Here are all the big changes to Apple Maps from 2017 through 2019

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    slurpy said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    I don’t understand why Maps isn’t more significantly updated weekly through the App Store. 
    What kind of updates are you looking for? Things like new roads, public transit directions, POI's, etc don't require an app update. 
    The sort of stuff that makes Google Maps 100million times better than Apple Maps. 
    100million times eh? These types of posts are all bullshit. I use Google and Apple maps pretty intercheably for navigation so that I can compare the two. I can't remember the last time Google maps gave me a better route than Apple maps. I've found Apple maps to be more reliable, with a much easier to glance UI, better designed layout, icons, contrast, smoothness, voice, and just general stability. You can tell that Apple put more care in obvious details that Google has neglected for years. It has also been more accurate for me, and given me more efficient and updated routes, on MANY occasions. Yes, Google Maps still has an advantage in POIs, due to the fact that Google is basically a data collection company, and they won't lose that advantage anytime soon. But to claim that Google Maps is massively better in every single respect, or that Apple maps is trash, is absolute horse-shit. Apple has done a tremendous job improving Maps since release.
    Slurpy, FWIW Google recently made some fairly significant changes to their Maps app. 
    https://9to5google.com/2019/01/08/google-assistant-maps-navigation/

Of course those changes don't mean Apple Maps still isn't better for you, but Google isn't letting Maps languish anymore than Apple is. IMO they drive each other to be better.

AND yes I agree that it's puffery when a poster claims this or that is 100 times better. 
    edited January 2019 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 102 of 121
    Yesterday I found myself in an area of Vancouver I don't know very well, so I asked Siri to give me directions to the Home Depot on Hennings Drive in Burnaby. I got directions to a Home Depot somewhere in California. It might be a better store, but it would have been thousands of miles out of my way and I don't have a passport.

I again specified the street name and city. This time I got a location in the correct country and province, but still not the one I asked for. I gave up after a third try yielded a third location that still wasn't the one I asked for.

Is this a problem with Maps, or is Siri to blame?
    patchythepiratecornchip
  • Reply 103 of 121
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    kkqd1337 said:
    I don’t understand why Maps isn’t more significantly updated weekly through the App Store. 
    Exactly my idea. There are so many contructions going on that are not in maps until 3-4 years after. Maps are useless for everyday commuting, it sent me so many times through the closures or non-existing roads... while the new roads were ready to use instead.
    Wait, do you think all the data in Maps is baked in when you install a new version of macOS? Because that’s not how it works. 
  • Reply 104 of 121
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    gutengel said:
    Maps is still light years behind Goggle Maps. It's still SO glitchy, When I open addresses from emails/messages a lot of times they don't open, so I have to go back and try reopen them again. Searching for addresses sometimes take forever to load (google beast maps in speed almost every time). Most of the times it gives you automatic directions to places, even though I just want to see where something is located, or get direction from a different address, not my current location. No bike roads, no downloadable maps. Apple really need to get their act together with maps, it's pathetic that after so many years maps feels so unfinished and beta-like. 
    I use maps everyday and never have issues. Are you on a iphone 5 or older?

cornchip
  • Reply 105 of 121
    Recently had an opportunity to drive a Nissan Rogue with CarPlay, and I must say, both Apple Maps and Waze are pretty nice in it.  The problem I have with Apple Maps requiring that my radio be turned on when connected via Bluetooth was not an issue with CarPlay, so that's a plus.  I decided to be a wee bit more scientific about things, so on a recent @500 mile trip, I had Apple Maps running, and my wife had Waze running in standalone mode.  The arrival time estimates on that long a trip were close enough, i.e. less than 5 minutes, to each other that I discount that as a difference, and they converged to virtually identical as we got closer to our destination, but with regard to the near real-time traffic updates and redirection, Waze still had the edge.

On the return trip, we used Waze in CarPlay, and Apple Maps in standalone mode, and the results were about the same.  Reporting traffic problems in Waze while driving would be problematic though, as the screen on the Rogue is positioned such that I'd actually have to take my eyes off the road to do so, while I don't with the position of my phone in my own car.  I suspect that enabling the voice commands in Waze (if that feature still exists) would mitigate that problem though. 
  • Reply 106 of 121
     I want to love Apple Maps, but it just isn’t happening. I dumped everything google a while back due to distrust. Haven’t found a Maps solution anywhere as good, unfortunately.  For some unknown reason, Apple just doesn’t seem to pay attention to the details in that particular app. 
  • Reply 107 of 121
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    genovelle said:
    gutengel said:
    Maps is still light years behind Goggle Maps. It's still SO glitchy, When I open addresses from emails/messages a lot of times they don't open, so I have to go back and try reopen them again. Searching for addresses sometimes take forever to load (google beast maps in speed almost every time). Most of the times it gives you automatic directions to places, even though I just want to see where something is located, or get direction from a different address, not my current location. No bike roads, no downloadable maps. Apple really need to get their act together with maps, it's pathetic that after so many years maps feels so unfinished and beta-like. 
    I use maps everyday and never have issues. Are you on a iphone 5 or older?

