Next-gen Apple Watch models to integrate solid-state buttons & EKG functions, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

elfig2012 said:
    Yeah right!
    and will this new design also be not upgradable after 2years like with iOS12?
    all these thousands of users that purchased  the first generation are now left in the cold!
    Bullshit. We’re talking about watchOS 5 not working on the original Series 0. It ain’t no two years...

Further, we aren’t left in the cold. My 0 continues to run and will run in the fall. Not having the latest version doesn’t mean it ceases to exist, durr.
    king editor the gratedoozydozenmelgrosscaladanianclaire1Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

esaruoho said:
    A friend just asked me why I don't have an Apple Watch yet. I was thinking "well, it's a bit expensive". Then I see an article like this - with brand new features incoming, and that is actually a better reason: "there'll be more features soon, so why buy now?" Guess I'm not the only one.
    Quite silly logic, as there is always new sexy around the corner with more. You’d never be able to buy anything. 

The AW is a smash success and was an overnight billion dollar business. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:
    roake said:
    ascii said:
    I wish they would add some kind of feedback (taptic or otherwise) to the AirPods buttons, those are horrible.
    The AirPods have buttons?
    If you double-tap on them it can launch customisable functions (such as Siri).
    Not a button. The entire units themselves are respondent to impact/taps. 
    Mine must be faulty then because they only work if I tap right on the accelerometer.
    GeorgeBMacAlex1N
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    The “flat button” on my watch kind of sticks. I do a lot of bouldering, suspect that sweat plus chalk dust are to blame. (Climbing is also responsible for a nice little scrape up in the corner, guess I’ll be going with stainless steel for the sapphire screen next time...)
    cornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The “flat button” on my watch kind of sticks. I do a lot of bouldering, suspect that sweat plus chalk dust are to blame. (Climbing is also responsible for a nice little scrape up in the corner, guess I’ll be going with stainless steel for the sapphire screen next time...)
    Yeah, solid state buttons may be the way to go here if they’re reliable. I wonder if the “Digital Crown” will go as well. There’s really no reason for it, if they’re going with solid state buttons and turn the bezel itself into a touch scroll bar. The only drawback is water, but that’s true now. I imagine the Taptic Engine could be used to trigger a scroll bar by taps, in much the same way clicking along the length of a scroll bar advances the screen without the smooth scrolling action on the Mac.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Hey Siri, pause my workout. 

Hey Siri, end my workout.  

Who needs buttons?  

Besides, solid state doesn’t mean touch sensitive like Touch ID.  It can be force sensitive meaning it can work wet or through gloves.  
    mac_128melgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    If I don’t rinse the watch periodically after some sweaty workouts, or just plain work, I find similar.  

I just rinse with warm running water, pushing the crown and side button while doing it. No problems. 
    caladanianEric_WVGGAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, since the single sensors in my model 3 may just have saved my life a couple of weeks ago, I  think that waiting on the excuse of more sensors is senseless.
    matrix077claire1Alex1Nwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 49
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    matrix077 said:
    So tough to deal with the watch when you are drenched in a humid day after a run. Just stopping the activity is rough. They have to work on that sort of thing, no matter what the technology. 
    Press on the crown & side button at the same time to pause it. Wipe your hand, then stop your workout any time you’d like. 
    Really? Huh, good to know. Guessing this is just for Apples Workout app right? I use Strava and would love to have a physical pause button for these sweaty situations and for winter when my “touchscreen” gloves aren’t playing nice. I’ve considered switching to Apples’ app. The UI looks great and I generally just like to use first party solutions when possible. The holdback with Workout though is the lack of a web portal or something like that for viewing stats, running reports, etc. unless I’m missing something. From what I can tell it just dumps them into Activity and the info you can view there is pretty limited 

Not sure about Strava but works for me on NRC too. They open this command in watchOS 4. Not sure Strava have implemented it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 49
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    eriamjh said:
    Hey Siri, pause my workout. 

Hey Siri, end my workout.  

Who needs buttons?  

Besides, solid state doesn’t mean touch sensitive like Touch ID.  It can be force sensitive meaning it can work wet or through gloves.  
    Soon you don’t even have to say Hey Siri. Just “Pause my workout”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    ireland said:
    Just don’t read the comments on this story over on MR. What a bunch of entitled whining, know it all, know nothing, babies. I swear, if the users over there won the lottery they’d complain that the amount the won wasn’t an even number.
    Haven’t been over there in years. Not worth it.
    wonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

lukei said:
    elfig2012 said:
    Yeah right!
    all these thousands of users that purchased  the first generation are now left in the cold!
    No they aren’t 
      They have a fully functioning watch that did more than they originally thought it did when they bought it due to subsequent upgrades 
    Definitely. I have an old gen0 that I got off a coworker. I love it and have no real desire to upgrade. Don’t need cellular, I can use Apple Pay with my 5s which is on me at basically any time I’d be making payments, I can take calls on it virtually any time since my 5s is always close enough... unless it craps out on me or the screen pops off I’m pretty satisfied with it. 

