Apple's new 30W USB-C power adapter replaces older 29W model

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2018
Apple has quietly replaced a previous 29-watt USB-C power adapter with a 30-watt model, something of interest not just to 12-inch MacBook owners but people with specific iPhones and iPad Pros.

Apple 30W USB-C adapter

The accessory provides "optimal charging performance" with the MacBook, which has a built-in USB-C port, Apple says. It also enables fast charging for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X, as well as 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. All 9.7-inch iPads are excluded.

The adapter doesn't come with a cable of its own, meaning buyers will have to repurpose existing cables or buy new ones. iPhone and iPad owners will likely have to buy USB-C-to-Lightning cables, since even the iPhone X comes with USB-A-to-Lightning.

Some iPhone owners have complained about Apple's decision to support fast charging but continue including basic 5-watt adapters by default, presumably because it would've cost more in both parts and packaging to include something powerful. Apple has been rumored as upgrading to an 18-watt USB-C wall charger for this fall's iPhones.

While it can take as long as two and a half hours to charge an iPhone 8 Plus with a 5-watt adapter, using a 29-watt adapter can cut that time down by an hour.

The 30-watt adapter costs $49. As of this writing, online orders can be delivered as soon as Thursday, and the accessory should be available at retail outlets by the end of the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    I guess we now have a definative answer to whether or not the new iPad (2018) supports fast charging. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    What I wonder is if fast charging reduces the life of the battery. Electric cars that also rely on lithium batteries see a significant drop in battery longevity if always choosing rapid chargers.  I realize the voltage and wattages are dramatically higher in that case, but the battery packs in these cars are still made up of hundreds of small battery cells.  Roll the clock forward a few years and there may be complaints from phone owners that had higher wattage chargers instead of the 5 watt model. Perhaps the convenience of fast charging is worth replacing the phone battery more often?  Does dramatically higher charging wattage increase the risk of a sudden battery failure? An enemy of batteries is heat. I expect that phones on high wattage chargers have a much warmer battery when charging. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Generally charge overnight, so one hour or 2-1/2 hours doesn't make much difference to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Did I miss a mention of the AirPower matt, or did that just get completely glossed over?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Nah.....thank you. IphoneX dont need constant charging, one full charge at night lasted me the whole day.....got cheap wireless chargers all over the house 🏠...good enough for this old fart
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Bought the 29 Watt USB C Adapter to replace the glacial charging of buy iPad Pro on the included 5 watt charger.

Do not waste your money.

I later bought an Anker Powerport 2 Elite (24 watt) with IQ charging. It does a better job than either Apple charger and can charge 2 devices at once and optimize the charging of both. They are a whole $12.99 on Amazon and you can then buy a nice matching cord wrapped cable and neither are white.

minicoffeegatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    "iPhone and iPad owners will likely have to buy USB-C-to-Lightning cables, since even the iPhone X comes with USB-A-to-Lightning."

Yea thanks Apple!!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Did I miss a mention of the AirPower matt, or did that just get completely glossed over?
    As of this moment, Apple has not said a word about AirPower at WWDC.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Does this fast charging wear out the iPhone battery faster?  I used to use my 12w iPad charger on my old iP6+ and while it was great that it fully charged in a little over an hour, I think it contributed to the battery barely holding a charge after six months of use.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Fast charging really isn't worth the money. It's only faster under 50% and then it's the same speed as the 12W charger. I always charge @12W and my 7 Plus was still at 100% battery health more than a year after launch day when I sold it. I try and stay between 40-80% for the most part, never let it get below 20%, and don't leave it on the charger once it reaches 100%. Avoiding heat/cold helps too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The 12W iPad charger is a far better value for iPhones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So it's normal for my iPad Pro to take all day to recharge?