Same here...I use Apple Maps all the time and have never had any issues. 

The issue is, there's a perceived issue of Apple Maps sucks as it wasn't very good when it first came out. To some people, it's as if Apple hasn't ever done anything to Apple Maps since it came out. They go in with a negative connotation and carry it from there with any little issue that may arise. 
  • Reply 108 of 121
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
     I want to love Apple Maps, but it just isn’t happening. I dumped everything google a while back due to distrust. Haven’t found a Maps solution anywhere as good, unfortunately.  For some unknown reason, Apple just doesn’t seem to pay attention to the details in that particular app. 
    What exactly do you mean not pay attention to the details?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 109 of 121
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    2stepbay said:
     Apple Maps is absolutely terrible providing poor search results. 

Well, if business & people would take the minute & a half it takes to put their business into Apple Maps maybe it wouldn't be such a problem.

On a related note, while Apple maps doesn't technically have flyover yet for my town, my brother got a use iPad Pro the other day and we were playing around with Maps and BOOM! our town was in 3D! I freaked out and pulled up maps on my iPad Pro and Nothin! flat as a pancake! I have the screen grabs to prove it. Not sure what's going on there. Also my town isn't on the official list of Maps drive-by cities, but an Apple Maps van definitely drove by my work a couple months ago. I emailed them and they confirmed that indeed they were conducting Mapping data gathering but just hadn't updated the web page yet. So Apple is much farther ahead in Maps than they are letting on. Just wondering when they're going to drop the big update.
  • Reply 110 of 121
    It works well for me in Sheffield England with buses etc on there and seems more accurate than Google Maps
    AND they are not storing my data in the same way as Google...

I have deleted all Google apps for this reason

• Reply 111 of 121
    Indoor Maps has extended coverage to more than 40 malls in Australia, 

I noticed our mall shows our position including what floor we are on. That’s great. 

But will “find friends” show me my friends position in the mall, including what floor they’re on?
  • Reply 112 of 121
    stpatstpat Posts: 13member
    And yet I still can't click on the stupid little round icons and see WTF I'm looking at...so annoying. You know it's a restaurant, great, which one is it?
  • Reply 113 of 121
    Turn-by-turn directions have finally come to the world's second-biggest country, India.”

I think you mean “second most populated country,” as India is the seventh-biggest country. 
  • Reply 114 of 121
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    Is it wrong for me to want Siri to shut up, especially when she thinks I've overshot a turn or something ("In 120 feet, make a U-turn....In a quarter mile make a left turn...."). All in Chicago rush hour traffic--Ha!

I just want a verbal command to be quiet without having to use my hands on the device in heavy traffic.

And I want to change routes by dragging and refreshing the suggest route to a new location, as I usually have a better grasp of the best way to go than the Maps option, which often relies on jogging over two blocks only to double back, and uses much slower routes than I would normally pick.
  • Reply 115 of 121
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Apple's Maps app is improving, but I don't think it will reach Google anytime in the next few years for sure. I still use Google Maps most of the time, but I've been trying out Apple Maps every once in a while. They seem to be getting more reliable. My brother's house is finally in the correct place, and it doesn't seem to have as many errors. However, wow, does it ever give verbose instructions! I almost turned it off when it told me the about a turn the fourth time.
  • Reply 116 of 121
    The August 2019 update to Maps includes all of Texas, Louisiana, and the lower half of Mississippi. It is vastly improved.
  • Reply 117 of 121
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I go to Burning Man every year and last year I tried to use Apple's maps.   There was nothing for Gerlach, NV the roads all ended!  I just checked on my iMac and Gerlach is now shown, but zoom out a little bit and look to the east and virtually all info disappears.   It is like this for large swaths of Nevada, the state I grew up in and where I frequently visit and camp.    If one is driving off the major highways and using CarPlay it is simply a blank map.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 118 of 121
    T_R_ST_R_S Posts: 14member
    apple seriously needs to get there %ucking $shit together
    maps.apple.com
    VS
    maps.google.com
    WTF Apple ? are you completely  stupid?
  • Reply 119 of 121
    T_R_ST_R_S Posts: 14member
    maps.apple.com VS maps.google.com REALLY?????!!!!!
  • Reply 120 of 121
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    T_R_S said:
    maps.apple.com VS maps.google.com REALLY?????!!!!!
    Wut.