late 2018 to early 2019 so I averaged at around 6 months. Either way, it's coming down the line so I don't see why you'd make a statement about 16GiB being the max in 4 years. I can't see how any potential delay would make Cannon Lake take more than 48 months.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,073member
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    6-core, 32GB ... LPDD4. Doesn't that sound suspicious? Unless it is 16GB, Apple would say that they could not do that in the form factor of the current MBP coz of battery life issues. Guess will have to wait and watch.
    Why would Apple say that?
    They can say that two years ago, but not another two years.  It will be laughable to stuck in 16GiB for 4 years.
    Intel mobile processors for the MBP that support LPDDR4 are now becoming available so why do you think Apple would not be using LPDDR4 in 4 years, or even with the next spec bump to applicable Intel processors?
    Which one?  Either i7-8750H, 8850H and 8950HK are not supporting LPDDR4.  Not even the low-power U and Xeon Mobile.
    As previously stated, Cannon Lake will support LPDDR4, which looks to be coming in about 6 months. I can't even imagine why you think that it would be delayed for 4 or more years.
    Actually, 10nm volume production is delayed to next year.
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_discusses_10nm_future_14nm_plans_and_spectre/1

    And so, therefore we’re comfortable with the 14-nanometer roadmap that will give us leadership products in the next 12 to 18 months, as we seek to optimize the cost structure and yields of our 10-nanometer portfolio.”
    I've read from late 2018 to early 2019 so I averaged at around 6 months. Either way, it's coming down the line so I don't see why you'd make a statement about 16GiB being the max in 4 years. I can't see how any potential delay would make Cannon Lake take more than 48 months.
    Well, Intel will probably update their 9th generation processors with 14nm again if it’s in 12-18 months.  If you count the month, 10nm will be somewhere around mid and late 2019.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 37 of 50
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 855member
    DuhSesame said:
    I guess they finally understand that Intel were just as slow as their current speed of refresh...  Their 10nm were way too ambitious, which is why they just keep optimizing the 14nm ever and ever.  Then again, 14nm have its limit, and every new processors are just getting hotter and hotter.  Their microarchitecture haven't change since Skylake either because the same reason (Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, (and refresh?), Cannonlake), making it the longest cycle in their history.
    I'm not certain that these specs are legit. There is no i9 support in 10.13.5, let alone 10.13.4 as specified in the benchmark. I guess we'll see.
    I doubt it as well, but Apple could easily apply a patch to it during a local build of the same version.   It is too easy to spoof these "Apple benchmarks" that we see from time to time.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,501member
    FYI: That core boost to 4.1Ghz isn't across all six cores.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    The Hexacore alleged MacBook Pro with 32 GB RAM is faster on many tasks than the 2013 Mac Pro with 12 cores!
    Wow if True.

  • Reply 40 of 50
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,170member
    MacPro said:
    Well if it is true my wife is about to inherit my 2017 MBP! :)
    Trust me, get her an iPad
Sign In or Register to comment.