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 49
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    eriamjh said:
    Who needs buttons?  

That's what I thought this was? Not sure why people are going bananas over this?

mac_128 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Yeah, solid state buttons may be the way to go here if they’re reliable. I wonder if the “Digital Crown” will go as well. There’s really no reason for it, if they’re going with solid state buttons and turn the bezel itself into a touch scroll bar. The only drawback is water, but that’s true now. I imagine the Taptic Engine could be used to trigger a scroll bar by taps, in much the same way clicking along the length of a scroll bar advances the screen without the smooth scrolling action on the Mac.
    I suggested this here years ago when the Apple Watch launched and all the Apple fans pounced on me!! I always thought the Digital Crown was too old school and could have had better Apple-like implementation.
    (This is a second account to one that has thousands of posts...)
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    An EKG sensor would be HUGE. Older people would be buying them like crazy and since you need to have an iPhone with the Apple Watch they'd have to buy or switch to an iPhone too. HUGE for Apple Watch and iPhone sales. HUGE HUGE HUGE!!!

Now the long talked about glucose monitoring would be revolutionary bar none too but I think a built in EKG ("constant" monitoring would be the best especially if didn't have to do anything such as use a finger on the second hand) is more important as heart issues or concerns are a much larger population. Of course glucose monitoring would be result in every diabetic getting one no doubt about that.

The health aspect is larger than any fitness market (albeit health and fitness are tied together).

Get rid of the digital crown, it was hokey to begin with. There are better ways to achieve the same inputs. Apple overthought it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 49
    I hope they keep support for the series 1 for a while. I think they will since they're still selling them. But while I love my Apple Watch and wear it every day. (And it sometimes even motivates me to get to the gym) I really don't want to purchase a new one more than every four years.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    matrix077 said:
    So tough to deal with the watch when you are drenched in a humid day after a run. Just stopping the activity is rough. They have to work on that sort of thing, no matter what the technology. 
    Press on the crown & side button at the same time to pause it. Wipe your hand, then stop your workout any time you’d like. 
    Really? Huh, good to know. Guessing this is just for Apples Workout app right? I use Strava and would love to have a physical pause button for these sweaty situations and for winter when my “touchscreen” gloves aren’t playing nice. I’ve considered switching to Apples’ app. The UI looks great and I generally just like to use first party solutions when possible. The holdback with Workout though is the lack of a web portal or something like that for viewing stats, running reports, etc. unless I’m missing something. From what I can tell it just dumps them into Activity and the info you can view there is pretty limited 
    Yep!
    The Black Hole...  It stems from Apple using mainstream, casual exercisers who don't much care what the details of their workout were.   They're happy with averages and pretty picture graphs that don't tell you anything.

To paraphrase a well known guy:  "This is crap!   Fix it!"
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49

Yeh, Or, even worse, if it's raining out.  The touch screen doesn't work for crap.

Actually, that's one of several reasons why serious athletes/runners commonly choose Garmins over Apple Watch.  It's controlled by physical buttons instead of a capacitive touch screen that work much better under stress and adverse conditions.  

With Apple pushing their Watch further into the exercise realm, they should no longer be ignoring that limitation -- much less expanding it.
    I’ve never heard that reason cited before, ever. Battery life, yes, but never the claim that the AW can’t be controlled by physical buttons, since, you know, it can. Link?
    You have no idea what you are talking about...   Educate yourself.  It's not my job.
    larrya
  • Reply 38 of 49
    melgross said:
    Well, since the single sensors in my model 3 may just have saved my life a couple of weeks ago, I  think that waiting on the excuse of more sensors is senseless.
    Glad to hear that you're (apparently) doing better.   I hope that means that you're doing very well!
    Alex1N
  • Reply 39 of 49
    cornchip said:

lukei said:
    elfig2012 said:
    Yeah right!
    No they aren’t 
      They have a fully functioning watch that did more than they originally thought it did when they bought it due to subsequent upgrades 
    Definitely. I have an old gen0 that I got off a coworker. I love it and have no real desire to upgrade. Don’t need cellular, I can use Apple Pay with my 5s which is on me at basically any time I’d be making payments, I can take calls on it virtually any time since my 5s is always close enough... unless it craps out on me or the screen pops off I’m pretty satisfied with it. 

When I went from a Series 0 to a Series 1 I noticed a lot of little small (mostly efficiency) improvements that made just nicer to live with.  Most people who have upgraded have said the same.  It seems to be worth it
    Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    Glad to hear that you're (apparently) doing better.   I hope that means that you're doing very well!
    Thanks,  but actually after getting out of the hospital after 4 days, I ended going back in, where is where I am now. Again, my watch gave me a warning. Without going into it, I developed additional complications. And again, without the warning from the watch, I would have found out too late.
    edited June 2018 Alex1Nwatto_cobrapatchythepirate