Testing the speed of iOS 11 versus iOS 12 on the iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 2

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    tylersdad said:
    I realize this isn't the final release of the OS, but...

The results for the mini don't really seem that impressive. You're saving a second here and there on apps that take 15+ seconds to launch. It's nice to see Apple focusing on improving performance, but this will likely do little for those of us who don't buy the latest and greatest.
    On my iPhone SE, what I notice most is the elimination of some split second hitches and stutters that occasionally happened in iOS 11.  The consistency and smoothness, along with more responsive app launch is very much welcome.  This all leads to the perception of a buttery smooth experience that has been missing for some time. Great update!
    propod
  • Reply 42 of 59
    If you’re going to repost this, you really need note up top that these are results from June when the first beta of iOS 12 was released and not the final current version. It would be very interesting to redo these test and compare iPhones/iPads running iOS 11 and iOS 12
    Solidysamoriaredgeminipa
  • Reply 43 of 59
    hentaiboy said:
    Can’t wait for iOS 12. 11 serously f#$&*d the performance of my Air 2 😡
    I still have iOS8 on my Air 1 because of a bad experience I had upgrading a 4s to iOS8. I just don't have high confidence in iOS updates after that experience. Not sure if I will even upgrade my X to iOS 12.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 59
    I'd rather see a comparison against iOS 10, not the "unbearable" iOS 11.

...and people wonder why I didn't update to iOS 11...
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    Perhaps given this is beta one it’s not a sensible moment to do speed test comparisons.
    It's always good to test performance improvements. Whether it's major updates or point updates it's good to know what kind of changes, especially with performance, have changed since the last update. This is especially true after a keynote that repeatedly stated that performance will be improving.
    beta release usually have debug code that slow down the system. The test here mostly show the start time of an app. Having an iPad mini 2, I can see a big difference just in typing in mail, iOS 11 had introduce a problem for my iPad in this regard. I am not sure that using GeekBench for graphic performance is the best way to show this improvement. 
  • Reply 46 of 59
    hentaiboy said:
    I still have iOS8 on my Air 1 because of a bad experience I had upgrading a 4s to iOS8. I just don't have high confidence in iOS updates after that experience. Not sure if I will even upgrade my X to iOS 12.
    I'm sorry, but that's really dumb reasoning.

One bad experience shouldn't prevent you from taking advantage of OS updates, especially since they keep your device more secure. 
    Solimacplusplusredgeminipa
  • Reply 47 of 59
    dysamoria said:

My iPad mini 2 was pretty much unusable even on iOS 10. iOS 12 makes it feel several years newer. It's still a bit laggy, but it's definitely usable now. Before it was just collecting dust.
    Solidysamoriamacpluspluswilliamlondon
  • Reply 48 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    What's up with these old threads being reposted?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 49 of 59
    If you’re going to repost this, you really need note up top that these are results from June when the first beta of iOS 12 was released and not the final current version. It would be very interesting to redo these test and compare iPhones/iPads running iOS 11 and iOS 12
    Yeah, this article reposting really confused me, especially in the first two pages of comments.

Also: Don't repost testing results when they're made irrelevant by a final release.

sigh.
    redgeminipawilliamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Aloysius said:
    dysamoria said:

My iPad mini 2 was pretty much unusable even on iOS 10. iOS 12 makes it feel several years newer. It's still a bit laggy, but it's definitely usable now. Before it was just collecting dust.
    Thanks for that anecdote :-)
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Aloysius said:
    hentaiboy said:
    I'm sorry, but that's really dumb reasoning.

One bad experience shouldn't prevent you from taking advantage of OS updates, especially since they keep your device more secure. 
    It's not at all dumb. It's a loss of a usable device that costs hundreds of dollars. NOT dumb reasoning!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    dysamoria said:
    Yeah, this article reposting really confused me, especially in the first two pages of comments.

Also: Don't repost testing results when they're made irrelevant by a final release.

sigh.
    The speed tests after release are the same. The stuff that's markedly different is being re-examined. The results that are the same are being reposted.
    edited September 2018 macplusplusdysamoriawilliamlondon
  • Reply 53 of 59
    The speed tests after release are the same. The stuff that's markedly different is being re-examined. The results that are the same are being reposted.
    Okay, this is nice to know but should really be at the top of the article for everyone.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 54 of 59
    My iPhone 6 under iOS 11 was severely testing my patience every hour of every day. iOS 12 has given me my life back. For example, apps now take an average of 8 seconds to launch instead of 18 seconds. It's so much better, I may postpone my plans to upgrade to the XS, though the improved camera is sorely tempting me. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 55 of 59
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Apple's improvements in iOS 12 have nothing to do with the processor, so really not sure what the Geekbench numbers were for. It's all efficiency of code, and yes -- it makes a very notable difference on my iPhone 6s, less so (but still noticeable for improved smoothness) on my 2017 iPad.
    edited September 2018 redgeminipadysamoria
  • Reply 56 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    chasm said:
    Apple's improvements in iOS 12 have nothing to do with the processor, so really not sure what the Geekbench numbers were for. It's all efficiency of code, and yes -- it makes a very notable difference on my iPhone 6s, less so (but still noticeable for improved smoothness) on my 2017 iPad.
    Haven't they adjusted the speed of the CPU and GPU cores in an update in the past?
  • Reply 57 of 59
    dysamoria said:
    I'd like to see comparisons between iOS 12 and iOS 10, made on an iPhone 6s and iPad Pro 12.9" first generation. I've refused to put iOS 11 on either device due to how newer OS versions historically make existing devices slower/laggy.
    Why not compare an HP desktop running DOS to Windows 10?   Wouldn't that be just as informative -- and give you  bullets to criticize Microsoft for "intentionally slowing down older devices"?

Like DOS, iOS10 is an outdated operating system no longer relevant.   There is no legitimate reason to run a comparison with it.
    This is one of the most asinine comments I've read here in a long time.  Bordering on Nunzy-like.

There is an excellent reason to compare, because iOS 10 is still used by roughly 10% of the user base.  With about 1.5 billion active iOS users that means on the order of 150 million users currently using iOS 10.  Myself included, on multiple devices.  Hell, 5% of active devices are running versions of iOS <10.

A comparison is more than justified because many people experienced poor performance when migrating to iOS 11, and others, after hearing many of these such tales decided to not "upgrade" at all.  It's possible that iOS 12 will provide a better experience than either iOS 10 or iOS 11, but without direct comparisons, who is to know?
    Or, another analogy:   When I started in IT in the 80's, we were instructed to use extreme measures to increase program efficiency and reduce storage (particularly DASD storage) because CPU power and disk storage were so limited -- to the extent of using 2 digit years knowing that it would blow up the system at the upcoming turn of the century.   But, hardware resources were limited so software was adjusted accordingly -- despite the limitations that imposed on the software...
    Yeah, yeah.  And I wrote code in the 70s and 80s that had to be optimized using techniques that you probably wouldn't even understand unless you have a background in both CS and EE (hardware).

But who the f*k cares?!  It's just a weird tangent that has nothing to do with millions of people choosing to stick with a solid version of iOS for whatever reasons.
    Soli
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    Perhaps given this is beta one it’s not a sensible moment to do speed test comparisons.
    It's always good to test performance improvements. Whether it's major updates or point updates it's good to know what kind of changes, especially with performance, have changed since the last update. This is especially true after a keynote that repeatedly stated that performance will be improving.
    What does the speed of your device matter? It's designed by Apple to be the way it is. We are not using Android devices (though, if you are, I question your presence on a predominantly gossipy "Apple" tabloid website). Since Apple came into being they have consistently said of all new models and generations "at Apple we've all worked very hard to increase performance, stability, etc.," while the specification which always holds true of Apple is that their products are destined to be looked upon as so, soooo thin, such slender things of beauty to see, touch, scratch 'n' sniff. Each keynote is always summed using disingenuous revelations telling us "you get more of everything for less money" the truth being you get far less when parting with more money than you would for Windows and Android hardware.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    What does the speed of your device matter? It's designed by Apple to be the way it is. We are not using Android devices (though, if you are, I question your presence on a predominantly gossipy "Apple" tabloid website). Since Apple came into being they have consistently said of all new models and generations "at Apple we've all worked very hard to increase performance, stability, etc.," while the specification which always holds true of Apple is that their products are destined to be looked upon as so, soooo thin, such slender things of beauty to see, touch, scratch 'n' sniff. Each keynote is always summed using disingenuous revelations telling us "you get more of everything for less money" the truth being you get far less when parting with more money than you would for Windows and Android hardware.
    You're responding to posts a year old, and being disrespectful to a couple of long time Apple users and fans who also have opinions just as valid as yours if not more so.

Take time to know the players before being rude to them. Better yet don't be rude to begin with. You can write an insightful post and still avoid making it personal as tho you were somehow being intentionally insulted by something written in September of 2018.
    lorin schultz